• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard trademarks Eye of Azshara, could be next Hearthstone or WoW expac

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
There's never going to be an Emerald Dream expansion is there?

I certainly hope not. After all this time I have still never been able to understand why that is appealing.

Gul'dan is dead in WoW. Draenor has the alternate dimension mumbo jumbo which is why he's in that.

His ghost showed up in a capacity in Burning Crusade. Nobody really said what happened to his skull (powerful artifact) after Illidan was slain though.

It was looted by thousands of mages and warlocks :p. It's a level 70 trinket he drops.

Remember when Titan was scraped a while back and you had only a small team of veteran devs working on it? It is certainly possible that that team was working on the next expansion to WoW instead. That would have given them ample time to whip something up for Blizzcon.

Overwatch is another trademark mentioned at mmo-champion, but to me overwatch evokes a much more mechanical theme than Eye of Azshara.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I really hope this is a WoW expansion, not hearthstone.
I don't! Not because I'm not interested in the future of WoW, but rather because I don't want the expansion being called Eye of Azshara :lol

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I hope it's an expansion to World of Warcraft. I like the character Azshara, naga and underwater locations (I really liked Vashj'ir in Cataclysm). Hopefully could an expansion like that also continue the story of Neptulon the Tidehunter and what happened to him after the events in Throne of the Tides.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
They said expansions would be coming yearly from now on, did they not? If I'm remembering right, that means seeing a new WoW xpac at Blizzcon would be entirely realistic.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Maybe with Azshara, they will finally give us the raid that they ripped out of Cataclysm :(... R.I.P. Good, varied content.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They're definitely trying to get to annual WoW expansion packs, and it's plausible they would announce that at Blizzcon, but I was kind of assuming they would move to the normal Activision announcement cycle for annual products of April/May announcement -> November release given that Draenor isn't out yet.

Hearthstone's expac I'm expecting in Q1 though, especially since it's just cards instead of other content they have to work on as well which is what they said took the most time last time.

But yes plausibly this would fit either really well depending on if they're talking about the goblin area or the Naga Queen.

The Eye of Azshara is the Maelstrom a recurring topic of many rumored expansion pack themes.

What if as a result of the Warlords of Draenor time-travel shenanigans, the lost continent landmass that was swallowed by the Maelstrom during the sundering is restored, at least partially? That is one way to add a new landmass to Azeroth.

Skab

The Eye of Azshara is the Maelstrom a recurring topic of many rumored expansion pack themes.

What if as a result of the Warlords of Draenor time-travel shenanigans, the lost continent landmass that was swallowed by the Maelstrom during the sundering is restored, at least partially? That is one way to add a new landmass to Azeroth.

It isn't straight time travel thats happening in WoD. It takes place in an alternate time-line. Nothing done there will alter "our" world.

It isn't straight time travel thats happening in WoD. It takes place in an alternate time-line. Nothing done there will alter "our" world.

Well good, because time travel causes headaches.

They should have done that for the original caverns of time, rather than come up with ways to reset after each one.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
No need, books did it for us. Stupid I know, but it kind of works because Emerald Dream expansion would have just been super short as well.
They left the ending with an ambiguous thread of "possible lingering danger", so an Emerald Dream expansion isn't entirely out of the question. Would be nice to see the Night Elves get some attention, for once.

...which is, incidentally, why I'm kinda hoping this is a WoW expansion. The Highborne would be stealing the spotlight and I'm sure the Night Elves haven't forgotten what Azshara did during the War of the Ancients. I'd expect to see Malfurion and Tyrande take center stage in the same way Thrall, Varian, and Anduin have been doing recently. Ditto for Blood Elves on Horde side - maybe Lor'themar could finally do something important.

Regiruler

The Dark Below was an Activision-blizzard trademark that turned out to be a Destiny expansion pack.

Destiny-Expansion-Pass_info-sheet-360x480.jpg

This highly disappoints me for some reason.

Tetranet

Wow. If I remember correctly, expansion trademarks don't happen so soon. My guess is a Hearthstone expansion, but either way the fact that they give attention to that part of the lore is extremely exciting. It's been a long time coming, foretold since TBC.

Not really, they want to go for annual expacs now, so it would indeed be revealed at Blizzcon regardless of WoD, to be released next November/Winter 2015.

Personally I don't think they will manage yearly xpacs, not without screwing content over. I wouldn't pay the price of WoD each year either for less content at a higher price than earlier xpacs.

I don't remember them saying they wanted yearly expansions, but that sounds ridiculous and nearly impossible, even for Blizzard. Especially for Blizzard actually. I don't think they'll ever do yearly expansions unless they release new raid tiers as expansions. It's just way too much work.

Gul'dan is dead in WoW. Draenor has the alternate dimension mumbo jumbo which is why he's in that.

His ghost showed up in a capacity in Burning Crusade. Nobody really said what happened to his skull (powerful artifact) after Illidan was slain though.

It's in my bank. It whispers evil plans that sound surprisingly good for some reason. Drink demon blood? Uh, um. OK! That sounds pretty good.

Even Mike Morhaime confirmed they are already working on the next expansion. So I'm pretty sure that's what this is going to be and they should definitely have something to show with a year of dev time already under their belt.

Of course they're working on it. These things are planned years in advance. I bet they already have some work done for the one after that too. That doesn't mean thay have anything playable or even a trailer. Pre-production alone could take a year.

wish we got a more subterranean expansion... something like a massive Underdark a la Forgotten Realms (the Drow and Drizzt), with a single dungeon with many instances like a DAOC's Darkness Falls where the entire expansion is this incredibly massive subterrarian complex that the Horde and Alliance have to push and develop their way through toward the eventually 'enemy city' that's like 3-4 hours of walking deep underground (passable with fast travel later of course)...

i'd be OK with more snowy mountain forests or any more PvP/War focused expansion too but I'm not holding my breath haha

Of course they're working on it. These things are planned years in advance. I bet they already have some work done for the one after that too. That doesn't mean thay have anything playable or even a trailer. Pre-production alone could take a year.

The main difference being they've stated they want to pursue annual releases.

Top Bottom