• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD announces Zen CPU preview on 13th December, hosted by Geoff Keighley.

riflen

They'll have to find a way to make frame times and minimum frame rates sexy. A very tough ask. If they just bust out average or peak frames per second numbers I'm going to have a chuckle.
It'll probably just be some esports dudes saying how responsive things are. Have Intel ever done this kind of thing for new CPUs? I don't think they'd dare because of the tiny gains we've been getting for years. Games just aren't a good way to sell CPUs, unless that CPU provides some breakthrough in frequency technology, or the last CPU you released was garbage (ahem).

CIV VI or Star Citizen could absolutely show you some CPU improvements, even some recent open world games if you wanna go above 60fps, 2500k had a good run but it's not going to stay forever. Still I don't expect it to compete with Intel latest stuff but it's nice to have more options.

AmFreak

Deeke[VRZ];225646457 said:
As soon as Microsoft said Scorpio had 8-cores, I instantly thought Zen.

There's no way in hell a 6TFLOP GPU can be paired with the horribly outdated Jaguar CPU and deliver enthusiast grade performance.

Totally has to be Zen, maybe even Vega too.
An 8 core Zen alone consumes more power than the whole XBox One S.

This is going to be so cringey, but good for AMD on finally offering a product that (should) rival and even best Intel's offerings.

timberger

I'd be shocked if Phil Spencer or someone wasn't there to announce Zen being in Scorpio. If for no other reason than using Jaguar in their super premium Xbone would be pretty much the most moronic thing MS could pull at this point. Especially if, as I expect it to, Scorpio misses 2017.

aeolist

Banned
also just fyi this is going to be entirely marketing with no independent benchmarks or reviews until zen actually launches most likely

an architectural deep dive would be interesting but it's not likely at this kind of event

dogen

Deeke[VRZ];225646457 said:
As soon as Microsoft said Scorpio had 8-cores, I instantly thought Zen.

There's no way in hell a 6TFLOP GPU can be paired with the horribly outdated Jaguar CPU and deliver enthusiast grade performance.

Totally has to be Zen, maybe even Vega too.

Depends on the game. Even with a jaguar derivative Scorpio would be able to handle something like Doom or Battlefront at 1440p or higher at 60 fps.

They'll have to find a way to make frame times and minimum frame rates sexy. A very tough ask. If they just bust out average or peak frames per second numbers I'm going to have a chuckle.
It'll probably just be some esports dudes saying how responsive things are. Have Intel ever done this kind of thing for new CPUs? I don't think they'd dare because of the tiny gains we've been getting for years. Games just aren't a good way to sell CPUs, unless that CPU provides some breakthrough in frequency technology, or the last CPU you released was garbage (ahem).

Yeah I hope they try Overwatch, that game scales pretty well to 8 threads and performs a lot better on quad core i5 and i7 CPUs than the current AMD CPUs.

CIV VI or Star Citizen could absolutely show you some CPU improvements, even some recent open world games if you wanna go above 60fps, 2500k had a good run but it's not going to stay forever. Still I don't expect it to compete with Intel latest stuff but it's nice to have more options.

Nah not with the Alpha version of Star Citizen, I don't think anything can run that above 30 or 40 fps when in multiplayer.

An 8 core Zen alone consumes more power than the whole XBox One S.

My god, you're a time traveler? Tell me all your secrets!

Yeah it probably does, that system is really power efficient and pulls less than 100W.

Bolivar687

Banned
I honestly don't get having someone immersed with the console side like Keighley hosting this or a Dota 2 player to "put it through its paces." Focusing on gamers is a good strategy but something isn't adding up.

NXGamer

Is this the CPU that is rumoured to be in the Scorpio?

I thought folk were saying that wasnt due until well into next year and would be too late to put into any consoles for 2017, or is that still the case?
Yep, I knew it was going to hit one of the consoles but the delay into 2017 launch made it a nail bitter for the party that did.

MS chose to wait for Zen and VEGA but the former will push Scorpio into a 60hz machine far more often. If Zen delivers on its promise it will be a great choice for Pc and console gamers. Looking forward to this.

Seronei

You're not missing anything. Some appear to be responding to the thread title and not the actual OP.

I don't even get how you'd get that idea from the thread title, am I missing something? Does Geoff Keighley work for Microsoft? No.

I'm confused that so many people seemed to get the idea that this has anything to do with Scorpio.

My god, you're a time traveler? Tell me all your secrets!

Yeah it probably does, that system is really power efficient and pulls less than 100W.

The high end PC version will, but any version that could possibly appear in Scorpio would be clocked much lower than that and would not use more power than Xbox One S on it's own.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Performance and a good price point is all I'm waiting for to decide if I'll ever upgrade to AMD or switch to Intel this time, but if it's true that their high-end Zen processors are pairing up and even surpassing the Intel's Extreme CPUs and the rumors about the $300 price for those are true, well, it will worth the wait

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd be shocked if Phil Spencer or someone wasn't there to announce Zen being in Scorpio. If for no other reason than using Jaguar in their super premium Xbone would be pretty much the most moronic thing MS could pull at this point. Especially if, as I expect it to, Scorpio misses 2017.

Nothing about the information presented suggests that the event has anything to do with Microsoft. It's not a general gaming event that AMD is attending but rather one that AMD put together specifically for PC e-sports teams to test the CPU. All signs point to it being 100% PC-focused.

I don't even get how you'd get that idea from the thread title, am I missing something? Does Geoff Keighley work for Microsoft? No.

I'm confused that so many people seemed to get the idea that this has anything to do with Scorpio.

Geoff Keighley = mainstream media = console gaming news.

Can't say I expected something like this. Hopefully it's not just another "look at this 99% GPU bound scenario and how it's just as fast as with our crappy CPU as with Intel". They did that sort of thing a lot back in BD days.

In any case I don't have much hope this being anything more than an awkward marketing stunt AMD likes to pull of occasionally. The problem with previews is usually they simply can't give any real benchmarks out since those are meant for launch day reviewers. Although perhaps they've had to change this due to the amount of leaks Zen is bound to have before launch day. Better control the message while you can.

Vuze

This will be a cringefest, calling it now haha.
It's hard to market a CPU to the gaming audience I guess, but esport gamers and Keighley? Ugh.

LordOfChaos

Huh. Interesting to put on a gaming event for a CPU that doesn't have an integrated GPU.

Ehh? Most PC gamers decry having to buy wasted GPU silicon bolted onto high end GPUs on the Intel side, since most would be using a dedicated GPU while the integrated GPU does nothing (DX12 multiadaptor notwithstanding).

For high end gaming, this exactly fits the bill.

Aretak

Ready to sell my 6700K for an octa-core Zen if the price is right. No doubts that the performance will be with Jim Keller at the heart of its design.

leeh

t was reported that AMD ruled out accepting semi-custom contracts for Zen before 2018, which, if accurate, in turn means it won't be in Scorpio.
Can we stop this FUD, they ruled out Zen semi-custom with new graphics. New graphics being the important point there.

Since Vega was delayed, then all that adds up.

Definitely excited for this. Really want to see AMD step it up a notch. My future gaming rig has a 6700k in it for now. Hoping to see a competitive AMD Zen chip with similar performance for 25 percent reduction in cost.

Yep, I knew it was going to hit one of the consoles but the delay into 2017 launch made it a nail bitter for the party that did.

MS chose to wait for Zen and VEGA but the former will push Scorpio into a 60hz machine far more often. If Zen delivers on its promise it will be a great choice for Pc and console gamers. Looking forward to this.

Interesting times ahead for sure :)

The Scorpio is just playing Xbox One games in 4K. It doesn't need a new CPU to do that.

I wouldn't rule Zen out, and there is a realistic chance of it from a tech / timing perspective. But I think the same Jaguar is the most likely.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can we stop this FUD, they ruled out Zen semi-custom with new graphics. New graphics being the important point there.

Since Vega was delayed, then all that adds up.

Do you have a source? Also, there's no need for such an abrasive tone as in no, way, shape or form did I say that the information is accurate or particularly reliable as the only source I've been able to find at all is a My Drivers news post. Hence "it's been reported" and "if accurate" -- the intention being to imply doubt.

Cels

ppd is a legend and all but what are they going to do, have him play dota 2 on the new zen?

will people be able to tell the difference from their fx-6300 or i5-6600?

I prefer Intel CPUs in laptops for obvious reasons, but I've never built a desktop with an intel processor. The value proposition just hasn't been there (at the time of my builds, I know the i5 6600 is a great value). I'm planning to build a Mini-ITX Steam Machine next year, so a new AMD CPU would definitely factor in.

I assume he's aware as what he's saying is that a 4c8t Zen CPU would (likely) be faster than an actual eight-core Jaguar processor.

There's still a chance it would break compatibility with XB1 games, which is something I'm assuming MS doesn't want.

AmFreak

A four core Zen would be just fine since it'll be 8 threads. Itll be way faster too.
Even 4 cores would need more space and power and would produce more heat than an 8 core jaguar.
And as he said they said 8 cores and 8 threads != 8 cores.

Kaji AF16

We really need some decent competition in the CPU area. Like most AMD products I expect this to be good for the price point but won't match intel's latest offering, just like its always been for the last 15 years.

Last 10 years, you mean?

leeh

Do you have a source? Also, there's no need for such an abrasive tone.
It's that ellusive quote from the AMD CEO.

I can't get to anything as the work internet filter is strong. Tone was taken as I've been round in circles with this many, many times.

Akai__

Fingers crossed for AMD, but not gonna have high hopes until I see benchmarks.

The Scorpio is just playing Xbox One games in 4K. It doesn't need a new CPU to do that.

I wouldn't rule Zen out, and there is a realistic chance of it from a tech / timing perspective. But I think the same Jaguar is the most likely.

Yeah, but it would help A LOT. Digital Foundry has many examples of CPU intensive games, where the performance is bad, because of the underpowered CPU in the PS4 Pro.

yuraya

I think its way too early for MS to start talking about Scorpio. The S is currently selling really well for them and they need to continue that momentum. Scorpio will probably have its own exclusive event around E3 time.

Oh I'd love for the Scorpio to have a Zen CPU, with VEGA we should be looking at 6TF of FP32 and 12TF of FP16, oh how lovely!

The high end PC version will, but any version that could possibly appear in Scorpio would be clocked much lower than that and would not use more power than Xbox One S on it's own.

Yeah definitely, and the Scorpio is rumored to have a Zen CPU so that's why people are mentioning it.

Ready to sell my 6700K for an octa-core Zen if the price is right. No doubts that the performance will be with Jim Keller at the heart of its design.

I'm hoping for single-threaded performance between Sandy-bridge and Ivy, Haswell and above would be amazing to see though!

This is the day after Monkey King is supposed to be added to DotA 2. Not sure if that factors into anything with PPD being there but could be interesting.

PPD? They should have called Puppey. I know he'd put up quite a fight.

This is the day after Monkey King is supposed to be added to DotA 2. Not sure if that factors into anything with PPD being there but could be interesting.
The King Update.
Monkey King
Dorito King
Zen King
Added to DOTA 2

Yeah, but it would help A LOT. Digital Foundry has many examples of CPU intensive games, where the performance is bad, because of the underpowered CPU in the PS4 Pro.

Absolutely I agree, and if MS can get it in there it would be fantastic. There's also the performance needs of whatever VR solution they have to consider too. It would definitely make it a much more rounded system.

But they can still get away with a Jaguar, so I think it's the most likely. Plus with architecture availability, die size, TDP and extra cost all being question marks, Zen might just be out of reach.

Why doesn't someone tweet Phil Spencer and ask if he will be at the event - as a special guest.

That'll put some rumors and/or hype to rest. :p

Top Bottom