• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue Central Fiction announced! (BB4)

kewlmyc

Why is Mai so popular? Is the Remix Heart story that good?

Because cute girl, and no the story isn't good (but it's Blazblue, that's to be expected). But if they're adding spinoff protagonists now, she's the last one and is more popular that Naoto, plus CP Extend made her "canon" so I'm expecting her playable at some point. She uses dual swords so that might be fun.

Why do they keep adding random shitty characters no one cares about?

At least these two existed before this game, unlike the 4 new characters in CP. Hopefully this means they won't be hastily thrown into the story like the 4 new characters in CP.

I know ArcSys keep doing this to themselves, but does everyone have this out of their system? Each new game adds major mechanic updates and story developments.

The Extend releases are BS, but Capcom's no better.
Name a Capcom game that got a retail price update that added ONE character. Capcom is way better than ASW. ASW bleeds people out two characters at a time, and then sells DLC at an outrageous price rate.

Because you don't know better.
Are Hibiki and Naoto hype for BB fans? It doesn't seem like it in this thread.

Ofc everyone wants the gorgeous Nine. Who better be fun to play as, or I will have to main Rachel when I buy this and feel uncomfortable.

KiteGr

Cool news, but the Extend edition wont be released for at least 2 years from now, so I'll try to forget about it.

cj_iwakura

Name a Capcom game that got a retail price update that added ONE character. Capcom is way better than ASW. ASW bleeds people out two characters at a time, and then sells DLC at an outrageous price rate.

I agree, CP Extend was a new low, which is why I didn't buy it. I love the series and all, but I have limits. They still at least add other content to justify it, like new story modes(even if they're effectively unimportant). I'll get it eventually, but it's low on my list of priorities. It just sucks that I can't play the game as frequently until I do.

Ofc everyone wants the gorgeous Nine. Who better be fun to play as, or I will have to main Rachel when I buy this and feel uncomfortable.

I'll give ArcSys credit, they make these out of left field characters fun. I'm looking forward to the new guys, and Nine will be godlike.

I have no idea, but I don't think the fans in this thread are the ASW primary target market.

All the spin off VN and Manga nonsense for BB thats in Japan, I have no idea how many people here follow that. BB is like reverse Persona, where Persona is popular and getting milked, ASW is pushing BB in every medium to make it more popular and get more people into arcades or buying their games.

I have no idea, but I don't think the fans in this thread are the ASW primary target market.

All the spin off VN and Manga nonsense for BB thats in Japan, I have no idea how many people here follow that. BB is like reverse Persona, where Persona is popular and getting milked, ASW is pushing BB in every medium to make it more popular and get more people into arcades or buying their games.
Yeah, but I am saying that the folks in this thread don't seem thrilled about those two guys. Some hype for Nine, but mostly just Jubei demands.

So hyped for this!

Both Hibiki and Naoto look great so far. With Nine pretty much confirmed, just need Jubei to complete the roster for me.

Keasar

Yeah, but getting into a fighting game years after release is hardly ideal either.

I just feel it's something that mostly said by people that don't really understand fighting games to begin with.

Either way that joke was already played out in the 90s with all the different SF2 iterations.

Or it is honestly pretty valid criticism of fighting games in general, the only genre I see where they release updates as whole new games and charge full price for it. Updates they could have released as DLC for older games and free updates to people who didn't want new characters.

I think that one of the biggest hurdles of getting into fighting games as a new player is the constant 8 editions of a single fighting game that is constantly released. Wouldn't it be so much better if companies released 1 fighting games and continuously built upon that? Supporting it with updates as patches, DLCs, expansions and whatnot instead of releasing a whole new game because "We added 1 new character and want you to now pay 60 USD for it".

And if ArcSys want people to buy their games, how about fucking releasing the game before they announce the next edition of it? They announced a new version of Guilty Gear Xrd before it even got out here in Europe, as they always do every, single, goddamn time.

I think it is no wonder people say "I'll wait for the Directors Cut Super Saga Edition" when fighting games are the only ones operating under a absolutely crazy system nobody else does.

Rainy

Banned
So I guess if I want to get into BB, getting CP extend isn't a good idea because I would not know the story from the previous games?

cj_iwakura

So I guess if I want to get into BB, getting CP extend isn't a good idea because I would not know the story from the previous games?

I'd suggest getting CS Extend, which covers everything. CP Extend just has the library full of reference material, which isn't the same.

petran79

Banned
I'd suggest getting CS Extend, which covers everything. CP Extend just has the library full of reference material, which isn't the same.

Story made me almost quit the game....Those anime tropes, those voices, those grimaces! Also if you chose the wrong option in story mode, you were presented with even more sillyness! Had to press skip button.

Only part I liked was the rivalry between Carl and Relius and hopefully this will be resolved in a touching but tragic family reunion in BB4.

Realistically this is probably going to hit arcades late this year, early next and a console version won't be released for probably another year. I feel like by then I will be happy to get a new iteration. New characters look pretty neat, especially Nine. I'm glad they're sticking with the sprites over GG Xrds art. BB is it's own thing and needs to look distinct from GG.

shaowebb

I'm in day 1 of JP release :p

I so need to get good at this series period. I always fall victim to the pitfall of dropping when a new version is announced when I should just go SF and play on till it hits.

I'm really curious what new character gimmicks they'll cook up this time for the new faces.This series takes combat a lot of new places in terms of toolsets and I always enjoy seeing the outcome.

ive always loved BB ever since I owned the first game but I never got to play the others. I hopped on the wiki to see if I could catch up on the story.

.......NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE! Shit is too confusing to fully understand on wiki. Any chance this game will have all the story modes of the past games? Maybe go the Persona 4 Ultimate Arena route and sell them as DLC?

Seriously when did the story get so.........yeah. Not saying its bad, but just wow. Its like you were watching a movie and enjoying it, then look away for a few seconds and look back too see its like completely different movie.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
ive always loved BB ever since I owned the first game but I never got to play the others. I hopped on the wiki to see if I could catch up on the story.

.......NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE! Shit is too confusing to fully understand on wiki. Any chance this game will have all the story modes of the past games? Maybe go the Persona 4 Ultimate Arena route and sell them as DLC?

Seriously when did the story get so.........yeah. Not saying its bad, but just wow. Its like you were watching a movie and enjoying it, then look away for a few seconds and look back too see its like completely different movie.

Well this is part 4 of a story heavy series :p

Droplet

bwahaha they actually added Hibiki over Jubei. All those jokes ended up being the truth.

Also loving the new character art.

Well this is part 4 of a story heavy series :p

Which is cool.....but do I REALLY have to buy all the games? I dont wanna buy a disc I know I wont use again after beating since its outdated.

Meh....maybe ill watch a Letsplay via youtube. Not the same experience but oh well. :/

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Hell yeah! Hype through the roof. The end of the last one was so intense. Hopefully this is the end of the story because I want all the answers. Love this series!

Toxi

Banned
Calamity Trigger
Continuum Shift
Chrono Phantasma
Central Fiction

You know, despite how ridiculous the "Blazblue" name is, the subtitles outside of Chrono Phantasma are all pretty normal and self-explanatory.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Calamity Trigger
Continuum Shift
Chrono Phantasma
Central Fiction

You know, despite how ridiculous the "Blazblue" name is, the subtitles outside of Chrono Phantasma are all pretty normal and self-explanatory.

chrono-
combining form
relating to time.

phan•tasm (ˈfæn tæz əm)

n.
1. an apparition or specter.
2. a creation of the imagination or fancy; fantasy.
3. a mental image or representation of a real object.
4. an illusory likeness of something.
Which is cool.....but do I REALLY have to buy all the games? I dont wanna buy a disc I know I wont use again after beating since its outdated.

Meh....maybe ill watch a Letsplay via youtube. Not the same experience but oh well. :/

Just Continuum Shift Extend and Chrono Phantasma Extend

Rhapsody

Banned
Still excited over the trailer. ASW always does a good job on their BB reveal trailers. Day 1 import for me (well, if it's on PS3 I guess lol).

I never actually asked for Hibiki but I did think he could be a fun playable character because of some comments made about him in the story mode. Then I found out he was planned to be added to CP Extend to the point of all characters already having win quotes against him in the game so it's no surprise at all he's here now.

Naoto looks like he could be interesting, and Nine is Nine so obviously there's some excitement for her.

...Where's Jubei tho damn it

Biker19

Banned
The problem with doing that is they'd have to redo the entire cast. I expect them to do this at some point a game or two out but it will likely be a new BlazBlue from the ground up with less characters.

Good thing that ASW is doing that with Guilty Gear now, I guess.

One of the biggest pros about this game is that the game's acronym no longer has CP in the title, so I don't have to feel like my IP is logged every time I type it or talk about it in a Skype call.

Dugna

Think they will add a recap or the story for Naoto? Because it cost alot to get some of these side stories legit. He seems to have some kind of power kinda similar to Ragna and his hair shifts colors.

Think they will add a recap or the story for Naoto? Because it cost alot to get some of these side stories legit. He seems to have some kind of power kinda similar to Ragna and his hair shifts colors.

Well they sorta did that for Celica in CP so it's not out of the question

Chronophantasma isn't just something they made up for the title.

It's definition is explained in the story mode.

I guess this version isn't using that tag mode idea Mori was talking about before?

Reszo

Maybe now is the time to finally get a new BB game. I've been putting it off because every time I wait for the price to go down a new one is announced lol. I'll probably get CPE then trade it in and get this/extend version when it comes out.

LegatoB

I agree, CP Extend was a new low, which is why I didn't buy it. I love the series and all, but I have limits. They still at least add other content to justify it, like new story modes(even if they're effectively unimportant). I'll get it eventually, but it's low on my list of priorities. It just sucks that I can't play the game as frequently until I do.
Technically speaking, it's not a new low. It's basically the same as Continuum Shift Extend!

fader

that's her?

latest

pretty much my sentiments. I don't know the consensus in Japan, But I can bet their forums are filled with glee over a new installment.

for fighting games, America is primarily a console market, Japan is manly arcade. I just feel like that creates a separate ideology for how ASW does things. Japan is their main market, Europe and America are just side deserts.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Yeahhhhh I'm gonna give this series a rest until they update the sprites ...CT is still my Fav

Top Bottom