• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry : Should you install The Witcher 3's day one patch ( XO version )

the difference between 900p and 1080p is just about a bunch of petulant teens with nothing better to do

how can people ignore that someone else may have different feelings from them?

This kind of cognitive dissonance can't be accidental, can it? That's like saying "I'm not racist, but..." and then launching into a hate-filled, anti-Semitic tirade that goes on for fifteen minutes (obviously your nonsense is a much less serious offense, but still).

I choose to believe your account is an alt account, created by one of the mods in an attempt to get us normal folks in trouble by posting inane rantings, then banning those of us who tear into you. Well, I'm not falling for it, Bish. Good try, but no.

The V-sync + uncapped fps is strange.

Also lol at 1080p dynamic res, it's not even dynamic if looking at the sky with nothing else rendering doesn't change the res but moving to just some indoor places do (still not 1080p), it's handpicked.

RyudBoy

I do not post much, but I just thought I would put my own $0.02 in here.

I have the game, and it is all patched up. To me it is totally playable. Only real hitches I have noticed is a couple in the first CGI intro, and then when you meet the griffon for the first time at the cart. Once actual gameplay starts, seems fine to me. Maybe others are just more sensitive to it I guess. Does not bother me at all though.

It is less noticeable when you're in the open world moving around, especially when mounted on a horse and going fast, but the stuttering is still there. For me, it's very bothersome. If it were just a few instances it wouldn't be an issue, but the problem is that it's constant. It never goes away, and it needs to be fixed immediately.

Stormy

It is less noticeable when you're in the open world moving around, especially when mounted on a horse and going fast, but the stuttering is still there. For me, it's very bothersome. If it were just a few instances it wouldn't be an issue, but the problem is that it's constant. It never goes away, and it needs to be fixed immediately.

Absolutely. If it bothers you that bad, then wait. I am not saying it is not there, I trust others are not lying when they say they see it. It just doesn't bother me is all.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Can someone point me to all the misleading 1080p marketing that's gonna fool poor innocent consumers?

Me too.

When did MS say its 1080p? reading through the comments here, looks like they betrayed everyone.

Me too.

When did MS say its 1080p? reading through the comments here, looks like they betrayed everyone.

Even if MS didn't say it, I do recall someone from CD Projekt saying 1080p is just not happening on X1, even with DX12 but here we are. After that, I seriously doubt CDP are the ones behind this 1080p marketing battle.

c0de

Can someone point me to all the misleading 1080p marketing that's gonna fool poor innocent consumers?

I asked it, too, but you won't get an answer to this but even more posts that say how ridiculous it is although it doesn't even exist. Which is ridiculous.

Conduit

Banned

Chobel

I asked it, too, but you won't get an answer to this but even more posts that say how ridiculous it is although it doesn't even exist. Which is ridiculous.

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGG9yXmRCyQ and the PR sent to many gaming websites
"The video you're now watching is grabbed directly from an Xbox One console. We've been working to give gamers an even better experience on Xbox One and, on day one, we'll bring you dynamic scaling from 900p to 1080p,"

I don't think they ever actually did.

If I may put words into the mouths of those complaining, it appears many are drawing the conclusion that MS is behind this because of the word passed down from some developer(s) (Diablo III developer is the only one springing to mind) who talked about how Microsoft said 900p was unacceptable for their game, combined with hilarious lines from MS in the past on the topic (such as the infamous Greenberg tweet "you realize you will see every game in 1080p as your output right?), and the conclusion draws itself.

I'm not saying I agree with this specious reasoning (hell, I won't even argue that I'm correct with my assumption because I'm just guessing), but that appears to be where the accusations that MS is behind this stem from.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned

Innocent consumers that probably wouldn't notice any difference between the ps4 or xbox one version. I agree with you tho. Marketing shouldn't be shady. It should be straight to the point. I don't see much shady marketing tho. One YouTube video isn't really that bad. If it's huge on the front of the box then fine

Juanfp

Even if MS didn't say it, I do recall someone from CD Projekt saying 1080p is just not happening on X1, even with DX12 but here we are. After that, I seriously doubt CDP are the ones behind this 1080p marketing battle.

One tweet from one of the dev do not represent the whole company. The devs may know that it can't reach 1080p but the PR depart its other thing. And CDPR now is a big company, even there was a posts verified by Bish that said that they were doing things that some people couldn't find acceptable.
I will look for the post.

Chobel

Thanks for reply but I don't see anything official by ms. Of course they can be behind this, though. But saying “marketing bullshit by ms“ is too much to say, in my opinion.

I never said it's MS and I don't think it's MS, this all on CDPR.

You asked for proof of marketing bullshit, I gave one. If you're asking for proof of marketing bullshit by MS, well I don't have one and I don't think anyone has one.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I really really do not understand why CD lied to the buyers that much. yes I know, people on gaf are a minority and the next game will again sell like hot brownies. it just makes me sad :/

c0de

I never said it's MS and I don't think it's MS, this all on CDPR.

You asked for proof of marketing bullshit, I gave one. If you're asking for proof of marketing bullshit by MS, well I don't have one and I don't think anyone has one.

Sorry for not making it clear but as many were mentioning ms is to blame here I thought it was obvious what I meant ;-)

The face of most Xbone owners after reading that article...

aLG3biO.jpg

The face of most Xbone owners after reading that article...

To be honest, "most" might be stretching it just a bit.

Besides, the action still looks damn good at 900p. Though it seemed like frame rate was a bit better more often than not pre-patched, which probably means there'll be a patch to fix the patch.

Steroyd

Sorry for not making it clear but as many were mentioning ms is to blame here I thought it was obvious what I meant ;-)

I see a lot of 1080pr jokes, with the insinuation that MS was pushing for that narrative because Marketing deal.

Condom

So it's just speculation.

Haha Micro$oft!! Deceiving us and all! 1080PR etc.

Let's be real here, dynamic resolutions are not new or special. People overreacted on the news, it's no company's fault for people misunderstanding a simple concept.
Pretty sure the real life benefits are crippled by CDPR not having time to optimize the dynamic scaling. At 30FPS capped it would give more room for 1080p moments then with an unlocked framerate.

sinnergy

So did DF play enough with this with the patch? ... and maybe there is even a bug in this algorithm..

And maybe there isn't... this game was a long time in the making, so it won't have all the latest SDK updates that happened.

So it's just speculation.

Haha Micro$oft!! Deceiving us and all! 1080PR etc.

Let's be real here, dynamic resolutions are not new or special. People overreacted on the news, it's no company's fault for people misunderstanding a simple concept.
Pretty sure the real life benefits are crippled by CDPR not having time to optimize the dynamic scaling. At 30FPS capped it would give more room for 1080p moments then with an unlocked framerate.

Hey, if dynamic resolutions help more games hit solid framerates, I'm all for it.

This game really should be locked at 30.

So it's probably better to not install the patch, seeing as the 'gained' framerate just creates stutter. Not to mentiom the lowered grapgical fidelity as well as the cutscene issues.

Ashler

Ya'll are being unfair.

I'm sure that both the cloth map of the game world along with two decks for the card game Gwent present in the Xbox One collector's edition were also rendered at 1080p.

madmackem

So did DF play enough with this with the patch? ... and maybe there is even a bug in this algorithm..

And maybe there isn't... this game was a long time in the making, so it won't have all the latest SDK updates that happened.

Huh how do you work that out?.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Well, cutscenes in native 1080p are still more desirable than 900p.
It needs a frame rate cap, stat.

Who cares what resolution it is? Just play the game and have fun with it. This game is going to be a huge success regardless of what resolution the PR says it runs at.

You'll last long around here, coming into tech threads just to derail them with the "fun" argument.
Don't care? Then don't post in them, simple.

danwarb

Yep. It's persistent judder, eyeball earthquake unplayable, even though the frame rate is upwards of 30fps most of the time, it feels much less and never smooth.

Please lock it at 30.

Resolution is irellavent bollocks. The 900p is sharp enough. 1080p cutscenes makes no discernible difference here. Fix the judder, fuck the resolution.

The CG cutscenes do look incredible, though.

I noticed one instance of stuttering at the beginning of the first one, but it seemed to run fine afterwards.

/shrugs

Kayant

So what's the problem here?

Why are you in this thread if not solely to shit on the XB1 version of wild hunt?

Where has Chobel done this in this thread??

Well they certainly got their bulletpoint. I will interesting to see if any gamplay does reach 1080p in the face off later on.

Chobel

So what's the problem here?

Why are you in this thread if not solely to shit on the XB1 version of wild hunt?

Get the fuck out with your persecution complex.

This DF article proves CDPR were misleading in their dynamic 1080p talk, and that's the problem here.

Who cares what resolution it is? Just play the game and have fun with it. This game is going to be a huge success regardless of what resolution the PR says it runs at.
I can understand it to some degree, but what I don't understand is someone caring so much about it that they devote time to sitting on the internet reading analysis articles and forum threads about resolution minutiae, but then they turn around and don't care about those things enough to buy the PC version. It's like "casually obsessed" or something -- a contradiction.

THRILLH0

Banned
Get the fuck out with your persecution complex.

This DF article proves CDPR were misleading in their dynamic 1080p talk, and that's the problem here.

Nope. The engine bumps the resolution in circumstances when it can handle it. It may not be as dynamic as you or DF would like but it's not locked at 900p.

Fuck outta here indeed.

Chobel

Nope. The engine bumps the resolution in circumstances when it can handle it. It may not be as dynamic as you or DF would like but it's not locked at 900p.

Fuck outta here indeed.

It doesn't reach 1080p at all, and I'm not sure you can call it dynamic if it only does it in hand picked places.

THRILLH0

Banned
It doesn't reach 1080p at all, and I'm not sure you can call it dynamic if it only does it in hand picked places.

They never claimed that the renderer would scale on a frame by frame basis like Rage.

Look I get your point but we'll have to agree to disagree about it being misleading.

And I'm sorry for questioning your motives for posting in the thread. That was unnecessary.

Agree with this, XBO should concentrate on delivering 900p games with stable frame rates, there is nothing left to hide or twist, we all know the console constraints. As for the PS4 version I'm not sure if the 1080p is doing any good either as reports suggest it also suffer from frame rate problems.

Lol, here he is again. A Lannister always pays his debts makes the same assertion, over and over.

Fuck outta here indeed.

They never claimed that the renderer would scale on a frame by frame basis like Rage.

You have a strange interpretation of the word 'dynamic', perhaps 'placid resolution' is better?

Stampy

Haha it's amazing how quickly CDPR has tarnished their immaculate reputation with their PR bullshit.

Just to get a better grasp, they were saying the game is 1080p on xbox one? If true then really, that's as low as you can get.

valkyre

Playing the PS4 version atm and while framerate looks to be solid there is a ton of stuttering/frame pacing issues even during gameplay.

Does the XB1 version experience the same thing? I am only asking because from DF article I am not sure if frame passing and stuttering is a thing of just cutscenes and videos or it is also present during gameplay.

Amused

Even if you accept the use of the term "dynamic" in this case, how can it be acceptable to call it "dynamic 1080p" when it never ever hits 1080p during a single gameplay scenario?

Javin98

Banned
Playing the PS4 version atm and while framerate looks to be solid there is a ton of stuttering/frame pacing issues even during gameplay.

Does the XB1 version experience the same thing? I am only asking because from DF article I am not sure if frame passing and stuttering is a thing of just cutscenes and videos or it is also present during gameplay.
Solid frame rate but tons of stuttering in gameplay? Now why does that sound so bloody familiar? ;)

valkyre

Solid frame rate but tons of stuttering in gameplay? Now why does that sound so bloody familiar? ;)

I gather it is the same for XB1 then during gameplay as well. Seriously they need to address this. It really hurts the presentation of this game... and I dont understand why. Should there be a specific thread for this issue that perhaps gathers the necessary attention in order for CDP to take corrective action?

valkyre

The juddering/frame pacing problems sound awful...are they as bad/noticeable on PS4 as that's where I'm getting this...

Yeah... they are. Dont know if it is "as bad" or "even worse" but its just BAD.

I personally vote for a specific thread for this performance issue. We need to have this fixed.

Nizz

Just watched the video and in the patched version I swear I never saw the game dip below 30fps. Actually looked pretty good to me. But I understand some people don't like the uncapped framerate and would rather they lock it at 30.

Honestly I just hope that the devs are able to optimize the game further and get it locked at 30. I don't usually play RPG games but this one looks interesting. Only have a PS4 so I'm hoping that version's framerate problems (whatever they are) are dealt with soon.

Going to wait on this one a bit. I want to get it since I'll be having a couple of days off and it would give me a chance to dig into the game but I want to wait till it's patched a couple of times if need be.

Top Bottom