• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry : Should you install The Witcher 3's day one patch ( XO version )

driver116

This just sounds bad. I thought the idea of dynamic resolution was to maintain a steady frame rate. I couldn't be dealing with fluctuating resolution and frame rate at the same time.

RedAssedApe

Banned
how is the framepacing compared to bloodborne? i recall people complaining about that too...but it never bothered me

same with RE:HD on PS4

The juddering/frame pacing problems sound awful...are they as bad/noticeable on PS4 as that's where I'm getting this...

Well this is what I'm waiting on before I plunge for the game - it's not really my type of game, so I'm not too worried if I miss it, but I'd certainly like to give it a go. The promised Bloodborne framepacing fix hadn't arrived last time I looked, so I'm still waiting on that.

I'd rather play at solid 25fps then a fluctuating 30, if it's predictable and steady I can work around it in the low numbers.

Javin98

Banned
I gather it is the same for XB1 then during gameplay as well. Seriously they need to address this. It really hurts the presentation of this game... and I dont understand why. Should there be a specific thread for this issue that perhaps gathers the necessary attention in order for CDP to take corrective action?
Yeah, it really needs to be addressed soon. I believe CDP will fix it. The question is when. Well, I hope ASAP. BTW, I was making a reference to Bloodborne ;)

tuna_love

Banned
I hope it gets patched soon. Its pure dog shit at the moment. Its a million times worse on Xbox than it was for bloodborne.

valkyre

Yeah, it really needs to be addressed soon. I believe CDP will fix it. The question is when. Well, I hope ASAP. BTW, I was making a reference to Bloodborne ;)

I dont remember bloodborne being so bad to be honest. And I pretty much destroyed that game for more than 100+ hours. Witcher 3 seems to stutter very bad during just simple navigation. Dunno maybe its just my idea.

For which game? Both are plagued with the same issues. Though one is bloodier than the other :p

The witcher 3 off course, don't have a ps4 yet gonna wait for E3 before deciding if im
getting one this year.

Also it seems like a lot people expected the witcher 3 to downscale from 1080p
to 900p instead of upscale from 900p to 1080p?

RedAssedApe

Banned
so its not as bad as bloodborne...which i didn't even notice at all. sounds like it should be a non-issue. for me at least. woot.

Mastperf

so its not as bad as bloodborne...which i didn't even notice at all. sounds like it should be a non-issue. for me at least. woot.
If you've watched the Gamersyde comparison video and didn't notice then you should be fine. I'm sure it will vary from person to person.

Javin98

Banned
I dont remember bloodborne being so bad to be honest. And I pretty much destroyed that game for more than 100+ hours. Witcher 3 seems to stutter very bad during just simple navigation. Dunno maybe its just my idea.
According to a few others here, Bloodborne's frame pacing issue seems worse?

valkyre

Is CDProjectRed informed about people wanting a 30fps cap?

And a fix for stuttering if the framerate lock wont fix it?

Like I said before I am of the opinion to create a performance thread (consoles) for this issue.

If it is good enough to grab some attention and get this fixed, it would be great.

thelastword

Banned
Hey, if dynamic resolutions help more games hit solid framerates, I'm all for it.

This game really should be locked at 30.
Not in the case of the xbone, the xbone struggles to hit a solid framerate in many games at a locked 900p, I don't see how a dynamic resolution helps it there at all. With that being said, it's the very reason that all attempts of dynamic resolution on the xbone has been bullshit thusfar. It was bullshit in COD-AW and it's bullshit here as well.

playXray

According to a few others here, Bloodborne's frame pacing issue seems worse?

I'm not saying they weren't there, but I didn't notice any stuttering or frame-pacing issues in Bloodborne and I've played through to NG+. It will be interesting to see if I have the same experience with TW3.

And a fix for stuttering if the framerate lock wont fix it?

Like I said before I am of the opinion to create a performance thread (consoles) for this issue.

If it is good enough to grab some attention and get this fixed, it would be great.

Could informative for others, the more people know of these framerate issues the better
it might inspire devs to go for a locked and capped 30 fps game.
Not release a game that goes from 31~37 all the time not holding a steady pacing.

I wanted to start the game today, but don't know if I should as I would absolutely hate the constant stuttering. Just have my digital copy sitting there, not sure if I should pull the trigger and start it. I just know the stuttering will cause a major headache...

Bluenoser

I haven't really noticed any major issues for PS4. Bloodborne was a closed environment (except maybe the forest) and it had the problem pretty noticeable, but Witcher seems pretty smooth to me. When I pan my camera around, it is fairly smooth, and when I am moving Geralt, it is DEFINITELY smoother than in BB. Can't say anything about the XB1 version though.

Really really weird that they did not at least offer the option of locking it. PC version even has a slider where you can select the framerate you want to lock the game at.

Not in the case of the xbone, the xbone struggles to hit a solid framerate in many games at a locked 900p, I don't see how a dynamic resolution helps it there at all. With that being said, it's the very reason that all attempts of dynamic resolution on the xbone has been bullshit thusfar. It was bullshit in COD-AW and it's bullshit here as well.

Which games are struggling to stay at 30 fps, 900P resolution? Maybe a rushed to launch game such as Dead Rising 3 sure. You even said "many games" which ones are they?

Stacey

Banned
I wanted to start the game today, but don't know if I should as I would absolutely hate the constant stuttering. Just have my digital copy sitting there, not sure if I should pull the trigger and start it. I just know the stuttering will cause a major headache...

I've played for approximately 2 hours on ps4, the frame pacing "issues" are really, really minor, there have been a few hitches during cut scenes but actual gameplay is pretty damn smooth especially compared to what ive seen of the xbox one version.

EDIT:: oops, forgot i was posting in an xbox one thread, sorry :/

I've played for approximately 2 hours on ps4, the frame pacing "issues" are really, really minor, there have been a few hitches during cut scenes but actual gameplay is pretty damn smooth especially compared to what ive seen of the xbox one version.

Yeah, I have the game downloaded on my Xbox One but without the 30fps cap (like the PS4 version has), I don't know how smooth the game will be. I just looked at Digital Foundry's Patch 1.01 video again at 1080p60 and it didn't seem too bad. The pre-rendered cut-scenes had some notable stutter but the actual gameplay seemed fine.

I'll probably start it up and see how it goes...

Javin98

Banned
I'm not saying they weren't there, but I didn't notice any stuttering or frame-pacing issues in Bloodborne and I've played through to NG+. It will be interesting to see if I have the same experience with TW3.
I can't say for sure, I don't have a PS4 yet. But when I do get Bloodborne, I doubt I would notice the frame pacing issues unless it's a major issue. I'm not very sensitive to frame rate drops and judder but I do notice the big ones.

Noobcraft

I can't say for sure, I don't have a PS4 yet. But when I do get Bloodborne, I doubt I would notice the frame pacing issues unless it's a major issue. I'm not very sensitive to frame rate drops and judder but I do notice the big ones.
It was tolerable to me but frame pacing issues in general suck. They are very common in some areas like the one in the video I linked, and that's just a 30 fps capture of Bloodborne.
https://youtu.be/4cO_0J43bOY

I really hope CDPR fixes the frame pacing quickly.

Cavalier

Banned
The juddering/frame pacing problems sound awful...are they as bad/noticeable on PS4 as that's where I'm getting this...

Yep. It runs terribly on PS4 from what I've read so far as well. Considering the fact that they're still working to improve the framerate on Day One, makes me wonder if the game was even finished in the first place. But it's year 2015. This is the norm today. XD

Javin98

Banned
Yep. It runs terribly on PS4 from what I've read so far as well. Considering the fact that they're still working to improve the framerate on Day One, makes me wonder if the game was even finished in the first place. But it's year 2015. This is the norm today. XD
So if the frame rate on the PS4 version is terrible, what would you call the frame rate on the XB1 version?

Hoje0308

Banned
Xbox One's dynamic resolution scaling may also help to uphold this level of performance - in effect before and after the patch. In theory, this allows the framebuffer to switch between a 1600x900 resolution to a native 1920x1080 on the fly, seemingly based on GPU load at any given point. However, in practice this doesn't switch as much as we'd expected - The Witcher 3 is predominantly a 900p game, and the only scenes we've found to run at a full 1080p are the in-engine rendered title screen, and the video cut-scenes. Even reducing the GPU load by looking directly up to the sky shows the game is still rendering at a native 900p. We do notice some indoors scenes rendering at what seems to be a higher resolution than 900p, but even here, it is clearly not a full, native 1080p output.

So, 1080pr then.

Playing the PS4 version atm and while framerate looks to be solid there is a ton of stuttering/frame pacing issues even during gameplay.

Does the XB1 version experience the same thing? I am only asking because from DF article I am not sure if frame passing and stuttering is a thing of just cutscenes and videos or it is also present during gameplay.

Sorry, Valkyrie, but if there's stuttering, framerate isn't solid. Maybe you meant you can play without much of a problem like me on X1. It's safe to say now both platforms need another patch to fix this.

psychotron

It doesn't run terrible. Some cutscenes stutter and there's odd crashes and graphical glitches like the black water video I posted. Aside from that, I'm actually pretty happy with how the frame rate is holding up when riding the horse of engaging enemies. All of the "major" issues should be fixable with patches.

cgcg

Interesting they *dont have* the ps4 version when all other sites reviewed the ps4 version.

*my tinfoil hat is already on*

Sorry, Valkyrie, but if there's stuttering, framerate isn't solid. Maybe you meant you can play without much of a problem like me on X1. It's safe to say now both platforms need another patch to fix this.

Stuttering can be caused by frame pacing issues as well, even if frame rate is capped at 30fps.

cgcg

Haha it's amazing how quickly CDPR has tarnished their immaculate reputation with their PR bullshit.

I think it's forced by the almighty marketing dollars of their overlord. Not exactly their fault, OK maybe 20% oof the fault. This is FF7 level of scam marketing. Didn't square got sued?

Outrun

Playing this game on the X1 last night after reading this thread, I cannot help but feel a disconnect between my experience and the words posted by some.

For me, the game is enjoyable and pretty. I would not wait until patch X comes out to enjoy this game.

theytookourjobz

Playing this game on the X1 last night after reading this thread, I cannot help but feel a disconnect between my experience and the words posted by some.

For me, the game is enjoyable and pretty. I would not wait until patch X comes out to enjoy this game.

Same here. Haven't noticed any issues.

Prine

Banned

Same here, after the intro its been smooth and enjoyable. I'd encourage those waiting for a patch to play it and see for yourself. No game breaking issues so far.

Glomby

I think there is way to much hyperbole in this thread.

I don't know if anybody brought it up yet but the Xbox one patch has to be bugged.

You literally can't have a dynamic framerate AND a dynamic resolution. That's impossible. If you, let's say, look up into the sky you're framerate would skyrocket and therefore put more load on the gpu. The resolution will never go up with an unlocked framerate ever.

However, if your framerate is locked and you look up into the sky your gpu will have way less to do and you can easily afford a higher framerate.

Since the W3 has an unlocked resolution the dynamic resolution will simply never work or at least almost never and that's exactly what's going on here. This is simply a bug and people already wanna sue CDPR for this....

Once they properly lock the framerate they can not only fix the stuttering/ frame pacing but the dynamic resolution will actually work outside of menus as well.

NBtoaster

Seems weird to try dynamic resolution but not lock the framerate. Other games that use dynamic res drop the resolution when the framerate is at risk at dropping below the target, but here there is no consistent baseline, it just wobbles between 30-40fps. Perhaps the res is dropping whenever it is below 60fps, which is everywhere in the game except the title screen.

Your experience is in-line with many accounts I've read across the web. Seems most people report a very smooth & enjoyable experience with the XB1 version, with a few reports of occasional (minor) stutter in a cut-scene.

I'm picking-up my copy in T-minus 45 min. I'll post here later on this evening and give you the low-down on my personal experience.

ps3ud0

Is there anything from CDPR why they choose 900p to upscale rather than the favoured 1080p x dynamic resolution other developers have used? Just seems a sensible idea only scaling on one axis rather than both - should mean a reduction in possible aliasing too

ps3ud0 8)

Wereroku

I think there is way to much hyperbole in this thread.

I don't know if anybody brought it up yet but the Xbox one patch has to be bugged.

You literally can't have a dynamic framerate AND a dynamic resolution. That's impossible. If you, let's say, look up into the sky you're framerate would skyrocket and therefore put more load on the gpu. The resolution will never go up with an unlocked framerate ever.

However, if your framerate is locked and you look up into the sky your gpu will have way less to do and you can easily afford a higher framerate.

Since the W3 has an unlocked resolution the dynamic resolution will simply never work or at least almost never and that's exactly what's going on here. This is simply a bug and people already wanna sue CDPR for this....

Once they properly lock the framerate they can not only fix the stuttering/ frame pacing but the dynamic resolution will actually work outside of menus as well.

Except the framerate doesn't skyrocket when you look at the sky. The game pretty much just continues to perform the same.

Is there anything from CDPR why they choose 900p to upscale rather than the favoured 1080p x dynamic resolution other developers have used? Just seems a sensible idea only scaling on one axis rather than both - should mean a reduction in possible aliasing

ps3ud0 8)

Probably because the game is maintaining 30-37 fps at 900p there probably isn't any overhead to go above it really. We have to wait for the full DF analysis to see. But really the res is not dynamic it is almost always 900p except for specific indoor areas. Either their dynamic res programming is broken or they consider the cutscenes changing res to be dynamic.

Top Bottom