• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One leading sales in US since price cut, nearly 10 million sold-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you gonna tell me now what I prefer in tastes?

At least I can snap something. Achievement and friends is actually faster than PS4.

But I own both for their games. Both have great games and that should be enough for gamers.

Not really, in fact I'd say friends are faster on PS4, as well as parties. Trophues are also faster unless they have to sync. Snapping is so slow to load

well SO, AC:U bundle and MCC in the first two weeks, GTAV bundle and LBP3 in the last two weeks of Nov, A month of two halves would certainly make sense.

EDIT: of course the CoD bundle is the first two weeks as well and then the Farcry bundle is the last two weeks.

What?
Sony has not announced anything other than their two Black Friday only bundles which will be a choice between TLOU+GTA, or LBP+LEGO games.

Skeff

What?
Sony has not announced anything other than their two Black Friday only bundles which will be a choice between TLOU+GTA, or LBP+LEGO games.

I mean Lbp3 is yet to be released in the month, not that it will be bundled with GTA V. But yes a GTA V bundle is confirmed to hit stores later this month. The point is still quite clear, MS have gone all in at the start of this month and Sony have been holding things back for the second half.

Bgamer90

Banned
So what would cause bigger meltdowns next month?

PS4 wins or MS wins NPD for November?

A big gap

Agree. A huge gap between the two (e.g.: 200K+) would be far more surprising. I do think at this current time that the Xbox will get November but I don't think it will be by that much.

What the hell happened to this thread?

Warz. One of the side effects of sales info/discussion here,

Synth

Your forgetting how old some of these studios are ,yes they make 1 IP each gen but did a lot of other stuff which shows they can change things up if they need to .
ND has made kart racing game to TPS games , SP start with platformers now the making open world games and now Sony other teams getting a chance to do something new.
Then there also SCEJ if you want all out variety , when it comes to making new IP ND is not anomaly in SCE WWS.
I mean you say Platinum has variety when most of there games are action-adventures .

I'm not forgetting how old the studios are, I just don't think it's of any real importance. To me, it's not that different from picking a favourite football team as a child and supporting them as their roster and performance changes over the years. Making Crash Bandicoot games a decade ago doesn't mean much to me in the face of three back to back Uncharteds. At the end of the day, it's the people that make the games, and I don't think it matters much what label they fall under, or even if they mix and merge. Doesn't matter if you're not Clover anymore when you're making Bayonetta, and it doesn't really matter if you're not Bizarre Creations, or Sega Racing Studio, or Codemasters when you're making Forza Horizon. Conversely it doesn't matter if you're still Bungie when you make Destiny, or if you're still Team Ninja when you make Ninja Gaiden 3. Or of course, if you become Big Red Button. At that point, you're basically dead to me, lol.

As for the Platinum games stuff. Yea, their focus is on action games. However, when I talk about similarities between something like Uncharted and TLOU, or Quantum Break and Alan Wake... I mean like, I could imagine a rather impressive mod turning one into the other. I can literally imagine playing as Nathan in TLOU, aiming as him and melee'ing as him. Same thing with Alan in Quantum Break. Each has variations in their mechanics, but the base templates are essentially the same. Now, if I started trying to picture what needs to be changed to turn Bayonetta into Vanquish into Anarchy Reigns, then there's a whole lot more different between the games. Despite the shared universe, I felt a larger difference playing Mad World and Anarchy Reigns, than I did Uncharted and TLOU.

And by anomaly, I meant releasing game after game, that people consider amongst the greatest, not simply making different games (which I wouldn't class ND of doing a whole lot of tbh). Like, if Rare were a Sony studio, Naughty Dog would still be an anomaly.

Didn't Media Molecule just release a novel, critically-acclaimed IP? Rest of your point is fine, but MM is a gem.

I had actually forgotten about Tearaway. I don't have a Vita, so sometimes I lose track of what goes on over there. That being said though, it does provide an answer to the question of what PS4 game I'm likely to pick up next.

People are already in a tizzy. Now, imagine the meltdowns if the xbone actually manages to outsell the ps4 with the price cut.
Surprising exactly no one? How quickly people forget it outselling PS4 last December and February in NPD.

The world didn't blow up then, it won't blow up next month either if XBO pulls a November win.

I'd also argue that they're output doesn't actually vary that much. TLOU shares much in common with Uncharted, much like something like Quantum Break shares much in common with Alan Wake. Most of Sony's prominent studios are primarily encapsulated by a specific IP. For Santa Monica, there's God of War, for Media Molecule it's LittleBigPlanet. For Polyphony there's Gran Turismo. Guerilla has Killzone and Evolution was Motorstorm. Now the last two have branched out recently with Evolution doing Driveclub (I have my own opinions about how well that worked out, but that's another topic), and Guerilla has their new RPG IP. But the point stands that they had a single IP focus for essentially the entire prior gen. Even Naughty Dog had three back to back Uncharteds before creating TLOU. None of the studios variety is really comparable to say the Platinum Game projects under Sega, or even Rare's output last gen to be honest. The variety comes mostly from different studios making games within their areas of expertise.
I will agree with some of this; Polyphony is maybe the most guilty of it tho. They have two well-and-good IP in Omega Boost and Motor Toon they've yet to touch since GT hit it big, and the convenient excuse w/ some people is they shouldn't b/c those games don't make the big money. You'll have to excuse me if I care a bit more about diversity and creativity in my games instead of just going with the sure bets every single time, and it's quite obvious PD has the talent to branch out more than they have. And at some point, you have to stop using "but there's no market for them" as an excuse; there's always a market for something. Always.

Unfortunately I'm still not quite so certain we're going to see the vast amount of first-party diversity on PS4 or XBO that we saw in their predecessors, or on the PS1. There's lots of reasons for that though. MS might have a slight bigger incentive b/c the Xbox brand has more to lose w/ core gamers, but if the usual big guns do as well as usual or better, I see a lot of w/e vanity projects they would've done, going out the window. Sony's got Japan Studio for their more expressive output (like Tomorrow Children; love what I'm seeing on that so far), and maybe GG, but that's about all I can see of any 1st parties taking massive creative gambles this gen, regularly, on their end.

I kinda feel w/e ND's new IP is going to be, it'll probably be thematically similar to UnCharted and TLOU, likely in the same general genre too. I can already picture Channing Tatum as the reference lead.

Bgamer90

Banned
Surprising exactly no one? How quickly people forget it outselling PS4 last December and February in NPD.

The world didn't blow up then, it won't blow up next month either if XBO pulls a November win.

It was just December. PS4 won February but it wasn't by that much at all -- smaller gap than many expected.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

Have you not been reading this thread? Have you not seen the faux outrage at Microsoft's unfair business practice ie. Price cut? Did you not read the posts about Microsoft duping poor consumers with their inferior product/fire sale.

cgcg

Have you not been reading this thread? Have you not seen the faux outrage at Microsoft's unfair business practice ie. Price cut? Did you not read the posts about Microsoft duping poor consumers with their inferior product/fire sale.

I don't think anyone is saying the fire sale is an unfair practice, just a desperate one.

Ursiform

Banned
Nothing like some potentially good Microsoft news to show Gaffers true colors.

hSghXZF.jpg

I mean Lbp3 is yet to be released in the month, not that it will be bundled with GTA V. But yes a GTA V bundle is confirmed to hit stores later this month. The point is still quite clear, MS have gone all in at the start of this month and Sony have been holding things back for the second half.

You sure the GTA bundle is for the US? I haven't seen it listed anywhere online, and it is not in any of the BF adds....

If it's sold to stores it means nothing really. My work got 20 Xbones in last week and so far we have sold 2. Curious to see how this month plays out though.
Interesting...

how well is it selling compared to last month?

and how is it doing in comparison to ps4 & Wii U?

Also, where do you work?

Chobel

So your point is that some people will have meltdown? No shit Sherlock! Of course there will be some people not accepting the idea of Sony losing November NPD, but these people present the minority.

He's asking about what will cause bigger meltdowns not what people expect to happen.

Meltdowns normally happen at the unexpected. The X1 winning one month in NA would be neotger u expected nor even significant given what they've had to do. It wouldn't be cause for meltdown.

The PS4 winning would be a big upset, as it's not really expected.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yeah, that's the one i was talking about, it is Black Friday only.
Sony is betting hard on BF, but that does not count as the last two weeks of Nov.
It says it is while supplies last. Not that it will only be sold on Black Friday and any unsold stock gets shipped back, which I assume you must mean by "Black Friday only."

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Yeah, that's the one i was talking about, it is Black Friday only.
Sony is betting hard on BF, but that does not count as the last two weeks of Nov.

Did XBO really sell that well? I mean, the biggest titles that Microsoft has launched (CoD and Halo) and those are front loaded. Is two weeks of selling good really enough to put a dent into the PS4 momentum? Doubtful. Black Friday is just to put in some distance.

wapplew

Meltdowns normally happen at the unexpected. The X1 winning one month in NA would be neotger u expected nor even significant given what they've had to do. It wouldn't be cause for meltdown.

I think unless xbox close that 1m gap within nov and dec, there won't be much meltdown because PSX happen very close to nov NPD,
PS fans might swimming in megatons announcements already.

It says it is while supplies last. Not that it will only be sold on Black Friday and any unsold stock gets shipped back, which I assume you must mean by "Black Friday only."

Well the guy I replied to was saying that PS4 had GTA & LBP bundles in the last two weeks of Nov.
I was just telling him that the deal didn't start until BF.

But yeah...I expect the deals for PS4 & X1 to both sell out (though X1 might have more stock so who knows?), but even if they don't, I wouldn't count on being able to get the same $400/$330 price on them after the BF weekend.

Gurish

But PS4 chances of winning November are pretty much zero, If MS sold better since the price cut and Sony's only reaction are some black Friday bundles that only last for 2 days, how they will sell more?

It seems to me Sony don't or can't afford to compete with MS when it come to prices, they just want to get through the holidays with minimum damage and hopefully keep dominates 2015.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
So your point is that some people will have meltdown? No shit Sherlock! Of course there will be some people not accepting the idea of Sony losing November NPD, but these people present the minority.

I was answering a question about meltdowns. As to your comment about them being the minority I never said otherwise. What is your point guy?

But PS4 chances of winning November are pretty much zero, If MS sold better since the price cut and Sony's only reaction are some black Friday bundles that only last for 2 days, how they will sell more?

It seems to me Sony don't or can't afford to compete with MS when it come to prices, they just want to get through the holidays with minimum damage and hopefully keep dominates 2015.

The $399 PS4 bundle is more than enough competition.

It's not necessarily that Sony can't, but rather that they just don't have to sink as low as MS to sell their system

Did XBO really sell that well? I mean, the biggest titles that Microsoft has launched (CoD and Halo) and those are front loaded. Is two weeks of selling good really enough to put a dent into the PS4 momentum? Doubtful. Black Friday is just to put in some distance.

Obviously not, but do keep in mind that one week in Nov. is bigger than the whole month of July....
If they can win the next two months, it could hurt the PS4 a little, but is very unlikely to catapult the X1 over the PS4 for any extended amount of time.

What you have here is a good example of the tortoise and the hair. The X1 will make up some ground this holiday, but if they want to win the US, they are going to need to compete all year around.

Mikey Jr.

So what would cause bigger meltdowns next month?

PS4 wins or MS wins NPD for November?

A Ms win is completely expected at this point. Doesn't matter how popular the ps4 is, you can't beat the absolutely Batshit insane Xbone deals.

Plus they have better holiday exclusives.

So ps4 winning would melt Neogaf. Because if Ms can't beat ps4 in Nov, it will never do it again.

Boke1879

Well the guy I replied to was saying that PS4 had GTA & LBP bundles in the last two weeks of Nov.
I was just telling him that the deal didn't start until BF.

But yeah...I expect the deals for PS4 & X1 to both sell out (though X1 might have more stock so who knows?), but even if they don't, I wouldn't count on being able to get the same $400/$330 price on them after the BF weekend.

I expect them to sell out as well but i'd be shocked if you still didn't see these bundles after BF

omonimo

Banned

Are you really serious? Damn microsoft PR work better than expected.

Boke1879

Against 350$ including bundles? Doesn't seems like it according to MS latest statement.

Don't put too much stock into PR spin.

I have no doubts the XB1 is selling VERY VERY well and could possible win Nov. but how many of these sales have been frontloaded?

How well is the PS4 still selling in comparison to the XB1?

BF counts for a HUGE chunk of shopping in the month. So we'll see where things stand after that. If I'm Sony I'm stuffing the channels with this PS4+GTAV+TLOU bundle

Can you explain where I am wrong? I'm a PS4 owner BTW.
Well, they said the sold more the week of the price cut. This is totally expected, because they announced the price cut a week beforehand, so sales would have dropped significantly for the week before.

People waited to buy after the price drop, so they might have sold more than PS4 that week, so their statement could be true while still selling less overall over the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom