• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House GOP Floats $1B Reduction In Disaster Relief To Put Down-payment On Trump's Wall

Remember folks: until the Dems can retake one (or both) chambers of Congress, we'll be at the mercy of cretins in the GOP.

President Donald Trump is promising billions to help Texas rebuild from Hurricane Harvey, but his Republican allies in the House are looking at cutting almost $1 billion from disaster accounts to help finance the president’s border wall.

The pending reduction to the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s disaster relief account is part of a spending bill that the House is scheduled to consider next week when Congress returns from its August recess. The $876 million cut, part of the 1,305-page measure’s homeland security section, pays for roughly half the cost of Trump’s down payment on a U.S.-Mexico border wall.

But not to fear, GOP "Leadership" is ready to put the kibosh on this stupidity. Not because it's bad policy, but because its untenable from an optics standpoint.

It seems sure that GOP leaders will move to reverse the disaster aid cut next week. The optics are politically bad and there’s only $2.3 billion remaining in disaster coffers.
APNews

[Bleed the coffers dry, if old]

Obligatory:

Cox_YHXWYAArPfS.jpg

The GOP wouldn't dare doing something like this with what just happened to a major red state like Texas

*assumes facts not in evidence*

I can guarantee that Texas Goopers from the Panhandle don't give two craps whether TX cities near the border get flooded or have negative impacts from closing off cross-border trade.

It's probably a net vote-getter to intimate that "those people" will be hurt more than GOP voters in the ex/suburbs.

Maxim726X

It's not unusual (quite the opposite, actually) for disaster relief bills to have pork... But wall funding?

It will get shot down by the democrats immediately. As well as it should.

I don't think the GOP is ready to have a public battle over this to slightly fund this stupid fucking wall.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Most of Texas never wanted a wall. He'll, it would carve off south Texas if the checkpoints are any indication. Wall supporters are in the old South. Build the wall there.

Republicans should remember that Trump won Texas by only 9%, I guess they wanna alienate people even further. They truly are the party of evil for not even caring for the people they represent.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I'll never wrap my head around why anyone thinks the wall is a worthwhile investment. Like, I don't understand how to debate it because the premise is so fundamentally stupid.

It's almost like they're just trying to see how much they can get away with at this point.

"Guys, if we do this and still get reelected, the possibilities are endless."

shamanick

I'll never wrap my head around why anyone thinks the wall is a worthwhile investment. Like, I don't understand how to debate it because the premise is so fundamentally stupid.

that's the problem with this administration - so fundamentally stupid it's not even debatable

I mean, everyone's forgotten about the 60-pound bags of drugs comment, a comment so stupid it would have destroyed other presidents.

Sulik2

The GOP literally wants to kill American citizens. Whether from this or healthcare. This entire country needs to march on Washington DC and not leave until every member of the GOP is removed from power.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I'm telling ya'll he is gonna "sacrifice" his wall for this and expect a medal. That's why he is so excited about how expensive and huge it is.

Ominym

Banned
I love the hunger for this wall. It’s so stupid and it can do nothing but damage all of them. I dare a Republican to try and put this forth on the eve of a natural disaster.

Don’t build the wall? Trump’s a liar regarding his campaign promises. Build the wall? It’ll force money to be taken from things people will be (rightfully) upset about. Either way it gets shoved down his throat at every turn.

The Lamp

I want them to try this just so that finally even Texas republicans might hate the current government, but they won't try it.

Mathieran

Banned
Sounds like a plot to get trump some brownie points from moderates. The GOP makes this stupid legislation and he will step in and say no. Everyone will cheer for trump, and the GOP lawmakers probably will
not lose any support from their voters. Win win.

DeadTrees

This is a good out for Trump on that stupid wall.

"I tried guys, but Texans come first!"

I'm telling ya'll he is gonna "sacrifice" his wall for this and expect a medal. That's why he is so excited about how expensive and huge it is.

Its pretty transparent its this.

Sounds like a plot to get trump some brownie points from moderates. The GOP makes this stupid legislation and he will step in and say no. Everyone will cheer for trump, and the GOP lawmakers probably will
not lose any support from their voters. Win win.
You are overthinking the motives of these bozos--they've been planning these cuts to FEMA since they moved into the White House.

Trump Weighs Cuts to Coast Guard, T.S.A. and FEMA to Bolster Border Plan
March 9, 2017

mnannola

Don't flip flop now GOP, it's your time to shine! Just calmly explain to the American people why putting a billion toward the wall is better for the country than taking care of people when a major disaster hits.

It's either the right move to make or the wrong one. Don't let a little untimely disaster stop you from living your dreams.

Socivol

The GOP wouldn't dare doing something like this with what just happened to a major red state like Texas

Lol those people are going to vote Republican regardless so I don't think that would stop them. They know their base will vote for anything with an R next to it.

Top Bottom