• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lying in bed watching Cinema on the PlayStation VR

Just watched some 1080p Planet Earth in PSVR, looked like a good DVD on a TV the size of my wall. Probably won't use it often but it's a pretty neat feature.

Does the PSVR have better image quality than the Vive? Because none of my blurays looked dvd quality with that.

Reallink

Anyone who has used Big Screen or Virtual Desktop for any amount of time will tell you these virtual cinemas/displays have a very high chance of all but completely supplanting monitors, TV's, and home theaters for a LOT of people, but I'd say we're at least 2 generations of HMD's away from that. Already they're wholly convincing that you're in a different room watching whatever size display you can imagine, but the present HW limits it to a cool novelty that teases the obvious potential and demonstrates there's a long ways to go.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
e2gRJH1.jpg

g7IsB.gif

Time to start working on my vr video "collection".

I used to watch videos with my Gears VR. It was pretty sweet actually. Never realized the loss of quality til I saw it pointed out here haha. Are there any good VR video recommendations out there?

pachura

PS4 Media Player v2.50 coming soon,
adds support for high-re (FLAC)
audio files, and user generated 360
videos / photos viewable in VR

According to /r/PSVR/, it doesn't support stereoscopic 360 videos, only flat ones.

bj00rn_

Banned
Does the PSVR have better image quality than the Vive? Because none of my blurays looked dvd quality with that.

No, it's most likely the novelty factor that hasn't wore off yet.

And also, what people aren't mentioning is the fact that because of the limitations in lens technology (the narrow sweet spot), the more you enlarge the size of "the giant screen" the worse the image quality. And this is of course on top of the already low number of pixels per FOV degree (worse than DVD). ..AND, if a low render target resolution on top of that again, there's not much incentive left to use these things for movies.

karasu

When people say the image is low-res, how low are we talking exactly? As someone who can't tell the difference between 1080p and 720p(My tv is way too far away I think) will I notice?

zoukka

When people say the image is low-res, how low are we talking exactly? As someone who can't tell the difference between 1080p and 720p(My tv is way too far away I think) will I notice?

Everyone will notice the difference between VR and non-VR content because it's such a different experience. If you aren't picky about 720p then you will be fine.

El-Suave

Yes, you should notice. Can't talk about theater mode but you clearly can see pixelation. It's not a dealbreaker for games though. I compare it to my old led projector when you got too close you could see the pixels that made up the image. Still vowed me at the time though. ;)

I can't speak for PSVR but I tried out the Gear VR and Google Cardboard... It's like looking through a screen door or mosquito net.

bj00rn_

Banned

Here's a quick and dirty comparison (no need for nitpicking..). Keep in mind it's not the same as increasing the resolution on the same size screen, it's worse: You're taking the same resolution and wrapping it around your field of view. So it's effectively a much larger difference than between 720p and 1080p on the same screen:

Your TV at a distance (grey), with a 1080p display (green) inside your field of view (white), the short red line is "how much" difference there's between 720p (blue) to 1080p (green) res (approx...), and the long red line is how much (approx..) you'll have to blow up the 1080p (green) resolution to fill your FOV (white) in VR. The difference (pixels per FOV degree) is huge.

My wife would be furious if I said I wanted to hide inside of a helmet more than I want to watch TV with her. To each his/her own I guess...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
No, it's most likely the novelty factor that hasn't wore off yet.

I haven't read all reviews. but a couple seemed to claim the overall image quality was more pleasing than the other sets. Not due to the screen resolution, obviously, but because of what they claimed seemed to be better optics. That some of the artifacts on the other HMDs aren't there on PSVR. And I guess the pixel layout helps a bit too.

I guess this has all been well discussed already, though - I've not been keeping up the latest debates about the relative merits of the images on each HMD, from screen through optics to eye.

Top Bottom