• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 2 [MGS4] playable on original PS3 Firmware (again)

MGO standalone is going for approx $20 on Amazon/eBay, so it might be a good idea to grab it soon in case the revival causes the price to rise. Not sure if it will, of course.

E-flux

Mgo2 might have been my favorite online shooter, the tick rate was so bad and some of the exploits were the worst but when it worked it was so much fun. Mgo3 was a huge letdown in pretty much every way for me. I loved just training people and watching them graduating from my training server, the game had a lot of little quirks that gave it a lot of charm.

Played a bit over the weekend and have had a blast, it's nice to go back after 5 years, especially since I though I'd never get to play it again.

I think I'm going to hit up a pawn shop and grab a PS3 just to turn it into an MGO2 machine. I don't want to fiddle with my old PS3's data. Too much of an effort lol

Jayveer

still region Locked on OFW tho right ?

and wasn't there a different standalone that came out in Asia ?

if i recall AU players are locked to EU severs which is really laggy

would be better connecting to severs in US west / some of the japan severs out there

No, there is no region lock on this server, it's possible to join with anyone from any region, but yes as you mentioned if you do join someone that's NA for example and you're EU it might be a bit laggy for you as the game is P2P. The only differences in the versions here is if you use an NA disc you don't get spectator can when you die in one life modes as NA had some licensing rights about it.

No, there is no region lock on this server, it's possible to join with anyone from any region, but yes as you mentioned if you do join someone that's NA for example and you're EU it might be a bit laggy for you as the game is P2P. The only differences in the versions here is if you use an NA disc you don't get spectator can when you die in one life modes as NA had some licensing rights about it.

No region lock on OFW firmware you Say ? :/ im nether in the EU or the US but the problem is back when this came out i could only join EU games and nothing else really .......

i throught you couldnt swap regions tho simply by swapping Discs ...............

No region lock on OFW firmware you Say ? :/ im nether in the EU or the US but the problem is back when this came out i could only join EU games and nothing else really .......

i throught you couldnt swap regions tho simply by swapping Discs ...............

It's a custom private server, they've probably done some tricks to let all game versions do matchmaking with each other.

Dambrosi

Banned
So I hear there's supposed to be a tutorial for this for OFW users coming soon, right? But if I wanted to play now, I'd have to reset my old MGO2 data, right? So what else do I have to do to play? I have the OG EU physical version.

Jayveer

So I hear there's supposed to be a tutorial for this for OFW users coming soon, right? But if I wanted to play now, I'd have to reset my old MGO2 data, right? So what else do I have to do to play? I have the OG EU physical version.

It's possible to do this now and there is a tutorial to do so , as you have the original disc that's all you need, you just have to bare in mind that in order to do this all the data that is currently on your ps3 will be wiped. The tutorial is here:

https://savemgo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=471

Soodanim

MGS4 online was great fun, and I rarely spent time online outside of FPS games. I have to respect the determination of people that made this happen.

Quan

Just completed everything to be able to play MGO2 super easy stuff.

the servers are currently down though.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
I've heard the PS3 emulator is making huge progress ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) maybe one day I can play MGO2 on my pc..

-Deimos

Åesop;245586750 said:
I've heard the PS3 emulator is making huge progress ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) maybe one day I can play MGO2 on my pc..

Going back to a controller after years with a mouse is a terrible experience. I'm just as bad as when I first started MGO2.

Foxxsoxx

Ugh I need a ps3 again...

It would be a dream come true if they remastered MGS4 1080 60FPS... Fixed netcode for MGO sweet Jesus...

Ugh I need a ps3 again...

It would be a dream come true if they remastered MGS4 1080 60FPS... Fixed netcode for MGO sweet Jesus...

Yeah. Probably the only downside of going back to MGO2 is the FPS. The graphics and resolution is fine, and the frame rate is fine too when it's sticking around 30. But sometimes you aim and it just drops to about 15FPS or lower. Slideshow territory.

I don't even want a remake. Just something that plays similar, but with more balance than AR2 Runner 2 with the M4 Custom, would be fantastic.

There's absolutely nothing that satisfies the same itch, and it's such a shame. Just a really slow paced multiplayer, to the point where you would text chat on a console shooter and have time to do so.

Foxxsoxx

Yeah. Probably the only downside of going back to MGO2 is the FPS. The graphics and resolution is fine, and the frame rate is fine too when it's sticking around 30. But sometimes you aim and it just drops to about 15FPS or lower. Slideshow territory.

Yeah I remember some maps were really bad with it. Mostly GG and WW for me. Especially WW.

Top Bottom