• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue Central Fiction announced! (BB4)

cj_iwakura

Oh, I didn't say that the SF stuff is better than BB - far from it. I'm just talking about the money that went into it. I agree that SF would do well to have more story done in BB's overall style.

I'm not sure if the Abyss Mode costs that much to make though. I haven't played Abyss yet, but how much of it is actually new? Isn't most of it just the same gameplay as the rest of the game? (This is not a bad thing, I'm just wondering about the effort involved here)

It's the core game with RPG mechanics for leveling up with scripted challenges. It's not exactly a brand new game, but it's still a nice something.

I'm confused actually.
didn't a whole bunch of people die at the end of CP Including Terumi and Platinum? Did I miss some sort of explanation in extend about how they all survived or is this a case of 'fighting game lore = LOL'? :eek:

Not really. Terumi was sealed away or some junk, you know they'll write that off. The only seeming 'casualty' was Jubei getting his ass handed to him by Nine/Phantom, but there's no confirmation of his death. He's MIA at the moment.

As much as I enjoy BB's story modes, CP was really, really dragged out. Very little of note happened, and the new characters were damn near pointless.

Onemic

Now that I fully know what arcsys will do with the release of this game I'm just gonna wait till extend comes out so I dont get screwed over.

Not really. Terumi was sealed away or some junk, you know they'll write that off. The only seeming 'casualty' was Jubei getting his ass handed to him by Nine/Phantom, but there's no confirmation of his death. He's MIA at the moment.

Again, it should be pointed out that ArcSys DOES have a history of including characters despite them being dead in story. Kliff may be an isolated incident but if they did it with him they could very well do it with Terumi, Platinum, or anyone else who bites the bullet.

As much as I enjoy BB's story modes, CP was really, really dragged out. Very little of note happened, and the new characters were damn near pointless.
Haha, yeah. The ending felt like it was building up to something then... well... it didn't. Nothing got really resolved and everything just got more convoluted (I find myself saying 'convoluted' a lot when talking about BB and story :p )

BreakAtmo

I'm confused actually.
didn't a whole bunch of people die at the end of CP Including Terumi and Platinum? Did I miss some sort of explanation in extend about how they all survived or is this a case of 'fighting game lore = LOL'? :eek:

It could just be a simple case of 'these characters aren't in the story, but we'll put them in the game because more characters is good for gameplay'. Though Terumi does seem to appear in some of the story parts.

cj_iwakura

It could just be a simple case of 'these characters aren't in the story, but we'll put them in the game because more characters is good for gameplay'. Though Terumi does seem to appear in some of the story parts.

I'm sure the theme of mirrors means alternate realities where they're magically still alive and involved. They'd never remove someone from the roster because they're supposed to be dead.

Well, at least ArcSys wouldn't.

Again, it should be pointed out that ArcSys DOES have a history of including characters despite them being dead in story. Kliff may be an isolated incident but if they did it with him they could very well do it with Terumi, Platinum, or anyone else who bites the bullet.

Fair point. That said I just remembered a silly part of BB's whole story thing:
The whole thing where as long as you're 'observed' then you can't die unless your observer also dies. As such technically they can just bring anyone back as long as they're not sliced by hakumen's special existence-destroying slash or stabbed with izayoi's weapon... which I'm pretty sure someone did but it's been too long so I forget XD

BreakAtmo

It's the core game with RPG mechanics for leveling up with scripted challenges. It's not exactly a brand new game, but it's still a nice something.

And that's awesome and adds a lot of replay value - SFV could really do with something like that. It just doesn't sound like it would be that pricey to create - though of course, that just opens up the question of why Capcom has stupidly not done it. Although, I think I remember something similar in Alpha 3, possibly?

I could have sworn that Terumi was actually, explicitly killed. Didn't Hazama essentially 'erase' his personal timeline from now until his death, killing him instantly? You're likely right though.

CP was released in arcades in november 2012, if they manage to release this one in november, that's 3 year, seems fine to me.

Damn CP was 3 years ago already?

For some reason I thought that game came out last year. Oh North America was last year that's why.

Hell even console CP in Japan was 2 years ago at this point.

Time sure flies.

BreakAtmo

Damn CP was 3 years ago already?

For some reason I thought that game came out last year. Oh North America was last year that's why.

Hell even console CP in Japan was 2 years ago at this point.

Time sure flies.

It's just ArcSys reminding us that we're still young.

No, wait, I meant old. Very, very old.

cj_iwakura

Forget Jubei, make Torakaka playable in this one!
:)

How would you differentiate her from Tao, though? Jubei would be amazing, part Hakumen/part Tao.

Heck, I'm sad they made Kokonoe a science gadget. I expected she'd be like Taokaka with Tager gauntlets.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
New proper BB with hopefully an end to the story? (I want it done before sales tank enough that they stop making it >_> )

This news makes me very happy.

LMAO. Keep dreaming. Arc will continue to pump out re-releases
and I'll continue to not buy them
until the end of time.

How would you differentiate her from Tao, though? Jubei would be amazing, part Hakumen/part Tao.

Heck, I'm sad they made Kokonoe a science gadget. I expected she'd be like Taokaka with Tager gauntlets.
I mean Jubei, in general probably has a completely different fighting style from the rest of the Kakas I assume.

I would hope it's not the same as Tao with slight changes again.
Given that a certain amount of stuff could be recycled from Taokaka it's surprising they haven't done this already.
Well he already has his own sprite.

BlazBlue is like the video game equivalent or R.Kelly's Trapped in the Closet. Now all I need to complete the cycle is have 5 dlc characters announced before we have a release date. And once said date is announced its at least 7 to 9 months away (longer if you live in Europe)

cj_iwakura

BlazBlue is like the video game equivalent or R.Kelly's Trapped in the Closet. Now all I need to complete the cycle is have 5 dlc characters announced before we have a release date. And once said date is announced its at least 7 to 9 months away (longer if you live in Europe)

That's the biggest problem with the massive story mode. It delays the western release by far too long, and it's cost us any number of Evo slots. CP Extend wasn't out in time for Evo, so it got put out, despite having the most hype final last year(if not ever).

I'm not exactly up to date on my BlazBlue canon storyline, but
I thought Ragna got owned at the end of CP, why is he still in this in human form?

Keasar

Roughly 6-9 months after an NA release when it comes to any ArcSys game.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
No date yet? So most likely arcade release next year, console port the year after the arcade, US release 3 months after that. By the time US got the extend version they would announce the next game.

Astral

This seriously better be the end of the fucking story already. I don't mind more games and more revisions but at least end the main plot.

This seriously better be the end of the fucking story already. I don't mind more games and more revisions but at least end the main plot.

There is still at least 1 more game after this Mori said so. I could be wrong.

Actually I just checked. This one should be the last one story wise. So you might get your wish.

Naite

Trailer thoughts:

• Central Fiction is the worst subtitle yet.
  • There's a lot of new moves. Had to watch it at 25% speed to catch a lot of it. Noticed that in Bang's 2D that causes a new explosion, he actually loses his clothes but reappears a few frames later.
  • I really don't like the new background effects during supers.
  • I know where Naoto came from but I never paid any attention to those novels because I never thought anyone from there would wind up playable. Oh well.
  • So glad Katou Yuuki is back doing the character art. Looks better than his CS art too.
  • Really don't like the hud. Lifebars seem too simplistic and fonts sizes seem all over the place, especially the new overdrive timer.
  • So glad there's an overdrive timer now.
  • Love that new coliseum stage, but still don't like how they have the hud in the background monitors.
  • Jubei will never be playable.

Zyrox

Ah there it is. Nice that we finally hear something about BB4. So it's not a tag game eh? Good. And Nine is confirmed. Not really surprising, but nice nonetheless. Can't wait to see her in action. Though what I do find surprising is Kagura's assistant being playable. Didn't expect that. I wonder who else will be playable? (aside from Jubei who will obviously be playable sooner or later, "he's too small" be damned. Mori ain't fooling me) Since BB seems to be big on alternate versions of characters (Terumi, Hakumen, Izayoi, Mu) maybe we'll get OG Trinity? And iirc near the end of BBCP Relius said
that he can make a new body for Ada and restore her that way. Maybe she'll be playable too?
Either way, I'm excited for BB4. Can't wait to spend hours arcade footage lol

Astral

There is still at least 1 more game after this Mori said so. I could be wrong.

Actually I just checked. This one should be the last one story wise. So you might get your wish.

I remember him saying the story would take three games so who even knows anymore. I'm really digging the character art. It's so lively. I honestly don't even care about Jubei. I just want Izanami.

ArjanN

I know ArcSys keep doing this to themselves, but does everyone have this out of their system? Each new game adds major mechanic updates and story developments.

The Extend releases are BS, but Capcom's no better.

No, people will never stop beating that dead horse.

- New Fighting Game announced.
"Herp derp, I'll just wait for Super Turbo Fighting Game Championship edition!" says person who will buy Fighting Game day 1 anyway or never at all.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No, people will never stop beating that dead horse.

- New Fighting Game announced.
"Herp derp, I'll just wait for Super Turbo Fighting Game Championship edition!" says person who will buy Fighting Game day 1 anyway or never at all.

5MpDl8X.png

Or the third option:

-Actually buys the fucking final release when Arc/Et. Al. stop updating the title five years later.

THEN Arc updates the title to troll everyone that waited with the "is it over?" mindset.

kewlmyc

So this should be the final BlazBlue for the current story. Can't wait for console release. Hopefully Jubei, Nine, and Mai are finally playable.

ArjanN

5MpDl8X.png

Or the third option:

-Actually buys the fucking final release when Arc/Et. Al. stop updating the title five years later.

THEN Arc updates the title to troll everyone that waited with the "is it over?" mindset.

Yeah, but getting into a fighting game years after release is hardly ideal either.

I just feel it's something that mostly said by people that don't really understand fighting games to begin with.

Either way that joke was already played out in the 90s with all the different SF2 iterations.

Top Bottom