• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 2 [MGS4] playable on original PS3 Firmware (again)

Dremark

Banned
This is honestly amazing. I will have to hop on at least a little for old time's sake.

Edit: Nevermind, I overlooked the custom firmware part when I first saw this thread.

That's awesome.

A couple years ago, I did go to the trouble to setup a PS2 emulator with the proper manipulations to play the snake eater MGO1 iteration on custom servers, and it was really cool to go back to the classic... Bug MGO2 was the real deal, so many memories, such depth and coolness. Arguably my favorite online game in a long time. From the character customisation , to the survival mode, instructor mode, the maps, the tournaments, the singing, the unique characters... Loved it to no end.

The only reason that kept me from using it on ps3 was the custom firmware situation, but if that's fixed, I'll be the first to enlist.

And yes, MGO3 was quite the dissapointement compared ot MGO2 in pretty much all regards.

The only thing I disliked about this is that I wasn't able to host a game and almost everyone else could. Because my router had no UPnP or whatever.

Sakujou

Banned
cfw is only available for ps3fat and slim, right? i dont want to flash my ps3, i would buy a super slim, only for cfw reasons, other than that, this news is amazing.

NoFoX

The only thing I disliked about this is that I wasn't able to host a game and almost everyone else could. Because my router had no UPnP or whatever.

Yes, you have to enable UPnP and forward some ports.
It's a small issue, no worries!

cfw is only available for ps3fat and slim, right? i dont want to flash my ps3, i would buy a super slim, only for cfw reasons, other than that, this news is amazing.

And that's it, you DON'T need a CFW to play MGO2!
It's back on OFW now.

I pray its true, I had probably 2000+ hours in MGO. Team Sneak and Sneaking were my all time favorite modes in a game ever. MGO3 just felt like a half assed attempt to me.

If the community came back and were active I would spend so many hours in it again

Saladinoo

I really regret that I didn't have fast enough internet back then to play MGO properly. The parts I did play around a friend's house were great, seemed like one of the few online shooters I would actually enjoy.

Could Sony ban us for this? I'd very much like to go back to MGO2, since MGO3 was a bit of a disappointment (well at launch anyway, didnt try since then) but if my account or my console can be banned I don't think I will :/

This is honestly amazing. I will have to hop on at least a little for old time's sake.

Edit: Nevermind, I overlooked the custom firmware part when I first saw this thread.

It doesn't need CFW to play it. The news is that it can work on OFW now.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Goddamn is this real life o_o

Fucking loved me some MGO2.

Does this mean we have access to all the reward shop bullshit for free???

NoFoX

Goddamn is this real life o_o

Fucking loved me some MGO2.

Does this mean we have access to all the reward shop bullshit for free???

Theoretical: Yes
Because we do have full access to any item in the reward shop at CFW too, so nothing changes with OFW.
With the 1.36 keys they even can change the skills and weapon prices (DPs).

Jawmuncher

I remember when there was a ranking thing for teams or something. Every team was like "serious players only". I had the only group that said "all player welcome"

Drencrom

Because we do have full access to any item in the reward shop at CFW too, so nothing changes with OFW.

So, have they said anything about unlocking everything for all players? That would be a great incentive for people to just jump in and play.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I'd assume it'd be like the last month or so, where everyone got everything unlocked.

Praise da lawd!

NoFoX

So, have they said anything about unlocking everything for all players? That would be a great incentive for people to just jump in and play.

Ever since everything was unlocked from the beginning @ MGO2R, you never had to spend RWDs to get something.
I don't see and think they will change it, there's just no reason :)

Drencrom

That's awesome.

A couple years ago, I did go to the trouble to setup a PS2 emulator with the proper manipulations to play the snake eater MGO1 iteration on custom servers, and it was really cool to go back to the classic... Bug MGO2 was the real deal, so many memories, such depth and coolness. Arguably my favorite online game in a long time. From the character customisation , to the survival mode, instructor mode, the maps, the tournaments, the singing, the unique characters... Loved it to no end.

The only reason that kept me from using it on ps3 was the custom firmware situation, but if that's fixed, I'll be the first to enlist.

And yes, MGO3 was quite the dissapointement compared ot MGO2 in pretty much all regards.

Oh man, how could I forget the instructor mode. Such a creative and awesome mode where you and other players could screw around a bit, take/give orders and train CQC etc.

But yeah, MGO2 really has a lot of charm and features that no other MP have replicated. I just jumped back and some played a couple of hours of MGO3 now and it's just lacking in comparison.

Ever since everything was unlocked from the beginning @ MGO2R, you never had to spend RWDs to get something.
I don't see and think they will change it, there's just no reason :)

Great to hear!

Alienous

I might actually hop on.

MGO2 was great. CQC disarming people. Using enemies as a human shield (not all that effective but when you pull it off it's so worth it). Boosting allies up to parts of the map.

It was awesome.

fvng

It's sad that these measure are being taken because Konani won't just keep servers online

What would be the monthly maintainence and costs associated for keeping game servers online for a very small player base?

Foxxsoxx

This is totally awesome, the only bad thing is I don't have a PS3 anymore but I will find a way, the online while totally flawed was a gem in terms of gameplay, skill, and customization.

I have a stock PS3 fat boy sitting in a closet, how much time/effort will it take to make all this work when available?

*I'm familiar with flashing/unlocking/etc devices*

How long has it been there? The update to block CFW came in 2011 and there have been no further exploits.

You can do a downgrade, but at that point it becomes a ton of effort as you have to open your PS3 and solder some wires.

NoFoX

How long has it been there? The update to block CFW came in 2011 and there have been no further exploits.

You can do a downgrade, but at that point it becomes a ton of effort as you have to open your PS3 and solder some wires.

No, no, no!
We can play MGO2 on original firmware consoles in april!
Do NOT downgrade or CFW your console, there's no need for it.

I have a stock PS3 fat boy sitting in a closet, how much time/effort will it take to make all this work when available?

*I'm familiar with flashing/unlocking/etc devices*

Probably a shit load of effort since reading the OP is too much for you, lol.

All you will need is a USB flashdrive with enough space for the backup (about 6GB, may increase later), and a copy of NA MGS4 or EU MGS4.

Banzai

Well then, I guess I'll have to get my PS3 back from my brother.
On that note, does this work with dualshock 4?

Top Bottom