• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGX 2015: VR Year!!

Stuart444

Fuck me it's slower getting to Birmingham than London! 😦

For me, it's not too much different considering I'm coming from Scotland :p. 5ish hour train trip.

Looking forward to it mostly, not been to Birmingham before so it will feel a little fresh. Plus staying in the Premier Inn which has got to be better than the Hostel in London.

Astrates

For me, it's not too much different considering I'm coming from Scotland :p. 5ish hour train trip.

Looking forward to it mostly, not been to Birmingham before so it will feel a little fresh. Plus staying in the Premier Inn which has got to be better than the Hostel in London.

I couldn't even begin to afford the prices for the nearby Premier Inn sadly.

Stuart444

For me and my partner, it cost us £269 for 3 nights. Comparable to the Youth Hostel in Earl's Court that we used.

We just have to figure out how to get there from the nearby Birmingham station haha.

Astrates

For me and my partner, it cost us £269 for 3 nights. Comparable to the Youth Hostel in Earl's Court that we used.

We just have to figure out how to get there from the nearby Birmingham station haha.

That's not bad. Looking for the times we were there it was close to £450.

Pretty sure it's very close to Birmingham International station as it appears to be on a plaza with the NEC. Could be wrong though.

I can't quite figure out what's going to be playable and what isn't. Obviously the games on the site in the show floor section will be as it says that, but what about the games in the Rezzed Zone? Are those only going to be shown? The site just says "Many of these titles will be demoed by their developers".

Mikeside

I can't quite figure out what's going to be playable and what isn't. Obviously the games on the site in the show floor section will be as it says that, but what about the games in the Rezzed Zone? Are those only going to be shown? The site just says "Many of these titles will be demoed by their developers".

they'll all be playable. they just mean that the devs will be there presenting a lot of the rezzed games, whereas the AAA games just have people hired by the publisher a lot of the time

Shin-chan

Maybe a stupid question but I swear I read somewhere that FromSoft/Dark Souls 3 would be there but they're not on the website. I guess that means it's not?

Stuart444

We'll be there Saturday and Sunday. Feels weird not being there on Thursday/Friday this year.

I'm not too down though, originally I regretted not going for longer but seeing the line up this year, I think the weekend will be just fine. (outside of them being the busiest days of course lol)

JoshHood

Has everyone that is expecting one got their Vive confirmation yet?

I'm still waiting sadly.
Nothing here either, and I'm there tomorrow. Great work everyone involved there.

For future reference (if it's in Birmingham again), I'm at the Travelodge next to the Bullring in town (around £3 train ticket from the NEC), and it only worked out as £111 for the three nights.

Astrates

Nothing here either, and I'm there tomorrow. Great work everyone involved there.

Just got the below from HTC.

Thanks for your interest in our HTC Vive experience. Unfortunately on this occasion you were not successful in winning a slot at EGX 2015.

There will be a very limited number of demo's available to book at EGX. Please come and visit us at the HTC Vive stand to find out more.

The HTC Vive Team

#HTCViveLive
@htcvive

Paganmoon

There will be a very limited number of demo's available to book at EGX. Please come and visit us at the HTC Vive stand to find out more.

This part of the email is just... huh?

"you didn't get a chance to test Vive, so come to the stand, and watch the lucky ones try it, and you'll see how exclusive it is".

I'm not following the logic of it.

Stuart444

This part of the email is just... huh?

"you didn't get a chance to test Vive, so come to the stand, and watch the lucky ones try it, and you'll see how exclusive it is".

I'm not following the logic of it.

It almost feels like they are rubbing it in the faces of those who won't get a chance to try it out.

Synth

Just got the below from HTC.

Thanks for your interest in our HTC Vive experience. Unfortunately on this occasion you were not successful in winning a slot at EGX 2015.

The HTC Vive Team

#HTCViveLive
@htcvive

Yup, just got this too. Fuck it I'm out. Not bothered going. Anyone want a free Sunday ticket?

Volotaire

I received the HTC Vive email too. A shame, but I'm not going to let it ruin the day! There will be plenty of VR headsets to try by indie developers.

That's not bad. Looking for the times we were there it was close to £450.

Pretty sure it's very close to Birmingham International station as it appears to be on a plaza with the NEC. Could be wrong though.

The Birmingham International station has an exit directly leading towards EGX (NEC).

Stuart444

The Birmingham International station has an exit directly leading towards EGX (NEC).

Yeah but I need to find my way to the nearby Premier Inn from there haha. Might head past the NEC though so I know what the place looks like for Sat.

Really is looking like a poor and unorganized year but I'm just looking forward to getting away from home for a weekend haha.

What do you mean by that?

I'm hoping to get to try some sort of VR, it'll be the first chance i've had to use one.

If it's like last year, there will be a few Indie devs with Oculus Rifts around.

edit: What food places are nearby/easy to walk to from either the Premier Inn NEC/Airport or from the NEC itself? Couldn't be bothered with hotel dinner so I'm looking at what our options are.

XaosWolf

Didn't even know this thread existed!

I've got a superpass so looking forward to racing people to the front of queues each morning. =D

Oh, and if you see some guy with a PacMan bag sitting on a stool in a queue, that'll be me.

This the proper EGX thread, yeah?

So many games to play. Just now bought my Virgin Train ticket lol. That's the real cost, getting to Birmingham from London.

AHA-Lambda

This year is off to a great start!

Yeah, not happy with so much of this organisation. I'm not there until Saturday but I have a bad feeling about this.
Curious to hear people's impressions here.

Christ, they couldn't get a full slate of Dev sessions!
I just hope they got enough stands for games!!

Edit: got the same for Vive. Christ, who did get in then?!

I have PSVR so I should be grateful but I wanted Vive more, besides this should never have been organised this way. Total cluster fuck.

XaosWolf

And I'm off! Morning traffic from Reading to Birmingham. =D

Good thing I didn't have my heat set on the VR stuff this year it seems.

Doesn't really help either of them get the VR word of mouth out though.

Stuart444

This is shite so far, no where to eat!

Near the place? Bleh. Was afraid of that when I was searching for food places nearby.

Oh the Virgin trains thing above, I bought mines not long after I bought my EGX tickets using the NEC event discount thing they were doing. If not for that, I might not have gone at all.

Tickets have been sitting on my bookshelf for months lol.

On the bright side, it's only 4 hours to get to Birmingham compared with 5 hours to London.

I'll come check it out :)

I'll be there Saturday and Sunday as usual. Hope to get info the Dev Session with Shu but i expect it will be really full. Also would love to play Morpheus

Thanks!! Yeah so if anyone wants to play De Mambo, please come on down to the rezzed zone!

Stuart444

Thanks!! Yeah so if anyone wants to play De Mambo, please come on down to the rezzed zone!

I'll keep it in mind. One of the fun things I found last year was just trying random indie games I've never heard of. Ended up liking quite a few of them.

I'll keep your game in mind on Sat/Sun :)

I'll probably arrive there by like 12 or 1pm cause went to Eid prayer and all that. Good thing I also did a sunday ticket with my friend so we'll have more time for the rest of the games that I won't get to play today.

The EGX app is pretty rad, helps me sort out which games I need to check out. Thumper, Memory of a Broken Dimension, Megaton Rainfall, Eitr, Twin Souls, Just Cause 3, Mirror's Edge Catalyst OMG!

Almost a blessing in disguise that the dev sessions are very sparse, means more time to play!

boswell22

Ummm......

So I have managed to be both lucky and unlucky. My girlfriend and I managed to both get in to the HTC Vive demo at 10:30 and 10:45 on Sunday. However our tickets only allow us entry at 11. I have emailed EGX on the off chance I can get in early (unlikely).

If not I imagine I can send someone from here my confirmation email and just pretend to be me??

Astrates

Ummm......

So I have managed to be both lucky and unlucky. My girlfriend and I managed to both get in to the HTC Vive demo at 10:30 and 10:45 on Sunday. However our tickets only allow us entry at 11. I have emailed EGX on the off chance I can get in early (unlikely).

If not I imagine I can send someone from here my confirmation email and just pretend to be me??

Sadly they ID to get in.

Spookie

If you want a vive slot you need to RUN to the booth. I made it there and got one of the 20 slots. The queue closed behind me!

Top Bottom