• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One leading sales in US since price cut, nearly 10 million sold-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

Abdiel posted a little about his month so far.
So with all the commentary on the XB1 increases due to the drop in price, and the speculation associated with that, I figured I'd let you guys know what it has looked like this week.

There was a veritable... well, explosion is a bit hyperbolic, but as soon as the price drop hit, we had a pretty drastic increase in XB1 sales. First day and forward, with the CoD launch as well, sold a bunch of the various bundles. But even just the last two days, that rush has tapered off significantly, and while still better than last month's pace, it isn't outselling the PS4 anymore. They're pretty close now, with just that rush of systems putting it ahead for the month so far.

We're getting rumors/whispers from corporate about Sony's intentions for the PS4, bundling, etc. but I honestly avoid speculating on any of that, especially since I know that Best Buy corporate does indeed allow false rumors to spread in various stores to try and pinpoint leakers. I don't really see a clear way to call this month yet, even with the MCC. This is probably the first month where I really think things will be interesting. There's too much up in the air, and I don't think you guys realize exactly how insane Black Friday and the weekend following are. Last year one store sold more consoles on BF than 3 combined months of year leading up to that point.

MS has screwed up by not having lots of white Xbone Sunset Overdrive bundles out there for $349. That bundle would move a lot of units.

The AssCreed x 2 bundle is doing well though.

They should do another "Buy a Xbone and get 1 disc-based game free" right after GTA V comes out so they could have an effective GTA V bundle. (Just like they did when Destiny came out.)

Rurunaki

Can you explain where I am wrong? I'm a PS4 owner BTW.

Well for one, your logic assumes that ps4 sales halted when xb1 bundles were made public. Another is assuming people have not taken Black friday into account when it comes to purchasing their system - the only bundle that was literally out of stock was the SO Bundle (which I bought) and that was in itself limited. Also take into account that there are still Destiny bundles out in the wild and contrary to GAF belief, he game is doing pretty well.

vesvci

Banned
But PS4 chances of winning November are pretty much zero, If MS sold better since the price cut and Sony's only reaction are some black Friday bundles that only last for 2 days, how they will sell more?

It seems to me Sony don't or can't afford to compete with MS when it come to prices, they just want to get through the holidays with minimum damage and hopefully keep dominates 2015.

XQuppVZ.jpg

I don't know man, PS4s are still selling very well. I took his pic at best buy when I was picking up some accs. Stock levels are very different.This was after the XBO price cut.

This thread is amazing.

I fully expect microsoft to win November and shout it from the roof tops like they won the World championship.

The truth is they have been beaten every month this year and even if they do "win" nov it won't be by enough to really make a dent in Sony's lead.

I like the changes the brand has displayed this year and if the price keeps dropping I will get one next year for Halo 5.

Maybe

Massa

Actually, you lose in that situation. You were always getting the game, but in paying to deny PlayStation customers access to it MS has wasted money they could have spent developing new original games, developing new software features or generally improving the Xbox ecosystem.

This isn't true. Microsoft's money is going to fund a better Tomb Raider, just like Sony's money is funding a better No Man's Sky, or a better Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, or dozens of other games that signed an exclusivity window with Playstation.

omonimo

Banned
This isn't true. Microsoft's money is going to fund a better Tomb Raider, just like Sony's money is funding a better No Man's Sky, or a better Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, or dozens of other games that signed an exclusivity window with Playstation.
Please not this bullshit again.

stryke

XQuppVZ.jpg

I don't know man, PS4s are still selling very well. I took his pic at best buy when I was picking up some accs. Stock levels are very different.This was after the XBO price cut.

Without showing pictures of this over time, I think it's naive to make a conclusion like that. How do we know if stock on PS4 is just limited?
Was the pile of PS4s evenly as big before?
Or did that store just recently get some new XB1 stock in?

Cavalier

Banned
Price cut is only for NA. I'm going to say right now that MS is going to win November hands down. Worldwide? Hard to say. Probably neck and neck rather than 2:1.

Boke1879

The games were going to be made the same way regardless. All that's being paid for is the timed exclusivity of it

Skeff

Well the guy I replied to was saying that PS4 had GTA & LBP bundles in the last two weeks of Nov.
I was just telling him that the deal didn't start until BF.

But yeah...I expect the deals for PS4 & X1 to both sell out (though X1 might have more stock so who knows?), but even if they don't, I wouldn't count on being able to get the same $400/$330 price on them after the BF weekend.

I wasn't saying that they will be for the entirety of the two weeks, I was pointing out the big hitters of MS/Sony are targeted to different halves of the month, let's take a look at releases that will likely impact on Novembers NPD:

Sunset Overdrive Oct 28th - XB1 exclusive + Bundle in new color
XB1 Pricecut Nov 2nd
CoD Nov 4th - XB1 marketing deal + bundle
AC:Unity Nov 11th - XB1 marketing deal + bundle
Halo:MCC Nov 11th - XB1 exclusive + bundle
Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 18th - XB1 marketing deal
LBP3 Nov 18th - PS4 exclusive
Far Cry 4 Nov 18th - PS4 Marketing deal
GTAV Nov 18th - PS4 Marketing deal
Black Friday Bundles (GTAV) Nov 28th - PS4 marketing + Bundle

Like I said I'd expect the month to be very much a month of two halves, what that means I don't know, maybe it just means XB1 doesn't outsell PS4 as much in the second half maybe it means PS4 sells more the second half, Either way MS have thrown everything at early November and they should expect to sell more consoles those two weeks, However come November 18th onwards, perhaps things may change, I'd be surprised if they didn't, feel free to point out anything I missed for either console that could impact NPD

Gurish

Well, they said the sold more the week of the price cut. This is totally expected, because they announced the price cut a week beforehand, so sales would have dropped significantly.

People waited to buy after the price drop, so they might have sold more than PS4 that week, so their statement could be true while still selling less overall over the month.
They've been selling better for 2 weeks, and they are having some killer BF deals as well, there is no reason why they wont keep their momentum, Sony should have offered a GTA5 bundle not only for BF- should have been for most of November in order to counter MS's deals.

Rurunaki

This thread is amazing.

I fully expect microsoft to win November and shout it from the roof tops like they won the World championship.

The truth is they have been beaten every month this year and even if they do "win" nov it won't be by enough to really make a dent in Sony's lead.

I like the changes the brand has displayed this year and if the price keeps dropping I will get one next year for Halo 5.

Maybe

I expect the media to go from "Don't read too much into it" to "Return of the King" if MS wins November.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom