• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa PS4 Alpha gameplay, preview

nasanu

Banned
Team VVV just put up a video with the full PS4 car list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQiF3vmQxPE

Note the missing DLC (2 packs) plus all the cars with download icons...

I know people will just say "indie" and forgive all sins but this is bullshit. Indie means they saved costs in development. I'll quote myself from the NMS thread:

"Now if two games are on sale for $60, what difference does it make to the value what the number of people who worked on it is? Say there are two versions of the game on sale, one with much more variety of content and play mechanics but both selling for the same price, do they both represent the same value because the one with less had less people working on it?

If only 12 people worked on the game then they saved a lot of money on wages and passed those saving on to.... themselves. They could have spent money on more artists and programmers giving you a better game, but they chose not to spend that money and also chose not to give you a lower price to compensate.

You can say, sure this game is worse but it's only $19 and this one is $60. You can't say sure, but they saved a lot of cash in development so it's ok. That doesn't mean you get better value, you are not the publisher. As a consumer, that is you getting screwed."

So we have a game that is near full price, that has a fraction of the content this type of game usually has plus tons of paid day 1 content and the game is a port to begin with. I love AC but really they are taking consumers for a ride here.

Jamesways

Bummer they're holding back the two packs for priced day one DLC. PC folks had to buy the packs as well though.

In my mind, how many racing sims are out there for console on ps4 right now?
Of course I'll buy it and any DLC they offer. Yeah it's a cash grab for the console crowd, but I really don't buy and keep a lot of games. And if buying these packs supports Kunos to make more games, then hell yeah I'll not think twice about it.

danowat

Banned
Bummer they're holding back the two packs for priced day one DLC. PC folks had to buy the packs as well though.

In my mind, how many racing sims are out there for console on ps4 right now?
Of course I'll buy it and any DLC they offer. Yeah it's a cash grab for the console crowd, but I really don't buy and keep a lot of games. And if buying these packs supports Kunos to make more games, then hell yeah I'll not think twice about it.

It depends how you define "sim" I guess, I see Absolute Drift got released yesterday, I've heard that the physics in that are good, some maybe that's a sim too!

Jamesways

It depends how you define "sim" I guess, I see Absolute Drift got released yesterday, I've heard that the physics in that are good, some maybe that's a sim too!

Hmmm, I see that's not out on the US Store. Trailer looks interesting. Looks like it could indeed be some zen fun.

I think Marco said something on their last stream that they don't have any expectations whatsoever about the console release. It almost seems like the thought behind the pricing and DLC is to "milk" the few niche people that will definitely buy the game day 1 to maximize profit. You know... If I make a game like day of defeat that is call of duty but way not as polished wirh less content but more hardcore in its mechanics, selling it to 10 people who are interested in it at $20 makes less sense than selling it to just the 3 really hardcore guys who will buy it even at $80...

I'm not saying it's something nice to do, not saying I would have done it the same way, but it's a profit deal and the way the market works... At least in the eyes of Kunos.

With more experience in how the console market works, they could have adjusted the PC dates for the DLC a little, slipped in some of the now-DLC cars on console as pre-order bonuses and others as a +$10 special edition day1dlc with codes included in the box and more people would have excepted it as business as usual - "they all do it like that".

I spent 79€ on pCARS special edition day 1 on XB1, it has more content than AC but personally it wasn't worth it, while AC would have been worth 80€ for me. Value is a subjective thing. But a real problem for the console guys are the missing modded tracks, while most of the modded cars a pretty bad anyway, some tracks(and not necessarily the ripped ones) are really good and momentarily are about doubling the track count for me on PC.

danowat

Banned
I agree, value is subjective, I am in a privileged position where I don't really have to worry about the price, as long as I get a decent amount of enjoyment out of it.

PCars was a full priced release, I have 300+ hours out of that, even though it (still) has plenty of issue, that game has given me value in spades.

AC is getting on for half the price of PCars (£27 in the UK), I would say, to me, even the content included in the vanilla version is worth that (ok, it is slightly track light), if it's at least as half as good as PCars I'll be quids in!

Mascot

I think I'll be waiting for the inevitable price crash (by Xmas, probably) or the GOTY.

I've gone right off car games at the moment anyway. It's a summer thing.

Since this is the same publisher of Payday 2 I going to wait to see their post launch support.

Plus, their pre order bonus where Gamestop gets 9 extra cars and other retailers only 3 is kinda BS.

nasanu

Banned
Judging from the cars video this is the car count:

Total cars listed in game: 102.

Total actual you can drive without paying money on top: 95 (they say over 100 cars in their trailer)

Total unique cars available (cutting out "different" cars that are almost identical): 61

So there it is. AC will launch with 61 cars (if I counted correctly, that is dubious).

danowat

Banned
If the depth and nuance of the physics model between cars is anywhere near as good as pcars, 61 will be fine for me.

Pretty shitty to be honest this DLC situation. I'm going from a day one purchase to a " wait for sale or GOTY edition".

I already have all the DLC on my Steam version so releasing this game so much time after the PC release and without the DLC makes me think twice before buying it. Shame, really.

Project CARS had 65 cars listed for the special edition at launch, If i remember that right... That car count was totally fine for a race car focused game. Also remember that all AC cars are licensed and came ith manufacturer data (admittedly some seem to have come with more data than others). Especially GT3 and road legal car -wise AC has a great line-up. Also, like pCARS, AC gets free DLC cars somewhat regularly.

I'm repeating myself but the track count is the real negative here. pCARS had a great and giant track selection and on top of that it had night and rain, the fog looks great(AC's is a joke) and the cloud variation and sky coloring is superior. Looking at the experience each track delivers, pCARS had some bad bumpiness patterns, depth and fidelity and on some tracks you could even get stuck in them like in an invisible wall; AC's tracks are all laserscanned, even the fantasy tracks are based on laserscanned parts of road in Italy and the USA, on top of that there are track conditions like dusty, slow, green, fast. So... great accuracy, but a lot less variety compared with pCARS.

...Will be interesting to see how many cars GTS will have at start minus day1 dlc and "doubles".

danowat

Banned
Project CARS had 65 cars listed for the special edition at launch, If i remember that right... That car count was totally fine for a race car focused game. Also remember that all AC cars are licensed and came ith manufacturer data (admittedly some seem to have come with more data than others). Especially GT3 and road legal car -wise AC has a great line-up. Also, like pCARS, AC gets free DLC cars somewhat regularly.

I'm repeating myself but the track count is the real negative here. pCARS had a great and giant track selection and on top of that it had night and rain, the fog looks great(AC's is a joke) and the cloud variation and sky coloring is superior. Looking at the experience each track delivers, pCARS had some bad bumpiness patterns, depth and fidelity and on some tracks you could even get stuck in them like in an invisible wall; AC's tracks are all laserscanned, even the fantasy tracks are based on laserscanned parts of road in Italy and the USA, on top of that there are track conditions like dusty, slow, green, fast. So... great accuracy, but a lot less variety compared with pCARS.

...Will be interesting to see how many cars GTS will have at start minus day1 dlc and "doubles".

Imagine if Pcars and AC got jiggy and had a baby?

JamboGT

61 cars is absolutely fine, to be honest I would take Assetto Corsa with 5 cars over Project Cars with it's current roster.

Jamesways

And I hear the road cars handle a lot better in AC than pCARS, especially with a pad. Love the feel of the GT3 offerings in pCARS, but a lot of the road cars are super twitchy and not very fun to drive.

Track count is low but at least there's some unique ones not in the other games.

danowat

Banned
And I hear the road cars handle a lot better in AC than pCARS, especially with a pad. Love the feel of the GT3 offerings in pCARS, but a lot of the road cars are super twitchy and not very fun to drive.

Track count is low but at least there's some unique ones not in the other games.

Road cars are utterly abhorrent in PCars, complete waste of time.

I've been played alot of PCars again recently, and the racing cars are sublime to drive.

JamboGT

Track quality is great though.

Jamesways

Road cars are utterly abhorrent in PCars, complete waste of time.

I've been played alot of PCars again recently, and the racing cars are sublime to drive.
Ditto, been getting hooked on it again. Some of the slower road cars are manageable but the faster ones are really frustrating. Sad too, some of my favorites in there that I love to drive in other games.

It'll be nice to race some Ferrari and Lambo GT cars again. I wish pCARS had them, and the missing MC12 GT1 and Nissan GTR GT1 from Shift.

Track quality is great though.

Really excited for Mugello, Vallelunga, and Zandvoort. And of course I'll do plenty of comparison races at Imola, Nurb, and Catalunya between the two games.

Man, I can't wait for the 30th!

nasanu

Banned

GT has never had day 1 DLC and I highly doubt GTS will. They have only ever had special pre order DLC liveries or cars that are in the standard game but need unlocking.

It seems like GTS will have about 200 cars and PD seem to be going for variation. I would expect at least 150 unique, but who knows. Just from trailers there is about 63 unique spotted so far.

But the thing is that GTS will be heavily criticised for its total lack of cars even though it will launch with more and for less money than AC plus DLC. But that is the way the world is.

I haven't followed things too closely with AC recently, can anyone just quickly sum up if there's any content, free or otherwise, being put out for PC to coincide with the console launch besides that Triple pack thing?

Jamesways

I haven't followed things too closely with AC recently, can anyone just quickly sum up if there's any content, free or otherwise, being put out for PC to coincide with the console launch besides that Triple pack thing?
None that I've read about.

And I'm giving you a hard time in the GTS thread. All in fun, believe me.

One free car (sorry, forgot which one) and the biggest thing is the new UI on PC. The classic Monza track variant with the bend is ... Free too? Or it's in the DLC pack, bot sure.

Top Bottom