• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One leading sales in US since price cut, nearly 10 million sold-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

EGM1966

That's usually how significant these two months are.

This is why I'm a bit exasperated Sony isn't competing with MS this holiday season.

I know they are in a position of power, but I can't help but feel that they are taking MS's desperation for granted.
If Sony as a whole was profitable and in good shape I'm sure they'd be tempted to eat some margin and deliver a possibly killer blow.

But they're not. As things stand I suspect Sony are willing to risk losing next two months in US so long as they retain overall lead (which they almost certainly will do), sell lots themselves (which they almost certainly will do) and most importantly make a profit.

MS are almost certainly eating a lot of margin now and over peak trading. They can afford to though.

I'd imagine Sony figure the following:
MS sell most but not that much more than Sony - decent probability of happening and not a bad outcome for Sony although gives MA a PR win
Sony pip MS at the post - smaller probability but not that unlikely and if it happens a big PR win plus they didn't eat any margin to achieve it
MS massively outsells Sony - very unlikely and not worth risking margin to proactively try and prevent it

Sony bundles seem solid and overall they have the momentum. Most likely they're only risking MS catching up fractionally and getting some short lived PR.

otakukidd

Sony last quarter resulst by exemple:

15486005238_f33c335277_o.png

Yeah but that includes a console launch. So they are selling 2 devices instead of 1 for the 3rd and 4th quarter. I would looks at 2009 to 2012s quarterly sales instead of last year.

As I shrewdly predicted before the start of this generation, the Xbox One has taken a leadership position in the North American console market right before the most critical holiday shopping season of recent memory. You could say they took the bull by the horn and are riding her like secretariat all the way to the finish line.

More gaming dollars are spent in the November and December months than in the rest of the year combined, so positioning the Xbox One console and game bundles at a family-friendly $349.99 price point before Sony has any chance to scramble together a legitimate response is, simply put, a stroke of marketing genius.

If the early reports are any indication, the Xbox One now not only has the value share with it's lower price point, it is winning back the hearts and minds of gamers with envelope-pushing, blockbuster AAA next-generation software like Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Assassin's Creed Unity, Sunset Overdrive, and Halo: Master Chief Collection.

In fact, earlier in the week, one top industry media outlet wrote about how Sony's momentum with the Playstation 4 could be coming to a screeching halt due to the lack of compelling exclusive software on that platform. Add to that the recent network issues of Sony's network and launch difficulties of key games like Driveclub and Assassin's Creed Unity, and you have a recipe for potential disaster.

With nearly 10 million Xbox One's sold in compared to 13.5 million Playstation 4's shipped at last count, the tides seem to be turning faster than anyone could have predicted. Last generation, the tag phrase was the first to 10 million wins, so it's only fitting that in this more advanced generation, the pundits may look back and say, "the first to 20 million" is the One who was victorious. Hope this clarifies things for you.

insert_foot_ indeed.

Zephyrus

Banned
Same, I'm a bit confused now lol

Eventually, a poster will go too far and get banned.

I enjoy reactions to these sort of posts rather then the posts themselves :D

after reading his post history I'm inclined to believe he meant everything he wrote in that post.

big_z

Greenberg again. Remember pre-season?

e1vXCYH.png

So lets entertain this tweet, do we have an estimate of how many xbone have been sold from January to October in North America? A 60/40 split should give us the minimum number for Xbox this nov/dec.

No. Q3 for Sony is Oct Nov Dec: http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/info/calendar/index.html

According to Wikipedia 35% of companies (mainly non-English based) don't use the intuitive way of using quarters.

Awesome dude, I have been googling, but your GoogleFu is masterful. So October, November, December for Sony is more than the other 3 combined, but with a launch in that period where console sales are highest, that would definitely be skewed...

Would be interesting to see 2012 for both companies, without the console launches....I know last year, Microsoft reported selling "over 3 million Xbox Ones" by the end of 2013.

That would make approximately 4 to 5 million sold this year already....So is it really likely that the Xbox One will sell over 4 to 5 million Xbox Ones worldwide in November and December combined? Sounds incredible if true..

So lets entertain this tweet, do we have an estimate of how many xbone have been sold from January to October in North America? A 60/40 split should give us the minimum number for Xbox this nov/dec.

Xbox One sold over 3 million in 2013.

Sales Gaf had estimated they are around 7 to 8 million as of the end of September....Which would make sense with the reported 10 million shipped "shortly" as they gear up for the holidays.

So entertaining that tweet, Greenberg expects over 4 to 5 million Xbox Ones to be sold in November and December....

Wynnebeck

Banned
Awesome dude, I have been googling, but your GoogleFu is masterful. So October, November, December for Sony is more than the other 3 combined, but with a launch in that period where console sales are highest, that would definitely be skewed...

Would be interesting to see 2012 for both companies, without the console launches....I know last year, Microsoft reported selling "over 3 million Xbox Ones" by the end of 2013.

That would make approximately 4 to 5 million sold this year already....So is it really likely that the Xbox One will sell over 4 to 5 million Xbox Ones worldwide in November and December combined? Sounds incredible if true..

Not likely at all. The only two territories where Xbone will sell this holiday season is US/UK. Even the push from them would not be enough to offset the lead PS4 has WW. In the US, the PS4's lead is over 1 million compared to Xbone. Depending on how these months play out, MS may outsell Sony, but the possibility of Sony keeping an overall lead is real.

orochi91

If Sony as a whole was profitable and in good shape I'm sure they'd be tempted to eat some margin and deliver a possibly killer blow.

But they're not. As things stand I suspect Sony are willing to risk losing next two months in US so long as they retain overall lead (which they almost certainly will do), sell lots themselves (which they almost certainly will do) and most importantly make a profit.

MS are almost certainly eating a lot of margin now and over peak trading. They can afford to though.

I'd imagine Sony figure the following:
MS sell most but not that much more than Sony - decent probability of happening and not a bad outcome for Sony although gives MA a PR win
Sony pip MS at the post - smaller probability but not that unlikely and if it happens a big PR win plus they didn't eat any margin to achieve it
MS massively outsells Sony - very unlikely and not worth risking margin to proactively try and prevent it

Sony bundles seem solid and overall they have the momentum. Most likely they're only risking MS catching up fractionally and getting some short lived PR.

All of these are fair points.

I would love to know in particular how much exactly MS has lost leading up to launch and since.

Sony conceding PR loss(es) for the holidays is something I don't want to happen, but will have to put up with D:

after reading his post history I'm inclined to believe he meant everything he wrote in that post.

We can continue to throw counter arguments at him or....

point and laugh lol

Zephyrus

Banned
All of these are fair points.

I would love to know in particular how much exactly MS has lost leading up to launch and since.

Sony conceding PR loss(es) for the holidays is something I don't want to happen, but will have to put up with D:

We can continue to throw counter arguments at him or....

point and laugh lol

I can't laugh at that. Feels wrong. Poor guy has no fault for being like that.

Ishan

As I shrewdly predicted before the start of this generation, the Xbox One has taken a leadership position in the North American console market right before the most critical holiday shopping season of recent memory. You could say they took the bull by the horn and are riding her like secretariat all the way to the finish line.

More gaming dollars are spent in the November and December months than in the rest of the year combined, so positioning the Xbox One console and game bundles at a family-friendly $349.99 price point before Sony has any chance to scramble together a legitimate response is, simply put, a stroke of marketing genius.

If the early reports are any indication, the Xbox One now not only has the value share with it's lower price point, it is winning back the hearts and minds of gamers with envelope-pushing, blockbuster AAA next-generation software like Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Assassin's Creed Unity, Sunset Overdrive, and Halo: Master Chief Collection.

In fact, earlier in the week, one top industry media outlet wrote about how Sony's momentum with the Playstation 4 could be coming to a screeching halt due to the lack of compelling exclusive software on that platform. Add to that the recent network issues of Sony's network and launch difficulties of key games like Driveclub and Assassin's Creed Unity, and you have a recipe for potential disaster.

With nearly 10 million Xbox One's sold in compared to 13.5 million Playstation 4's shipped at last count, the tides seem to be turning faster than anyone could have predicted. Last generation, the tag phrase was the first to 10 million wins, so it's only fitting that in this more advanced generation, the pundits may look back and say, "the first to 20 million" is the One who was victorious. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Lmao I thought it was a parody post till others pointed out otherwise .... Jesus the centrifuge thousand morons comments is accurate about this post lol

Lemondish

Bulls are male.

Lemme see 'bout this...

Resogun, Killzone, Knack, Infamous, MLB The Show, Last of Us Remastered, Driveclub, LBP3, Guilty Gear Xrd (might as well be), Yakuza Ishin, Hohokum, Aliennation, flOw, Flower, InFamous First Light

Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, TitanFall, Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, Halo MCC, Crimson Dragon, D4, Dance Central, Fighter Within, Forza 5, Project Spark

Talking hard and mostly-exclusive (you won't find them on the other brand's platforms), that's...16 to 12 in PS4's favor. And yet PS4 has no gamez, hmm..

Oh that's right, they don't count if they aren't AAA, right Eurogamer? And sports games don't count, yep? So that's 8 vs 8, a bit more even eh. But wait, we obviously don't have enough filters in this brew, so let's just personally scatch off any games that aren't filled with tits and blood, and anything even slightly weeaboo. So how's that looking now, Eurogamer? Mmmhmm...I see,...that's 4 to 5.

Since the logic that appears prominent with Eurogamer can only see things in an absolute, binary fashion, 5 is greater than 4, therefore the XBO has teh gamez and PS4 haz nun.

Eurogamer: A perfect example of what's wrong with this industry these days.

Is this drivel your opinion or are you acting as a medium for Hindle's consciousness?

Zephyrus

Banned
Lemme see 'bout this...

Resogun, Killzone, Knack, Infamous, MLB The Show, Last of Us Remastered, Driveclub, LBP3, Guilty Gear Xrd (might as well be), Yakuza Ishin, Hohokum, Aliennation, flOw, Flower, InFamous First Light

Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, TitanFall, Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, Halo MCC, Crimson Dragon, D4, Dance Central, Fighter Within, Forza 5, Project Spark

Talking hard and mostly-exclusive (you won't find them on the other brand's platforms), that's...16 to 12 in PS4's favor. And yet PS4 has no gamez, hmm..

Oh that's right, they don't count if they aren't AAA, right Eurogamer? And sports games don't count, yep? So that's 8 vs 8, a bit more even eh. But wait, we obviously don't have enough filters in this brew, so let's just personally scatch off any games that aren't filled with tits and blood, and anything even slightly weeaboo. So how's that looking now, Eurogamer? Mmmhmm...I see,...that's 4 to 5.

Since the logic that appears prominent with Eurogamer can only see things in an absolute, binary fashion, 5 is greater than 4, therefore the XBO has teh gamez and PS4 haz nun.

Is this drivel your opinion or are you acting as a medium for Hindle's consciousness?

I think you're in the wrong thread mate.

Meh...Sony gonna take November npd and not even do a press release about it just make an aside during the December meeting like a boss...

Everyone seems to be betting on X1 winning like the titanfall month so I'm just gonna go against the grain here. Close by PS4 will take both months, but 360 will do better than PS3.

Vestal

Gold Member
Lemme see 'bout this...

Just off the top of my head without researching I can see 3 games missing from the Xbox one list. Ryse, max and zoo, we could count halo Spartan assault as well I guess.

Elandyll

Banned
Yeah but that includes a console launch. So they are selling 2 devices instead of 1 for the 3rd and 4th quarter. I would looks at 2009 to 2012s quarterly sales instead of last year.
Correct.

According to what I've seen, Greenberg is dead wrong unless he specifically cherry picks years with significant events such as consoles launch, Wii s'plosion or possibly Kinect s'plosion.

This fall does not have such an event, so it's very unlikely to happen imo.

Correct.

According to what I've seen, Greenberg is dead wrong unless he specifically cherry picks years with significant events such as consoles launch, Wii s'plosion or possibly Kinect s'plosion.

This fall does not have such an event, so it's very unlikely to happen imo.

I just don't see the Xbox One selling 4 to 5 million consoles this month and next. That is what would have to happen for Greenberg to be correct.....That is just crazy, I change my avatar to Greenburgs face if he is correct.....

And shipped numbers don't count Aaron, since that seems to be the numbers you like to share....

Lrrr

I believe this is a joke post, and possibly a parody account, designed to roleplay the type of absurd fanboy/girl hyperbole you see all the time in forums. For heaven's sake, in one paragraph he uses AC:Unity as a positive point for MS and in the very next, uses it as a negative against Sony. LOL!

It's well done though. Gave this Omicronian a good laugh. :)

Xbox usually sells about 50% of their consoles in Nov./Dec. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

Now this isn't exact, but X1 has sold about 1840k units in the US this year so far.

So if they end up getting 50% this holiday, then that would make for around 920k consoles sold in both Nov & Dec.

TimFL

Albert is that you?

rokkerkory

Xbox usually sells about 50% of their consoles in Nov./Dec. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

Now this isn't exact, but X1 has sold about 1840k units in the US this year so far.

So if they end up getting 50% this holiday, then that would make for around 920k consoles sold in both Nov & Dec.

MS needs to sell 1.2m+ in nov and dec to make any dent in PS4s lead.

Fdkn

Getting 50% would mean another 1840k in those 2 months

Aaron says they will sell more than that.

Tripled in comparison to what exactly - the rest of the world, the previous month, the last quarter?

Tripled in comparison to the previous week where no-one purchased the console because they were waiting for the price cut. They gave up in October, announced the price cut to kick off when the November NPD starts. PR points and high fives.

Majmun

Sony's issue is providing the other territories outside of NA with stock during the holiday period as well.

MS only has to focus on NA and the UK and stuff those channels. Sony covers a bigger market. Hopefully they've manufactured enough Ps4 consoles. They can't afford any shortages, especially not in NA and the Uk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom