• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One leading sales in US since price cut, nearly 10 million sold-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

LurkingFear

"Shortly, we will have sold in to retailers more than 10 million Xbox One consoles."

Meanwhile in Microsoft Distribution Center Japan...

rqJMC7c.gif

Ledhead

Misleading title, but good for MS. Though this was to be expected, given how aggressively they have pushed the damn console this month

Mokubba

Has anyone else announced that they've almost shipped a certain amount?

It's the first time I'm reading something like this.

Ushay

Nice to see this thread go to shit so quickly. /s

Anyhow it's good news across the board, more next gen consoles shifting = less old gen ports. They're clearly holding games standards back.

Ishan

Stock split has nothing to do with company value. Split stock only means you have twice more stock volume available in the market.

Apple $660B~
MSFT $410B ~
Exxon $401B ~
Google $375B~

Aah nice to see the four companies I own are doing well

I hope Microsoft sells a ton of consoles. They definitely win the exclusive software battle this xmas season with Sunset Overdrive, Forza 2, Fantasia, and most importantly Halo: MCC.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I feel like Sony really dropped the ball this year especially this holiday season (compare where PS1-3 were at this point in time and its easy to see why so many are disappointed) so I really hope Xbox comes in #1 this month. Sony needs a thrashing.

Why? They have a similar number of releases this quarter, and have released more exclusives overall this year. Sony may not have had a great year of releases but MS aren't exactly much better.

based on how sony supported the PS3 with a variety of interesting first party games right to the last moment gives me confidence they'll do the same with PS4. MS are the ones that coasted the second half of the 360 lifecycle and fucked up their positioning on the Xbox one. They have turned some things around but I'm still wary if they'll repeat what they did with 360. Or worse, repeat what they did with the OG Xbox and do a short gen this time to try and get a head start next time.

MS were the ones needing a thrashing, and they got one. Now let's see if they can follow through on the positive changes they've been putting in place. For me personally, Sony have earned the benefit of the doubt - MS haven't yet.

Surely this can't be right?

A billion? There is no way they can keep this up then.

How much did Sony lose on the PS3?

4 billion. Wow.
Microsoft as a whole is so massive they can keep up such tactics as long as they have the will. With the 360 they lost billions in the first few years, before finding profit in the latter part of the generation. The original Xbox lost billions, period (it was never profitable).

This gen both companies started with much better numbers. Microsoft's recent incentives are strongly impacting their bottom line now, though. The holidays will have positive margin due to massive software sales, but their Q3/Q4 could be ugly.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Has anyone else announced that they've almost shipped a certain amount?

It's the first time I'm reading something like this.

PS4- 13.5m (Sep 30th)
Wii U - 7.29m (Sep 30th)

Xbox One - Under 10 million (Nov 10th)
(It's estimated that Xbox One sold in 7.4m units by Sep 30th)

PS4- 13.5m (Sep 30th)
Wii U - 7.29m (Sep 30th)

Xbox One - Under 10 million (Nov 10th)
(It's estimated that Xbox One sold in 7.4m units by Sep 30th)

He means, has other companys said they "almost" shipped or sold a certain amount. Nintendo and Sony didn't say we will reach these amounts "shortly."

Microsoft as a whole is so massive they can keep up such tactics as long as they have the will. With the 360 they lost billions in the first few years, before finding profit in the latter part of the generation. The original Xbox lost billions, period (it was never profitable).

This gen both companies started with much better numbers. Microsoft's recent incentives are strongly impacting their bottom line now, though. The holidays will have positive margin due to massive software sales, but their Q3/Q4 could be ugly.

I understand that, but I was under the impression the whole reason the xbox one is the box it is is that Microsoft was focused on being profitable from day one.

I understand that they dialed that back with kinects removal, but you have to wonder if behind closed doors knives are being sharpened.

If spending this much money only keeps them level with Sony, whats the point?

ZhugeEX

Banned
He means, has other companys said they "almost" shipped or sold a certain amount. Nintendo and Sony didn't say we will reach these amounts "shortly."

ohhhhhh. Sorry.

Yeh I think this is the first time, outside of targeted shipment numbers, that a company has said they almost shipped x amount.

mhayze

I understand that, but I was under the impression the whole reason the xbox one is the box it is is that Microsoft was focused on being profitable from day one.

I understand that they dialed that back with kinects removal, but you have to wonder if behind closed doors knives are being sharpened.

Seems obvious, but if they fall too far behind, they risk losing the entire generation. If they are at least within range of the PS4, they will keep the 3rd parties producing games, keep consumer confidence higher, etc. Plus the lifetime value (i.e. revenue from games and XBL) of a sold XBO will eventually (more than) negate the lost $50/console revenue in a given quarter. Also, there are other considerations to taking a loss in a particular quarter, such as ways to offset tax liabilities by taking a hit in a very profitable quarter, etc.

KoopaTheCasual

The PS3 to PS4 transition, most likely. If they can "stay in the game" by burning lots of money now, they stand a chance at both taking the lionshare of the market as well as the profit on the next go around.

That's all I can think of.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Summary please?

As I shrewdly predicted before the start of this generation, the Xbox One has taken a leadership position in the North American console market right before the most critical holiday shopping season of recent memory. You could say they took the bull by the horn and are riding her like secretariat all the way to the finish line.

More gaming dollars are spent in the November and December months than in the rest of the year combined, so positioning the Xbox One console and game bundles at a family-friendly $349.99 price point before Sony has any chance to scramble together a legitimate response is, simply put, a stroke of marketing genius.

If the early reports are any indication, the Xbox One now not only has the value share with it's lower price point, it is winning back the hearts and minds of gamers with envelope-pushing, blockbuster AAA next-generation software like Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Assassin's Creed Unity, Sunset Overdrive, and Halo: Master Chief Collection.

In fact, earlier in the week, one top industry media outlet wrote about how Sony's momentum with the Playstation 4 could be coming to a screeching halt due to the lack of compelling exclusive software on that platform. Add to that the recent network issues of Sony's network and launch difficulties of key games like Driveclub and Assassin's Creed Unity, and you have a recipe for potential disaster.

With nearly 10 million Xbox One's sold in compared to 13.5 million Playstation 4's shipped at last count, the tides seem to be turning faster than anyone could have predicted. Last generation, the tag phrase was the first to 10 million wins, so it's only fitting that in this more advanced generation, the pundits may look back and say, "the first to 20 million" is the One who was victorious. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Seems obvious, but if they fall too far behind, they risk losing the entire generation. If they are at least within range of the PS4, they will keep the 3rd parties producing games, keep consumer confidence higher, etc. Plus the lifetime value (i.e. revenue from games and XBL) of a sold XBO will eventually (more than) negate the lost $50/console revenue in a given quarter. Also, there are other considerations to taking a loss in a particular quarter, such as ways to offset tax liabilities by taking a hit in a very profitable quarter, etc.

This is true. Although, im not utterly convinced they havent lost the generation already worldwide. They may be able to retreat to the US and UK and use those countries to keep things level for now, but I think over time, just like the PS3 before it, Europe and the rest of the world is going to stay firmly Sony territory.

I guess we will have a clearer picture come January.

The PS3 to PS4 transition, most likely. If they can "stay in the game" by burning lots of money now, they stand a chance at both taking the lionshare of the market as well as the profit on the next go around.

That's all I can think of.

Yeah but thats three generations, nearly 20 years of investment, for middling profit and market share (in comparison to their other businesses)

While I dont think the Xbox one is in any trouble, im not sure Microsoft will be eager to go again.

ZhugeEX

Banned
As I shrewdly predicted before the start of this generation, the Xbox One has taken a leadership position in the North American console market right before the most critical holiday shopping season of recent memory. You could say they took the bull by the horn and are riding her like secretariat all the way to the finish line.

More gaming dollars are spent in the November and December months than in the rest of the year combined, so positioning the Xbox One console and game bundles at a family-friendly $349.99 price point before Sony has any chance to scramble together a legitimate response is, simply put, a stroke of marketing genius.

If the early reports are any indication, the Xbox One now not only has the value share with it's lower price point, it is winning back the hearts and minds of gamers with envelope-pushing, blockbuster AAA next-generation software like Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Assassin's Creed Unity, Sunset Overdrive, and Halo: Master Chief Collection.

In fact, earlier in the week, one top industry media outlet wrote about how Sony's momentum with the Playstation 4 could be coming to a screeching halt due to the lack of compelling exclusive software on that platform. Add to that the recent network issues of Sony's network and launch difficulties of key games like Driveclub and Assassin's Creed Unity, and you have a recipe for potential disaster.

With nearly 10 million Xbox One's sold in compared to 13.5 million Playstation 4's shipped at last count, the tides seem to be turning faster than anyone could have predicted. Last generation, the tag phrase was the first to 10 million wins, so it's only fitting that in this more advanced generation, the pundits may look back and say, "the first to 20 million" is the One who was victorious. Hope this clarifies things for you.

This reads like a Microsoft PR statement....

vesvci

Banned

Do you work for MS?

Edit: I re-read because it was surreal. Odds are that you do.

Parody post? Troll post?

I can't tell who's serious anymore.

This is beautiful. I may have to buy and Xbox One now, I fell like I chose the wrong console and I am going to pay for it come January.

kpaadet

I can't tell who is being serious anymore, but if this is real..........WOW

Idba

Not in the slightest.

I'm playing a game that I want to broadcast. I have two choices:

1) double hit hoke button, snap an app, wait, hit right, select twitch, select broadcast, select start broadcast

2) or I can jusy say Xbox Broadcast

That's just one of many examples which can be demonstrated to negate your position on a tech you claim IS an abomination shortly after sayinf you havent used it in a while

It's one thing to say you have a preference for one navigating system over another, its entirely different when you discredit one with no basis to justify the other.

Hes talking about failure rate. If you fail at saying xbox broadcoast a couple of times in a row it could be faster to use the controller since it has no failure rate. Ofc its easier to use voice command, but that doesnt mean its best.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
God ms PR is so amazing.

I truly believe they disseminate messages and organize forumers akin to a modern political organization. Sony fanbots are like annoying Ron Paul people by comparison.

It's of course in large part to newts like Aaron Greenberg and major Nelson In the community (not to mention gaf's own ephemeral truth teller) but I'm so impressed at the collateral damage they do.
I think the comma gives them power.

Too bad Xbox closed large parts of their TV initiative. I had anticipated after the E.T. dig that they would go to Turkey and dig for some parchment that included the original comma. (Not necessarily sheepskin in case you scream bias!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom