• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #305/May - Rime (Also Persona 5 review)

Hoo-doo

Banned
I feel there's a lot more people itching to prey on fans who are outraged at a certain score, than the number of people who actually think it is a bad score.

But that seems to be a trend these days. Everyone is secretly longing for another Uncharted 3 mama robotnik wall of shame.

I'm interested in reading the Wildlands review. That's a harsh verdict.

Zafir

I feel there's a lot more people itching to prey on fans who are outraged at a certain score, than the number of people who actually think it is a bad score.

But that seems to be a trend these days. Everyone is secretly longing for another Uncharted 3 mama robotnik wall of shame.

Nah.

I don't really agree, not after all the moaning about a certain lower BotW score, or the fact the Nier Automata thread got shut because of one review.

Tunoku

It is, not reaching a 95 means it will yet again not get the attention it deserves and stay in its niche, even though it's most likely one of the best games of this whole generation.

If video game sales depended solely on metacritic, this industry would be fucking weird.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
The changes to dungeons from Persona 4 to 5 may have already been seen in Tokyo Mirage Sessions. While there is a change in pace to the dungeons because of stealth and dialogue in battle, its strength remains in the social simulator and side activities.

"A creeping subtext about the importance of a stable family life [...] is less succesful, making a stuffily old-fashioned point about the nuclear family that seems at odds with the game's attempt to celebrate rather than demean."

Well frankly I disagree with just about all of this. TMS's dungeons have nothing on P5's, and they are absolutely worth being called one of the game's strengths and not treating as a second fiddle to the social sim elements. In the case of P4, the dungeons drag the game's quality down significantly, whereas here they only elevate it. For them to give P4G a 9 when it makes the same mistakes as P3 and P4, but to give P5 an 8 when it improves upon them and far more is frustrating, assuming they're the same reviewer.

The comment they make about the importance of a stable family life particularly irks me; the game handles this area very delicately, and the implication that a stable family life is a better environment for a child (especially in Japan) is hardly an unreasonable commentary, and thematically it could not fit the game better. I'll wait for the full review to be posted online to pass judgement, but I'm not agreeing with what I'm hearing here at all.

Blobbers

Every time I want to get irrationally mad at someone else's subjective opinion on a game, I remember that my favorite game of by far my favorite gen has an 82 on MC.

VoIrhoe.jpg

spock

I love Edge, but 4/10 for Wildlands is a fucking joke imo. It's excellent fun and genuinely filling in a gap for me not filled by Zelda or Horizon, which are phenomenal games.

Interested to read the review.

I thought wild lands was janky asf in beta but I would still rate it higher than a 4, jeez. Lol.

Tunoku

Maybe they just didn't like it that much? 8 is still a good score

They gave 4 a 9 and 3 a 7. In the end, it doesn't matter either way. The people who like Persona are gonna buy Persona. And most of the sales they make beyond that are word of mouth or someone on a YT channel/podcast banging the drum for it. Good reviews sure are nice, and this is a GREAT review for the game.

But as someone else said above, there are more people eagerly awaiting unreasonable fans freaking out over nothing than unreasonable fans freaking out over nothing.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
ITT: People in this thread not realizing that For Honor is a mechanically legit-good game.

Can't wait for Persona 5 baybee.

Zafir

That Nier score is also very upsetting, mind you.

They gave Nier Automata 4 pages for the review, which is usually left for more prominent titles. So they did give it quite a bit of attention, even if some may think the review score doesn't reflect that.

Every time I want to get irrationally mad at someone else's subjective opinion on a game, I remember that my favorite game of by far my favorite gen has an 82 on MC.

VoIrhoe.jpg

Amen, people will never learn though. The Wonderful 101 is my favourite Wii U game and one of the best games I've ever played full stop, and yet sits at a 78 on Metacritic. Ultimately, it doesn't mean a whole lot.

Arkeband

Banned
I'd be interested in knowing what they had issues with in Nier - the game is basically perfect from a design standpoint, though I can see opportunities for improvement on the frequent bullet hell segments that are totally broken with the right health chips.

I mean honestly, people that get angry or upset over someone's subjective score on a game need to grow up. Like it's not a big deal, at all but some people get so hysteric about it.

Charamiwa

Banned
I would love to hear the thoughts of people who complain about the Persona score about this creepy nuclear family message that the Edge review point out.

The comment they make about the importance of a stable family life particularly irks me; the game handles this area very delicately, and the implication that a stable family life is a better environment for a child (especially in Japan) is hardly an unreasonable commentary, and thematically it could not fit the game better. I'll wait for the full review to be posted online to pass judgement, but I'm not agreeing with what I'm hearing here at all.
I think the game has some specific digs at the flaws in Japanese culture (overworking for one) so it seems like it could have fallen flat.

edit. Not sure whether Edge is speaking at a Western audience also.

timberger

Ghost Recon kicked to the curb harsh style. Damn.

Got it in one. Too many posters like that on this forum for my liking at least, especially when you consider that some of them were also among the many salty fanboys shitting on Jim Sterling for his Zelda review.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
can we please stop this whining about the whining about the whining?

Zafir

I'd be interested in knowing what they had issues with in Nier - the game is basically perfect from a design standpoint, though I can see opportunities for improvement on the frequent bullet hell segments that are totally broken with the right health chips.

Since I'm only in my second play-through, I'm not reading the "Post Script" part of the review out of fear of spoilers(it warns of spoilers and discusses the post-game, so I assume it discusses the other routes/endings). There might be more complaints discussed in that.

However, from the bulk of the review it seems most of their problems are with the world. One reason being it's a bit of a chore to navigate due to backtracking and other such reasons. Even with fast-travel they cite issues such as the checkpoints being taken out of commission by the robots due to story reasons. They also complain about bits of the world being ugly some of which they concede is a design decision, but not all.

HawaiianDreads

Neo Member
While I haven't play P5 yet I would have thought it would have gotten a higher score especially from the previews I been hearing. Having played NieR it's a shame that didn't get a 9, only because that game is truly amazing. While I would have like for both of them to get a 9 or higher, 8/10 is nowhere as bad as some people are making it out to be.

Honestly I think ghost recon got a unfair score I mean I know there are some issues with the game but nowhere near a 4/10 type of issues. Edge is freaking brutal.

I would love to hear the thoughts of people who complain about the Persona score about this creepy nuclear family message that the Edge review point out.

I don't remember anything about this in the game at all. If it was in there then it must have been super subtle cuz I didn't partiuclarly pick up on that.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
I think the game has some specific digs at the flaws in Japanese culture (overworking for one) so it seems like it could have fallen flat.

edit. Not sure whether Edge is speaking at a Western audience also.

It absolutely does dig at problems with Japanese culture, but their comment implies that by doing this it's somehow at odds with the rest of the game's themes, when it really isn't. One of the biggest focuses with the game is the current state that Japan is in, and how the younger generation tends to be affected by it - obviously family life is an issue there, and the game has quite a lot to say about that. It doesn't imply that nuclear families are always better than single parent ones, (
heck, there's a couple of plot arcs in the game about perfectly healthy families with single parents
) but it also doesn't ignore that Japan has a serious problem with how orphans and single parents are treated, and it feels like the reviewer was reading this as the game opposing these altogether.

kswiston

Edge often seems to be on the lower side with JRPGs. 8 is a great score. I'm not necessarily expecting another Persona 4, but I dont want a FF13 either.

Sometimes on this forum all you have to say is "I'm upset" or "I don't like such and such" and then all of a sudden people will be rushing to tell you stop being such a baby or stop crying. Meanwhile they are unable to gauge how upset you are from such a dry statement. You may have forgotten about what you said you were upset about the next second never to think on it again but the response you get, one would think that what was communicated was that you were at the pinnacle of life changing rage.

I want to be irritated by an 8/10, but I know there's going to be some outrageous Persona 5 scores, so I'll save my energy.

Speaking of saving, if it gets below 90 on Meta, I'll get to save some money from a bet I made lol.

dan2026

Are people really claiming 8/10 isn't a good score now?

Soon there will be only two scores.

10/10 and Worthless Dogshit.

Asd202

I want to be irritated by an 8/10, but I know there's going to be some outrageous Persona 5 scores, so I'll save my energy.

Speaking of saving, if it gets below 90 on Meta. I'll get to save some money from a bet I made lol.

Yeah I also think it will go below 90 Meta.

Are people really claiming 8/10 isn't a good score now?

Soon there will be only two scores.

10/10 and Worthless Dogshit.

1-8 - Worthless Dogshit
9 - Okay
10- Good

Top Bottom