• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD announces Zen CPU preview on 13th December, hosted by Geoff Keighley.

ppd is a legend and all but what are they going to do, have him play dota 2 on the new zen?

will people be able to tell the difference from their fx-6300 or i5-6600?

I assume he will test how the Zen performs when it's submerged in Sodium Chloride.

S E L L O U T B O Y S

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's that ellusive quote from the AMD CEO.

I can't get to anything as the work internet filter is strong. Tone was taken as I've been round in circles with this many, many times.

I've looked at your post history and you've mentioned a roadmap presentation a number times. I managed to find the document, but to my eyes there's nothing that categorically debunks the supposed Lisa Su comment that there won't be any semi-custom Zen designs before 2018. There's also nothing that supports it, though, which means we've not moved squares.

leeh

People have high hopes for the Scorpio.
Let a man/women have hopes and dreams.

I sure do.

I've looked at your post history and you've mentioned a roadmap presentation a number times. I managed to find the document, but to my eyes there's nothing that categorically debunks the supposed Lisa Su comment that there won't be any semi-custom Zen designs before 2018... and also nothing to support it.
I commend your intensity.

I recall someone pulling the exact quote from her. I'm not saying it's confirmed, I'm just saying it's not been confirmed it's not Zen either.

JaseC

I commend your intensity.

I recall someone pulling the exact quote from her. I'm not saying it's confirmed, I'm just saying it's not been confirmed it's not Zen either.

Okay. I didn't say it was confirmed or even reliably reported, either, by the way.

Means when they go out, they always matchin outfits n shit.

LMAO!

People have high hopes for the Scorpio.

We want some more of that 60 fps console gaming goddness, which a more powerful CPU can help to deliver.

Hopefully the developers provide a similar option like how the PS4 Pro has multiple modes in some games.

I'd love to see Red Dead Redemption 2 at 60 fps.

mephixto

Banned
AMD presentation? Cringe Fest 2016

Anyway, hope they show what Zen is capable.

I don't think they are capable to compete on high end processors against Intel but if Zen is cheap, consider me interested.

leeh

Okay. I didn't say it was confirmed or even reliably reported, either, by the way.
I'm just saying that report was poop. The quote was taken out of context into a clickbait title.

I'm hopeful anyway, it's like when AMD shared their new semi-custom wins and only specified the Scorpio and not the Pro, which was yet to release. To me, that tells me new architecture semi-custom wins.
I cannot confirm or deny a denial or a confirmation

Therefore

wait

what?
I'm a politician.

JaseC

I'm just saying that report was poop. The quote was taken out of context into a clickbait title.

Was it, though? The claim is that she made the comment during the presentation, however there's nothing in the presentation itself that points in either direction, so the only way you can be sure that she was misrepresented is if you were in attendance when she spoke or the comment has been regurgitated by someone reputable who was present.

Wow, they are doing a full on gaming event, with the Dorito Pope and everything. Didn't expect that.

Please don't disappoint AMD. We need good CPU competition to bring prices down.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The excerpt in the OP mentions that e-sports teams will be "[putting the CPU] through its paces". This isn't a Scorpio announcement but essentially a reveal of the first real-world gaming benchmarks, which may seem strange, but you have to keep in mind that Intel ran off with the ball when it released Conroe/Core2Duo a little over a decade ago now -- AMD's been fighting an uphill battle ever since.

It was reported that AMD ruled out accepting semi-custom contracts for Zen before 2018, which, if accurate, in turn means it won't be in Scorpio.

So odds are Scorpio will still be gimped by the CPU? Good news for my 6300 if so. Hope Zen turns out awesome though.

JaseC

So odds are Scorpio will still be gimped by the CPU? Good news for my 6300 if so. Hope Zen turns out awesome though.

It's hard to say that one outcome is more likely than the other in the absence of any compelling evidence.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's hard to say that one outcome is more likely than the other in the absence of any compelling evidence.
Fair enough. We do know next to nothing about the darn thing, they've been doing a good job keeping it under wraps

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The fuck is this thread on? Nowhere does this state Scorpio is using Zen.

Wishful thinking. Every new console is an opportunity for those hoping for 60fps to project those desires into something before it is actually revealed

The far more likely outcome is AMD simply showing how zen can be great for gaming at a competitive price. I don't know if Zen is even widely available yet, and it is currently a desktop CPU - and people are already including it in some fabled massive APU

Scorpio is more likely to stick with jaguar for ease of bringing Xbox one games out at 4K - it'll be increasing the rendering resolution just like Ps pro

wapplew

AMD presentation? Cringe Fest 2016

Anyway, hope they show what Zen is capable.

I don't think they are capable to compete on high end processors against Intel but if Zen is cheap, consider me interested.

Watch them cross fire 2 Zen CPU to match 6700K.

LeleSocho

Banned
Ah yes, Geoff Keighley.
The perfect person to tell people the features of a brand new CPU architecture...

...the heck were they thinking?

Seronei

Ah yes, Geoff Keighley.
The perfect person to tell people the features of a brand new CPU architecture...

He's obviously not the only person that will ever be on stage, I'm sure Su and the lead architect of Zen will be there as well. What are you thinking?

Ah yes, Geoff Keighley.

He is a very good person to ask layman questions to the AMD employees that will be on stage. Pretty sure they were thinking that they wanted someone who will be a polished and professional audience surrogate.

Sinistral

Watch it be like their E3 PC Game Show presentation where they showed off Polaris...

They only physically showed the OEM RX460, 470 and 480 in a 5 minute segment, and nothing more.

But more competition is good, let's hope Zen brings some semblance of it.

bidguy

Banned
why would amd announce anything scorpio related lol

not saying it wont be in scorpio but im pretty sure ms wants to control news about that thing

Why doesn't someone tweet Phil Spencer and ask if he will be at the event - as a special guest.

That'll put some rumors and/or hype to rest. :p

Setting wishful thinking aside, isn't it unlikely that MS would yield control of this kind of announcement to AMD? Wouldn't they want to cover all of the capabilities of the machine at their own, highly publicized event that focuses exclusively on the Scorpio? As opposed to an event that sandwiches their shiny new toy between a bunch of tech talk that may not be of interest to a huge segment of their gaming population?

I would love for them to pull the curtain back on the Scorpio's processor, but if you set emotions aside, it doesn't seem like a logical move.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I meeaaan, wanting a decent CPU in late 2017 for a 6TF+ 4K console isn't exactly high hopes, it it? That's like, standard/regular/expected hopes.

They've been using shit CPU in consoles for 2 gens straight. Wanting a decent CPU doesn't mean you will get one. I still hope nonetheless especially with architecture and IPC improvements and is making.

riflen

You only have to look at the i7-7700k preview just published to see that even Intel cannot make any progress worth mentioning with the materials and technologies available at the moment.
This does give AMD a chance to catch up, so to speak. If they can deliver Broadwell-E performance for a lower cost, they just may have a chance at taking some business from Intel. There are a lot of people interested in CPUs for games machines that don't like wasting silicon budget on a worthless GPU.
I can see them getting tripped up on frequencies though. Broadwell IPC, but clocks that can't match Intel's parts would put them in kind of a shitty place. Good luck to them.

SURGEdude

Can't fucking wait for AMD to be somewhat competitive in the CPU game again. Compare the amazing innovation in ARM licensees in recent years compared to the relative stagnation of x86/64.

Intel makes a great product, but they need some price pressure.

ethomaz

Banned
This Zen has nothing to do with semi-custom or mobile Zen.

This Zen is suppose to rival Core i3/i5/i7 for games.

They've been using shit CPU in consoles for 2 gens straight. Wanting a decent CPU doesn't mean you will get one. I still hope nonetheless especially with architecture and IPC improvements and is making.

How did the Xbox 360's CPU compare to PC CPUs?

I remember hearing that it was somewhat comparable to a Core 2 Duo so I know the Core 2 Quads would have been obviously more powerful.

You only have to look at the i7-7700k preview just published to see that even Intel cannot make any progress worth mentioning with the materials and technologies available at the moment.
This does give AMD a chance to catch up, so to speak. If they can deliver Broadwell-E performance for a lower cost, they just may have a chance at taking some business from Intel. There are a lot of people interested in CPUs for games machines that don't like wasting silicon budget on a worthless GPU.
I can see them getting tripped up on frequencies though. Broadwell IPC, but clocks that can't match Intel's parts would put them in kind of a shitty place. Good luck to them.

I'd love AMD to bring a 6 or 8 core CPU, overclockable, with Haswell IPC, for less than 300€. That would shake things a lot.

ekim

iGPUs. Waste of silicon for a desktop if you ask me.

I would wager that 80% of all desktop pcs don't come with a dedicated GPU. No one in my family has one and neither any of the PCs at my work. Even most of my friends game on iGPUs.

Setting wishful thinking aside, isn't it unlikely that MS would yield control of this kind of announcement to AMD? Wouldn't they want to cover all of the capabilities of the machine at their own, highly publicized event that focuses exclusively on the Scorpio? As opposed to an event that sandwiches their shiny new toy between a bunch of tech talk that may not be of interest to a huge segment of their gaming population?

I would love for them to pull the curtain back on the Scorpio's processor, but if you set emotions aside, it doesn't seem like a logical move.

I think the only people who actually care what cpu is in it are those who like technical things like what kind of ram/threads/floating points and whatever else hardware things that i dont know about. the mass market of folks who just see a more powerful xbox, just want to know what it can do, not really what's under the hood right? so announcing ZEN isn't that big of a deal for commercials or trailers. not a marketing term at all.

I think to tease that the zen will be part of the scorpio, to keep the technical people talking about it, is logical to me. they wont reveal everything, never said they would or have to :p just a tease to keep the word of mouth going.

plus its fun to guess! :p

So Scorpio with a new CPU architecture. New generation confirmed.

2wAz8I4.png

There's absolutely nothing in the press release to suggest this has anything to Scorpio. Indeed, considering that it's mostly going to be eSports personalities suggests that it's going to probably be entirely PC gaming.

riflen

I'd love AMD to bring a 6 or 8 core CPU, overclockable, with Haswell IPC, for less than 300€. That would shake things a lot.

I'm fairly certain that I read there will not be a hex-core Zen. Something to do with a design decision that means quad or octo-core only. Could have been bollocks though, who knows?

Top Bottom