• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda has an embargo on announcing the FO4 review embargo, are you kidding me

BlitzKeeg

Please stop holding the industry to some ridiculous national security level standard. Despite what die-hard fans want to believe, it's not that complicated or mischievous. Bethesda wants to limit the flow of information re: the review embargo. They don't want to see huge Tomb Raider, Battlefront, Insert AAA game here, ads all over their day to shine. Would it be the end of the world? No. But they are a publisher and it's their job to minimize that shit.

If that's the case I still find it gross. Just because it happens all the time doesn't mean it should be okay. The simple fact that there are huge AAA ads on the front page of these supposed "unbiased" review sites is questionable to begin with.

Liamc723

...So what?

This is nothing, literally nothing.

This doesn't affect the game, your purchasing decisions or the reviews themselves.

Some people here just want to create drama over nothing.

This is some of the most bullshit outrage I have ever seen on NeoGAF. This is a decision that doesn't affect the consumer at all, unless the embargo for other countries puts the reviews after purchase.

This says NOTHING about Bethesda's faith in their product, and everything about their desire to control the release of information. They are allowed to advertise their game their way.

Seriously this forum is embarrassing some times.

Holy shit, someone who gets it!! Like seeing a lake in the middle of a desert.

Please don't.
Everybody already knows, and some people are put off their games already for good as a result. The rest of us, while it was annoying, are willing to try another game by them.

Absolutely no need to bore the nuts off the rest of us by repeating it all of the time.

No.

One word response. Hope that makes you happy.

Vice

They're agreeing to more than that, which is why this thread exists.
But, they can still choose not to agree to anything at all as I said. It's their editorial teams' choice to agree to any sort of embargo or not. Embargos can have multiple stipulations.

rjinaz

This is some of the most bullshit outrage I have ever seen on NeoGAF. This is a decision that doesn't affect the consumer at all, unless the embargo for other countries puts the reviews after purchase.

This says NOTHING about Bethesda's faith in their product, and everything about their desire to control the release of information. They are allowed to advertise their game their way.

Sometimes I think it sucks a bit being such a big Bethesda fan on NEOGAF. But, I'm going to be playing Fallout 4 in like 4 days. Who gives a crap? lol

Seriously though, this is silly, but a non-issue.

They are at Rockstar levels of trying to hide the game from the public.

Yeah but i never understood that. Because their games are fine and look at the damn reviews they always get. I have faith thar F4 is a fine game, so i just don't get this. I am sure both companies got their reasons for it.

IvorB

Well, I think the issue some people are having is that a review ideally should not be an advert for the game or part of a some carefully curated marketing plan.

Grief.exe

Sometimes I think it sucks a bit being such a big Bethesda fan on NEOGAF. But, I'm going to be playing Fallout 4 in like 4 days. Who gives a crap? lol

Seriously though, this is silly, but a non-issue.

Being a huge fan of one of the most mainstream gaming publishers? From a game that is sure to get 9/10 as far as the eyes can see from mainstream reviewers?

Feeling victimized?
Bethesda games are easy to criticize when you break down the game into parts. This is a forum of hardcore gaming enthusiasts, expect criticism.

But, they can still choose not to agree to anything at all as I said. It's their editorial teams' choice to agree to any sort of embargo or not. Embargos can have multiple stipulations.

Somehow that doesn't mollify me about a situation in which a press outlet either agrees to an open-ended number of strings attached to review copies, or quickly find themselves hamstrung and at an extreme disadvantage by needing to buy every game they need to cover at retail.

Jason broke the embargo of the embargo without breaking the embargo of the embargo.

Good shit, dude.

But, fuck. That is seriously messed up. I don't get the point of the whole scenario to begin with. Will Bethesda assuage us with a blog post again?

...So what?

This is nothing, literally nothing.

This doesn't affect the game, your purchasing decisions or the reviews themselves.

Some people here just want to create drama over nothing.

It doesn't affect consumers, but I wasn't informed of this and inadvertently tweeted the time our review would be posted earlier today. I'm hoping Bethesda doesn't slam us for missing a review embargo embargo.

BlitzKeeg

Well, I think the issue some people are having is that a review ideally should not be an advert for the game or part of a some carefully curated marketing plan.

Exactly. This just strikes me as part of Mr. Marketings plan for optimal advertisement penetration

Vice

Somehow that doesn't mollify me about a situation in which a press outlet either agrees to an open-ended number of strings attached to review copies, or quickly find themselves hamstrung and at an extreme disadvantage by needing to buy every game they need to cover at retail.
That's the only way early access will exist for entertainment reviews though. They can opt out and find other ways to review the game, but it's such a common practice that its effects on reviews themselves isn't likely to exist at all - the same way it has little effect on the world of film, music or book reviews.

The first two pages had me in stitches. Thanks for the laughs everybody.

Seems odd, since this is one of the most anticipated games this year, and a sequel to one of the best selling (?) games of the previous generation.

Doesn't affect me though, still looking forward to it.

it's such a common practice that its effects on reviews themselves isn't likely to exist at all - the same way it has little effect on the world of film, music or book reviews.

This is optimism on your part.

I'm not an optimist, and Bethesda's track record is not such that I automatically grant them or their PR mouthpieces the benefit of the doubt in 2015.

rjinaz

Being a huge fan of one of the most mainstream gaming publishers? From a game that is sure to get 9/10 as far as the eyes can see from mainstream reviewers?

Feeling victimized?
Bethesda games are easy to criticize when you break down the game into parts. This is a forum of hardcore gaming enthusiasts, expect criticism.

Any game is easy to criticize when you break down the game into parts. And yes, Bethesda games seem to be more criticized than others. I'm not a victim nor do I feel victimized nor do I think that this game is not deserving of criticism. Doesn't mean I can't think it sucks to read about it all the time. Sorry if you disagree.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
But, fuck. That is seriously messed up. I don't get the point of the whole scenario to begin with.

I think people are conditioned now to think that day-prior review scores are to "hide" the fact that the game isn't as good as the public hype perception. I've already seen people on Twitter posting the likes of "day-before-launch review embargo for FO4. Uh oh." When more likely than not, it's just a strategy to avoid getting overshadowed by the noise that will come with the CODBLOPS3 release on Friday.

No publisher in their right mind would want to compete with the noise of the "DAY 1 SALES PASSED 6 MILLION COPIES!" "BIGGEST LAUNCH EVER!" and all the other comments that come with a COD release. Even with a property like Fallout.

At least, that's where my line of thinking would be.

Vice

This is optimism on your part.

I'm not an optimist, and Bethesda's track record is not such that I automatically grant them or their PR mouthpieces the benefit of the doubt in 2015.
It's not optimism in Bethesda or otherwise, it's that it's been a common practice in entertainment reviews for decades and plenty of hyped up junk has gotten panned.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

This is Bethesda making some attempt to strike a balance between sales and having informed consumers. The review own embargo is a bit weird but it seems like they are trying to put website on equal footing while still controlling the release narrative.

We are STILL getting reviews before many people have a chance to remove the wrap off (since this only affects console users unless Steams refund policy is US only).

The people going on and on about how this is "gross" are deluding the word. MGSV and it's microtransactions are gross. Arkham Knight releasing in the state it was in for PC is gross. Fallout 4 having a controlled roll out isn't even close.

But let's pretend it is because it's Bethesda and Todd lied or whatever other bullshit animosity NeoGAF had toward these guys.

IvorB

This thread needs more embargo. More embargo please!

stock-vector-embargo-stamp-213335320.jpg

Don't see why they are doing a review embargo. There's no way a reviewer gives the game anything less than an 8/10. Not for a game with this much marketing and budget, and from this big a studio. Not for a game that already has this much premature internet hype surrounding it.

I'm almost certain that hype determines review scores in this industry.

It's not optimism in Bethesda or otherwise, it's that it's been a common practice in entertainment reviews for decades and plenty of hyped up junk has gotten panned.

I wasn't commenting on whether or not it's common, I'm commenting on your speculation that it has a negligible impact on reviews.

The only reason I can see Bethesda has for imposing this degree of control is to maximize the chances that the game clears some pre-determined benchmark for success on Metacritic, and so that the rather vocal segment of tastemakers and press outlets do not so much as whisper the dirty word 'Embargo' until its too late to enter the public consciousness. It's obviously a control ploy to ensure that maximum return on first-weekend sales. I can't help but distrust it.

I think people are conditioned now to think that day-prior review scores are to "hide" the fact that the game isn't as good as the public hype perception. I've already seen people on Twitter posting the likes of "day-before-launch review embargo for FO4. Uh oh." When more likely than not, it's just a strategy to avoid getting overshadowed by the noise that will come with the CODBLOPS3 release on Friday.

No publisher in their right mind would want to compete with the noise of the "DAY 1 SALES PASSED 6 MILLION COPIES!" "BIGGEST LAUNCH EVER!" and all the other comments that come with a COD release. Even with a property like Fallout.

At least, that's where my line of thinking would be.

Yeah, especially when your game is a turkey.

MiguelItUp

Lol, that just seems so pointless. I mean, why even mention something like that at all? The word embargo has officially become one of my least favorite words. Really though, I wouldn't be surprised if stuff like this has been happening for awhile.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

As a consumer I want to see what exactly I'm getting, even on launch day.

"Control release of information" is never a good code word when it comes to being a consumer lol.

Halabane

I get the embargo on the story. What worries me about this stuff is Bethesda often puts out hot messes....great stories...great games...but hot messes of crashes. Just hope this isn't hiding that.

So is this another protect bethseda thread? That's the only way i see this stretching 7 pages. If it was ubisoft or something im sure the outrage would have no defenders.

Vice

I wasn't commenting on whether or not it's common, I'm commenting on your speculation that it has a negligible impact on reviews.
It does have no meaningful though. Embargo'd films, music and games get poor and mediocre reviews every week.

The only reason I can see Bethesda has for imposing this degree of control is to maximize the chances that the game clears some pre-determined benchmark for success on Metacritic, and so that the rather vocal segment of tastemakers and press outlets do not so much as whisper the dirty word 'Embargo' until its too late to enter the public consciousness. It's obviously a control ploy to ensure that maximum return on first-weekend sales. I can't help but distrust it.
The reviews will be up a day before the game launches though. Mentioning embargo doesn't seem to have much of an impact on sales anyway as the only people who care are the press and a niche segment of hardcore consumers.

Mentioning embargo doesn't seem to have much of an impact on sales anyway as the only people who care are the press and a niche segment of hardcore consumers.

If it had zero impact then it would not be on Bethesda's stipulations that you don't mention the embargo.

Top Bottom