• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda has an embargo on announcing the FO4 review embargo, are you kidding me

Sometimes I think it sucks a bit being such a big Bethesda fan on NEOGAF. But, I'm going to be playing Fallout 4 in like 4 days. Who gives a crap? lol

Seriously though, this is silly, but a non-issue.

just ignore the forum outside this bubble it's freedom ;P

Stasis

Yeah I'm gonna wait this one out too. I was really close to pre-ordering it but I've learned from so many mistakes that it just usually isn't worth doing. There's no reason to for this particular game anyway, and going by Bethesda history... eh, I'll wait.

I am, however, really looking forward to it and hoping that it's amazing. I won't wait months, but I'll definitely wait for reviews and give it at least a week or two. Maybe more. I've still got a ton of TW3 left!

After playing the bug fest that is The Witcher 3, I'm ready for anything. I survived Skyrim on PS3. I am built to withstand the buggiest of bugs.

Took me a min to process what was said in OP's thread title.

..embargo on announcing FO4 review embarrr...go...whaa..Sinking to a newest low.

rjinaz

just ignore the forum outside this bubble it's freedom ;P

Never said I wanted a bubble. I don't understand the amount of cynicism the Bethesda games specifically get that's all. It really seems to get to some people, like on a level of vitriol and that is odd to me.

That shouldn't be a good thing.
Bugs bug me a bit. But I honestly played through enough buggy games without it ruining my time with it that I will still jump in on day one. I dont blame anyone for doing the wait and see approach.

I did encounter a game breaking one in skyrim that made it so I couldnt progress any further and that blew. Like today I'm nearing the end of TW3 and my horse just freezes there during a climactic scene then I try and get off and the game crashed. I just said fuck and restarted. I'm just pretty forgiving about it. It doesnt excuse it or make it OK. It really just doesnt bother me as much as others. I havent heard about any game breaking ones yet for Fallout 4 so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that those looping VO's are as bad as it gets.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Took me a min to process what was said in OP's thread title.

..embargo on announcing FO4 review embarrr...go...whaa..Sinking to a newest low.

It's not an embargo on announcing when the review embargo is up. It's an embargo on announcing any Fallout related activities a site might be interested in doing like a Let's Play or Greg Kassivans 10 hour Bethesda streams. However, "embargo on review embargo" sounds even more insidious (never mind if that were the only thing that was embargoed no way would this even be a thing), and allows NeoGAF to get up in arms.

I think a lot of minds will change if this game comes out without a lot of bugs. Early indications seem positive!
People are too eager to find and make a big deal out of anything.

Someone will make a decent amount of ad money making some "omg this fallout 4 glitch is so crazy" video that people will watch and assume the whole game is like that.

It's almost too predictable these days.

BeerSnob

So they dont trust their product ?

What's not to trust?

Ip0jqHQ.gif

I can't imagine why they didn't want people to see this sleek beast of a game in motion.

rjinaz

People are too eager to find and make a big deal out of anything.

Someone will make a decent amount of ad money making some "omg this fallout 4 glitch is so crazy" video that people will watch and assume the whole game is like that.

It's almost too predictable these days.

Ha yeah I'm ok with bugs like that though, it's a part of the charm. I was thinking more like saving issues, lag, and freezes. You know the kind that make you pull out your hair.

Ponn

Banned
Yea that's exactly it. What the fuck is with this forum? I mean really.

If you were a PS3 gamer last gen, no, no I don't trust Bethesda products. I also don't trust them to follow through with fixing them. Sorry but I don't think it's something that hard to see why someone would feel that way. If you treated me like shit as a customer for a whole gaming generation you have to prove to me that I should trust you or give you the benefit of the doubt.

Why?
It's not like it has any effect on when the review releases. I don't see what difference this embargo embargo makes either way.

Having an embargo on reviews has strong negative connotations for a game. What are they hiding? Game must be buggy as fuck! Etc etc.

No doubt they have measured that this news lowers preorders. So they are trying to hold back the news of an embargo as long as possible to keep the preorders up before the perception of a poor release is grown by the embargo being announced.

Modern gaming.

jmizzal

whats the point of this really?

Its dumb who cares when you are gonna tell us when the freaking reviews are gonna be released

RPGam3r

Having an embargo on reviews has strong negative connotations for a game. What are they hiding? Game must be buggy as fuck! Etc etc.

No doubt they have measured that this news lowers preorders. So they are trying to hold back the news of an embargo as long as possible to keep the preorders up before the perception of a poor release is grown by the embargo being announced.

Modern gaming.

So every game must be a buggy shite show in your world since this is very common practice?

Ishan

So every game must be a buggy shite show in your world since this is very common practice?

Given the track record those concerns are valid . Rad put out a very divisive game in 1886 but say their next game had a two days before release embargo ppl would be saying story is probably shit probably rehashed gameplay but doubt any would say buggy . You reap what you sow

What?? Almost every game has an embargo now. From Metal Gear Solid V down to Assassin's Creed.

If irc mgsv had reviews out couple of days before the release, giving a fan like me enough time to make up my mind and preorder the game a day before release.

People seem to be taking the critique of Bethesda on this subject same as the graphics related trolling that has plagued the forum lately. But it's not the same at all. I have been rolling my eyes on 'looks like fo3' comments but this is different. This practice just gives the impression of dishonesty.

Saying that it has always been done or everybody is doing it does not make it OK. For me, release day reviews are an instant blimp that the publisher is not being straight forward. Too bad fallout is making me week otherwise I am pretty happy with my no preorder policy.

RPGam3r

Given the track record those concerns are valid . Rad put out a very divisive game in 1886 but say their next game had a two days before release embargo ppl would be saying story is probably shit probably rehashed gameplay but doubt any would say buggy . You reap what you sow

The validity seems to be subjective as I don't see the concern.

Denton

Never said I wanted a bubble. I don't understand the amount of cynicism the Bethesda games specifically get that's all. It really seems to get to some people, like on a level of vitriol and that is odd to me.
Bethesda gets cynicism (or is it criticism?) because

- they have been making the same games for 20 years now, repeating the same flaws

- they have abhorrently scummy business practices

- they always get praised to high heavens by gaming press

Pretty much?

Which bit is confusing you? Big games these days are released with issues and hence review embargos are seen as a sign of a problem.

That is just the way things are. Do you disagree? What do you think when you hear a game has a review embargo? If you think "tops, game must be great", you are probably missing something.

The perception is there, so it is a marketing issue. The question was asked "why", that is the answer.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Embargo on announcing the end of an embargo? I'll love the game I'm sure. But fuck that, utterly douche move.

whats the point of this really?

Its dumb who cares when you are gonna tell us when the freaking reviews are gonna be released

Modern gaming.

If you were a PS3 gamer last gen, no, no I don't trust Bethesda products. I also don't trust them to follow through with fixing them. Sorry but I don't think it's something that hard to see why someone would feel that way. If you treated me like shit as a customer for a whole gaming generation you have to prove to me that I should trust you or give you the benefit of the doubt.

How about you guys read the ACTUAL email instead of grousing and whining about a situation that you THINK exists. The embargo is on site related content. . .that is over tomorrow. In 12 hours you will have NOTHING to actually whine about. You will know when reviews are up (8AM Eastern Monday) as well as what journos have planned for the game. If the game is actually shit, we should know by the LACK of "special events" for the game, and your fears will be justified. Hurrah for you.

Pretty much?

Which bit is confusing you? Big games these days are released with issues and hence review embargos are seen as a sign of a problem.

That is just the way things are. Do you disagree?

Name one recent AAA release that didn't have a review embargo.

RPGam3r

Pretty much?

That is just the way things are. Do you disagree?

The overall poor attitude is probably the part I'll never see eye to eye on. Big games come out wih defects but many of them are awesome all in the same instance. So yes I disagree that it is a sign of a problem, as I've loved many games that were under embargoes.

People make no sense. The embargo for reviews lifts on Monday. Embargoing when sites could announce that wouldn't have anything to do with the quality of the product. The reviews will still be out a day before release.
Also as others have said, this was talked about on a recent bombcast and it didn't sound that uncommon.

Wensih

I'm pretty sure giantbomb also stated these embargos (or maybe a different type of embargo) were to prevent press who didn't receive a copy from knowing some outlets did receive a copy.

I'm pretty sure giantbomb also stated these embargos (or maybe a different type of embargo) were to prevent press who didn't receive a copy from knowing some outlets did receive a copy.

I believe they did say this just a few bombcasts ago. They made it sound like it's a pretty common thing.

Vinland

Banned
Fuck off. If you have proof, show it. Otherwise I'm going by the quality of their last releases.

As someone who bought oblivion, fall out 3 and Skyrim on PS3 you could hardly blame me for waiting for reviews. I dont share your views of their quality. I don't share the view of the game being terrible like the person you responded to but think twice about thinking Bethesda being beyond reproach.

Trace

Banned
As someone who bought oblivion, fall out 3 and Skyrim on PS3 you could hardly blame me for waiting for reviews. I dont share your views of their quality. I don't share the view of the game being terrible like the person you responded to but think twice about thinking Bethesda being beyond reproach.

Objectively it's hard to take a game from a developer where their last three games have been voted GotY and then say "it's going to be shit" without any evidence. That's just shitposting.

Velurian

Really hard to believe - as a pc gamer - that B would screw this up.
However, positive reviews are an excellent sales argument - to deny them pre-release seems really stupid.
I really don't like it. Not pre-ordering.

Top Bottom