• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House OKs $1.6B down payment for Trump’s wall

https://apnews.com/a6976f7528974235a46cf8b834bd2c10/The-Latest:--House-OKs-$1.6B-down-payment-for-Trump's-wall

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on the House’s $788 billion spending measure (all times local):

2:30 p.m.

The Republican-led House has voted to make a $1.6 billion down payment for President Donald Trump’s long-promised wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

The vote was 230-196. Republican leaders avoided voting directly on the divisive issue Thursday. Instead, they tucked the wall provision into a broader procedural vote.

Trump promised at nearly every rally and campaign event that Mexico would pay for the wall. Mexico said no, and U.S. taxpayers will have to provide the money.

Democrats said they might have defeated the wall if they’d been given a chance. It’s unpopular with more moderate Republicans and those representing districts with large immigrant communities.

Money for the wall is part of a broader $788 billion spending bill funding defense and veterans programs.

DarkKyo

Lack of healthcare is killing more people than illegal immigrants, why are you routing more money to the wrong places?

Wasn't Mexico supposed to pay for this, Trump?

giphy.gif

PopeReal

Lets waste tons of money on something that will never be finished, and wouldn't matter even if it was.

Or... we have this health care thing.....

Reminder, folks. Sledgehammers are relatively cheap. But make sure you get a good pair of gloves and a nice wooden handle, oak works fantastically. The plastic handled sledgehammers don't really hold up to the kind of treatment we will put them through in knocking down that wall, brick by brick if we have to.

I'm hoping for greenpeace protesters sitting/camping where wall needs to be built.

But honestly i lost hope. The wall will get done, Trump will be reelected in 2020, He'll push the red button too some time towards some random country

Maxinas

Good, good. Hopefully it's heavily vandalized, and forces them to spend even more. Taxpayers deserve to suffer for allowing this imbecile into office in the first place.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Remember we have to watch out for all those Mexican Shotputters throwing 50 lb bags of drugs over it.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I still don't understand why tacking an issue onto an unrelated issue is a thing. It makes no sense at all.

Here's a deal about spending $2 million to buy treatment plans for cancer patients. Now, there's a plan attached to this one about spending $230 billion to pour boiling acid on your loved ones. You can only say yes or no to both at once.

No? What do you have against cancer patients? HEY EVERYONE, THIS GUY HATES CANCER PATIENTS

Nekofrog

Banned
There should be tours set up to go and destroy -- I mean see parts of the wall. Pickaxes -- I mean binoculars included with price of your tour.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is there any way this absolute waste of spending can be prevented at this point?

Well considering how incompetent they are actually implementing all their other shitty ideas we can just hope this one as well spins its wheels over and over again till it gets stuck in a rut.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
He'll be gone before they lay a single brick. If the senate doesn't flush it beforehand. BTW this funding would pay for all Trans military medical costs for 100 years.

Meanwhile, Trump has repeatedly been looking to slash Federal Employee retirement and force us to pay more into it. Gotta pull up those bootstraps and tighten our belts so his wall and the defense budget can get some more money.

I hate this man so much.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
They'll never be able to figure out our revolutionary wall technology

I'm hoping for greenpeace protesters sitting/camping where wall needs to be built.

But honestly i lost hope. The wall will get done, Trump will be reelected in 2020, He'll push the red button too some time towards some random country

See, I can get behind the cynicism at the government, but the idea that any large government project like this will get done on time, with Trump no less, is laughable.

I have serious doubts construction even begins before his first term is done.

Well considering how incompetent they are actually implementing all their other shitty ideas we can just hope this one as well spins its wheels over and over again till it gets stuck in a rut.

Which means like all construction projects they'll just throw more money at it.

There should be tours set up to go and destroy -- I mean see parts of the wall. Pickaxes -- I mean binoculars included with price of your tour.

Woah, hey, you can't just go knocking down that wall. That's going to be honest work for Totally Legitimate Real Estate & Construction Concerns, LLC, once it's cancelled halfway through the long-delayed and suspiciously over-budget construction.

RinsFury

I want to be there when this worthless monument to hate is torn down. It better be the first action of the next President.

JABEE

So, this in conjunction with the story about the Transgendered Soldier Military Ban makes the news story about the ban being done to secure votes for this budget more certain.

Top Bottom