• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4: Far Harbor IOTI Point Lookout 2: Synthetic Boogaloo

Console folks, its really disappointing to hear about the fps problem

I hope Bethesda gets on it asap, I want you guys to have fun properly

dzelly

Between 15 and 20 fps on my PS4 on the island itself because of the fog (which is basically everywhere)

So back to another game untill they fix it (in a month or so I presume...)

Bethesda; "Well it has a lousy fps, let's release it anyway"

My advice don't buy it now untill it's fixed for the PS4

How are you measuring frame rate on PS4? Sounds pretty bad, btw. I have another Bethesda game to play atm, but I will download this and have it ready to roll when I'm done with DOOM. Hopefully they sort it out quickly.

MattyG

Banned
RIP all of us I guess

Maybe a patch will remove the fog ��
There's 0 chance of that happening,
unless they wanted to completely rewrite the story too. It isn't just a visual thing.
(Very minor spoiler, and not even really a spoiler. More of an implication.)

aravuus

Not running any mods that would cause that either, I don't know how it happens. I even have god rays on medium. This game is just badly optimized.

It's not that badly optimized, though. Sounds like something might be wrong with your PC.

I actually had a ton of framerate problems on a 970 during F4's launch, but that was due to a bitcoin mining malware on my PC that seemingly only launched every time I tried to play F4 specifically. Took me a bit to get rid of it.

It's not that badly optimized, though. Sounds like something might be wrong with your PC.

I actually had a ton of framerate problems on a 970 during F4's launch, but that was due to a bitcoin mining malware on my PC that seemingly only launched every time I tried to play F4 specifically. Took me a bit to get rid of it.

I only get this problem in the city, everywhere else is a steady 60 fps, Overwatch is always 70 and Witcher 3 is also a solid 60. I don't see how it could be my computer.

Chiggs

Gold Member
So far, my impressions are pretty positive. Creepy atmosphere and better voice acting.

No real performance problems, but I'm on an i7 4790k with 32GB DDR3 and a 390x. Running at 1440p.

MattyG

Banned
I'm going to bed, but after 2 hours of play these are my impressions:

-Atmosphere is awesome. The introduction to The Island is really well done and sets a nice tone.
-I love
Acadia.
There's lots of mystery surrounding everything going on and I spent about 30 minutes there on my first visit just snooping around.
-From the few main quests I've done so far, it seems that the variety of objectives, choices on how to accomplish those objectives, and overall writing have improved. It still suffers from the dialogue system, but it feels like the writing still works better than the main game in spite of it.
-The map seems MASSIVE. In my 2 hours I've only explored the northeast corner of The Island, and there's still huge blank spots all over it that I missed.
-All the Maine elements are really doing it for me. I live in Maine, so all these little references and just the overall aesthetic and feel of the DLC are awesome to see (e.g. Vim=Moxie, the Mirelurk in the giant boiling pot, the look of Far Harbor itself).

So far, I'm in love with it. Honestly, I think it got its hooks into me quicker and harder than the main game did, and I hope it keeps it up. This has the potential to be my favorite DLC ever, I think, assuming it doesn't take a nosedive at some point along the way.

The Flash

Banned

-Atmosphere is awesome. The introduction to The Island is really well done and sets a nice tone.
-I love
Acadia.
There's lots of mystery surrounding everything going on and I spent about 30 minutes there on my first visit just snooping around.
-From the few main quests I've done so far, it seems that the variety of objectives, choices on how to accomplish those objectives, and overall writing have improved. It still suffers from the dialogue system, but it feels like the writing still works better than the main game in spite of it.
-The map seems MASSIVE. In my 2 hours I've only explored the northeast corner of The Island, and there's still huge blank spots all over it that I missed.
-All the Maine elements are really doing it for me. I live in Maine, so all these little references and just the overall aesthetic and feel of the DLC are awesome to see (e.g. Vim=Moxie, the Mirelurk in the giant boiling pot, the look of Far Harbor itself).

So far, I'm in love with it. Honestly, I think it got its hooks into me quicker and harder than the main game did, and I hope it keeps it up. This has the potential to be my favorite DLC ever, I think, assuming it doesn't take a nosedive at some point along the way.

9043632.gif

Lakitu

st5fu
Yeah, I've been reading some stuff the past couple of weeks that seem to indicdate the DLC's structure and design is better than the main game.

I completed the quest needed for it (level 78) but it won't trigger. PS4 here.

EDIT: Never mind. Apparently, my PS4 decided not to download Far Harbor when I told it to via browser.

leng jai

Did they ever fix the PC port? I just loaded it up and it still runs like garbage on my 970. I was hoping they would fix it over time like what happened with Skyrim.

Morokh

Glad to see that the content itself seems to be good, because when you look at weapons/armors, perks and settlement items it didn't look very promising.

-I love
Acadia.

I wonder if Bethesda intentionally puts less energy into their base game and waits for DLC to improve on the foundation they've built. I mean, this isn't the first time their story DLCs are improvements over the main game.

carlsojo

Just got Fallout 4 on PC after finishing most of it on PS4. I know that you can go there at any level but is my level 10 noob on Survival going to get her shit wrecked if I go there?

I wonder if Bethesda intentionally puts less energy into their base game and waits for DLC to improve on the foundation they've built. I mean, this isn't the first time their story DLCs are improvements over the main game.

This is a joke, right?

The Flash

Banned

I think it's more of a situation where the team has the time and energy to work on something smaller with greater detail and not have to worry about meeting the holiday deadlines. Dark Souls II's DLC is considered a lot more focused than the main game as well and it's probably due to similar reasons.

This is a joke, right?

I'm not saying they are lazy, but they definitely put more creative effort into their DLCs

I think it's more of a situation where the team has the time and energy to work on something smaller with greater detail and not have to worry about meeting the holiday deadlines. Dark Souls II's DLC is considered a lot more focused than the main game as well and it's probably due to similar reasons.

Maybe Bethesda should try a smaller scaled game. It would be interesting to see the results.

Valkrai

Played about almost 2 hours already and goddamn, this is better than the main game by miles. Love the atmosphere of the island and how big it is. It's really dense and dark though they go way overboard with fog at points (hurts fps because of it).

Harpoon Gun is amazing, destroys a ton of enemies and makes me use VATS a lot more than I did before because of it. Also the dialogue is better than the main game, especially love the sarcastic dialogue options.

is there a way to link settlements from the commonwealth to the island? I don't wanna keep fast traveling back and forth to mod stuff

edit: is the
harpoon gun
considered a heavy weapon?

Playing on Xbox One and haven't noticed any particular frame drops in the middle of heavy fog areas. Really smooth actually and the effects are pretty impressive. Digging it so far.

The Flash

Banned
Playing on Xbox One and haven't noticed any particular frame drops in the middle of heavy fog areas. Really smooth actually and the effects are pretty impressive. Digging it so far.

Yeah I'm just now getting into the Fog as well and I'm not experiencing anything major either.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Played a couple of hours and I definitely feel this is worth the money. The content seems extensive, the atmosphere is great and it just feels really well done so far. New monsters are cool, and the main quest line seems to be full of intrigue and mystery.

Seems like we've got another Shivering Isles on our hands. :)

looks like they added more perks, strong back and scrapper both got extra ranks among others

yeah I need to take a break on PS4, gonna wait for an official statement on the framerate I think before playing more. This shit makes downtown Boston look smooth

Fog/steam/smoke caused the base game to run like shit on ps4 so I'm really glad they decided to base an entire DLC around fog.

I'm still having a ton of fun

Fog/steam/smoke caused the base game to run like shit on ps4 so I'm really glad they decided to base an entire DLC around fog.

I'm still having a ton of fun

I'm having fun too but it's frustrating that they'd release it in a state where it runs worse than 3 and NV on last gen consoles. I'm hoping for something to fix it but who knows. I'm assuming the main quest clears some of it up so maybe I'll do that and the sidequests last.

Shit I forgot to start the download this morning. Now I'm gonna try to prepare my drunk ass to be able to start the download tomorrow morning without breaking my PS4. Wish me luck.

Yeah I'm just now getting into the Fog as well and I'm not experiencing anything major either.

This is good to know, since I will be playing the Xbox One version. So this time around it's PS4 suffering from these issues? I hope they fix that soon for the people.

Top Bottom