• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One leading sales in US since price cut, nearly 10 million sold-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallingdove

As I shrewdly predicted before the start of this generation, the Xbox One has taken a leadership position in the North American console market right before the most critical holiday shopping season of recent memory. You could say they took the bull by the horn and are riding her like secretariat all the way to the finish line.

More gaming dollars are spent in the November and December months than in the rest of the year combined, so positioning the Xbox One console and game bundles at a family-friendly $349.99 price point before Sony has any chance to scramble together a legitimate response is, simply put, a stroke of marketing genius.

If the early reports are any indication, the Xbox One now not only has the value share with it's lower price point, it is winning back the hearts and minds of gamers with envelope-pushing, blockbuster AAA next-generation software like Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Assassin's Creed Unity, Sunset Overdrive, and Halo: Master Chief Collection.

In fact, earlier in the week, one top industry media outlet wrote about how Sony's momentum with the Playstation 4 could be coming to a screeching halt due to the lack of compelling exclusive software on that platform. Add to that the recent network issues of Sony's network and launch difficulties of key games like Driveclub and Assassin's Creed Unity, and you have a recipe for potential disaster.

With nearly 10 million Xbox One's sold in compared to 13.5 million Playstation 4's shipped at last count, the tides seem to be turning faster than anyone could have predicted. Last generation, the tag phrase was the first to 10 million wins, so it's only fitting that in this more advanced generation, the pundits may look back and say, "the first to 20 million" is the One who was victorious. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Wow. Really?

Fdkn

Greenberg again. Remember pre-season?

e1vXCYH.png

If that is true PS4 will end the year with around 25 million worlwide. Go make your bets guys

Elandyll

Banned
On other news, it looks like the XB1 "explosion" of early November has slowed down quite a bit, as Abdiel seemed to indicate not so long ago.

On Amazon, where MS used to have 2 Xbox bundles ahead of the $399 PS4, and 3 more ahead of the Destiny bundle, the situation is currently this on the (temporary) November chart:

#7 - XB1 ACU bundle $349
#15 - PS4 $399
#23 - XB1 COD Bundle $449
#48 - XB1 Kinect ACU Bundle $449
#50 - PS4 Destiny Bundle $449
#57- XB1 SO Bundle $349

Looks like the XB1 went (again, on Amazon) from a guaranteed 2.x sales to a guaranteed 1.x sale for now.

Now I may be wrong in my analysis, but it looks like even though the lowest price will be the XB1 during BF ($329), the actual best deal (as in most discounted when compared to outside of BF deal) might end up being the PS4 GTA V bundle + TLOU + $50 back (Meijer I think?), simply because the PS4 has never benefited from any price drop before (unless you count the $10 off on Destiny Bundle)...

It'll be interesting to see if 1 big week end of sales can indeed upset an entire month for Sony... As for December, it'll be wide open and decided on the pricing of the bundles imo (wonder if the GTA V and LBP3 bundles will continue being sold then, and if they'll be $449 or $399).

On Demand

Banned
As I shrewdly predicted before the start of this generation, the Xbox One has taken a leadership position in the North American console market right before the most critical holiday shopping season of recent memory. You could say they took the bull by the horn and are riding her like secretariat all the way to the finish line.

More gaming dollars are spent in the November and December months than in the rest of the year combined, so positioning the Xbox One console and game bundles at a family-friendly $349.99 price point before Sony has any chance to scramble together a legitimate response is, simply put, a stroke of marketing genius.

If the early reports are any indication, the Xbox One now not only has the value share with it's lower price point, it is winning back the hearts and minds of gamers with envelope-pushing, blockbuster AAA next-generation software like Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Assassin's Creed Unity, Sunset Overdrive, and Halo: Master Chief Collection.

In fact, earlier in the week, one top industry media outlet wrote about how Sony's momentum with the Playstation 4 could be coming to a screeching halt due to the lack of compelling exclusive software on that platform. Add to that the recent network issues of Sony's network and launch difficulties of key games like Driveclub and Assassin's Creed Unity, and you have a recipe for potential disaster.

With nearly 10 million Xbox One's sold in compared to 13.5 million Playstation 4's shipped at last count, the tides seem to be turning faster than anyone could have predicted. Last generation, the tag phrase was the first to 10 million wins, so it's only fitting that in this more advanced generation, the pundits may look back and say, "the first to 20 million" is the One who was victorious. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Whatever makes you feel better.

Damn. It's amazing what 2 weeks of sales can do.

You're numbers are way off by the way.

Discusguy

LOL Can't argue that it is a more family friendly price. That's why I bought one and friends are as well. The value perception is indeed strong.

rokkerkory

On other news, it looks like the XB1 "explosion" of early November has slowed down quite a bit, as Abdiel seemed to indicate not so long ago.

On Amazon, where MS used to have 2 Xbox bundles ahead of the $399 PS4, and 3 more ahead of the Destiny bundle, the situation is currently this on the (temporary) November chart:

#7 - XB1 ACU bundle $349
#15 - PS4 $399
#57- XB1 SO Bundle $349

Looks like the XB1 went (again, on Amazon) from a guaranteed 2.x sales to a guaranteed 1.x sale for now.

Now I may be wrong in my analysis, but it looks like even though the lowest price will be the XB1 during BF ($329), the actual best deal (as in most discounted when compared to outside of BF deal) might end up being the PS4 GTA V bundle + TLOU + $50 back (Meijer I think?), simply becasue the PS4 has never benefited from any price drop before (unless you count the $10 off on Destiny Bundle)...

It'll be interesting to see if 1 big week end of sales can indeed upset an entire month for Sony... As for December, it'll be wide open and decided on the pricing of the bundles imo (wonder if the GTA V and LBP3 bundles will continue being sold then, and if they'll be $449 or $399).

SO is available? I don't see it. It was sold out the day after it was available on Nov 2nd.

nynt9

I honestly don't know if you're parody account because you always post stuff like this and when you're refuted by hard facts you just leave the thread and start shitposting the same inane garbage in another thread.

People like you have been saying "no, this month will finally be the downfall of arrogant sony" and stuff like that evey month, and it never happens. At this point I'm not sure I care anymore whether any console manufacturer outsells the other, but the continued success of sony is totally worth it just for the meltdowns like this.

I'm kinda surprised that you still have an account after all the stuff you say, but I'm kinda glad because it always provides top notch entertainment. Troll or not, hats off to you mate.

1355.gif

You aren't getting me that easy

Edit: fix pix

Amir0x

Banned
Not in the slightest.

I'm playing a game that I want to broadcast. I have two choices:

1) double hit hoke button, snap an app, wait, hit right, select twitch, select broadcast, select start broadcast

2) or I can jusy say Xbox Broadcast

That's just one of many examples which can be demonstrated to negate your position on a tech you claim IS an abomination shortly after sayinf you havent used it in a while

It's one thing to say you have a preference for one navigating system over another, its entirely different when you discredit one with no basis to justify the other.

Or, in our case, we'll say "Xbox Broadcast" thirteen times, the system will refuse to do the damn thing, until my frustration bubbles over to such a degree that I take the Kinect and snap it in two

Progress!

That's why I was discussing how shit the UI is for navigating with a controller. 'Cause with the voice commands working as skittishly as they do for me, I want a UI that's decent for navigating with a controller. The thing was clearly designed for Kinect, and Kinect blows. I'm so glad it works for you, though.

the hilarious thing is that open_mouth really believes this stuff. Just look at how brilliant the last paragraph is. Every number is basically misused to try to paint this elegant false narrative. Larry Hyrb himself couldn't do better.

the hilarious thing is that open_mouth really believes this stuff. Just look at how brilliant the last paragraph is. Every number is basically misused to try to paint this elegant false narrative. Larry Hyrb himself couldn't do better.
Its like his day job is Fox News analyst.

On Demand

Banned

#7 - XB1 ACU bundle $349
#15 - PS4 $399
#57- XB1 SO Bundle $349

Now I may be wrong in my analysis, but it looks like even though the lowest price will be the XB1 during BF ($329), the actual best deal (as in most discounted when compared to outside of BF deal) might end up being the PS4 GTA V bundle + TLOU + $50 back (Meijer I think?), simply becasue the PS4 has never benefited from any price drop before (unless you count the $10 off on Destiny Bundle)...

Bestbuy too

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...000&browsedCategory=&gf=y&sp=-bestsellingsort skuid&cp=1&nrp=15

I really think it's possible PS4 sells the most over BF. But who knows. People saying XB1 has this month locked based on current sales are a little too excited.

Elandyll

Banned
If that is true PS4 will end the year with around 25 million worlwide. Go make your bets guys

I don't see how he can say that with a straight face?
Unless he included all the consoles together in the last gen, including the Wii, and even then I doubt it would have happened every year.

Why is everyone jumping to conclusions? How about we wait and see after the holidays if the price cut was a resounding success.

It's great if MS ends up winning these 2 months, but at what cost?

Would it be worth it if by the end they only manage a difference of 100,000 consoles? I think they want to make up that million difference by the end if they are willing to take a significant loss per console sold. Maybe 500,000 difference would be considered success.

rokkerkory

Why is everyone jumping to conclusions? How about we wait and see after the holidays if the price cut was a resounding success.

It's great if MS ends up winning these 2 months, but at what cost?

Would it be worth it if by the end they only manage a difference of 100,000 consoles? I think they want to make up that million difference by the end if they are willing to take a significant loss per console sold. Maybe 500,000 difference would be considered success.

Welcome to a sales thread lol

Like you said we will see in 2 months won't we.

Amir0x

Banned
Errrr, if someone fails at having a command register thirteen times, this could say more about possible enunciation problems than it could the tech :(

Even day one, i only ever had problems except for "Xbox on" . Back then, the tech was very peculiar about how you said it. I had to learn "ex-box on" in lieu of "axbox on" ha ha. I know its gotten much better now.

The only thing i have problems with on rare occassion is the kinect picking up other noise

It's not though. Issues with Kinect voice recognition had been widely reported since the day the XBO launch. I'm not saying anything special. That's always the problem with these types of discussions. It works for some people, and for others it clearly does not. And then people try to go through great lengths to make up these reasons why it doesn't work for these folk. It doesn't work. It's not enunciation issues, it just doesn't work for me and my friend at least 30% of the time.

I'm glad it works for who it does, but Kinect has basically been abandoned by the gaming community for a reason. It's riddled with issues that make it decidedly unideal.

Rymuth

This post sounds like the final product at the end of a stupidity centrifuge, distilling the unexpurgated banal thoughts of a thousand morons into a hardened impenetrable lump of smacktardery...

orochi91

Wait, is that true? Is he saying Xbox one in November plus December will outsell January through October combined?

PS4 too then? I just cannot believe that, but will if someone can prove me wrong...

That's usually how significant these two months are.

This is why I'm a bit exasperated Sony isn't competing with MS this holiday season.

I know they are in a position of power, but I can't help but feel that they are taking MS's desperation for granted.

Amir0x

Banned

This is why I'm a bit exasperated Sony isn't competing with MS this holiday season.

I know they are in a position of power, but I can't help but feel that they are taking MS's desperation for granted.

They are competing, thus the LBP3 and the GTAV bundle.

They just don't feel they have to go to the extremes Microsoft is at, and for good reason. Not only does Sony need the extra money, unlike MS, but their system has been drastically outperforming the competition all year. Most companies don't have drastic price cuts when they are still selling so well, it's not just a Sony thing.

androvsky

We're absolutely sure it's not a parody account, right?

So add Ass Creed Unity to the long list of games that run the same or better on XB1, like Destiny, Madden 2015, and Halo: MCC.

I guess I could understand 343i not putting as much effort into the PS4 version, but uh...

So much wrong with this post.

Mully

Good for Microsoft and the consumer. They made a lot of boneheaded decisions at launch and have made up for it in the past 10 months.

This resurgence will make things interesting for Sony and the consumer since it's likely going to be a near level playing field by the time the holiday season is over.

Loudninja

Good for Microsoft and the consumer. They made a lot of boneheaded decisions at launch and have made up for it in the past 10 months.

This resurgence will make things interesting for Sony and the consumer since it's likely going to be a near level playing field by the time the holiday season is over.
Near playing field in what way?

On Demand

Banned

It's going to make a price drop all the more impactful. Let MS blow their load this early in the generation at that price point. PS4 is still selling very well. Europe is no contest. WW the battle is already won. I don't think Sony cares IF they lose these 2 months by a little.

How about blocking purchases from US store for non-US customers? A practice that used to be silently approved and (at least here in Finland) even encouraged.

Don't spread BS as you can still do it via gift cards, which was the method that was silently approved. It's just CC payments that are stopped and Alberto Penello never hinted that method was ok.

Sony last quarter resulst by exemple:

15486005238_f33c335277_o.png

But he isn't even correct, Q3 sells the most, and that is July, August, September, at least according to Sonys sale figures last year....And that was with PS4 launching in Q4 as well...

Can someone share Microsofts 2013 quarterlys?

orochi91

They are competing, thus the LBP3 and the GTAV bundle.

They just don't feel they have to go to the extremes Microsoft is at, and for good reason. Not only does Sony need the extra money, unlike MS, but their system has been drastically outperforming the competition all year. Most companies don't have drastic price cuts when they are still selling so well, it's not just a Sony thing.

I've entertained the idea that one of the primary reasons why Sony refuses to critically skewer XB1's prospects in NA is because they fear by doing so, MS will end the generation by putting out a successor to the XB1 earlier than expected.

Fanfic, I know.

I just want to see Sony be the unequivocal leader in all markets.

Amir0x

Banned
Well, this is a half glass empty position. People abandoning it or it not working for them, in if itself, does not in any way equate as a failure. You can not dismiss a position by those for whom it works by making a matter of fact proclamation that it doesnt.

Is it perfect? No. But that does not equate to failure. These discussion do not have to resort to:

A) shit
B) not shit

...dialogue. There is a gray area

And for you it's not shit. Which is great! For me it's a complete failure. That's how I classify something that is supposed to work a certain way, and just doesn't. If I was to be you, I'd have a different opinion. I'm not going to moderate my opinion as if I was someone else for whom it worked for. I'm going to tell it like it is. These issues have been widely reported, and I found those issues to be true in my experience.

mike4001_

Wait, is that true? Is he saying Xbox one in November plus December will outsell January through October combined?

PS4 too then? I just cannot believe that, but will if someone can prove me wrong...

Theoretically yes. But then Xbox would have to take a 2:1 lead in November AND December

And they will not do that.

While I see them winning November it will not be 2:1

If they also win December than it will only be slightly.

Cornbread78

What in the Holy PR is this. Aaron, is that you?

Theoretically yes. But then Xbox would have to take a 2:1 lead in November AND December

And they will not do that.

While I see them winning November it will not be 2:1

If they also win December than it will only be slightly.

Well if you look at Sonys quarterlies, why isn't that theoretically the case? Not even close...

HardRojo

Thanks for making me laugh like I haven't in the whole week. Not only that, after reading your post I saw your username and tag. I fucking lost it. Oh man tears from laughter are the best.

Chabbles

dafoe.gif

Quotient

This has to be a joke since it reads like a microsoft press release!

Zephyrus

Banned

I don't want to feel like a chump, so I'll assume this is a joke post.

Because if it isn't... wow. It reads like Microsoft PR grabbed this guy's legs and smashed his head against the wall over and over again until he lost all reason and is now nothing more than an empty broken vessel.

Majmun

Am I the only one who's gotten tired of these stupid ironic/sarcastic/troll posts that have been flooding GAF lately?

Thank you, Phil.

orochi91

So their quarters are not the same as the link I posted? I don't know so I'm honestly trying to learn....

Same, I'm a bit confused now lol

Am I the only one who's getting tired of these stupid ironic/sarcastic/troll posts that have been flooding GAF lately?

Eventually, a poster will go too far and get banned.

I enjoy reactions to these sort of posts rather then the posts themselves :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom