• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marcus Beer vs ECA Ambassador "Hip Hop Gamer" Twitter feud

AHA-Lambda

Why don't you like Marcus Beer? His positions are pro consumer and he's been on the money on just about everything. Or do you mean you don't like him as a person?

His complaint about lack of marketing for Sony exclusives is identical to GAF's complaints. Identical.

Agreed, he's one of the games journalists out there who is pro consumer and will call people out on their bullshit. Plus the amazing thing is this guy is ex PR!! You just don't see that these days at all in games journalism!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47519009&postcount=5

I'm not that surprised the ECA has gotten themselves into another PR mess after the way they handled their free memberships.

So he just asked and they said yes?! Christ almighty.

IrishNinja

i like HHG, but ive never really seen him as pro/taking himself too serious. the 12 gift bags thing is pretty classy, haha

His issues with plagiarism are documented.

what're the specifics on this?

No way someone like "Hip Hop Gamer" represents me. I'm a 30 year old working professional, I don't need morons like him showing the masses what kind of people gamers are.
...Get someone like Geoff Keighly

oh, okay

With what he's done thus far, I'd simply call him a "gaming personality" instead of a journalist anyway. Much of the time, whatever he's doing seems to be focused on him.

Don't have a problem with the persona, however, I do have a beef with the unprofessional manner in which I've seen him and his group he's with conduct themselves at events.

Squire

Banned
I think the biggest issue with HHG is everyone swearing he's such a sweetheart when they meet him. I'm sure he is, but that's awful reason to not hold him accountable for his actions and furthermore allow him to represent the industry when his entire persona is symbolic of things people hate about the industry.

Boy, both people in this argument kind of seem like jerks. HHG definitely has a history of acting like an idiot, but this paternalistic bent to all of "The Annoyed Gamer" :)lol) tweets is really silly. Neither of these people act like professionals, apparently.

Mesoian

For people not in the know:

This is hip hop gamer.

hiphopgamer.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTuq7o2tkQc

antitrop

Today is literally the first time I have ever heard of Hip Hop Gamer.
He seem like a real piece of shit. The kind of guy that would get banned from GAF before getting out of Junior status.

I'm also usually not a fan of Annoyed Gamer, either, but his episode today was very, very good. Especially all the parts about the used games. And his criticism of HHG seems very reasonable.

I also let out an audible laugh when AG said that HHG was a shill for Medal of Honor: Warfighter.

MechaX

After reading all of this... christ.

I would prefer if Angry fucking Joe was the "voice of the gamers" over this.

Squire

Banned
Boy, both people in this argument kind of seem like jerks. HHG definitely has a history of acting like an idiot, but this paternalistic bent to all of "The Annoyed Gamer" :)lol) tweets is really silly. Neither of these people act like professionals, apparently.

They are both tools, let's be honest here.

Only one of them has been appointed as our supposed anbassador though. You can ignore Beer entirely.

antitrop

so this thread is also about potshots on an excellent game creator, rather than, you know, the "reviewer" who won't review his games, awesome
It's not a potshot, it's the truth.

Kamiya on Twitter has the self-restraint of a five year old.

When did anyone bring up the games that he created? They are not even the issue here. I'm actually offended that you believe the fact that he made a bunch of totally kick ass games allows him a free pass from criticism towards his public persona.

Kusagari

It's not a potshot, it's the truth.

Kamiya on Twitter has the self-restraint of a five year old.

When did anyone bring up the games that he created? They are not even the issue here. I'm actually offended that you believe the fact that he made a bunch of totally kick ass games allows him a free pass from criticism towards his public persona.

A reviewer refusing to review someone's work because of how they're acting on Twitter is more childish than anything Kamiya did.

And I'm not defending Kamiya, because I do think he crossed the line with the comment that got Beer all upset.

fvng

They are both tools, let's be honest here.

Over simplification. HHG being a tool is well documented. You'd be hard pressed to make the same case about Marcus Beer. Support your opinion.

A reviewer refusing to review someone's work because of how they're acting on Twitter is more childish than anything Kamiya did.

And I'm not defending Kamiya, because I do think he crossed the line with the comment that got Beer all upset.

Would you really want the review to happen, at the risk of some bias? In any case I appreciate the fact that he recused himself.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Got a chance to meet HHG at PAX East few years ago. He's a really passionate guy and I have nothing but love for him. People like to paint him as a non-professional journalist because of his personality and such but he's done tons of interviews with some big name people who all have love for him, including David Jaffe, Geoff Keighley, guys from Media Molecule, Adam Sessler, etc.

Hopefully this gets settled because last thing we need is beef in the video game industry. Also for those who are uninformed, he calls himself Hip Hop Gamer because he used to work at Def Jam Records before turning his career to video games. I don't expect anyone to know that judging from the comments posted in here already.

antitrop

And I'm not defending Annoyed Gamer, either.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Got a chance to meet HHG at PAX East few years ago. He's a really passionate guy and I have nothing but love for him. People like to paint him as a non-professional journalist because of his personality and such but he's done tons of interviews with some big name people who all have love for him, including David Jaffe, Geoff Keighley, guys from Media Molecule, Adam Sessler, etc.

Hopefully this gets settled because last thing we need is beef in the video game industry. Also for those who are uninformed, he calls himself Hip Hop Gamer because he used to work at Def Jam Records before turning his career to video games. I don't expect anyone to know that judging from the comments posted in here already.
And what about many of his actions? Are those swept under the rug because he's a 'nice guy'? This confuses me.

andyb0y

Neo Member
HHG is an annoying twat. He tries too hard with his gimmick to get people to notice him. Without the gimmick, he has nothing. I hope he turns himself around but I don't see his ego letting him do that.

At least I can have something to laugh at if I ever see him at an event.

Derrick01

Banned
so this thread is also about potshots on an excellent game creator, rather than, you know, the "reviewer" who won't review his games, awesome

I don't know anything about either of these "gaming personalities" (some of the people I dislike the most anyway), I just know that Kamiya acts like a whiny child on twitter. It's hard to take his side on anything on blind faith.

Slair

HHG is supposed to represent gamers and doesn't even have a gaf account? For shame.

Edit - a snippet thanks to destructoid on why the ECA chose HHG:

Gerard approached us wanting to know what he could do to help the cause. He's in the process of turning his life around, becoming more professional and inspirational to his friends and followers. It's exceedingly rare that we have individuals approach the organization laying it all out there, offering to do whatever they can, and asking for nothing in return. While we weren't aware of any of his perceived transgressions online, we choose to embrace his support, his efforts and his selflessness. If we were all judged solely upon the negatives in our past we would all be damned. We would like to give him the opportunity to be a voice for gamers and a positive role model for gaming.

antitrop

I'm with AG on giving HHG the benefit of the doubt, though.

Even far moreso because I have never heard of him before this. It would be extremely distasteful for me to completely dismiss this guy because some guy on GameTrailers and a bunch of GAFfers have said about him. Everyone makes mistakes, his comments certainly paint him in a bad light, but they don't damn him from the beginning.

If he can take this ECA thing seriously, and step up into the role that he requested and do it well, then more power to him. I hope he does.

If he just uses this as a disgusting platform for self-promotion and self-interest, then AG will have been proven correct.

mcdoomington

Neo Member
Anyone doubting Marcus Beer's credibility or chops, whether you like him or not: He's the on-air video games reporter for the NBC station in LA , so I think that instantly gives him a leg up on a dude who says Medal "just got the franchise shitcanned" of Honor: Warfighter is "an amazing game." (edit: ...meaning Marcus has WAY THE HELL MORE credibility than HHG. Always has, always will.)

Wynnebeck

Banned
And what about many of his actions? Are those swept under the rug because he's a 'nice guy'? This confuses me.

No, I'm not condoning the man's actions. He said some pretty crazy things and he has to atone for that. However, I feel people just look at his overall persona and then automatically prejudge just because he's not in a business suit and adheres to the "correct" way you are supposed to be a journalist.

Petrae

The problem here isn't that HHG is a nice guy, or even a passionate guy. The problem is that his behavior at times has been less than exemplary for some who is going to be the face of a political lobby. Journalistic integrity issues aside, using words like f*ggot and rape or being allegedly linked to theft of gift bags from a prominent event are things that should not be on a "brand ambassador"'s resume.

If HHG keeps focusing on his own brand, that's more than fine. He may be abrasive at times and do some questionable things, but he has a strong following and a good network of industry luminaries to work with.

As a brand ambassador for the ECA, though? I can't support that, whether he volunteered or not. It's not a good fit in terms of character or how you present yourself to the media as the face of an organization.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I've never once watched any of these youtube _____gamer personalities, but the hiphopgamer guy sounds like an asshole.

antitrop

Anyone doubting Marcus Beer's credibility or chops, whether you like him or not: He's the on-air video games reporter for the NBC station in LA , so I think that instantly gives him a leg up on a dude who says Medal "just got the franchise shitcanned" of Honor: Warfighter is "an amazing game."
I'm not going to shit all over the guy because he liked a video game, but...
Dear God that is just too fucking hilarious.

Something tells me we wouldn't get along very well.

Trigger

HHG is such a cute guy. He'd be better off dropping the gimmick and trying to create legitimate discussions on gaming. You can't be an ambassador without credibility.

IrishNinja

I'm actually offended that you believe the fact that he made a bunch of totally kick ass games allows him a free pass from criticism towards his public persona.

that's a strange thing to take offense at, but okay.
i thought it was funny when kamiya asked "do you eat shit" to kotaku slamming him over some made-up garbage, and got called on treating him like king of japan. i admit that he spends too much time with the lower element of twitter on his feed, but calling him a 5 year old/someone who has to be lowered to etc strikes me as potshot-y.

he's a game creator, who makes good games. that's what i want from him, and don't rightly care what he does on twitter most times. a game reviewer who throws fits & doesn't review games is a great deal more useless to me, but you by no means have to agree to this, or take whatever free passes i'm giving out as though they apply to you/others.

I don't know anything about either of these "gaming personalities" (some of the people I dislike the most anyway), I just know that Kamiya acts like a whiny child on twitter. It's hard to take his side on anything on blind faith.

i'd prolly be pissy if i was responding to fans in a foreign tongue and only got the same dozen questions that don't apply to my current gig/have already been answered over & over again, in between kotaku telling people i don't know what a PC is, though. it's probably better i'm not an industry professional, granted.

Top Bottom