• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marcus Beer vs ECA Ambassador "Hip Hop Gamer" Twitter feud

JDSN

Banned
I personally loved the most the part in which one of them tried to involve Geoff in this, kinda in a way to let the master of all doritos to settle this dispute between warring clans of shills.

legacyzero

Banned
I personally loved the most the part in which one of them tried to involve Geoff in this, kinda in a way to let the master of all doritos to settle this dispute between warring clans of shills.

Geoff:
nPm2M.gif

Zeal

Banned
Does someone like HiP HOp GAmUH really get sent free games to review? If so, we got a problem here. Sounds like a fucking AOL screen name back in the day.

KissVibes

Banned
HipHopGamer is a clown and every organization that supports him loses my respect.

EGM gave him his own shitty corner, he got his own space in PS Home, and he lies all the time. There was a video he posted on N4G once that said DJ Hero 2 was going to have Project Natal support, it didn't and I told him as someone who KNEW it didn't and I was called a "hater" and he pulled that "You stay blessed" shit on me. He constantly pulled those gotcha headlines on N4G and when he got banned after months of public outcry he pulled that "I'm hated because I'm black" card and refused to acknowledge that nope, he's just a moron.

The reason game companies love him, Sony especially, is because he's a free mouthpiece that will sound whatever horn they put in his hands. Some of you might say "Well, lol games media so who cares?" Well fucking you should. He's an embarrassment and as an ECA ambassador he does nothing but further the agenda that video games are for children and adult men that act like juveniles. It's disgusting thinking that he might appear on a nationally syndicated news program to defend the games industry or what have you.

Does someone like HiP HOp GAmUH really get sent free games to review? If so, we got a problem here. Sounds like a fucking AOL screen name back in the day.

He gets more than games. He gets invited to events and shit all the time.

"Journalistic Integrity" In a conversation about Video Game Journalist ignoring both parties this in itself is classic.

But from thumbing through this both of these guys suck and needs to change their way of thinking.

Oersted

Credits from LinkedIn Profile:

Writer at AnnoyedGamer.com (2008 — November 2009)
Freelance Producer / Panelist - Gametrailers.com at MTV Networks (March 2008 — November 2009)
Host / Writer / Producer, at Annoyed Gamer on www.livevideo.com (July 2008 — November 2008)
Host / Writer / Producer at Vlaze.com (September 2007 — January 2008)
Senior Global PR Manager at Vivendi Games / Sierra Entertainment (April 2005 — February 2007)
PR Manager at Novalogic (March 2002 — April 2005)
PR Manager at Ubisoft (April 2001 — April 2002)
Product Manager at Red Storm Entertainment (April 2000 — April 2001)
PR Manager at Blue Byte (1997 — 1999)
PR Manager at Interactive Magic (1996 — 1997)

poetry

fvng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CKMU789yf4

Listen to this dude, he starts talking about how Ninja Gaiden 3 isn't as bad as the reviews say and there were personal attacks against it, so he starts his fucking arguments relaying shit a Koei-Tecmo employee told him!

holy shit

I found that funny as well, but I'm not clear on your claim of Marcus Beer being a shill when he makes some pretty brazen anti-corporate pro-consumer remarks. Not infrequently, but literally on a weekly basis on his show. I'm afraid you need to re-evaluate your understanding of the word shill.

HHG honestly makes me physically cringe when I watch any of his videos. I keep hoping he will just go away but apparently he is now a bar to measure our industry representatives.

No way someone like "Hip Hop Gamer" represents me. I'm a 30 year old working professional, I don't need morons like him showing the masses what kind of people gamers are. He's only going to further increase the mass media's perceived association of video games and youth delinquency. Get someone like Geoff Keighly, Adam Sessler, Daniel Kayser, or even Angry Joe. Not Hip Hop Gamer; the guy is a complete dolt.

Couldn't agree more.

Hip Hop Gamer is an embarrassment. I can't believe the ECA thought making him their 'brand ambassador' (whatever that means) was a good idea. Now I wonder if they'll backpeddle and kick him out or keep him out of stubbornness. Anyway I sent them a polite email questioning their decision, not that I think it'll do anything.

The Light

I always liked hip hop gamer. Guy loves what he does and is himself while doing it. As for him representing gamers why does it matter? He does not represent me, but neither does Adam Sessler, Geoff Keighley or any other journalist. The only person that represents me as a gamer is me.

I always liked hip hop gamer. Guy loves what he does and is himself while doing it. As for him representing gamers why does it matter? He does not represent me, but neither does Adam Sessler, Geoff Keighley or any other journalist. The only person that represents me as a gamer is me.

The fact that you listed these three as representative game journalists honestly made me a little sad.

Nokterian

fyi i never heard of this hiphop gamer..and that is good thing i guess. Reading through all the comments here i side to marcus,just because he is cool and speaks what needs to be said.

Fusebox

Banned
This guy sounds like a major dickhead but GOD BLESS HIM even though he sounds like a grade-A assclown GOD BLESS HIM.

Allow me to use this moment to say something i have felt about ECA and the industry in general...remember when the California games ban case was in supreme court ? i genuinely think their was a lot of scaremongering going around about the effects of the said ban, spearheaded by ECA itself.
Imo almost the kind of scaremongering you hear from gun nuts whenever anyone talks about gun control, which isn't wrong because in the end ECA is just a lobbying group and not a genuine representative of game industry

Don't kill me gaf

Jac_Solar

What would Ali G do?

Allow me to use this moment to say something i have felt about ECA and the industry in general...remember when the California games ban case was in supreme court ? i genuinely think their was a lot of scaremongering going around about the effects of the said ban, spearheaded by ECA itself.
Imo almost the kind of scaremongering you hear from gun nuts whenever anyone talks about gun control, which isn't wrong because in the end ECA is just a lobbying group and not a genuine representative of game industry

Don't kill me gaf

Well, if true, ECA was fighting for art and creativity.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
What's the big deal with hip hop gamer working with ECA? If people don't like him don't watch his videos or support him. It's not like he is killing anyone just doing his own thing. There are a lot of gaming "journalists" I don't like but rather than tear them down I ignore them.
What's the end goal here?

Can't N'Gai just represent us all? He's brilliant, well informed, not a fuckwad.

I'd have a beer with him.
N'Gai get a lot of hate here as well

Ha...good for Marcus.

What did he win?

Can't N'Gai just represent us all? He's brilliant, well informed, not a fuckwad.

N'Gai is pretty quick to throw around the "entitled" word and was a bit of a fuck during Doritos Gate.

There ARE people that would make a good ambassador of sorts...but Croal is not one of them.

What did he win?

He won an internet argument! Better...he won a Twitternet argument!

Truth - He exposed an asshole and he did it without using block capitals. Good on him.

fvng

What's the big deal with hip hop gamer working with ECA? If people don't like him don't watch his videos or support him. It's not like he is killing anyone just doing his own thing. There are a lot of gaming "journalists" I don't like but rather than tear them down I ignore them.
What's the end goal here?

Because ECA has selected him to be a representative/ambassador of gamers. ECA is a consumer advocacy group, and putting HHR out there to represent the organization casts their entire operation in a negative light. HHR throwing around words like 'faggot' at press events pretty much perpetuate the negative stereotype that a gamer is some teenager yelling obscenities and epithets over Xbox Live.

Despite the misguided insults being thrown at Marcus Beer by a select few in this thread, I'd actually say Beer is a best choice. Case in point: He attacked Visceral/EA for having $41 of Day One DLC/Microtransactions during a recent rant. That's pretty pro-consumer, which is exactly what the ECA's supposed mission statement is. I am actually surprised Gametrailers allow some of his rants to go live on the air since they are not exactly friendly towards publishers.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
After watching his video explaining his point a view, I'm still a fan. Most people would have the same reaction if some stranger told them to "shut the fuck up" out of the blue.

Squire

Banned
Despite the misguided insults being thrown at Marcus Beer by a select few in this thread, I'd actually say Beer is a best choice. Case in point: He attacked Visceral/EA for having $41 of Day One DLC/Microtransactions during a recent rant. That's pretty pro-consumer, which is exactly what the ECA's supposed mission statement is. I am actually surprised Gametrailers allow some of his rants to go live on the air since they are not exactly friendly towards publishers.

The "Beer seems just as bad" comments in this thread lack perspective entirely. Not a chance. Not even close.

Cassius

I remember stumbling upon HHG's "website" once and couldn't believe anyone would ever consider him credible.

Dude is a joke.

After watching his video explaining his point a view, I'm still a fan. Most people would have the same reaction if some stranger told them to "shut the fuck up" out of the blue.

does he explain why he uses anti-gay epithets? that's not the product of a particular point of view, it's just disrespectful and wrong.

KissVibes

Banned
I have begun receiving personal attacks from HHGs friends or whomever the fuck for tweets I made that weren't even directed at them. Why hasn't the ECA cut ties with this dude, again? This shit is embarassin'

Look at this fuckin' goober here: https://twitter.com/T_HILL0

Top Bottom