• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue Central Fiction announced! (BB4)

Korigama

That's the biggest problem with the massive story mode. It delays the western release by far too long, and it's cost us any number of Evo slots. CP Extend wasn't out in time for Evo, so it got put out, despite having the most hype final last year(if not ever).
Pretty sure CPE not being featured at Evo wasn't because of a late US release and had everything to do with the base's negative reaction to the balance changes in that version based on the arcade release.

EDIT: http://shoryuken.com/2015/01/23/joey-mr-wizard-cuellar-discusses-evo-2015s-lineup/

For whenever their site is no longer down for maintenance.

cj_iwakura

Pretty sure CPE not being featured at Evo wasn't because of a late US release and had everything to do with the base's negative reaction to the balance changes in that version based on the arcade release.

EDIT: http://shoryuken.com/2015/01/23/joey-mr-wizard-cuellar-discusses-evo-2015s-lineup/

For whenever their site is no longer down for maintenance.

Ah. Well still,it's poor timing. I'm not a fan of Tsubaki's changes either. What was the biggest complaint?

that's her?

After having her soul asaulted by Terumi and turned into Phantom, yes. But CP suggests she's more sane than was previously implied. She's gone nuts, but at least she's not catatonic.

CT is a really bad game

It was still the innovator, and had the best story mode, so I can see the fondness for it. It was part of the reason I bought a PS3.

Most of the complaints regarding CPEX are similar to the ones I heard regarding CSEX. Mainly that even though the game is relatively well balanced, their method of doing that was by essentially worsening every character and taking out their gimmicks and dumb stuff, which is what makes BB fun and unique for a lot of people. It's a more honest game, and I guess people don't want that in their anime.

I've also heard complaints regarding ArcSys making combo routes unnecessarily harder just for difficulty's sake, but that's something they do all the time so I don't think that's a CPEX thing exclusively.

Most of the complaints regarding CPEX are similar to the ones I heard regarding CSEX. Mainly that even though the game is relatively well balanced, their method of doing that was by essentially worsening every character and taking out their gimmicks and dumb stuff, which is what makes BB fun and unique for a lot of people. It's a more honest game, and I guess people don't want that in their anime.

I've also heard complaints regarding ArcSys making combo routes unnecessarily harder just for difficulty's sake, but that's something they do all the time so I don't think that's a CPEX thing exclusively.
despite Noel being the same competitive tier, her combo routes are 10x harder than vanilla CP. Definitely hurts the midrange players

Uraizen

Banned
I really doubt that any of the reasons being named is why BBCP Extend is absent from Evo. That being said, the UI for this game is bringing back some bad memories. Save me, Izzy.

Well...uh...I hope it's good. And I hope they don't change Bullet too much. It was kinda weird going through some of her combo trials in CPEX and seeing how different her basic stuff was. I really wouldn't like a similar degree of change between it and CF.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I can't wait till the new character themes start leaking. That's always fun whenever a new BB comes out.
I'm excited for the story info. CP was easily the best in the series character and story wise. It really focused on the characters and had more fun relaxing time. While still having the great complex story.

Well...uh...I hope it's good. And I hope they don't change Bullet too much. It was kinda weird going through some of her combo trials in CPEX and seeing how different her basic stuff was. I really wouldn't like a similar degree of change between it and CF.

Eh she changed for the better so I don't mind, but hopefully this version her changes aren't drastic yeah.

...Is it just me or are the character portraits giving me very Guilty Gear XX vibes? I know the BB character sprites were never this well-detailed. As such, I'm now curious who's doing the sprite work here.

Nicovideo stream basically means you have to have premium otherwise you're going to get kicked off in about a nanosecond.

Unless another kind premium soul restreams for us.

I watch plenty of streams on Nicovideo and yes, you get kicked out, but you reload and you are in again, has never been a problem for me.

Well good thing I never got my copy of CPEX. I might as just well wait for this version to get released. Or just wait for CFEX....

Korigama

Anyone know what Nine is saying toward the end?
"So that's your wish? Indeed...truly worthless, isn't it?"

Something along those lines. Anyone else around who gave it a listen is free to correct me, if necessary.

EDIT: Ah, missed quite a bit. Forgot there was more just before the reveal.

EDIT2: Really late in coming back to this, but here we go.

"Well, what kind of world do you want? What do you desire? What kind of history? What kind of conflict? I wonder what kind of ruin you'll wish for. Before long, someone will defeat Izanami, and the truth of the world will be known. A truth of things that can't be changed. Central Fiction. At that time, people, historians...what choice will they make? In this worthless world, what do you wish for? Ragna the Bloodedge!? ...So that's your wish? Indeed...truly worthless, isn't it?"

Uraizen

Banned
Should I wait for this or go ahead and buy Extend? I've only ever played a tiny bit of the first one.

Extend is a pretty good value this time around considering how much DLC there was.

If you have a character you want to play now, get Extend. This won't be here for at least a year, I wager. Or wait a month, because Extend will probably go on sale fast.

I think that's being a little too generous. Maybe for the Japanese version, but the localized version probably won't be until Q1 2017. Yes, the thought of it makes me livid.

RedFury

So how does the story work in these games? Are they each their own story with a different "chapter" in the next game? Or is it the same story but a new chapter added to what was already there? In other words can I wait for the next extended and get the full story?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So how does the story work in these games? Are they each their own story with a different "chapter" in the next game? Or is it the same story but a new chapter added to what was already there? In other words can I wait for the next extended and get the full story?

Bb1 ct
bb2 cs
bb3 cp
bb4 cf

Are all a continuous story.

bb2 cse has a redone lengthy retelling of the events in bb1 ct so it's the best starting point for story

Dugna

Each game is a chapter and the extend version of them is the chapter expanded, this new one is chapter 4 basically.

petran79

Banned
bb2 cse has a redone lengthy retelling of the events in bb1 ct so it's the best starting point for story

I remember I had the GFWL version of CT on PC that supported crossplay with Xbox360 players. Havent touched the game for many months and now it does not work....

I'll revisit the game with the GOG version that makes installation simple. I was not interested in the story but mainly in the arcade mode and online play. I prefer playing the story the normal way rather than watching the video of CT in CSE. I think CT had the best OST too.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I remember I had the GFWL version of CT on PC that supported crossplay with Xbox360 players. Havent touched the game for many months and now it does not work....

I'll revisit the game with the GOG version that makes installation simple. I was not interested in the story but mainly in the arcade mode and online play. I prefer playing the story the normal way rather than watching the video of CT in CSE. I think CT had the best OST too.

ct and cs share the same ost. CS just adds to it

especensor

Neo Member
Tsubaki's way better in Extend than she was in 1.1.

Chronophantasma is, but not Chronophantasma Extend.

Continuum Shift Extend for Vita is on sale for $3.75 which is hella cheap. For those that own the console and never played the series, seems like a good price point and a way better choice to try the series out and experience the story. Especially as someone said earlier, it contains the Calamity Trigger story. As a plus, it includes also all the dlc characters of the vanilla Continuum Shift release.

Vanilla Chronophantasma at the sale price ($12) + dlc chars ($8 each) still comes to $28. Which seems like a terrible deal considering you can already buy Chronophantasma Extend used for $30 from GameStop. If you're patient you can even wait for CPE to go on sale.

Or it is honestly pretty valid criticism of fighting games in general, the only genre I see where they release updates as whole new games and charge full price for it. Updates they could have released as DLC for older games and free updates to people who didn't want new characters.

I think that one of the biggest hurdles of getting into fighting games as a new player is the constant 8 editions of a single fighting game that is constantly released. Wouldn't it be so much better if companies released 1 fighting games and continuously built upon that? Supporting it with updates as patches, DLCs, expansions and whatnot instead of releasing a whole new game because "We added 1 new character and want you to now pay 60 USD for it".

And if ArcSys want people to buy their games, how about fucking releasing the game before they announce the next edition of it? They announced a new version of Guilty Gear Xrd before it even got out here in Europe, as they always do every, single, goddamn time.

I think it is no wonder people say "I'll wait for the Directors Cut Super Saga Edition" when fighting games are the only ones operating under a absolutely crazy system nobody else does.

The problem with ASW is that they essentially kill their own franchises. A person who started playing SF4 from vanilla would only have two discs right now (three if Ultra was a disc upgrade), while Blazblue players would have five by now. Playing a game competitively is much harder when Japan is running a version that's completely different from the rest of the world. Xrd was a step in the right direction with the almost simultaneous release, but then they ruined that by announcing a new version before it even came out in Europe. It's hard for both newcomers and veterans to take a fighting game seriously when there's so many revisions and everyone is close to a year behind Japan at all times. Charging for updates is fine, but not when it's full price and there's no upgrade option for owners of previous versions; playing Blazblue competitively would cost hundreds of dollars at this point, while SF4's upgrade pricing was quite fair in comparison. We can only hope that Capcom's new upgrade plan for SF5 will encourage ArcSys to stop screwing over the people who play their games more than anyone else.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The problem with ASW is that they essentially kill their own franchises. A person who started playing SF4 from vanilla would only have two discs right now (three if Ultra was a disc upgrade), while Blazblue players would have five by now. Playing a game competitively is much harder when Japan is running a version that's completely different from the rest of the world. Xrd was a step in the right direction with the almost simultaneous release, but then they ruined that by announcing a new version before it even came out in Europe. It's hard for both newcomers and veterans to take a fighting game seriously when there's so many revisions and everyone is close to a year behind Japan at all times. Charging for updates is fine, but not when it's full price and there's no upgrade option for owners of previous versions; playing Blazblue competitively would cost hundreds of dollars at this point, while SF4's upgrade pricing was quite fair in comparison. We can only hope that Capcom's new upgrade plan for SF5 will encourage ArcSys to stop screwing over the people who play their games more than anyone else.

bbcs and bbcp also have a crap ton more content. (30+ hour story modes, fun single player modes, free update a year later) BBCSE and BBCPE are the stinkers in terms of value for previous owners.

petran79

Banned
bbcs and bbcp also have a crap ton more content. (30+ hour story modes, fun single player modes, free update a year later) BBCSE and BBCPE are the stinkers in terms of value for previous owners.

if 30+ hour story mode is coupled with silly anime tropes, I'd rather pass.

There is a huge difference between CT and CS already. CT while also maintaining a sense of humour and anime cliches, went never that far as CS. Adding things like ghost stories or detective stories, harem comedy or even those chibi Miss Litchi's educational bits and also Kokonoe's alternate reality dialogs, tested my patience already. And all this at the expense of fighting.

It seems as writing went down the drain, just to add more story unfortunately. CT story, while shorter, is better written, much more enjoyable and even on alternate paths you do not miss the fights

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
if 30+ hour story mode is coupled with silly anime tropes, I'd rather pass.

There is a huge difference between CT and CS already. CT while also maintaining a sense of humour and anime cliches, went never that far as CS. Adding things like ghost stories or detective stories, harem comedy or even those chibi Miss Litchi's educational bits and also Kokonoe's alternate reality dialogs, tested my patience already. And all this at the expense of fighting.

It seems as writing went down the drain, just to add more story unfortunately. CT story, while shorter, is better written, much more enjoyable and even on alternate paths you do not miss the fights

Let's not mince words, the whole franchise was anime as fuck to begin with. Go back and play Calamity Trigger, a majority of the things your complaining about were there from the start, rose colored glasses?

Speaking of those, they also abuse that 'love glasses' gag until its dead in the ground. We get it, Rachel loves Ragna. Do we need to see the same joke repeated a billion times?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
And all this at the expense of fighting.

Outside of a few rare cases story mode fights in pretty much any fighter ends up being vs standard braindead ai with nothing special about the fights.

I was glad CP cut back on pointless fights and Xrd did away with them completely.

petran79

Banned
Outside of a few rare cases story mode fights in pretty much any fighter ends up being vs standard braindead ai with nothing special about the fights.

I was glad CP cut back on pointless fights and Xrd did away with them completely.

I cant stare at those static screens forever! I need a fight from time to time
I liked the story mode of Guilty Gear AC much better though.

Let's not mince words, the whole franchise was anime as fuck to begin with. Go back and play Calamity Trigger, a majority of the things your complaining about were there from the start, rose colored glasses?

Speaking of those, they also abuse that 'love glasses' gag until its dead in the ground. We get it, Rachel loves Ragna. Do we need to see the same joke repeated a billion times?

Difference is that CT has fewer of those gags and without deviating too much from the main story. It had some GG vibe.
I guess the developers chose initially not to go too far with it, but once they gained a fanbase and approval, they were free to go overboard and also added Platinum

Aalvi

I played:

CT and CS

I'm interested in getting ps4 CP Extend. Storywise I remember a bit from the games I listed, am I missing anything? any recap?

Top Bottom