• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lying in bed watching Cinema on the PlayStation VR

aravuus

This is something I'm actually pretty excited to try out in x years when VR headsets' screens are higher resolution

shandy706

So...is the wife up to doing other things while you watch "cinema".

Contemplates bringing it up....decides it might be a touchy thing...lol

Watching movies on other VR sets I've had was cool. Now that I have a 4k TV I'm not real interested in VR much...for now.

Even setting aside the image quality for the "cinema" mode I wouldn't lie in bed or on the couch with all those cords and a heavy headset on for more than a half hour sitcom. I like to be comfortable and read things on my phone when watching HBO/Netflix or a movie.

Randdalf

I hate to break it to you, but any time I've tried watching stuff in VR (on the Vive, which has a slightly higher resolution) it looks like it's at a hideously low resolution. You can barely make out any text on the screen unless it's really big.

Zukuu

Banned
My TV is right in front of my bed and my desktop and monitor right next to it. I can be 'in bed' and watch movies and play games every day.

jaypah

I'm fully expecting a "so I whipped it out and didn't realize that x was in the room" post to happen by someone sooner or later.

If you don't do a double safety check it's your own fault lol. That's why VR "media" is best consumed on something like a GearVR. In a bathroom. After you've double checked the door lock.

TalonJH

If you don't do a double safety check it's your own fault lol. That's why VR "media" is best consumed on something like a GearVR. In a bathroom. After you've double checked the door lock.

Nah, I can't "immerse" myself in my "cinema" when not at least reclined.

So many people are saying "All the wires" isn't there just one? The wire that connects the PSVR unit to the PS4?

In one of the other PSVR threads there was a setup diagram and it looked like a mess by the TV but there's only the one wire going from the mess to the headset, so providing it's long enough I don't really get the "but all the wires" comments unless there's something I've misunderstood?

Steel

Banned
Watching stuff while laying down in Oculus's bigscreen app is actually pretty nice. Resolution leaves something to be desired and that would apply double for PSVR, but having a screen on the ceiling is nice.

TalonJH

So many people are saying "All the wires" isn't there just one? The wire that connects the PSVR unit to the PS4?

In one of the other PSVR threads there was a setup diagram and it looked like a mess by the TV but there's only the one wire going from the mess to the headset, so providing it's long enough I don't really get the "but all the wires" comments unless there's something I've misunderstood?

One plus your headphones.(headphones cable merges so just one for the most part.)

At least up to the box that's it.

One plus your headphones.(headphones cable merges so just one for the most part.)

At least up to the box that's it.

Oh right I could see that. I have BlueTooth headphones and I'm a self centered prick so I didn't think about how it'd affect people with wired headphones. ):

I've been watching movies in Gear VR Oculus cinema for the past year. It's a great experience. The resolution is a tad lower but who cares you are watching on a giant theater screen. It's fantastic. I recently took a road trip where I didn't have to drive and I was in the back watching movies the whole time.

I wish people commenting on "low" resolution is would try the damn thing before commenting.

Now I'm hoping the PSVR cinema mode works well. Hope they eventually release an actual movie theater app, hopefully social so we can watch and play things with friends.

My main gripe with the Gear VR is the comfort. After a while, it starts to hurt your face. If the PSVR is substantially more comfortable for long sessions, I hope to play FFXV, Last Guardian and Uncharted 4 on the big screen.

Jb

e2gRJH1.jpg

Wow good timing.

I've heard from some reviewers that the resolution is a bit of an issue when using cinema mode.
Still, I'd be interested in checking it out.

It's like how we thought four years ago that Wii U GamePad will open tons of new gameplay possibilities, and it turns out most of us just use it to play games on the shitter.

Also, "Cinema"

I watch videos far more than I play games on my Oculus. I watched Unprofessional Fridays last week on a big fake display hovering in the sky. It was great.

If I were planning to buy PS VR, I'd be concerned over the amount of control users have over setting virtual displays in the air and getting it just the way you want it.

Has it been confirmed that you can set your main view in the sky? Without Virtual Desktop I couldn't do it on PC. I can only imagine PS VR has more limitations.

sam777

This is actually a good way to watch movies, I do it now and then on the Gear VR, it is definitely a good experience.

I watch videos far more than I play games on my Oculus. I watched Unprofessional Fridays last week on a big fake display hovering in the sky. It was great.

If I were planning to buy PS VR, I'd be concerned over the amount of control users have over setting virtual displays in the air and getting it just the way you want it.

Has it been confirmed that you can set your main view in the sky? Without Virtual Desktop I couldn't do it on PC. I can only imagine PS VR has more limitations.
It's great for multitasking, but I'm not sure if Sony will allow something like that.

TalonJH

Wow good timing.

I've heard from some reviewers that the resolution is a bit of an issue when using cinema mode.
Still, I'd be interested in checking it out.

Watching non-VR content on any current headset isn't ideal. The same way how watching a full movie on your phone isn't ideal when you could watch it on your TV. It's more just an extra option for when you need it. I wouldn't get rid of my TV for it, but it's not that bad.

specdot

I've been watching movies/etc... in VR in bed for almost 2 years with my Oculus DK2 and it's just as amazing as you'd imagine. I still do it almost daily.

Op, it really is the best.
You see guys? It's not as bad as y'all think. Bunch of negative Nancy's. It's your VR headset OP, enjoy it the way you want.

I'm so hyped for this. This is one of the few things I want to do. Just let lay down on my back in bed and watch a movie or play Playstation 4 games while my wife watches TV. Man, thank you Sony!! I tried it with the Vita, but remote play on those controls are clunky. This is the real solution to my issue, plus my wife want to watch her movies on the PlayStation VR too. Anybody else feels the same way?

You'll get better quality by mounting a TV to your ceiling if that's what you want. I think you're going to be disappointed in the Visual clarity of the HMD for theatre mode.

I have demoed the PSVR twice btw

This is actually a good way to watch movies, I do it now and then on the Gear VR, it is definitely a good experience.

You really enjoy dithered color 720p then huh? I have a Gear VR with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and things like Netflix (especially) and movies because of content encryption and limitations make it look awful. The colors mix and Meld awkwardly, the resolution isn't great either.

People should read this to understand better some of the limitations of the hardware and things that are being held back. John Carmack on streaming video in VR and limitations of the headset.

http://techblog.netflix.com/2015/09/john-carmack-on-developing-netflix-app.html?m=1

yamo

If you're willing to sacrifice IQ and you're close enough to your PS4, sure, this could work..

Why would he sacrifice his intelligence for this? You sound like my mother who told me that I would become stupid because I was sitting too close to the TV as a kid. /smh

bigmac996

I'm sure the novelty will wear off rather quickly. I'd rather set up remote play on my Macbook Pro, then HDMI it onto another TV to play games if the main TV is occupied.

It did for me on the Gear/ Vive. Used it a lot in the beginning, but I'd rather watch a clear hi-res image any day.

Stimpack

It is not as great as it sounds. Maybe one day, but right now the technology isn't as accommodating as it needs to be.

It did for me on the Gear/ Vive. Used it a lot in the beginning, but I'd rather watch a clear hi-res image any day.

Ditto. When I got my Gear VR I used it for like a Week straight to watch videos at night when I was tired and didn't want to sit in a chair. I eventually just started watching on my Tablet or even phone again after a short period. The loss in quality is pretty big.

Lister

Banned
People are getting mixed up here. The headset itself has gyros etc inside to allow for rotational tracking, just like the Gear VR does, no camera required. I believe this is what the cinema screen mode uses. The camera/lights are required for positional tracking within games. The cinema mode obviously just won't have positional tracking, i.e. if you move a foot forward the virtual screen won't get a foot closer to you.

Those things are never accurate enough. You get drift, and continues recentering is required.

YEah, OP is likely not going to have a great experience without sitting in front of the camera... or hanging the camera from the ceiling!

Lister

Banned
Watching non-VR content on any current headset isn't ideal. The same way how watching a full movie on your phone isn't ideal when you could watch it on your TV. It's more just an extra option for when you need it. I wouldn't get rid of my TV for it, but it's not that bad.

Not quite. Your phone's content will still be pretty sharp, and the vidoe will use all the pixels on the phone's panel.

That's not the case in VR. Not all the pixels on the panel are used to render the image, and the image will be a representation of the video at a much lower resolution since it's a projected canvas in 3D virtual space.

It will be more like watching a real video player stream (remember those?) or a low quality youtube stream than watching your HD phone.

If you've ever used one of those $100 ultra portable subHD projectors, you might have an idea of what ti woudl be like. IT looks cool for like 5 minutes, having that HD movie up on a big wall... and then you realize how low quality it is and you go back to watching it on your TV.

Zabka

I've watched a couple movies and some Netflix shows this on the GearVR. It's pretty awesome. Overheating was the only issue.

Though PSVR is like half the native res of a rift.
80%

I've watched a couple movies and some Netflix shows this on the GearVR. It's pretty awesome. Overheating was the only issue.

The question really isn't "is it cool?". The question that remains, is it novel because watching on a standard device provides better quality?

The answer is objectively yes. Until VR can provide equivalent quality to that of a TV it's simply a novel usage.

If the mast majority of people didn't have TV's in their home this would be a different story, but most do at at least 720p if not 1080.

The question really isn't "is it cool?". The question that remains, is it novel because watching on a standard device provides better quality?

The answer is objectively yes. Until VR can provide equivalent quality to that of a TV it's simply a novel usage.

If the mast majority of people didn't have TV's in their home this would be a different story, but most do at at least 720p if not 1080.

Some people are quite happy with novel uses though. Not me personally, but already a few in this thread... To tell them they are doing it wrong because you wouldn't is pretty tone-deaf.

Zabka

Resolution isn't the selling point. The selling point is scale.

Resolution isn't the selling point. The selling point is scale.

Which is literally the equivalent of holding a device closer to your face or moving closer to a TV/Monitor.

If you look at my post history you'll see I'm firmly in support of VR. But there are uses where it just doesn't do what it needs to/should as the tech or iteration just isn't there yet. Or where issues are caused by outside sources like encryption or otherwise reduce quality. The point is though people can be excited as they want, but should temper their expectations when comparing to existing hardware and methods. I just don't want people getting the wrong idea about what it offers and then our having something based on hype.

I was planning to do this with my Vive, but the quality was too bad to be enjoyable.

Not even the good kind of bad like VHS, just bad.

Cartman86

Banned
People are getting mixed up here. The headset itself has gyros etc inside to allow for rotational tracking, just like the Gear VR does, no camera required. I believe this is what the cinema screen mode uses. The camera/lights are required for positional tracking within games. The cinema mode obviously just won't have positional tracking, i.e. if you move a foot forward the virtual screen won't get a foot closer to you.

That makes a lot of people sick and in my opinion is a really shitty way to view video. There is a reason in VR games video is in the world and not stuck to your face. Anyways I've done with the my Vive and it's not great. Even in a virtual cinema (with positional tracking) the quality isn't nearly what you get with a television and it's just not a comfortable way to watch movies. I'm sure PSVR is physically more comfortable, but for 2 hours, laying down etc? No way. Yes the idea of a huge screen is cool, but the tech isn't quite there yet. It probably will be sooner rather than later though.

EDIT: Also if it is an actual virtual cinema with positional tracking then you need to constantly reset your center if you are moving the camera or positioning yourself on a bed. This is hard to describe but if you try to do this it will become very apparent.

If all you want VR for is to play PS4 or watch stuff when the TV is in use then a laptop solved that problem a long time ago.

Top Bottom