• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Justice League (F2P Fantasy Football) 2014 |OT| Now with tiers! Still with tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

I'm not sure what you mean by "thought we'd move," but I got the rest of it. Thank you for the feedback.

Does anybody else (GJL2) have thoughts on "holding" an autodrafted team for OJdaKiller?

)

Missed a word. was supposed to say 'thought we'd move on'. lol

DarkFlow

Banned
I'm not sure what you mean by "thought we'd move," but I got the rest of it. Thank you for the feedback.

Does anybody else (GJL2) have thoughts on "holding" an autodrafted team for OJdaKiller?

I think we should keep snake this year, and acquaint ourselves with auction to decide if we want it next year. Unfortunately I haven't heard anybody else demanding auction (if you're there, speak up). The GJL is supposed to be pretty accessible, so I don't want to throw any big changes in suddenly.

Edit: It also looks like we could possibly have room for 1 or 2 more players. If you don't fit you'll have first dibs on next year (see OJdaKiller)
Lol its not that big a change.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/roto-...ction-vs-draft-debate-000342966--fantasy.html

Auctions are more fair (and more fair is more fun): In your piddly snake draft world, forget about Trout or Miggy if you draw the No. 13 pick. No Kershaw in your world. No Goldschmidt. What's fun about knowing you're locked out of the best players in the game simply because the lottery didn't fall your way?

In the auction, anyone can have Mike Trout, or Miguel Cabrera, or heck, both. Whatever the market will bear. This is a beautiful thing, something to celebrate, something to gravitate towards.

Studies have proven draft slots are not created equal in fantasy sports - some positions produce more champions than others (and if you stubbornly disagree with this, please allow me to pick my own draft slot in every old school league you drag me into). You throw that garbage out the window when you accept an auction. Get out the gavel and let the free market decide things.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
auction requires a lot more prep than a snake draft does, tbh, and it takes like 1.5 times as long to do.

This is what I don't like. GJL is a casual-serious league. If everybody wanted to do it, fine, but without more voices I can't justify changing it.

Missed a word. was supposed to say 'thought we'd move on'. lol

Ahh I see. I don't know, maybe he doesn't think to check GAF while he's banned? I know on mobile, when you're banned, it's not clear that you can log out and still view the website. Maybe it's something like that. I dunno.

DarkFlow

Banned
We did snake last year, seems fair to do auction this year. :p I will drag you guys into the glory that is auction if it's the last thing I do. I know change is scary, but it's worth it. It's not really super fun when you're at the end if the draft order because the top tier players are already snatched up.

We did snake last year, seems fair to do auction this year. :p I will drag you guys into the glory that is auction if it's the last thing I do. I know change is scary, but it's worth it. It's not really super fun when you're at the end if the draft order because the top tier players are already snatched up.

I tried a few mock auction drafts, and I'm firmly on the auction draft bandwagon. Holy shit, snake seems so basic in comparison. It definitely takes more time and practice to get down though. I started with having a bench full of people I've barely heard of, since I blew too much, and ended with a few decent strategies regarding budgeting.

Saw some EXTREMELY crazy strategies tho. One guy blew $172 on McCoy/Forte/Peterson (I barely beat him out for Charles). Dude had $28 to spend on 13 damn positions. He had a surprisingly good team, though... His WR situation was DIRE (Bowe was his WR1), but had Romo/Cutler as QB's for a combined $2, Cameron for like $6, and the Chiefs D and Prater for $2. Doubt that would hold up in our (or any) league with people that stay thru the whole draft tho, but still.

Still, I don't think it's fair to change it this close to the draft to auction. A little over a week to learn a completely different draft type isn't fair. I'm definitely down for trying it next year though, since we're trying new things

I'd rather have a 10-12 pick most years than a 1-3 pick tbh

Honestly, I much rather prefer snake over auction, but that's because it's the only draft type I'm familiar with. Change sucks but if auction is the route we go, I won't complain. Don't knock it till you try it, right?

Arkos

I tried a few mock auction drafts, and I'm firmly on the auction draft bandwagon. Holy shit, snake seems so basic in comparison. It definitely takes more time and practice to get down though. I started with having a bench full of people I've barely heard of, since I blew too much, and ended with a few decent strategies regarding budgeting.

Saw some EXTREMELY crazy strategies tho. One guy blew $172 on McCoy/Forte/Peterson (I barely beat him out for Charles). Dude had $28 to spend on 13 damn positions. He had a surprisingly good team, though... His WR situation was DIRE (Bowe was his WR1), but had Romo/Cutler as QB's for a combined $2, Cameron for like $6, and the Chiefs D and Prater for $2. Doubt that would hold up in our (or any) league with people that stay thru the whole draft tho, but still.

Still, I don't think it's fair to change it this close to the draft to auction. A little over a week to learn a completely different draft type isn't fair. I'm definitely down for trying it next year though, since we're trying new things

I think this is the key. It sounds intriguing, might be the best thing going forward, but I don't think we should change it for this year. Use the time to extol the virtues of auction drafting. It does seem to be getting more popular, I heard a fantasy draft discussion on the radio that was speaking in auction terms for the first time the other day and I was all
post-29155-Blink-182-WHAT-THE-FUCK-gif-Im-YEwO.gif

but it did sound pretty interesting and strategic. Everybody, go do a mock auction draft to see what all the fuss is about. If people end up liking it we can try it out (next year :p)

Edit: still need a couple of new players and/or Vyer's friend to join lol. And if OJ is reading this email me arkoslaww@yahoo.com

auctions are fun, just annoying because they take sooooooooo long. I try to never do more than one auction league a year. Mocking them is difficult...basically the only way to practice is to get either extremely lucky in a public mock or by actually practicing on an actual league.

Rudakus

I've played in a few auction leagues and they are a lot of fun. It makes it so you have a legitimate shot at every player you want.

May have to open up another league for those that wanna try it. I'm down for the auction, but with no one else really responding I doubt it'll take off this year

Arkos

Whooooo! It is a good day people. It is a good day.

Vyer's friend has joined. OJdaKiller finally read the thread and emailed me, so he will join soon. That technically fills out the league.

I am waiting for 1) ErasureAcer to accept his invite to GJLP, 2) OJdaKiller and Sangreal to accept their invites to GJL2, and 3) Rudakus to accept his invite to GJL3 (all of these new invites are due to people being bumped up in the league, because rCIZZLE got booted from GJLP)

Then we can get down to football. We're almost there, people. Almost there.

I have no preference for what kind of draft we choose. As for any people who still want in, is it possible to increase the size of the leagues?

Arkos

Fine, we can do snake. But next year we do auction and no crying about it.

Sounds good to me. Convince the masses though

I have no preference for what kind of draft we choose. As for any people who still want in, is it possible to increase the size of the leagues?

No, 36 teams is quite enough :p but there may still be room, and there's almost certainly going to be room next year, so feel free to put a name in. I was going to save a spot for OJ because he spoke up last year, so I knew he was legit

DarkFlow

Banned
Sounds good to me. Convince the masses though

No, 36 teams is quite enough :p but there may still be room, and there's almost certainly going to be room next year, so feel free to put a name in. I was going to save a spot for OJ because he spoke up last year, so I knew he was legit
The only way to convince them is to force them really lol, it looks scary to people that have only done snake. We can even just make a auction league next year. Honestly if we do snake again next year I'm out.

Arkos

The only way to convince them us to force them really lol, it looks scary to people that have only done snake. We can even just make a auction league next year. Honestly if we snake again next year I'm out.

Force is cool with me, but they still need time (hell I would need time I don't have to figure out how to be successful in an auction draft). And just bear with us: this has always been a league about simplicity and inclusiveness, we'll get around to auction drafting, people just need to hear about it. Don't leave us :(

DarkFlow

Banned
Force is cool with me, but they still need time (hell I would need time I don't have to figure out how to be successful in an auction draft). And just bear with us: this has always been a league about simplicity and inclusiveness, we'll get around to auction drafting, people just need to hear about it. Don't leave us :(
Lol you have a year to get ready now! Should be good to go by then. Really everyone just try the mock auction draft, that's all you need to do. Think of it as Ebay and your set.

I'm down with 100% auction next year. Can't hate it until you try it, and if you can't read a few articles and practice it by this time next year, there's no helping you :jnc

Edit: and Erasure, your GJLP invite has been sent. I'll go ahead and determine everyone's draft order too

Arkos

I would be happy for GL3 to vote on what type of auction they want to have.

If any league wants to vote on it that's fine, but I doubt you'll get the response you want (I hardly get half of the people to respond when it's about something like playoff settings lol). And in the case of absent voters I have to count them as a "no"

DarkFlow

Banned
If any league wants to vote on it that's fine, but I doubt you'll get the response you want (I hardly get half of the people to respond when it's about something like playoff settings lol)
Then they don't get a vote. We count who responded.

I made a post in the league board, I'll see if anyone sees it.

Arkos

Lol but if we did that we might have auction in GJL2 because you're the only one who responded. If people don't feel strongly enough to vote I don't feel good imposing anything (maybe year to year-- I think this is where the auction discussion belongs)

DarkFlow

Banned
Lol but if we did that we might have auction in GJL2 because you're the only one who responded. If people don't feel strongly enough to vote I don't feel good imposing anything (maybe year to year-- I think this is where the auction discussion belongs)
Lol I wouldn't go that far, I'm not evil.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

I made a post in the league board, I'll see if anyone sees it.

I don't think that is the right approach. You might be completely blindsiding the person who didn't vote when s/he shows up to the draft. Might lead to them dropping out.

I don't think that is the right approach. You might be completely blindsiding the person who didn't vote when s/he shows up to the draft. Might lead to them dropping out.

They have to report to the thread to check in next year. We'll just have them choose before adding them to the league

I'm good with doing snake this year on the stipulation that everyone is aware that we'd move to auction drafts for next year before this season starts so those who might not be into the idea can be replaced by someone who would be back next year.

Done. When do I get my draft number?

Just put everyone's info in a randomizer. Here is everyone's draft order in GJLP:

1. Putin Karate Chop (12-3) [SleazyC]
2. Chip United (12-3) [Notrollious] O
3. beats by ray (9-7) [youngplaya21] O
4. Corporate Peezy LLC (8-8) [Future Foundation]
5. Straw Hat Pirates (11-4) [Jayhawk]
6. Bonethug's Skullcrackers (11-5) [Bonethug]
7. First Name Russell... (12-4) [iAmMaximus]
8. rob's legit team (11-5) [Omega Rex] G
9. 50 shades of forte (9-6) [lastflowers]
10. FrankGoreWaifuPillow (10-6) [Rawr its Ry]
11. Ayahuasca Shamans (9-7) [ErasureAcer]
12. Mo Honey Mo Problems (7-8) [Teptom]

I just copied and pasted the OP, entered in Random.org, and these are the results

Bonethug

Just put everyone's info in a randomizer. Here is everyone's draft order in GJLP:

I just copied and pasted the OP, entered in Random.org, and these are the results

Bleh, middle. There is no fun to be had in the middle.

Awesome. Thanks for the quick action. 11. Not bad. Like the close picks.

If only there was a way to fix that...

:jnc

And I'm not a big fan of #3... I essentially miss all of the good WR's, and I will likely miss the only RB i deem worth the high pick (shouldn't be too hard to figure out who that is for me). I've been mock drafting around pick 9 for a week or so now, so it's time to change my strategy lol

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Using the site Young posted above, here is the draft order for GL3:

1. Doof United[darkiguana]
  2. Team Dutti [Dabushman]
  3. TexFan's Team [Vyer's friend]
  4. kelika beasts [kelik]
  5. [Rudakus]
  6. ShinRPGamer F.C. [ShinRPGamer]
  7. Matt's Team [CouldBeWorse]
  8. ccb fan Team of ??? (kin) [ccbfan]
  9. Aldon's Airlines [thebigmanjosh]
  10. Password is Taco [GK86] O
  11. Blahoholics [cr_blah_blah]
  12. Toronto Maple Leafs [Samyy]

Using the site Young posted above, here is the draft order for GL3:

1. Doof United[darkiguana]
  2. Team Dutti [Dabushman]
  3. TexFan's Team [Vyer's friend]
  4. kelika beasts [kelik]
  5. [Rudakus]
  6. ShinRPGamer F.C. [ShinRPGamer]
  7. Matt's Team [CouldBeWorse]
  8. ccb fan Team of ??? (kin) [ccbfan]
  9. Aldon's Airlines [thebigmanjosh]
  10. Password is Taco [GK86] O
  11. Blahoholics [cr_blah_blah]
  12. Toronto Maple Leafs [Samyy]

6th huh... I think I can make that work. Also I need a refresher what's the difference between an action draft and the snake format?

6th huh... I think I can make that work. Also I need a refresher what's the difference between an action draft and the snake format?

Snake is the usual kind of draft. 1st picks a person, then 2nd, then 3rd and so on until you get to the last person. Then the next round is the reverse order (12th > 11th > ... 1st)

Auction is everyone has $200, and people choose players that are up for sale. Then everyone bids for them. So 1st picks a player and a price, and everyone bids until someone wins him. Then it moves on. In auction, everyone has a chance to get whatever player they want, as long as they're willing to pay for them. Ranges from players like McCoy costing ~ $65 to players like McFadden costing $1

Just had my best draft. Got a real good draft strategy from 11. 2 people I was not expecting to be on the board in the 3rd and 5th rounds were pretty much handed to me. Hopefully they come to me on draft day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom