• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One leading sales in US since price cut, nearly 10 million sold-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shahed

You mean besides getting to play the game? I could then easily say you and others have an "inferiority" complex since you like throwing out words like superiority when it's not even applicable. I mean if it doesn't matter, and you are gonna get the game anyway, why whine about XB1 or PS4 for that matter, getting timed exclusives or the like?
You'd be able to do the bolded anyway. Money hatting didn't grant you that benefit

I never brought the superiority complex up earlier. I only remembered it after your comment when you said it feels good playing something other people can't. What is that if not feeling better because other people can't, and therefore feeling superior in that instance?

These pointless console wars are mind numbing as they are. i'm not particularly interested in dealing with them, and these timed exclusive deals don't really affect me personally since I barely have time to play all the games I want to in the first place, never mind all these other games. The only thing i took issue was when you said MS moneyhatting more games would be a good thing. If you had said MS funding and creating more exclusives instead, this whole conversation (and further derailment of an already derailed thread!) wouldn't have happened.

Ask for more, not less :p

truth411

crystal_ball-193x300.jpg
Lol, seriously M.S. for the past several years operates pretty much from holiday to holiday, they even somewhat admit that. Sony releases there games throughout the year. It's been that way for awhile now, it's no secret.

Zephyrus

Banned
That's not what he's saying, he's made an investment to gain access to games he wants. If a company is making moves to secure content its none of the users concern about the ethics behind it of its a method that is widely accepted. And I assume his feelings is not to feed any complex but to reinforce the value of investment made.

if he cared about value he wouldn't have picked a console made by microsoft.

Do not want to throw any of the leakers under a bus, so PM the post if you can, but is this the actual number? Last I read estimates were between 170K and 190K
You're right; I got October mixed up with September. Just used to getting numbers in these things.

But I do remember XBO pushing about 280k in September, almost sure of it.

1: You are using the wrong number for Xbox One in October. It sold much less than that.

2: Sales "pace" is meaningless in November because it is completely distorted by Black Friday and, in this case, the price change spike in the first week. You can't just work out an average and multiply.

3: I don't believe sales tripled extended for 2 weeks. Let's say the weekly sales in October were 45k. We'll ignore the effect the early announcement of the price drop for the time being. When they say sales tripled, I believe that was only in the very next week. So first week in November would be 135K. After that it would have settled to a lower, stable pre-BF sales rate. Added together it is enough to have outsold he PS4 month to date, but for all we know the second week sales of PS4 could have been higher than the second week sales of Xbox One in November.

4: None of this is very meaningful because a sub-50K sales advantage right now will mean nothing after Black Friday week where 90% of the sales will happen in November.
Well it was pure guesswork on my end, never said it was a pro job. But that looks awfully low for a 2nd place console in the beginning of the holiday season with a $50 price drop. Even if it kept that pace, you're saying it'll only sell 540k for November. That's Saturn tier. I think it's safe to say XBO has been trending ahead of the Saturn at the very least, even if it shares many other similarities w/ that system.

But if 90% of all sales are on BF as you say, I guess it works out better. W/ your weekly average, if it does 315k in the first three weeks and then 486k on BF, for a total of....801k. Your number's actually higher than mine.

I'll admit I was using the wrong numbers to base things off, but using your numbers and logic doesn't nullify my general guess at November sales. In fact, it enhances it.

Pricing your product at a high enough loss can be viewed as anti-competitive and in some cases illegal. Sega accused Sony of this back in the PS1 days.
Lol yeah, price fixing. Didn't know Sega went there; knew Atari did. I think in some fair cases it CAN be illegal however, b/c it basically destroys the element of fair competition, i.e letting the quality of the products speak for themselves. If you've got 10 million and your opponent has 10 billion, your opponent can theoretically give their product away and subsidize the cost. You can't afford to do that unless you're willing to go bankrupt. That's when the role of money becomes far too much.

Another way to see it is comparable to politics; there are...were, ethical reasons Super PACs didn't exist for a long time; it makes the campaign more about the bank and what financial connections you have than about the quality of your campaign. You can simply outspend the opponent into submission and defeat. The sinister side of capitalism.

Synth

Let's look at 2015 lineup. There's nothing significant for the first 3/4 of the Year. I think M.S. Will be ok for the first 2 years on games (similar to the 360) after that things will get sparse and they will have pretty much nothing and operate primarily from holiday to holiday season. That's the problem when you don't have 1st and 2nd party studio's that Sony and Nintendo have. Also M.S. is absolutely not going to have the biggest market share this gen so Money hatting isn't going to be very viable the further along we move into this gen of consoles.

I actually don't think this is, or has ever actually been a significant issue. Overall I prefer MS' output over Sony's last gen, but when I consider the games really make up what I view as the core Xbox library, there's a whole lot not developed by Microsoft themselves (Project Gotham, Gears, Forza Horizon, recently Killer Instinct). The IPs are important to own, if you don't want the game appearing everywhere else, but the studios don't need to be internal.

If anything, I believe having external development helps to ensure that each project gets the best team for the job. Let's imagine Nintendo or Sony has the Killer Instinct IP right now. Which team do you give it to? Would they have been a better fit than Double Helix was? Many people threw their arms up when we found out that Rare wasn't developing the new KI game, but Double Helix made a better game than the Rare dream team of old likely had any chance of doing.

Not what I meant. Was talking about the comment about gamers not being bright.

Oh okay. Well, it's probably a combination of both that and rabid, hateful fanboyism.

]Yea, but I honestly think there are a decent number of posters that would rather a game not exist at all, rather than have it exist on a console other than their chosen one. I'm fucking grateful that Nintendo picked up Bayo 2, and purchased a Wii U once it was released in order to play it. If someone's upset that a game that's otherwise dead becomes exclusive to another console, then they're not fans of that game, and just want more shit to use in list wars.

On the other hand, if someone's glad that something like a Tomb Raider sequel, which was so obviously going to happen anyway, becomes exclusive... well... they also probably just want more shit to use in list wars.

No argument here. I'm in full agreement.

bigace33

if he cared about value he wouldn't have picked a console made by microsoft.

Ok, I see this is going the way of secret console wars. I don't have a dog in this fight so I'm out. I like all of the consoles and purchase them because I like the content they give me the option to buy. Carry on.

One quick question: how is Xbone selling compared to 360 at the moment? Worldwide. I've understood Xbone is going under 360 even though 360 was heavily sold-out.

Any graphs?

I actually don't think this is, or has ever actually been a significant issue. Overall I prefer MS' output over Sony's last gen, but when I consider the games really make up what I view as the core Xbox library, there's a whole lot not developed by Microsoft themselves (Project Gotham, Gears, Forza Horizon, recently Killer Instinct). The IPs are important to own, if you don't want the game appearing everywhere else, but the studios don't need to be internal.

If anything, I believe having external development helps to ensure that each project gets the best team for the job. Let's imagine Nintendo or Sony has the Killer Instinct IP right now. Which team do you give it to? Would they have been a better fit than Double Helix was? Many people threw their arms up when we found out that Rare wasn't developing the new KI game, but Double Helix made a better game than the Rare dream team of old likely had any chance of doing.

They could just make there own team.

One quick question: how is Xbone selling compared to 360 at the moment? Worldwide. I've understood Xbone is going under 360 even though 360 was heavily sold-out.

Any graphs?

Don't have a graph, but from what I remember:

Xbox One had a much stronger launch than the 360.
Xbox One has had lower sales throughout the year than the 360.
We only have sell in data for the Xbox One, not sell through, so it's impossible to actually compare which console was in more consumers homes.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Hear that in the distance? It's the faint, distant whir of Bish's lawnmower.

It's coming closer. This thread is a disaster.

Synth

They could just make there own team.

They could yea (or they could have bought Double Helix before Amazon did)... but that's kinda where I'm going with the whole "best team for each project" thing. If they bought that team, there's a very good chance that they'd not be much good for anything other than Killer Instinct (or at least another fighting game). A lot of people actually complain when MS does this too (Turn 10 for Forza, 343i for Halo, Lionhead for Fable, etc). As long as there are talented mercenary teams like Playground, Platinum, Remedy, Insomniac, Sumo, and others, that are available to take on projects as required, there's not really a requirement to own the studios themselves. Besides, you run the risk of buying another Rare, where nearly everyone that made the studio what it was doesn't hang around for long afterwards.

Basically my point is that not having a large collection of first party studios isn't the reason many people look at the tail end of the 360 negatively. It's that they don't like the Kinect projects that MS shifted much of their focus towards. Rare could have made something else in place of Kinect Sports. Harmonix could have made something instead of Dance Central. Whether the studios are internal or external, it's not really a barrier to constant software releases.

interestingly enough, most recent xbone ads have been saying "xbox one. now $50 off." previous its been saying "xbox one. now $349" and read "for a limited time"

i wonder why they changed it

It's like your intentionally ignoring the point that say for example tomb raider is coming regardless to Xbox one and spending say 8 or maybe even 9 figure money to DELAY the game on other platforms would be better spent on creating MORE and exclusive content for the Xbox one. Whether it's AAA games or more indie titles, X1 indie line up is falling fast behind PS4.

Just to play Devils advocate...

Could it also be said that the money paid to UBI in this case, pused the Xbox version ahead of schedule? If the dev knows that a game is going to be exclusive to the Xbox, and the PS4/PC versions are going to follow a year, or six months down the road, then it is safe for them to pause development on those versions, and devote their full resources to the lead platform.

They could yea (or they could have bought Double Helix before Amazon did)... but that's kinda where I'm going with the whole "best team for each project" thing. If they bought that team, there's a very good chance that they'd not be much good for anything other than Killer Instinct (or at least another fighting game). A lot of people actually complain when MS does this too (Turn 10 for Forza, 343i for Halo, Lionhead for Fable, etc). As long as there are talented mercenary teams like Playground, Platinum, Remedy, Insomniac, Sumo, and others, that are available to take on projects as required, there's not really a requirement to own the studios themselves. Besides, you run the risk of buying another Rare, where nearly everyone that made the studio what it was doesn't hang around for long afterwards.

Basically my point is that not having a large collection of first party studios isn't the reason many people look at the tail end of the 360 negatively. It's that they don't like the Kinect projects that MS shifted much of their focus towards. Rare could have made something else in place of Kinect Sports. Harmonix could have made something instead of Dance Central. Whether the studios are internal or external, it's not really a barrier to constant software releases.

I can understand your point but tell the truth i rather they buff up there first party , yeah you can run into risk like Rare but you can also grow them like ND.
Mercenary teams are good but i feel they should not be used all the time since you can run into problems .
What i don't like is having a team but they stuck making the same thing over and over if you don't give them a chance to make something else you can never know if they can be better.
I am hoping DD allow some teams to make some small games that they don't normal make for eg PD making something else other than GT .
Same can be said for Turn 10

adelante

It's like your intentionally ignoring the point that say for example tomb raider is coming regardless to Xbox one and spending say 8 or maybe even 9 figure money to DELAY the game on other platforms would be better spent on creating MORE and exclusive content for the Xbox one. Whether it's AAA games or more indie titles, X1 indie line up is falling fast behind PS4.

In his case though, he already has a PS4. Just knowing that Tomb Raider is coming sooner reinforces the value in his XOne simply because he has the ability play the game earlier if he so chooses. If he's looking for a wide variety of AAA or indie games then sweet, the PS4 is available to feed those exact needs. And I think quite a number of XOne-only owners feel the same way; they can't care less to wonder if much of the money used to divert or delay titles could be used to fund more exclusive games. They don't think beyond how each unique experience offered by their console just adds to the value of their console (and whether or not delaying of titles affect users on other platforms)

I own both of them and feel the opposite of what you have described now. Sluggish / messy/ old and slow I would call the PS4 interface. It takes forever to even sync the god dam trophies, Slow with messages, Browser sucks. If you open to taps the browser shuts down telling me that there isn't much memory.

Recent activity is messy, feels like cheap coupons.

I guess each to their own taste.
And that's the best part of it.

I don't think taste has anything to do with it. If you have an xbox with a fast UI I'd like to see it because snapping an app during a game or loading profiles or achievements is slow as all hell.

Synth

I can understand your point but tell the truth i rather they buff up there first party , yeah you can run into risk like Rare but you can also grow them like ND.
Mercenary teams are good but i feel they should not be used all the time since you can run into problems .
What i don't like is having a team but they stuck making the same thing over and over if you don't give them a chance to make something else you can never know if they can be better.
I am hoping DD allow some teams to make some small games that they don't normal make for eg PD making something else other than GT .
Same can be said for Turn 10

Yea, I don't think you should rely entirely on one or the other, and none of the three do really. The only real difference is the ratio employed by each.

I don't really agree much on the whole "growing internally as a team" thing though. Naughty Dog is often used as an example of many things, but people fail to realize that they're an anomaly, even within SWWS.

I'd also argue that they're output doesn't actually vary that much. TLOU shares much in common with Uncharted, much like something like Quantum Break shares much in common with Alan Wake. Most of Sony's prominent studios are primarily encapsulated by a specific IP. For Santa Monica, there's God of War, for Media Molecule it's LittleBigPlanet. For Polyphony there's Gran Turismo. Guerilla has Killzone and Evolution was Motorstorm. Now the last two have branched out recently with Evolution doing Driveclub (I have my own opinions about how well that worked out, but that's another topic), and Guerilla has their new RPG IP. But the point stands that they had a single IP focus for essentially the entire prior gen. Even Naughty Dog had three back to back Uncharteds before creating TLOU. None of the studios variety is really comparable to say the Platinum Game projects under Sega, or even Rare's output last gen to be honest. The variety comes mostly from different studios making games within their areas of expertise.

Yeah, well if xbone does outsell ps4 it won't really count because they've cheated with the fire sale on an inferior product.

Am I doing it right?

You're doing it all wrong. It counts so much that this generation and every previous generation will have been won because of it. November 2014 essentially decides the past decades and the decades to come. It's that powerful it can literally rewrite history.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yeah, well if xbone does outsell ps4 it won't really count because they've cheated with the fire sale on an inferior product.

Am I doing it right?
It counts as every other month in that it's an arbitrary metric that is used for PR battles.

If Microsoft wins they will not have to spin the numbers they are obviously embarrassed about in any capacity. So that will be good if one suffers from fremdschaemen.

If they don't win, then it comma will rise again and I can't predict what will happen but the simulations on what can be done in 140 characters are already in full gear.

Yea, I don't think you should rely entirely on one or the other, and none of the three do really. The only real difference is the ratio employed by each.

I don't really agree much on the whole "growing internally as a team" thing though. Naughty Dog is often used as an example of many things, but people fail to realize that they're an anomaly, even within SWWS.

I'd also argue that they're output doesn't actually vary that much. TLOU shares much in common with Uncharted, much like something like Quantum Break shares much in common with Alan Wake. Most of Sony's prominent studios are primarily encapsulated by a specific IP. For Santa Monica, there's God of War, for Media Molecule it's LittleBigPlanet. For Polyphony there's Gran Turismo. Guerilla has Killzone and Evolution was Motorstorm. Now the last two have branched out recently with Evolution doing Driveclub (I have my own opinions about how well that worked out, but that's another topic), and Guerilla has their new RPG IP. But the point stands that they had a single IP focus for essentially the entire prior gen. Even Naughty Dog had three back to back Uncharteds before creating TLOU. None of the studios variety is really comparable to say the Platinum Game projects under Sega, or even Rare's output last gen to be honest. The variety comes mostly from different studios making games within their areas of expertise.

Your forgetting how old some of these studios are ,yes they make 1 IP each gen but did a lot of other stuff which shows they can change things up if they need to .
ND has made kart racing game to TPS games , SP start with platformers now the making open world games and now Sony other teams getting a chance to do something new.
Then there also SCEJ if you want all out variety , when it comes to making new IP ND is not anomaly in SCE WWS.
I mean you say Platinum has variety when most of there games are action-adventures .

KoopaTheCasual

Didn't Media Molecule just release a novel, critically-acclaimed IP? Rest of your point is fine, but MM is a gem.

EGM1966

interestingly enough, most recent xbone ads have been saying "xbox one. now $50 off." previous its been saying "xbox one. now $349" and read "for a limited time"

i wonder why they changed it
At a guess I'd say "now $50 off" more clearly defines the price drop whereas the former assumes the consumer knows the reduction the new price delivers: hence they changed for it clarity to make sure the message "you're saving $50 dollars" is obvious.

Klocker

At a guess I'd say "now $50 off" more clearly defines the price drop whereas the former assumes the consumer knows the reduction the new price delivers: hence they changed for it clarity to make sure the message "you're saving $50 dollars" is obvious.

yep. especially considering that sadly, a large majority of people can not or do not want to do math. $50 clearly defines their savings, $349 makes people have to position a value in their heads.

Any graphs?

Not sure, but I think XB 360 sold about 6M from launch date to launch date.
Maybe 8M units by the end of 2006.

XB1 is estimated to be 6.5-7M range right now, but we know for sure it has sold around 3650k Units in the US alone (end of October), and sold 100k in china at launch.

Darknight

Nothing like some potentially good Microsoft news to show Gaffers true colors.

Lots of trolling happening on both fronts. The PS4 threads are filled with trolls too. ("If you care about specs, get a PC" dismissing the console is so stupid) Its getting really tiring.

On topic, xbone has to win November. They have the cheapest SKU with TV ads to boot. I seriously expect it to surpass PS4 at this point. But I must say GTA5 still has selling power so it could go either way just that MS has a slight price advantage.

Detective

I don't think taste has anything to do with it. If you have an xbox with a fast UI I'd like to see it because snapping an app during a game or loading profiles or achievements is slow as all hell.

So you gonna tell me now what I prefer in tastes?

At least I can snap something. Achievement and friends is actually faster than PS4.

But I own both for their games. Both have great games and that should be enough for gamers.

Well we know it won week 1+2.

If week 3+4 does not completely reverse we already know the outcome.

BF is a really big variable though, and that is why people are discussing this so much. BF sales are usually bigger than the entire month of October.

Also, we only know they won one week in November. The two weeks they were referring to were the last week of Oct. NPD, and the first week of Nov. NPD.

Skeff

Well we know it won week 1+2.

If week 3+4 does not completely reverse we already know the outcome.

well SO, AC:U bundle and MCC in the first two weeks, GTAV bundle and LBP3 in the last two weeks of Nov, A month of two halves would certainly make sense.

EDIT: of course the CoD bundle is the first two weeks as well and then the Farcry bundle is the last two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom