• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marcus Beer vs ECA Ambassador "Hip Hop Gamer" Twitter feud

HHG's passion for the video games industry is unmatched really nice guy who put a whole lot of work in to get as far as he has.
I want to see him succeed ECA picked the right man for the job....Marcus Beer trashing HHG says a lot about what kind of person he is.

despicable

I'm pretty terrible at spotting it via text so just to make sure: Is this satire?

PSGames

http://www.medalofhonor.com/faq

http://www.medalofhonor.com/faq

That's EA's way of saying it's a fictional story based on real experiences. So yes he did "completely make up some shit".

Are we reading the same thing??

"For the first time in our franchise history, Medal of Honor Warfighter is not directly based on a single historical event. Instead, the story is inspired by multiple real world events connected by a single terror threat."

HHG specifically states they are inspired by real world events. Man people are trying to find anything to tear him down with.

Mesoian

HHG's passion for the video games industry is unmatched really nice guy who put a whole lot of work in to get as far as he has.
I want to see him succeed ECA picked the right man for the job....Marcus Beer trashing HHG says a lot about what kind of person he is.

despicable

...In the words of the virgin mary....come again?

antitrop

Are we reading the same thing??

"For the first time in our franchise history, Medal of Honor Warfighter is not directly based on a single historical event. Instead, the story is inspired by multiple real world events connected by a single terror threat."

HHG specifically states they are inspired by real world events. Man people are trying to find anything to tear him down with.
The problem is that he literally contradicts himself in the second half of his sentence with "Guess What these missions are inspired by true events and these locations are REAL and what happens in this game ACTUALLY HAPPENED, AMAZING".

Nothing in Medal of Honor: Warfighter, outside of coincidence, actually happened. He is lying. Or at the very least being so disingenuous as to make it difficult to take anything he says about video games seriously.

Jathaine

The problem is that he literally contradicts himself in the second half of his sentence with "Guess What these missions are inspired by true events and these locations are REAL and what happens in this game ACTUALLY HAPPENED, AMAZING".

Doesn't seem like he was intentionally telling any mistruths. It honestly looks like he misunderstood... as sad as that may be.

Petrae

despicable

Nice guy aside, hard work aside... when you do negative things and later ask to represent a political lobby group, you open yourself up to criticism from Beer, Kuchera, and anyone else.

Being a nice guy or a passionate guy doesn't automatically rewrite history. Ask politicians about that. Stuff you do stays with you no matter how nice you are or how you intend to rebuild yourself. The onus will be on HHG to prove that he can change.

Wynnebeck

Banned

Nothing in Medal of Honor: Warfighter, outside of coincidence, actually happened. He is lying. Or at the very least being so disingenuous as to make it difficult to every take anything he says about video games seriously.

You do realize the people EA consulted about the missions they spoke about were reprimanded by the US Goverment? Yes, I'm sure the government would punish people for giving information that wasn't true.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidth...manded-for-work-on-medal-of-honor-warfighter/

Mesoian

Nothing in Medal of Honor: Warfighter, outside of coincidence, actually happened. He is lying. Or at the very least being so disingenuous as to make it difficult to take anything he says about video games seriously.

I think you're giving him a little too much credit. Isn't the more likely situation that he considers "inspired by true events" to be the same as a retelling of a story that happened in real life with only the minor details like times and names being altered, similar to how people who think movies that are "based on true events" are non-fiction?

You do realize the people EA consulted about the missions they spoke about were reprimanded by the US Goverment? Yes, I'm sure the government would punish people for giving information that wasn't true.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidth...manded-for-work-on-medal-of-honor-warfighter/

And I don't think you're giving either the US armed forces or EA enough credit. There are reasons why actively service members of the military don't talk about what's going on in a warzone, to a video game company, to anyone.

Are you sure about that? If it was written by T1 Operators overseas.. it stands to reason that the scenarios are based on real scenarios. What specifically happened in those scenarios is likely changed but there is reason to believe that they generally happened.

I get what you're saying but it's kind of dancing on a fine line. It's like saying the movie Black Hawk Down happened. We all know it's based on real events and generally what happens in the movie actually did happen.. but at the same time the story elements and the specifics aren't exactly how it went down.

You might want to read the article you linked...

The SEALs apparently did not receive permission from commanding officers to work on the game, and also showed confidential combat equipment to the designers.

fvng

Dismissing Marcus Beer over one comment is as bad as dismissing Kamiya over the eat shit comment.

Nor do I agree with dismissing a person outright because you don't agree on one particular issue. As if you can only like a person that agrees with 100% of your views.

Not exactly the most adult way of handling differing opinions.

Does he at least have some education on the journalism field? Why is he calling himself a PROFESSIONAL JOURNALIST on those tweets?

The only video I've seen of this guy was when he was interviewing a Sony PR about the new Playstation Store and he was annoying as hell. I felt sorry for the poor guy being interviewed.

antitrop

Does he at least have some education on the journalism field? Why is he calling himself a PROFESSIONAL JOURNALIST on those tweets?
He works for EGM.
I have no idea what his credentials are.

I doubt he has a degree in Journalism or anything. He probably just calls himself that because he provides written work for a games publication. Which is fine, I don't particularly take issue with him calling himself a journalist.

Certainly not anymore than most other games "journalists" out there.

He's not. He's referencing that AG's criticism about HHG's qualifications as a journalist while not doing his due diligence in talking to HHG about the incidents he references to get the full story. It's a pointless tact though since it wasn't a story that AG delivered but an opinion piece.

JDSN

Banned
You guys should check out Marcus Beer's twitter timeline when Assasin's Creed 3 came out, that shill is just jelaous he isnt shill number 1.

Meelow

Banned
Who is hiphopgamer? Never heard of him.

For people not in the know:

This is hip hop gamer.

hiphopgamer.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTuq7o2tkQc

velociraptor

I've seen a few HHG videos. He seems like a nice guy, but why does he have to ascribe to the 'keeping it treal' stereotype? And why carry a fake WWE championship belt? And why get involved in petty feuds on the internet?

-PXG-

Twitter...feuds? Both of them need to grow up and shut the fuck up. How about that.

Gaming journalism is such a joke these days. A lot of these motherfuckers have massive egos. Like I care that you kiss publisher's asses just to play game demos before the public.

Please.

Wynnebeck

Banned
You very clearly did not even read the article you just directed me to.

I find that hilarious.

What's hilarious? The article obviously said:

The SEALs apparently did not receive permission from commanding officers to work on the game, and also showed confidential combat equipment to the designers.

I'm sure the SEALs showed up, showed them some equipment, and walked off like "Bring that back on Tuesday!" /s It's ok though. Obviously nothing being said is going to change yours or anybody's mind so it's a moot point.

Jackpot

Banned
Please stop this. People are entitled to their own opinion without having guys like you coming in telling them their opinion is wrong.

Then give reasons for it outside of "he's just really passionate!". That's not an excuse for theft, plagiarism or outright lying.

Are you sure about that? If it was written by T1 Operators overseas.. it stands to reason that the scenarios are based on real scenarios. What specifically happened in those scenarios is likely changed but there is reason to believe that they generally happened.

I get what you're saying but it's kind of dancing on a fine line. It's like saying the movie Black Hawk Down happened. We all know it's based on real events and generally what happens in the movie actually did happen.. but at the same time the story elements and the specifics aren't exactly how it went down.

Jesus H, how many people actually played Warfighter? I don't remember seeing a port in Pakistan explode on the news. Or an arms dealer's private army attacking NATO soldiers in Bosnia. And you compare this to the well-documented events in Somalia that led to the US's withdrawl? What the hell do they teach kids in school these days?

edit:

I'm sure the SEALs showed up, showed them some equipment, and walked off like "Bring that back on Tuesday!" /s It's ok though. Obviously nothing being said is going to change yours or anybody's mind so it's a moot point.

I'm confused. Are you now agreeing or disagreeing that the article you linked to directly contradicts what you said and that it's everyone else's fault that they're now not going to change their minds and believe your version of events?

I thought I came to GAF to get away from the HipHopGamer articles, blah

Years ago I ran into his stuff a lot over at N4G and to be honest it was never really good. The videos were probably the best part, and even then I watched them to see how embarrassed the people being interviewed would look, making them put on his belt...

His staff (if that's what it is) was way worse, and almost every single article had some sort of flame-bait sensationalist headline, got to the point where even the community over there would just give him shit immediately upon posting.

Haven't even heard of him since, but apparently he's still around. I got no hate for what he does, if he loves writing about video games then by all means write away. I do have a problem with how he goes about it, which is why I simply don't read. Simple as that.

Jesus H, how many people actually played Warfighter? I don't remember seeing a port in Pakistan explode on the news. Or an arms dealer's private army attacking NATO soldiers in Bosnia. And you compare this to the well-documented events in Somalia that led to the US's withdrawl? What the hell do they teach kids in school these days?

Yes let's nitpick the most outrageous aspects of the story in Warfighter as if that's what I was referring to.

I'm sure the SEALs showed up, showed them some equipment, and walked off like "Bring that back on Tuesday!" /s

The article directly contradicts that which you claimed [that, within the context of a discussion regarding the quote "what happens in this game ACTUALLY HAPPENED, AMAZING", soldiers were reprimanded due to the accuracy of the games portrayal of true events]. I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue anymore, but it has nothing to do with the original debate regarding the accuracy of the narrative.

What is the most sad is that bullshit "twitter feuds" like this will get more attention than the quality reporting and writing that many gaming journalists are producing using less bombastic and embarrassing public personas.

-PXG-

What is the most sad is that bullshit "twitter feuds" like this will get more attention than the quality reporting and writing that many gaming journalists are producing using less bombastic and embarrassing public personas.

Everyone wants to be the next Doritos pope.

MC Safety

I can dismiss the showman stuff: the walking around with the belt and the clownshoes carnival barker persona. I guess you need that to entertain the masses.

When one bag of freebies isn't enough, when your greed takes over and you're -- there's no other word for it -- stealing multiple tchotchke bags and calling people you don't like terrible names, well, then you've crossed the line. That stuff is unforgivable.

Mesoian

Well...it will this weekend where half the country is snowed in.

Top Bottom