• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa PS4 Alpha gameplay, preview

danowat

Banned
Need higher quality video, but it does look very similar to PCars, which isn't that bad a thing to say, I think PCars looks pretty good, despite the tearing, which is seems AC has also in spades.

Really need a hands on with the game to make a judgement on it though, if they can get the handling dialed in for pad players then that will be a plus over PCars.

Unknown?

GT is miles and miles behind Assetto Corsa in terms of physics and GTS looks like more of the same. GT doesn't even feel like a simulator to me so it's definitely not on par with AC.

GT Sport is completely different from any GT before it with live announcers for events online and is more focused on teaching you how to race than any of GTs weak license system of the past ever could. But this game doesn't look any less the same as GT. It has every trope people complain about in GT from just looking at it from inconsistent graphics and unrealistic collisions. However I've only seen a few gameplay vids and watching/playing are two different things. I just hope it's good I've been looking forward to it but that one video of it muddled that excitement.

At the very least is it better than PCars and Forza?

Gestault

Need higher quality video, but it does look very similar to PCars, which isn't that bad a thing to say, I think PCars looks pretty good, despite the tearing, which is seems AC has also in spades.

Really need a hands on with the game to make a judgement on it though, if they can get the handling dialed in for pad players then that will be a plus over PCars.

I have my wheel ready, but I do hope the feel with the pad is solid. I keep telling myself it's not so bad and I go back to play Pcars with a pad, and it's just the wrong kind of challenge.

GT Sport is completely different from any GT before it with live announcers for events online and is more focused on teaching you how to race than any of GTs weak license system of the past ever could. But this game doesn't look any less the same as GT. It has every trope people complain about in GT from just looking at it from inconsistent graphics and unrealistic collisions. However I've only seen a few gameplay vids and watching/playing are two different things. I just hope it's good I've been looking forward to it but that one video of it muddled that excitement.

AC is made by 30 people, many of them don't work full time on the game and also work on other Kunos products like Assetto Corsa PRO (their simulator hard/software for racing teams - they work with Ferrari and Porsche for example). You can't expect the game to look better than GTS (+150 people studio and almost unlimted money) or Forza(peak of 300 people working on the game) or even PCars (peak of 120 people), especially since it's targeting PC sim-racing people who don't really care for graphics (look at rFactor 2 graphics and people love that "game"/sim).

If you don't like how it looks, maybe just stick with GTS. If you have questions about the physics that are a little more specific, go ahead and ask.

Megalo

Gameplay-wise it is miles ahead. This is the best simulation you will find atm in term of car physic and driving.
You have to keep in mind that it's more a simulator than a "game". You won't find a huge solo campaign ala GT/Forza.

But once again, the driving is pure bliss :)

Performance-wise I'm 99.9% sure that this game will have zero problems hitting constant 60fps if there are no other cars on the track, so I can't imagine Kunos would just lock it down to 30fps entirely ...even if it might struggle with larger grid sizes.

Digital Foundry test will be very interesting.

Edit:
Gameplay-wise it is miles ahead. This is the best simulation you will find atm in term of car physic and driving.
You have to keep in mind that it's more a simulator than a "game". You won't find a huge solo campaign ala GT/Forza.

Have you tried R3E, rF2 and iRacing? "The best sim" sounds fan-boy'ish to me, sorry. I love AC, but that's a pretty bold claim that doesn't come off like it's just your own personal opinion and more of a "it's widely known".

Momentary

Banned
Performance-wise I'm 99.9% sure that this game will have zero problems hitting constant 60fps if there are no other cars on the track, so I can't imagine Kunos would just lock it down to 30fps entirely ...even if it might struggle with larger grid sizes.

Digital Foundry test will be very interesting.

Edit:

Have you tried R3E, rF2 and iRacing? "The best sim" sounds fan-boy'ish to me, sorry. I love AC, but that's a pretty bold claim that doesn't come off like it's just your own personal opinion and more of a "it's widely known".

I think maybe they meant on console.

I think maybe they meant on console.
me too, I meant that it runs SO well in hotlapping mode on my PC, that I assume that it won't have any problems hitting constant 60fps on consoles as long as there are no other cars on the track. And then to just lock it down to 30fps entirely would be a strange move, then, as a dev I'd try to hit 60 up to a certain grid-size and go 30 if the player wants to race against more cars than that.

I should've add a "imo" at the end yeah
Maybe I overreacted too. Just thought it's better to qualify a statement like that. It's still pretty safe to say that it has better feel for the cars and more accurate physics than GT and Forza (and PCars for many of the featured cars and tires).

Unknown?

Hmmm I'm okay with it not having much as far as campaign as long as it has great simulation.

Gestault

If, if, PS4 Assetto Corsa is 30fps then I will deny its very existence.

I'd be surprised, considering the refresh-rate on the simulation itself being on the high-side and the rendering style not being overly demanding. Fingers crossed.

TheRed

Been playing this game a lot now on my Vive and man the driving is amazing. Would love to get a wheel for it soon.

nasanu

Banned
AC will be 60fps on consoles. Period.

The devs have said it numerous times and it gets to that mark on my PC which is less powerful than a PS4 (plus the consoles get a much, much faster API). They are even planning to bump up the physics engine to run at 500hz from the 333hz it runs at now (but not at launch).

Very surprised at zero reaction to the DLC. It's ok to hold back pre-existing content to sell seperately now?

nasanu

Banned
I'd be surprised, considering the refresh-rate on the simulation itself being on the high-side and the rendering style not being overly demanding. Fingers crossed.

On the low side actually. GT5 was running at 1000hz, and numbers from many other PC sims over the years have been higher than 333hz. When they make the bump to 500hz then it will be on the highish side, for PC sims anyway.

Gestault

On the low side actually. GT5 was running at 1000hz, and numbers from many other PC sims over the years have been higher than 333hz. When they make the bump to 500hz then it will be on the highish side, for PC sims anyway.

I should have been more precise: I meant high relative to the input/display refresh rates, and particularly for a 30 fps title. I've seen a decent number of games refresh their physics faster than 333 (even older console titles).

Where did you hear about 1000hz on GT5? That sounds like maybe one element (tyres maybe?) out of many could run there, but I'd be surprised if the overall player simulation were that high.

xrnzaaas

Is it common knowledge that there will be day 1 DLC? The Japanese and Red pack DLC are both DLC, no word on price though. But considering the time the Japanese pack was released and when AC went gold, there is only one reason to hold that content back... $$$.

That sucks. I still haven't made up my mind about the game. I have to read/watch more about the career mode, but that news on the extra paid DLC makes me lean towards waiting for a sale or a complete edition.

danowat

Banned
Very surprised at zero reaction to the DLC. It's ok to hold back pre-existing content to sell seperately now?
Not really no, but it happens alot and people buy it so you can't really blame them for trying to make money out of it, it is a business after all.

If it really urks people, then just don't buy it.

cooldawn

I'm really looking forward to this while I wait for Gran Turismo Sport.

Project CARS was good but my interest felt like an F1 tyre...it fell of a cliff...even though I still think it's a good place to drive cars. It's just not alluring enough.

Some new blood is welcome.

danowat

Banned
Achievement/ Trophy list

http://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comments/Heres-the-full-achievement-list-for-Assetto-Corsa

First Hotlap – Complete a lap in hotlap mode 15 G
First Drift – Complete a drift in drift mode 15 G
First Time Attack – Complete a lap in time attack mode 15 G
300! – Reach 300 Km/h 15 G
Clean Drive – Complete 5 laps without damage 15 G
First Penalty – Receive your first penalty 15 G
Club of 100 – Complete a race without damages 35 G
Collateral Damage – First broken engine 15 G
Real Racer – First pole position 15 G
Online! – Complete a lap in an online race 15 G
Time Attack Master – Complete 10 laps in time attack mode 15 G
Drift Master – Reach level 50 in drift mode 20 G
Combo Master – Achieve 50 combos in drift mode 20 G
Endurance – Drive for two hours in a session 35 G
Real Fan – Drive your first lap at the Nordschleife 15 G
Tamed Hell – Complete a lap at the Norschleife under 7:30 40 G
Novice Series – Complete one Novice series 15 G
Intermediate Series – Complete one Intermediate series 15 G
Trofeo Series – Complete one Trofeo series 15 G
Trofeo Advanced Series – Complete one Trofeo Advanced series 15 G
GT Series – Complete one GT series 15 G
GT Extreme Series – Complete one GT Extreme series 15 G
Formula – Complete the Formula series 15 G
Hypercars – Complete the Hypercars series 15 G
Novice Driver – Complete all the Novice series 35 G
Intermediate Driver – Complete all the Intermediate series 35 G
Trofeo Driver – Complete all the Trofeo series 35 G
Trofeo Advanced Driver – Complete all the Trofeo Advanced series 35 G
GT Driver – Complete all the GT series 35 G
GT EXTREME – Complete all the GT Extreme series 35 G
Pro Driver – Complete all the series with gold medals 60 G
Drifter – Achieve a silver medal on all the drift events 15 G
Fast! – Achieve a silver medal on all the hotlap events 15 G
Victory! – Achieve a silver medal on all the race events 15 G
Time Attacker – Achieve a silver medal on all the time attack events 15 G
Drift King – Achieve a gold medal on all the drift events 35 G
Faster! – Achieve a gold medal on all the hotlap events 35 G
Track King – Achieve a gold medal on all the race events 35 G
OutATime – Achieve a gold medal on all the time attack events 35 G
You Are Special! – Achieve a gold medal on all the special events 90 G
First Race – Complete a lap in race mode 15 G - See more at: http://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comm...t-list-for-Assetto-Corsa#sthash.HoZPmAFD.dpuf

xrnzaaas

Looks like a nice list, much better than pCARS and its bullshit trophies like complete a 24h race with real time progression or drive a lap in reverse.

Unless they change the time attack scores and hotlap times for gold from the PC build, the "all gold" trophies will be among the absolute rarest trophies out there. I absolutely can't see 0.1% of console players achieving those times. Some are argued not to be possible anymore with the current tire model. But who knows, maybe they're actually different on the console version.

Some other cool trophies from the steam version are missing. "faster than the driver that can't be named" for example, where you have to beat 1:56 at Imola with a Ferrari 458. There are a bunch of those hinting to real world times/events on steam. If this gets an OT for the console version, I'll post a list.

xrnzaaas

The controller part of the video looks okay. Tweaking the settings might improve the jerky controls, but that's probably up to your personal driving style. I just that hope that the default controls won't be total shit like in Project CARS... took me a while to find acceptable settings.

danowat

Banned
The controller part of the video looks okay. Tweaking the settings might improve the jerky controls, but that's probably up to your personal driving style. I just that hope that the default controls won't be total shit like in Project CARS... took me a while to find acceptable settings.
You can quite easily play Forza with a controller without jerking (fnar), can't figure out why other games can't manage it.

PCARS is a great example, the controller is so touchy on the steering that it's not even worth trying to try catch a slide.

Totally forgot about this.

Looks good, but will it really match Drive Club and Forza 6?

I hope it will be very different to both DC and FM, if it's like PCARS (which I've started playing again recently) with slightly (better) tyre physics and the same type of career, I'll be happy.

StonedRider

Totally forgot about this.

Looks good, but will it really match Drive Club and Forza 6?

It depends on what you want from this game.

If you want pure driving experience, if you like hotlapping and shaving off tenths of second off your lap time, then this is the game for you. Great physics simulation, suspension work, weight balance, sophisticated tire wear model.
HUD is highly customizable, but I do not know how it will be done on consoles.
Steering wheel is recommended. You feel the moment you tires lose grip, you know where you made a mistake, you have time to countersteer. The game is not easy, but it is fair.

But it lacks presentations, has boring career IMO. Maybe this is what Cunos works on for console version of the game.

Tracks selection is poor, but PC has mods. I hope console version will at least include all DLCs for the price of the game, it would be fair.

xrnzaaas

You can quite easily play Forza with a controller without jerking (fnar), can't figure out why other games can't manage it.

PCARS is a great example, the controller is so touchy on the steering that it's not even worth trying to try catch a slide.

Won't disagree there. I've played most Forza games and no matter if I picked arcade or sim difficulty level ("sim" to be more precise ;)) I didn't have to change any settings, even small stuff like adjusting deadzones.

I think that most developers are not doing that on purpose, they just may not realize how many people are playing exclusively using a gamepad. Or using a keyboard in the PC version (it's here where it's a really big problem).

Won't disagree there. I've played most Forza games and no matter if I picked arcade or sim difficulty level ("sim" to be more precise ;)) I didn't have to change any settings, even small stuff like adjusting deadzones.

I think that most developers are not doing that on purpose, they just may not realize how many people are playing exclusively using a gamepad. Or using a keyboard in the PC version (it's here where it's a really big problem).

The thing is that in Forza the pad stick-steering has built in driving assists that prevent you from steering too far or too sudden depending on car's state. A car that has been tuned to be extremely twitchy on Forza can feel more understeery on the track and you only get the twitchyness effect if you overwhelm the controls with sudden brake+turn inputs. In that sense Forza's controller input handling is a bit like stability management, it prevents the top players to be as good as they could be, but helps a ton of average or bad players to be pretty good at it.

I assume for some sim-games it's a question of philosophy. Something like iRacing would draw a lot of criticism by their average player (and wheel user) if they were "helping" pad players in a way that would skew competition.

Now, I don't know how it is in Assetto Corsa, but I do know, that their "stability management" is not a car built-in system like traction control or ABS(which are accurately modeled with different modes and settings in the game for every car based on the real world counterpart, which is pretty awesome). STM in AC acts like a force helping you not to spin and can be set on a scale from 0 to 100. While that is kind of bullshit, it's also bullshit that can make the game more fun again if you are at a disadvantage because your controller doesn't act the way you want it to and you are used to from more controller-polished games like Forza, Driveclub or GT.

The thing is that in Forza the pad stick-steering has built in driving assists that prevent you from steering too far or too sudden depending on car's state. A car that has been tuned to be extremely twitchy on Forza can feel more understeery on the track and you only get the twitchyness effect if you overwhelm the controls with sudden brake+turn inputs. In that sense Forza's controller input handling is a bit like stability management, it prevents the top players to be as good as they could be, but helps a ton of average or bad players to be pretty good at it.

I assume for some sim-games it's a question of philosophy. Something like iRacing would draw a lot of criticism by their average player (and wheel user) if they were "helping" pad players in a way that would skew competition.

Now, I don't know how it is in Assetto Corsa, but I do know, that their "stability management" is not a car built-in system like traction control or ABS(which are accurately modeled with different modes and settings in the game for every car based on the real world counterpart, which is pretty awesome). STM in AC acts like a force helping you not to spin and can be set on a scale from 0 to 100. While that is kind of bullshit, it's also bullshit that can make the game more fun again if you are at a disadvantage because your controller doesn't act the way you want it to and you are used to from more controller-polished games like Forza, Driveclub or GT.
You can't just map a car's entire steering range 1:1 onto a controller stick. It would be awful. People (yes, even good players) would be cooking their front tyres within a few laps. Filtering is always required.

You can't just map a car's entire steering range 1:1 onto a controller stick. It would be awful. People (yes, even good players) would be cooking their front tyres within a few laps. Filtering is always required.

No, you completely misunderstood me, of course every racing game uses filters for stick steering. Those are filters that apply curve-smoothing and slower delivery over time, but it's only the controller input that changes the shape of the curve used by the game.
On top of that games usually have a speed-sensitive steering where a variable from the car's current state (speed) changes the shape of the curve of how a controller input is used by the game (higher speed = lower steering rotation, slower delivery).

Now a game like Forza has even more parameter from the car's current state that change the input curve. I'm not sure what it is, but I assume it is things like rear wheel slip-angle, oversteer-factor, front wheel load etc. ...a bit like a driving aid that prevents you from doing stuff you probably don't want.

just filters like non-linearity and speed-sensitivity are things that wheel users also have or at least can have, but slip-angle control would be considered a driving aid like traction control and thus could be considered an unfair advantage.
Hope it got a little clearer what I meant before.

No, you completely misunderstood me, of course every racing game uses filters for stick steering. Those are filters that apply curve-smoothing and slower delivery over time, but it's only the controller input that changes the shape of the curve used by the game.
On top of that games usually have a speed-sensitive steering where a variable from the car's current state (speed) changes the shape of the curve of how a controller input is used by the game (higher speed = lower steering rotation, slower delivery).

Now a game like Forza has even more parameter from the car's current state that change the input curve. I'm not sure what it is, but I assume it is things like rear wheel slip-angle, oversteer-factor, front wheel load etc. ...a bit like a driving aid that prevents you from doing stuff you probably don't want.

just filters like non-linearity and speed-sensitivity are things that wheel users also have or at least can have, but slip-angle control would be considered a driving aid like traction control and thus could be considered an unfair advantage.
Hope it got a little clearer what I meant before.
If the controls didn't take into account slip angles in some way, controller players would be at a massive disadvantage. You can't drive a car with an inch long plastic nub without assistance. You just don't have the feedback to keep the front wheels at sensible slip angles at all times. When pCars first came out there was so many complaints from pad players with excessive tyre heat and wear.

If the controls didn't take into account slip angles in some way, controller players would be at a massive disadvantage. You can't drive a car with an inch long plastic nub without assistance. You just don't have the feedback to keep the front wheels at sensible slip angles at all times. When pCars first came out there was so many complaints from pad players with excessive tyre heat and wear.

I try to see both perspectives and Forza really is a little easy on the pad players, while pCARS probably sucks to play for the average gamer who doesn't want to fiddle around with sensitivity and whatnot options.

And I'm not sure where Assetto Corsa fits between those extremes, but even if it's more on the pCARS side, there is the stability management driving assist, that - as I said before - works with imaginary forces helping you not to spin... so, either way it should be more playable than pCARS with a controller.

danowat

Banned
New preview from VVV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzUk6RY748I

Can't wait for this. I'm sure the pad settings will be fine. If I was able to find decent setups for pCARS, I can't imagine this would be more difficult.

Track list is small, but I NEED more Zandvoort in my life!
Everyone should.

Still a ton of screen tearing, PCars had the same, but it's still never nice to see.

Is there any confirmed track / carlists for the console versions?, and day one DLC?

Mascot

Still a ton of screen tearing, PCars had the same, but it's still never nice to see.

I was hoping that was just my phone.

The video looks nice enough but unless it's a rock-solid 60fps with v-synch then I think I'll wait for the inevitable GOTY with all the wallet-raping DLC included.

Jamesways

Is there any confirmed track / carlists for the console versions?, and day one DLC?

I was hoping that was just my phone.

The video looks nice enough but unless it's a rock-solid 60fps with v-synch then I think I'll wait for the inevitable GOTY with all the wallet-raping DLC included.
I'm hoping the latest DLC out on the 26th (the Tripl3 Pack) will included day one with consoles, but I don't believe that's been confirmed yet. Other packs I think they're holding out on for separate sales, but who knows.

Other than the official website, not sure for the console car and track list.

The tearing is concerning, but perhaps the day one patch will iron some of that out.

I buy every racing sim/simcade game, so this is already paid off and set to download on the 30th.

This fall is definitely a hit on the wallet, AC, WRC6, Ride2, and GT Sport.

Top Bottom