• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Survey

2ryb.jpg

BriGuy

Thanks for the link. That was cathartic. I don't think the series is beyond salvaging, but they really need to put the kibosh on yearly sequels and spend time creating a meaningful experience that goes beyond climbing towers in bigger and bigger cities.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Most responses are probably like "bad-ass," "explosion," and "bad a$$" so I guess it's easy for Ubisoft to see which ones are coming from hardcore gamers.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Paris used to be the filthiest and most smelly city in the world. Do you really think it was already the touristy city of love during the time of the revolution?
Unity Paris probably looked cleaner than it actually did during those times(especially the teeth).

Pooya

Paris used to be the filthiest and most smelly city in the world. Do you really think it was already the touristy city of love during the time of the revolution?

edit: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xiu...2-3_shortfilms

of course, artistically the city looks terrible in Unity. There is no sense of place or anything, The city looks like a dump, any dump, not a filthy Paris. It's just generic building after generic building, oh landmark, generic building here again. Make all that dirty and ruined, done. The city is pretty small but it already looks repetitive as hell. For a game location it's really poorly done.

of course, artistically the city looks terrible in Unity. There is no sense of place or anything, The city looks like a dump, any dump, not a filthy Paris. It's just generic building after generic building, oh landmark, generic building here again. Make all that dirty and ruined, done. The city is pretty small but it already looks repetitive as hell. For a game location it's really poorly done.

Can't agree with that either. It's one of the best and most detailed game environments ever, for open world anyway. The tech they used to even create this place is mind blowing. Unity has many problems. The city isn't one of them.

"How do you feel about the Assassin’s Creed game series? "

not enough options. I want to say I used to love it , but then 3 happened : (

Yeah, loved the earlier games but then 3 shook my faith in the franchise, if I could give it a 0 in the survey I would but 1 was close enough.

Setsuna

"please erase content"

i never found that part satisfying. Make better, more interesting content.

Like what though? The towers in games like Infamous Batman and Assassins creed are one of the few game activies in open world games that actually allow you to use every mechanic the game has to offer

Otherwise you end up with the exciting activities of Gta 5 like searching through trash cans, knocking down for sale signs, in addition to 100s of unmarked collectibles on the map that give no reward

I though Paris looked fantastic on ground level (aside from the NPCs ruining everything), but kind of ugly when you were running around on top of the buildings - all-brown and very plain. It's actually the first AC game ever where I thought it didn't look good from up high.

Jito

Banned
No stamina system. Eagle vision now had a cooldown in Unity though.

I never implied that that wouldn't be the case. You completely ignored this part

Emphasis on average buildings, that and more a more modern aesthetic in that gif shows the clear difference from Unity.

So one of the things we can see in your cherry picked gifs is big buildings? What I'm saying is you can find plenty of buildings of that size in Unity, and you'll find plenty of small buildings in Syndicate. You completely ignored that part though.

Anyway enough of this, you're apparently the resident AC fanboy so this is futile.

DNAbro

Like what though? The towers in games like Infamous Batman and Assassins creed are one of the few game activies in open world games that actually allow you to use every mechanic the game has to offer

Otherwise you end up with the exciting activities of Gta 5 like searching through trash cans, knocking down for sale signs, in addition to 100s of unmarked collectibles on the map that give no reward

And I found GTA's side activities infinitely more rewarding than AC. It's more fun just to explore that world than do lots of the side activities in AC.

SJRB

Gold Member
I though Paris looked fantastic on ground level (aside from the NPCs ruining everything), but kind of ugly when you were running around on top of the buildings - all-brown and very plain.

Because that's how it was? You can give the series a lot of shit [and rightfully so], but if there's one thing Ubisoft has consistently nailed it's the visual/artistic design of the cities.

Dantis

Took the survey. Said I thought Syndicate looked poor and uninteresting.

I wonder how much positive feedback they'll get from this?

Meneses

Real megaton would be if they confirmed RDR 2 lol

I actually spent more time than I thought I would, I guess I still care enough about the franchise to want it to go back to the glory days. I left a few suggestions and some hard criticisms, but nothing too over the top.

I don't care enough to buy the next game though, I rented Unity and I struggled to even finish it. I need a break from AC games.

Spacejaws

My three words.

Intiguing
Repetitive
Atmosphere

My comments were I'd like to see a return to medievil setting or at least away from the last few hundred years that alot of the series is set in. Also for more focus on narrative and less random collectathons.

singhr1

People saying Assassin's Creed has lost its "assassinations" have clearly not played Unity. Compared to Black Flag, Unity weakened the character's abilities significantly and introduced stealth mechanics that the franchise sorely needed. Reading that Syndicate will make them smoother is great.

Unity's major missions are structured around assassinating key targets. Each of those missions have many different opportunities of distraction, entry, and technique. For all its technical shortcomings of buggyness and bad framerate, the game played most like an "assassin" than any other game before it (similar to AC1).

Some of Unity's side activities were also some of the best they've done. Murder mysteries and some paris stories were surprisingly good considering how mundane AC's side stuff usually is.

Because that's how it was? You can give the series a lot of shit [and rightfully so], but if there's one thing Ubisoft has consistently nailed it's the visual/artistic design of the cities.

I guess, but maybe they should have taken a bit more artistic licence then - injected a bit more color or detail somehow.

The all-brown color scheme and the repetition and the lack of detail in the distance just made for a very bad combination.

Vibranium

Banned
Well, I asked for Splinter Cell's stealth system and optional non-lethal stealth takedowns. Also told them no more British accents for other countries.

Dantis

People saying Assassin's Creed has lost its "assassinations" have clearly not played Unity. Compared to Black Flag, Unity weakened the character's abilities significantly and introduced stealth mechanics that the franchise sorely needed. Reading that Syndicate will make them smoother is great.

Unity's major missions are structured around assassinating key targets. Each of those missions have many different opportunities of distraction, entry, and technique. For all its technical shortcomings of buggyness and bad framerate, the game played most like an "assassin" than any other game before it (similar to AC1).

Some of Unity's side activities were also some of the best they've done. Murder mysteries and some paris stories were surprisingly good considering how mundane AC's side stuff usually is.

I agree about the main story, but I thought the Paris Stories were awful. There's no point in putting dialogue in at all if they're going to be make it so uninteresting.

Setsuna

Well, I asked for Splinter Cell's stealth system and optional non-lethal stealth takedowns. Also told them no more British accents for other countries.

Damn, i probably should have put down non lethal takedowns as well

But I don't think they should add splinter cells stealth system into assassins creed since it was basically incorporated into Watch dogs

Crossing Eden

So one of the things we can see in your cherry picked gifs is big buildings? What I'm saying is you can find plenty of buildings of that size in Unity, and you'll find plenty of small buildings in Syndicate. You completely ignored that part though.

Anyway enough of this, you're apparently the resident AC fanboy so this is futile.
You've literally only been refuting things that I never stated. When did I state that there won't be any small buildings in Syndicate? What I did I say that Unity had no tall buildings? Neither of these things were stated yet you keep refuting them as if I've said them. While also ignoring what i was actually saying
-The architecture is quite different from what was seen in Unity, certainly more than enough than to say "they look they same."
-The average buildings in ACS are taller than the average buildings in Unity, streets are wider as well

And then you pull this bullshit

I guess, but maybe they should have taken a bit more artistic licence then - injected a bit more color or detail somehow.

The all-brown color scheme and the repetition and the lack of detail in the distance just made for a very bad combination.
The color palette most definitely wasn't all brown, it was dirty, but it wasn't "all brown." A lot of areas had color. Actually, the color palette depended on the time of day, morning and especially night time would give a more muted look compared to afternoon, dusk gave a more brown look to everything like you say, afternoon is where the game's color palette shines. This video showcases this well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOMum-qW-iI

vocab

Can't fill out the survey. Clicking witcher 2 and 3 as games played for more than 5 hours invalidates the rest of the choices and resets the radio buttons.

GG

terrible

Banned
I more or less asked for a complete reworking of their mission structure lol. It feels like all I've been doing since AC II is syncing a viewpoint, trailing someone, then assassinating them with nothing interesting in between.

I hope they take this survey seriously because I agree with a lot of what I've read in this thread. The games still have potential but the yearly release schedule really seems to have sucked the fun out of the games.

One odd thing was that they only let us pick 5 games that we were planning on buying. I had nearly half the list selected before I realized I could only choose 5.

Setsuna

Can't fill out the survey. Clicking witcher 2 and 3 as games played for more than 5 hours invalidates the rest of the choices and resets the radio buttons.

GG

This happened to me as well. Its like you can either only play The Witcher series or everything else

Jito

Banned
You've literally only been refuting things that I never stated. When did I state that there won't be any small buildings in Syndicate? What I did I say that Unity had no tall buildings? Neither of these things were stated yet you keep refuting them as if I've said them. While also ignoring what i was actually saying
-The architecture is quite different from what was seen in Unity, certainly more than enough than to say "they look they same."
-The average buildings in ACS are taller than the average buildings in Unity, streets are wider as well

To me the architecture looks the same, large, brown, grandiose buildings with pillars and chimney stacks, the only difference (like others pointed out early) is that there's now gas lamps on the streets and yes the streets are wider (game changer). It's really hard for you to argue that this isn't a lot of reused art assets for a game churned out in less than two years to fill the yearly AC gap, you can already see that the chimney stacks are identical.

And then you pull this bullshit

Am I wrong though?

It was good to see the assassinations back, but I still think the main story in Unity was weak. It didn't feel like a cohesive whole, the sequences jump all over the place and seem too loosely connected. You can't really tell a story by spending a couple minutes in one time period, shooting ahead a few years, then do another short sequence, shoot ahead again - that's not a strong enough structure to hang a story on. It's not enough time to get to know your characters. They've been doing this since AC3.

In the Ezio games, the main story would span years as well, but the individual story components were meatier and it hung together much better. The seqences were longer, the jumps in time fewer. There were more quiet moments, more characterisation. These days it's all plot and they jump from major historical event to major historical event and you can't really connect with what's going on.

I was a fan of the murder mysteries as side content, however. That was a move in the right direction. I actually connected better with these stories than with the main story!

Flipyap

People saying Assassin's Creed has lost its "assassinations" have clearly not played Unity.
But it has lost those. It's nice that Unity brought some of that back, but before it came out we got five or six games focused on tailing, eavesdropping, minigames and running errands.

Crossing Eden

To me the architecture looks the same, large, brown, grandiose buildings with pillars and chimney stacks, the only difference (like others pointed out early) is that there's now gas lamps on the streets and yes the streets are wider (game changer). It's really hard for you to argue that this isn't a lot of reused art assets for a game churned out in less than two years to fill the yearly AC gap, you can already see that the chimney stacks are identical.

Am I wrong though?
First of all, this game has had more than two years of development. Second of all It clearly doesn't have the same architecture, not only are the buildings taller but they look much more modern, like an early form of sky scrapper. This is the first game where they had actual video reference and photo reference from the time period and it clearly shows.
ludgate2.gif

GetFileAttachment2.jpg

bringing up the gif again you can very clearly see the influence and how the new buildings reflect the era
5SmHgc2.gif

So no the street is not the only difference. Although why the street doesn't count as part of the overall city design is beyond me. Drop the condescending attitude, saying "you're just a fanboy anyway" is one of the most childish things that you can say in a discussion.

MikeyB

I loved the how would you describe it to a friend question.

Open worldi-ish. Special vision. Stealth-based and melee focussed. Some strategy. That is every single game. Choose one with a setting you like. The story is irrelevant and it's a standard ubisoft collectathon. Turn the minimap off if you want to engage with the world rather than connect the minimap dots. It will engage you and fill your time, but only in a slightly more satisfactory way than candy crush.

I went with:
Repetitive
Tedious
Collectables

Did anyone bother to watch the trailers? I skipped that part. Ubisoft doesn't need help trying to fool people into buying their bad games.

tbd

This series is basically an architecture simulator to me at this point. Can't deny the buildings look neat.

Nipo

Done.

I pity the person who has to read through these answers though :D

No one actually reads them. They probably just use text clustering to get a feel for what people are saying and then use an algorithm scores the responses as positive or negative.

B3N1

I almost feel sorry for whoever at Ubisoft will have to read these.

Almost.

I wrote them 2 walls of texts about what I don't like and what I'd like to see in Syndicate. During both shitting on new ones and blessing ACB while being incredibly sad that it's come to this.

I think I did not get to fill the explain to friend thing. Weird.

If they read I hope they get my feels. If not, fuck them then.

Jito

Banned
First of all, this game has had more than two years of development. Second of all It clearly doesn't have the same architecture, not only are the buildings taller but they look much more modern, like an early form of sky scrapper. This is the first game where they had actual video reference and photo reference from the time period and it clearly shows.
ludgate2.gif

GetFileAttachment2.jpg

bringing up the gif again you can very clearly see the influence and how the new buildings reflect the era
5SmHgc2.gif

So no the street is not the only difference. Although why the street doesn't count as part of the overall city design is beyond me. Drop the condescending attitude, saying "you're just a fanboy anyway" is one of the most childish things that you can say in a discussion.

If only I could be bothered to load up Unity and screenshot the area with those exact same building architecture, long runs of terraced four story buildings with wide streets. You're right though, obviously it's more modernised (obviously seeing as it's set nearly a century later) but it's the same design of building, down to the chimney stacks. Ah well, I concede, sorry you took the fanboy comment to heart so much.

I actually filled out the survey honest. Even though it's buggy. I couldn't select The Witcher 2 and the second trailer I should rate didn't work.

Top Bottom