• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marcus Beer vs ECA Ambassador "Hip Hop Gamer" Twitter feud

Never got HHG. It just made me feel embarrassed.

Also he got banned from N4G. That should tell you something about his reputation when that cesspool has had enough of your shit.

Also dude needs to stop being cheap and get a custom championship belt made. Carrying around the WWE title just makes him look like a man-child.

Squire

Banned
People do the same thing with Kamiya as writers do with HHG. "He just wants to make great games!" Great. I'm glad he feels that way and I love some of his games.

He's an asshoke on Twitter. Simple math.

apana

Why don't you like Marcus Beer? His positions are pro consumer and he's been on the money on just about everything. Or do you mean you don't like him as a person?

His complaint about lack of marketing for Sony exclusives is identical to GAF's complaints. Identical.

Well I don't have a strong dislike of him. It just seems like him and Shane Satterfield were the two whiners on the GameTrailers podcast whereas the other ones were more like regular gamers. Actually I guess he is better than Shane.

Serra

Anyone doubting Marcus Beer's credibility or chops, whether you like him or not: He's the on-air video games reporter for the NBC station in LA , so I think that instantly gives him a leg up on a dude who says Medal "just got the franchise shitcanned" of Honor: Warfighter is "an amazing game."

Are you seriously implying that being an "on-air video games reporter" for NBC LA means jack shit?

HHG and Beer are both twats.

Cravis

The ECA is a joke. They lost every shred of respect and confidence I had for them a few years back when they offered a years worth of promotions and discounts to join, only to reveal that in order to cancel and not be billed you would need to send a snail mail letter to cancel the membership. They claimed they couldn't properly create the ability to cancel a membership on their site.

This certainly solidifies my opinion of them being a joke. There's no saving face in this. If they chose him as Ambassador knowing of his past exploits then they're a bunch of jackasses. If they chose him without checking his background they're a bunch of dumbasses. Regardless they're asses.

mcdoomington

Neo Member
I'm not going to shit all over the guy because he liked a video game, but...
Dear God that is just too fucking hilarious.

Something tells me we wouldn't get along very well.

I don't normally condemn opinions on game preferences either, but...come on...AMAZING? And he made a music video for it? Sounds like someone got paid.

edit
Are you seriously implying that being an "on-air video games reporter" for NBC LA means jack shit?

Uh...I think you need to re-read my post, Bro Montana, as I was implying the exact opposite of that.

Mesoian

No, I'm not condoning the man's actions. He said some pretty crazy things and he has to atone for that. However, I feel people just look at his overall persona and then automatically prejudge just because he's not in a business suit and adheres to the "correct" way you are supposed to be a journalist.

It could have been a great angle to work. Everyone needs their niche, something they bring to the table that's different from everyone else. But man, HHG's persona is so intensely negative towards the audience that even when he brings up a good point, it comes off as an assault or a defensive statement. The crazy thug life nature towards his interviews and videos makes you wonder if he's actually interested in getting the news across or playing up this persona in an increasingly sizable light.

He feels like a cartoon character. Everything he does comes off as incredibly fake, by design. So it's really odd that he puts a lot of stake in the public perception of his integrity and clout.

If AG didn't insult HHG but simply said that his persona doesn't represent Gamer's accurately, I don't think we see this going down this way.

However, the way AG carries himself (referring to HHG as "Sunshine" and calling him "a joke" and saying he represents everything that is wrong with games right now) seems quite hypocritical when the main point of his statement is that HHG isn't professional and doesn't qualify as a journalist. Yes it's an opinion piece but it doesn't help AG's argument at all.

And I say this having absolutely zero exposure to either of them. AG's opinion may have merit, as we see from the evidence provided in the OP, but the way he goes about expressing it leaves me with a negative opinion about AG as well. So the whole thing is a wash.

Squire

Banned

He is, because it does. Beer has a job that required credentials to obtain.

HHG makes videos on the Internet.

I'm sorry you dislike Beer, but he definitely has the leg up here.

antitrop

http://www.egmnow.com/hiphopgamer/m...game-deep-story-diverse-gameplay-instant-hit/
"First: Graphics look great hands down, special effects, the lighting, this game has a graphical tone in terms of the environments that your in, that makes you feel like it’s a real place that your doing battle in and not something made up. Guess What these missions are inspired by true events and these locations are REAL and what happens in this game ACTUALLY HAPPENED, AMAZING."

Can anyone actually confirm if this is true? I'm pretty sure MoH: W is a complete work of fiction.

Did he just completely make up some shit?

PSGames

Ugh people can be overly judge mental from their glass houses. Hip Hop Gamer is not perfect by any means but I've met and talked with the guy at E3 and dude is a really nice guy plus has a huge passion for games. As hard as he's worked over the past few years give the man a chance.

Edit: can't believe I'm taking up for him because I hated everything about the guy before I actually met him.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Never got HHG. It just made me feel embarrassed.

Also he got banned from N4G. That should tell you something about his reputation when that cesspool has had enough of your shit.

Also dude needs to stop being cheap and get a custom championship belt made. Carrying around the WWE title just makes him look like a man-child.

Getting banned from N4G is like being barfed up by the Sarlacc because you're too gross to digest over 1,000 years.

He didn't get banned from N4G because they thought he was "terrible" or what have you. They banned him because many of his stories were getting voted down due to him having a network of friends on N4G approve his stories for him. Also at the time, he was on a PS3>360 kick and 360 fanboys were calling for his head. Once again, not good but at the same time the man works for EGM now so I doubt he cares.

paul187

I don't know either of these people. They both sound like assholes personally. The Hiphopgamer especially sounds like a scumbag if he's going to gaming events and stealing gift bags.

What did Kamiya say that the guy doesn't want to review his games anymore?

Can anyone actually confirm if this is true? I'm pretty sure MoH: W is a complete work of fiction.

Did he just completely make up some shit?

Is Medal of Honor Warfighter based on a real military operation?

For the first time in our franchise history, Medal of Honor Warfighter is not directly based on a single historical event. Instead, the story is inspired by multiple real world events connected by a single terror threat. The Medal of Honor Warfighter story was written by Tier 1 Operators while deployed overseas. We follow a very personal story of “Preacher”, a Tier 1 Operator from the U.S. Navy as he returns home only to find his family torn apart from years of combat deployment.

http://www.medalofhonor.com/faq

krae_man

Wearing a WWF Championship belt? He should get with the times and wear a WWE Championship belt.

That's a John Cena replica belt. The WWF changed it's name to WWE in 2002. That belt didn't come out until 2005. It's still being used today:

Fhf76la.jpg

Anyway, as for why he carries it. It's a young male, mostly black male but not exclusiely ego thing. "I got the belt I'm number one, I'm the best" kind of thing. Several Athletes have done the same thing. Rasheed Wallace and Aaron Rogers among them. Although in their defense, the have enough common sense to use the "Big gold belt" and not that John Cena abomination.

Mesoian

He is, because it does. Beer has a job that required credentials to obtain.

HHG makes videos on the Internet.

I'm sorry you dislike Beer, but he definitely has the leg up here.

Shakey Ground. While you do need credentials to do one, it doesn't necessarily mean having said job suddenly makes you a grand authority on the subject.

Jeff Gerstmann is CBSi's radio correspondent for all things video games, but his work on Giantbomb over the past 4 years is far more important than his 30 second weekly soundbites. It's a similar situation with Beer; his voiceplate is the internet, that's where the audience is and that's where he made a name for himself and continues to bolster his reputation, regardless of any other tertiary jobs he may have in the field.

I agree with Marcus. HHG isnt the right choice, hes more of a caricature that doesnt even know how to express himself to the public.

Squire

Banned
Shakey Ground. While you do need credentials to do one, it doesn't necessarily mean having said job suddenly makes you a grand authority on the subject.

Jeff Gerstmann is CBSi's radio correspondent for all things video games, but his work on Giantbomb over the past 4 years is far more important than his 30 second weekly soundbites. It's a similar situation with Beer; his voiceplate is the internet, that's where the audience is and that's where he made a name for himself and continues to bolster his reputation, regardless of any other tertiary jobs he may have in the field.

Beer is on higher ground is my point.

daycru

First I've heard of this Annoyed Gamer, really liked him. I'll watch more.

HHG is an entertaining guy, but is clearly a joke as a pick for a role of any importance.

So he basically stretched the truth so far it would rip.

That's EA's way of saying it's a fictional story based on real experiences. So yes, his comment [given how specific it is in claiming events of the game occurred rather than the broad experience is based in truth] is complete nonsense.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
HHG's passion for the video games industry is unmatched really nice guy who put a whole lot of work in to get as far as he has.
I want to see him succeed ECA picked the right man for the job....Marcus Beer trashing HHG says a lot about what kind of person he is.

despicable

antitrop

That's EA's way of saying it's a fictional story based on real experiences. So yes, his comment [given how specific it is in claiming events of the game occurred rather than the broad experience is based in truth] is complete nonsense.
Ya, pretty much.

Thanks, appreciate the source and whatnot.

Top Bottom