• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: Microsoft won't announce any new games at TGAs

GnawtyDog

Banned
these don't even have official dates yet, besides for disgaea 5, iirc. and that poster talked about early 2015. as it stands, it's basically the order and bloodborne in comparison to screamride, state of decay and ori. i think the ps4 has the stronger lineup in the first months, too, but am I missing games that would extend this supposed huge gap in quantity of exclusives from here until march?

From here until the end of 2015 you stack those titles listed as 2015 on top of the "indies" and the "confirmed" to release in 2015 and it's really not close. Which is the statement being addressed - "close". Both platforms will have E3 announcements that will pad the lists - and the difference whether a plus or minus for MS won't matter overall.

But that's list wars for you. Relative to the PS4, Xbox One's 2015 exclusives are not quite as "numerous" unless you prefer Xbox One exclusives and/or have no choice because you bought only the Xbox One.

The idea that the Xbox One has no games is ridiculous though.....but that does not need mentioning.

Rembrandt

Banned
From here until the end of the year you stack those titles listed as 2015 on top of the indies and the "confirmed" to release and it's really not close. Which is the statement being addressed - "close".

the whole last page basically revolved around GHB and he said several times he was talking about Q1 and maybe Q2. In that timespan, there isn't a huge gap in titles that actually have release dates. Indies have the ability to randomly appear whenever, so that list could grow on each system, but that's really besides the point.

The first half of 2015 looks pretty empty for Microsoft.(in terms of exclusives)
I thought they will at least have some exclusive indies announced for that time period.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
The thing is you only play exclusives on your XB1 because you play multiplats on the PS4, for someone that doesn't have a PS4 there will be games to play early next year.

Your argument seems to only relate to multi-console owners who prefer to play games on the PS4.
But hasn't the opposite been true the whole past year? I have been reading quite a many comments about there not being any games on PS4, because it has only indies, multiplatforms and games that do not tickle Xbox One owners' fancy.

The first half of 2015 looks pretty empty for Microsoft.(in terms of exclusives)
I thought they will at least have some exclusive indies announced for that time period.

You never know with indies, but unless they release in the next few weeks, #IDARB, FRU, SpeedRunners and Spectra are some of the likely candidates. There will undoubtedly be some indie exclusives or "exclusives" releasing on all platforms over the next few months, but one of the advantages of being an indie developer is working on your own time table, so it's hard to know those things in advance.

Rembrandt

Banned
Ori would have to have serious problems if it's not out by February/March.

yeah, I doubt MS would let that or State of Decay get pushed back, specifically because of big exclusives early in. I see them releasing a lot more indie titles to supplement third party titles.

You never know with indies, but unless they release in the next few weeks, #IDARB, FRU, SpeedRunners and Spectra are some of the likely candidates. There will undoubtedly be some indie exclusives or "exclusives" releasing on all platforms over the next few months, but one of the advantages of being an indie developer is working on your own time table, so it's hard to know those things in advance.

That's true for all platforms though.

So it's not something that's taken as an assumption until we actually get dates.

JaggedSac

Yeh 100%. You got me.

That and sinking over 50 hours into Horizon 2. But mainly to bitch on neogaf.

Think I'll leave this as it is. I've stated my opinion. But apparently every other Xbox one owner is ok with there being no exclusives early next year. I'll jog along now.

Hell, I will still be trying to complete all the games I've bought this holiday.

That list is oozing with quality.

I personally can't wait to play indies, indies, indies. I wonder what it's gonna scale on the metacritic.

Don't play dumb and pretend you don't know what I was gettign at. I can easily write out a list of every ID@Xbox game coming out that hasn't been announced for competing platforms, but I'm sure once I do that, the goal posts would change.

The idea that the Xbox One has no games is ridiculous though.....but that does not need mentioning.

I think that's the thing that bugs me really.

Like, ya, the PS4's output next year in terms of 1st party and "exclusive" games (whether they be timed or not) is much better (this shouldn't need to be stated, but IMO) than Microsoft's. I don't think you will see many arguing that.

However, the narative that MS first party has no games, or that Xbox One owners have nothing to play is completely rediculous. I posted the list, which can be A LOT bigger if I include the "exclusive" ID@Xbox games. Sure, not every game will be great and some might be "padding" the stats, but there is plenty of variety and games to be had no matter what system you own next year. Whether you like the game's or not, that's on you, but the game's are there.

This sounds stupid as a write it...

but the fact that the X1 Q1 is looking a little "weaker" in terms of exclusives is actually nice for me since I can properly spend my time with The Order and Bloodborne and not have to *hopefully* spend more money and increase the backlog even more. I'm sure some indie games will stealth release and ruin this money saving plan though -.-

wapplew

I think that's the thing that bugs me really.

Like, ya, the PS4's output next year in terms of 1st party and "exclusive" games (whether they be timed or not) is much better (this shouldn't need to be stated, but IMO) than Microsoft's. I don't think you will see many arguing that.

However, the narative that MS first party has no games, or that Xbox One owners have nothing to play is completely rediculous. I posted the list, which can be A LOT bigger if I include the "exclusive" ID@Xbox games. Sure, not every game will be great and some might be "padding" the stats, but there is plenty of variety and games to be had no matter what system you own next year. Whether you like the game's or not, that's on you, but the game's are there.

I think they are about the same on AAA retail, AA downloadables and indies, one spread out, another focus on holiday.
But the different this time, PS4 start getting Japanese third party support in 2015.

I just find it amazing that the very same people who called out Sony for having a poor hoilday line up (well a poor line up all year) and relying on indies on multiplats..

....are now saying a slow Q1-2 is fine because of indies and multiplats.

It just shows the whole thing to be silly. Every console goes through lulls in software. The Xbox one will pick up on the exclusive front Q3 into Q4, just like Sony will have releases sprinkled throughout the year, mostly due to this years games being delayed, culminating in a massive hoilday spearheaded by Uncharted.

I just hope Microsoft is investing in making smaller games later in the gen to ofset their very loaded hoilday seasons.

JaggedSac

I just find it amazing that the very same people who called out Sony for having a poor hoilday line up (well a poor line up all year) and relying on indies on multiplats..

Come on man/woman, don't leave us hangin. List names and quotes.

TomShoe

Banned
This sounds stupid as a write it...

but the fact that the X1 Q1 is looking a little "weaker" in terms of exclusives is actually nice for me since I can properly spend my time with The Order and Bloodborne and not have to *hopefully* spend more money and increase the backlog even more. I'm sure some indie games will stealth release and ruin this money saving plan though -.-

A little? PS4 is practically running unopposed for all of Early 2015. Microsoft won't have much to answer back until Quantum Break in the summer.

m23

So this thread went places.

On topic, now that we know no new games will be announced from Microsoft, what are possible showings? Personally hoping for a Halo 5 beta or even story trailer and Quantum Break trailer. Maybe throw in a trailer for Ori, that e3 trailer was something.

That's a false equivalence. The first conversation you mention was centered around exclusive, primarily first party releases, and what some of us have been debunking here is the notion that Xbox One owners won't have anything to play over the coming months, not the admittedly poor exclusive showing in the AAA space.

Furthermore, as far as confirmed exclusive releases go, both Sony and Microsoft have relatively poor Q1 and Q2 line-ups at the moment (with Sony certainly faring better), so there's not a big contrast one can point a finger at.

But even if one was to indulge you, having a poor holiday line-up (when the bulk of sales are traditionally made, making it the period targeted by most bigger titles) is completely different than having a slow start of the year, and having a poor line-up all year is even worse. A slow start is unfortunate, but looking at how the first half of the year usually pans out, it's understandable and expected. This year also had a slow start with only Titanfall and Infamous (and perhaps MLB: The Show and Kinect Sports) as their respective consoles' notable releases.

Xando

That's a false equivalence. The first conversation you mention was centered around exclusive, primarily first party releases, and what some of us have been debunking here is the notion that Xbox One owners won't have anything to play over the coming months, not the admittedly poor exclusive showing in the AAA space.

Furthermore, as far as confirmed exclusive releases go, both Sony and Microsoft have relatively poor Q1 and Q2 line-ups at the moment (with Sony certainly faring better), so there's not a big contrast one can point a finger at.

Wat?

Sony has atleast 3 Triple A games in Q1-2. What do you expect, a Triple A game every month?

Ratchet & Clank, Bloodborne and The Order:1886 is 'relatively poor'?

Oh.

Sigh.

As it stands, it's 3v3.

Order, Bloodborne, MLB15 v Screamride, Ori, SoD.

3 retail titles vs 1 ,if you care so much about such foolish semantics.

State of decay is getting a retail release too.

If anyone had read my posts about this, they'd stop speculating/hoping we'll see Scalebound and Quantum Break. Phil Spencer has already said we won't see more on those until 2015

PhatSaqs

Banned
MS deserves to get kicked for lack of big Q1 releases just as Sony deserves to get kicked for lack of big Q4 releases. Some will say that exclusives dont matter much these days anyway (I disagree) but there's that segment of GAF too.

Wat?

Sony has atleast 3 Triple A games in Q1-2. What do you expect, a Triple A game every month?

Already talked about on this very page. The only two retail releases with confirmed dates for Sony are The Order and Bloodborne (although one can expect the annual MLB entry to materialize, even if it's strange for me to think about it in that context since baseball and baseball games are such a non-factor in this part of the world), and the only one for Microsoft is Screamride (and as interesting as it looks, it's certainly not a AAA release).

Your mileage may vary, but I don't see that as a huge difference (especially since based on everything I've seen of it, I expect The Order to be... a game not worthy of a $60 price tag, to put it politely).

MS deserves to get kicked for lack of big Q1 releases just as Sony deserves to get kicked for lack of big Q4 releases. Some will say that exclusives dont matter much these days anyway (I disagree) but there's that segment of GAF too.

Maybe all the concern trolls would say Xbox has games if Forza 5 had been delayed to Sept. 2014 and FH2 to Feb. 2015. That might have helped.

Xando

Your mileage may vary, but I don't see that as a huge difference (especially since based on everything I've seen of it, I expect The Order to be... a game not worthy of a $60 price tag, to put it politely).

So you compare two Triple A games with a downloadable game like Screamride(in which case we should count AA games like The tomorrow Children,Ori and other smaller games aswell) and you want to tell me that these lineups are comparable? what?

Because you're not interested in the order its not worthy 60$? there are plenty of people here on Gaf that think it's worthy 60$.

Usually, Microsoft announce games close to release. I'm pretty sure there's good exclusive stuff coming in Q1 and Q2 and to be honest, i'm not too bothered by it. I'll have tons of games to play and third parties are gonna bring the good for the majority of the first half of 2015.

I'm not impressed on the Sony side either, their exclusives this holiday haven't been that good and the next exclusive i want is "The Order". The rest will be multiplatform.

So all in all, we'll have more than enough games to play on Xbox One.

Guymelef

Maybe all the concern trolls would say Xbox has games if Forza 5 had been delayed to Sept. 2014 and FH2 to Feb. 2015. That might have helped.

Of course.
Kinect Sports Rivals was delayed to this year, if not... not a single MS retail release until this September...
Pre-season after all...

That's a false equivalence. The first conversation you mention was centered around exclusive, primarily first party releases,

Which Microsoft lacks in Q1 as a claimed Sony did in this years Q4

and what some of us have been debunking here is the notion that Xbox One owners won't have anything to play over the coming months, not the admittedly poor exclusive showing in the AAA space.

Which is the exact same response to the ridiculous "PS4 has no games" narrative.

Sony has a big first party and a big second party title releasing back to back.

Microsoft has no retail titles with actual release dates.

But even if one was to indulge you, having a poor holiday line-up (when the bulk of sales are traditionally made, making it the period targeted by most bigger titles) is completely different than having a slow start of the year, and having a poor line-up all year is even worse. A slow start is unfortunate, but looking at how the first half of the year usually pans out, it's understandable and expected. This year also had a slow start with only Titanfall and Infamous (and perhaps MLB: The Show and Kinect Sports) as their respective consoles' notable releases.

Neither here nor there. The fact is using the same excuse reeks of hypocrisy.

Top Bottom