• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
3EFRl5l.jpg

via the NX subreddit. did it come from here?

dead

bones123

If this is real, Nintendo is dead in the console space. They need to knock it out of the park with the NX, the 3DS will be their last bastion if this isn't as fake as it looks.

gafneo

Banned
Or maybe something like the wiiu, or the rest of the devices with screen on them.

You mean like Ipads and tablets where your hands cover everything? More screen room = more places to put hud clutter so its not in eye level. Also reduces size so a bigger screen fits in pockect.

The_Lump

Banned
But all that means is that one still from a demo that is oddly cropped on the prototype could come from a couple different spots in the demo (even though it's hard to dispute the specific frame). Either way, it may not refute the legitimacy of the prototype but it definitely hurts its credibility.

Yeah doesn't change anything I know. I'm remaining skeptical, but I think it's still a plausible leak.

Pokemaniac

Having been keeping up.

Has anything new actually come up since the initial post?

The biggest discovery is probably the identification of the tech demo displayed on the screen. One of the frames from a public video of the demo matches up a bit too perfectly with what's on the screen, given how weirdly the content is aligned.

But all that means is that one still from a demo that is oddly cropped on the prototype could come from a couple different spots in the demo (even though it's hard to dispute the specific frame). Either way, it may not refute the legitimacy of the prototype but it definitely hurts its credibility.

I just see it as unfortunate it can't prove to be something either way, like if the FOV was wider than the 16:9 video it might say something. I don't really expect that to be the norm though as it causes more cpu work.

I just see it as unfortunate it can't prove to be something either way, like if the FOV was wider than the 16:9 video it might say something. I don't really expect that to be the norm though as it causes more cpu work.

Some people are naturally skeptical I suppose. I like to think I'm fairly open minded, but there are just way too many things wrong with that picture (hehe).

Some people are naturally skeptical I suppose. I like to think I'm fairly open minded, but there are just way too many things wrong with that picture (hehe).

Well I'm not totally convinced, but my best bet is the handheld would look very similar to that anyway. I would love to find a smoking gun that proves it's fake or real but there's not one I can see.

It seems like it's only rendering like half the screen from the tech demo which wouldn't make too much sense.
And it matches way too close to that first picture to be something else (an interactive demo) but it's also off centered. Don't think there's a zoom in button present in the display either and if it was gyro based it wouldn't be looking up since the controller is on a flat surface

RootCause

You mean like Ipads and tablets where your hands cover everything? More screen room = more places to put hud clutter so its not in eye level. Also reduces size so a bigger screen fits in pockect.
Oh, so now it's okay be like smartphones, and tablets. Boy do I love me some change of heart in the morning. 😒

WarpathDC

It's probably fake. Also, didn't the NX controller screen be rumored to have glasses free 3D a la 3ds. That would explain the camera and sensors at the bottom for eye tracking. I need real button tbh or why not just use my damn cell phone as a controller? Also, it doesn't portable in the same manner 3ds would be. With the trigger buttons and the big analog sticks it's not exact a pocket device

Added the hands to my mock up. I think it look nice.. like something futuristic. Starting to like the idea a lot.

2AlzoTS.jpg

I think, looking at it like this makes it look a lot better. A lot of people are having knee jerk reactions because it's so DIFFERENT and incomplete. Add in the hand grips that the final version will almost certainly have and it changes things completely.

I am still wary of touch screen buttons if this is real, but I'd have to see what they've done with haptic feedback and such. If they've got technology in there that lets you properly feel the buttons, it may not be so bad. Even then though I'm not sure how will the D-pad could work...

jblank83

Oh, so now it's okay be like smartphones, and tablets. Boy do I love me some change of heart in the morning. ��

Yes, and now apparently it's ok to like waggle sticks like the Wii as long as you strap a helmet on your face.

What times we live in.

It seems like it's only rendering like half the screen from the tech demo which wouldn't make too much sense.
And it matches way too close to that first picture to be something else (an interactive demo) but it's also off centered. Don't think there's a zoom in button present in the display either and if it was gyro based it wouldn't be looking up since the controller is on a flat surface

head tracking would fix that, or a mix of gyro that gets regularly calibrated to head tracking. The setup screen for the new3DS shows you.where your head is in two dimensions but I don't think it's ever used as a gameplay input beyond there (reserved for stable 3D barrier, which is only 1D.)
Given the picture is taken from the bottom left, and showing the top right of the view, it could be picking up the photographer and displsying accordingly!

Yes, and now apparently it's ok to like waggle sticks like the Wii as long as you strap a helmet on your face.

What times we live in.

I think this is the most bizarre part about the hype surrounding VR. Wii sucked, but pay an extra $500+ to play a more advanced Wii using VR and motion control is suddenly exciting.

gafneo

Banned
Added the hands to my mock up. I think it look nice.. like something futuristic. Starting to like the idea a lot.

2AlzoTS.jpg

The handles would be third party I bet. The real thing would have a grip in the back like the Wii U. If they give us a flat back it will slip out of hands.

head tracking would fix that, or a mix of gyro that gets regularly calibrated to head tracking. The setup screen for the new3DS shows you.where your head is in two dimensions but I don't think it's ever used as a gameplay input beyond there (reserved for stable 3D barrier, which is only 1D.)
Given the picture is taken from the bottom left, and showing the top right of the view, it could be picking up the photographer and displsying accordingly!
I don't think that's the case. Sounds very unlikely and it's probably stretching a bit to prove that it's not a fake.
I know there has been so awfully silly ways to disprove fakes like Little Mac over Shulk or Nintendo re-using assets, but this seems too convenient.
Nintendo using the same exact design from the patent showing a picture that lines up perfectly with a zoomed in youtube video but off centered?

The_Lump

Banned
The handles would be third party I bet. The real thing would have a grip in the back like the Wii U. If they give us a flat back it will slip out of hands.

That patent image had handles/hand grips. Could be detachable of course, but I would put money on Nintendo providing them as standard.

Pokemaniac

I mean, Nintendo did something like this with Looksly's Line-Up (I probably just terribly misspelled that), but the difference was never that drastic. That game basically faked a 3D diorama on the DSi.

It's not implausible that they have some camera movement enabled in this demo, but, if they did, it seems doubtful that we'd find a frame that matched up that exactly while simultaneously being part of a larger image. The reason the image seems so unlikely is that it seems to be panning around a 2D image rather than moving a camera in 3D space.

I don't think that's the case. Sounds very unlikely and it's probably stretching a bit to prove that it's not a fake.
I know there has been so awfully silly ways to disprove fakes like Little Mac over Shulk or Nintendo re-using assets, but this seems too convenient.
Nintendo using the same exact design from the patent showing a picture that lines up perfectly with a zoomed in youtube video but off centered?

I just find the idea of deliberately or accidentally placing an off centred video capture just as weird. The stuff I'm saying only matches theories I've had in the past when trying to figure out how you'd develop games that work on a small 3:1 screen as well as a 16:9 tv version.

gafneo

Banned
That patent image had handles/hand grips. Could be detachable of course, but I would put money on Nintendo providing them as standard.

If they do, it would be nice. Those things are like 5 dollars for the 3DS. It's no ones loss if they include it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom