• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One leading sales in US since price cut, nearly 10 million sold-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomShoe

Banned
There is a benefit to me as an XB1 owner. I get to play exclusive content for my shiny new console that can't be found anywhere else. Why should I care about users being "deprived' on other platforms? If I really want to play Uncharted I know I have to buy a PS4, that's up to me if I want to spend the money to do so.

Thank you Microsoft for spending your corporate dollars, stealing this experience from millions of other people unless they pour money into your pockets for something they should have had in the first place! You're the greatest!

Quotient

There is a benefit to me as an XB1 owner. I get to play exclusive content for my shiny new console that can't be found anywhere else. Why should I care about users being "deprived' on other platforms? If I really want to play Uncharted I know I have to buy a PS4, that's up to me if I want to spend the money to do so.

The game would be coming to your platform regardless. Microsoft just spent money preventing it from coming to another platform which has no impact on you. Would you rather not have microsoft use that money to fund the development of a new IP or an existing Microsoft IP.

I hope you realize that money-hatting a project and funding a project are two separate things. Money-hatting is an anti consumer practice but if your don't care about ethics then whatever floats your boat.

Agreed.

Actually, you lose in that situation. You were always getting the game, but in paying to deny PlayStation customers access to it MS has wasted money they could have spent developing new original games, developing new software features or generally improving the Xbox ecosystem.

I care because it works both ways. Destiny Xbox owners got screwed with less content. PS4 owners who were excited for Tomb Raider are screwed. The point is it is a shitty practice that deprives all console owners of content because of greed. And it'll only get worse/more frequent.

cheesekao

I'm ok with online being borked right now.

H2a's remastered campaign is glorious. And I never got around to Halo 4 on X360 because i sold my 360 before it came out.

The beauty of the game, unlike CoD, is that if the online is broken, you've got plenty of other shit to choose from.
The campaign is borked for plenty of people as well in the MCC OT. The only problem with AW is the lag while MCC's problems are a dime a dozen from what I've seen.

Brohan

If you were patient, wouldn't you just not own the console until later? If you buy it ahead of time, it's probably because other stuff more important to you than those features were included.

Ok, sure.

Moneyhat as in Bayonetta 2? Cool.
Moneyhat as in Tomb Raider? Nah, fuck that.

I don't mind being patient to wait for those extra features, in the mean time i'm fine without them and am enjoying superior multiplats in the meantime.

Shahed

I don't think you get my point. I'm not saying you should care about other people being deprived, but more about the benefits for yourself and if the money would be better served elsewhere.

Say game A was being released on XB1, PS4 and PC. You get to play Game A. Now say a company (such as Microsoft for example) moneyhats Game A. From your perspective nothing has changed. You still get to play Game A. All that has happened is that other people can't play game A. There's no benefit to you.

Now say MS use the money they gave the other company to make Game A exclusive to instead fund another game. Call it Game B. Now you get Game A and Game B and the money spent has been to a benefit in giving you another game to play. The first situation in moneyhatting doesn't provide you benefits

Elandyll

Banned

It is somewhat refreshing to see that kind of honesty in a way. What you are saying here is that what matters to you is that someone else doesn't get to play the game that you would have had on your platform regardless of the moneyhat.

Cool story.

bigace33

Why are you quoting the word deprived? That's exactly the right word. You're saying you don't care at all that other people are getting screwed over just so you can feed your superiority complex? Dude that is messed up.

Give me an example of gamers being screwed over through moneyhatting. Tomb Raider? A game we all know will eventually land everywhere, but MS chose to spend the cash to make sure their consumers can get it first. And where the hell does 'superiority complex' come into play? I just want to be able to play great games on the console I just bought. Lol at consumers being screwed over. Microsoft is a company who wants to make money, and give incentive for the consumer to buy their console. It's business, not personal. Every company in the world is guilty of this in some form or fashion.

Synth

I don't mind being patient to wait for those extra features, in the mean time i'm fine without them and am enjoying superior multiplats in the meantime.

Yea, that's kinda what I meant. The superior performance means more to you than the other stuff. It's not really a case of patience, as you probably would have made the same choice even if those features weren't coming. You bought the console for what it is today, much like those choosing an Xbox One also are.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm ok with online being borked right now.

H2a's remastered campaign is glorious. And I never got around to Halo 4 on X360 because i sold my 360 before it came out.

The beauty of the game, unlike CoD, is that if the online is broken, you've got plenty of other shit to choose from.

It's ok for you because you haven't played everything. I've beaten all of these campaigns already, so for me the point of purchase is the online multiplayer.

Also CoD's multiplayer works as always. If for some reason it didn't theres a brand new campaign to play through.

Ok, sure.

If you were standing on my side I think you would find the actions of someone who purchases a console s/he doesn't play, didn't buy a game for until a month ago, and has issues with the console they could have found out about before purchasing because s/he's a member of one of the most popular gaming discussion forums on the Internet funny.

So what is the one game you want to play on the PS4 against the 30 on the XB1?

brennok

Neo Member
I care because it works both ways. Destiny Xbox owners got screwed with less content. PS4 owners who were excited for Tomb Raider are screwed. The point is it is a shitty practice that deprives all console owners of content because of greed. And it'll only get worse/more frequent.

This is exactly why I started losing my desire to game. I just can't support this industry anymore. Gamers defend it while in most other consumer electronic categories it would quickly be rejected.

bigace33

It is somewhat refreshing to see that kind of honesty in a way. What you are saying here is that what matters to you is that someone else doesn't get to play the game that you would have had on your platform regardless of the moneyhat.

Cool story.

That is not what I'm saying. I said exactly what I meant. Not that someone else does not get to play the game, but that I get to play the game. Again, as a gamer why does the onus fall on me to care whether or not another consumer plays a game or does not. Some of you are over thinking this, especially when you place me in the category of giving any thought on someone not being able to play a game. I pay my money so I can play whatever games I deem worthy to play.

Prine

Banned
Why are you quoting the word deprived? That's exactly the right word. You're saying you don't care at all that other people are getting screwed over just so you can feed your superiority complex? Dude that is messed up.
That's not what he's saying, he's made an investment to gain access to games he wants. If a company is making moves to secure content its none of the users concern about the ethics behind it of its a method that is widely accepted. And I assume his feelings is not to feed any complex but to reinforce the value of investment made.

Brohan

Yea, that's kinda what I meant. The superior performance means more to you than the other stuff. It's not really a case of patience, as you probably would have made the same choice even if those features weren't coming. You bought the console for what it is today, much like those choosing an Xbox One also are.

To be honest if i believed that alot of those features wouldn't be making its way to the PS4 then that would have made my decision alot harder.

Again; i had confidence that in the end both would most likely have feature parity and decided i did not mind waiting for feature parity before buying the PS4.

It's patience all the same you know.

TomShoe

Banned
That is not what I'm saying. I said exactly what I meant. Not that someone else does not get to play the game, but that I get to play the game. Again, as a gamer why does the onus fall on me to care whether or not another consumer plays a game or does not. Some of you are over thinking this, especially when you place me in the category of giving any thought on someone not being able to play a game. I pay my money so I can play whatever games I deem worthy to play.

0882520425eca1b586265b1ebece108d.500x281x102.gif

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is exactly why I started losing my desire to game. I just can't support this industry anymore. Gamers defend it while in most other consumer electronic categories it would quickly be rejected.

Amazon's phone is sold exclusively by AT&T and not the other carriers.
Toys R Us has always had exclusive toys you could only buy through them as did FAO Schwartz.
It goes on in all types of industries, and nobody rejects anything.

Rymuth

You were getting the game anyway. Microsoft didnt spend money to make Tomb Raider's release date sooner. They paid to DELAY its other versions.

There's no added benefit for you.

bigace33

That's not what he's saying, he's made an investment to gain access to games he wants. If a company is making moves to secure content its none of the users concern about the ethics behind it of its a method that is widely accepted. And I assume his feelings is not to feed any complex but to reinforce the value of investment made.

post-23470-Jeremiah-Johnson-HD-gif-Imgur-2LEp.gif

cheesekao

Amazon's phone is sold exclusively by AT&T and not the other carriers.
Toys R Us has always had exclusive toys you could only buy through them as did FAO Schwartz.
It goes on in all types of industries, and nobody rejects anything.
Just because a person is used to eating newspaper doesn't mean he should.

Give me an example of gamers being screwed over through moneyhatting. Tomb Raider? A game we all know will eventually land everywhere, but MS chose to spend the cash to make sure their consumers can get it first. And where the hell does 'superiority complex' come into play? I just want to be able to play great games on the console I just bought. Lol at consumers being screwed over. Microsoft is a company who wants to make money, and give incentive for the consumer to buy their console. It's business, not personal. Every company in the world is guilty of this in some form or fashion.

You would be able to play the game money hat or no money hat .
So i have to ask again what is your point ?
Also so saying it's business not personal don't mean anything ask MS how that work out with there DRM plan .

bigace33

Not to derail this thread any further than it has been, but all this talk of MS using moneyhatt money to fund new IPs and the such is hogwash. I personally think the XB1 is doing just fine on the games front. For a first year console it has a very solid lineup without any moneyhats. All I'm saying is as an owner of the console I wouldn't cry a single tear if Mass Effect is said to be a 6 month timed exclusive on XB1. I'm eventually going to buy another PS4 because I know I can only play the amazing God of War series on said platform. It's just the reality of the situation.

You clearly haven't been around GAF for last 2 years, because tons of people got mightely upset about Bayonetta 2 exclusivity.

But those people are wrong. Nintendo funded it, if it wasn't on Wii U, it wouldn't exist at all. They didn't pay to delay other versions of an existing game just to say they had something.

Elandyll

Banned

And as everyone else has been saying, said content was cvoming to his platform of choice anyway.
So in essence, indeed, what he is saying is that he sees value in depriving others from the same content, even if he tries to word it differently.

Shahed

If it doesn't bother the user in question that other people can't play a game that's a separate thing altogether. What i don't get is the part where actively encouraging and welcoming depriving other users is a good thing when you don't get extra games out of it.

Prine

Banned
You were getting the game anyway. Microsoft didnt spend money to make Tomb Raider's release date sooner. They paid to DELAY its other versions.

There's no added benefit for you.

If it doesn't bother the user in question that other people can't play a game that's a separate thing altogether. What i don't get is the part where actively encouraging and welcoming depriving other users is a good thing when you don't get extra games out of it.

You don't know that, there could be a bunch of Xbox one related features bundled due to the deal. And of course it may sway non Xbox one owners to purchase the machine (combined with other games). Once the trailers hit, I feel many gamers will be licking their lips with anticipation.

Same questioning of ethics was mentioned I believe for Titanfall and we found out the deal was far more than delaying it for others.

Ugh, what an awful thing to say:( We are all gamers, and that money MS spent so you could have a game you were always getting, but others won't, could have gone to funding some really cool REAL exclusive. But as long as you get your game and others are derived all is well.. And Uncharted is a real exclusive, TR was a 3rd party none that, huge difference.....God bless the ignore button because it's actually nice to have conversations and discussions with open minded people...

bigace33

You would be able to play the game money hat or no money hat .
So i have to ask again what is your point ?
Also so saying it's business not personal don't mean anything ask MS how that work out with there DRM plan .

Why don't you ask MS how the DRM plan worked out? I was one of it's fiercest opponents. It's the reason I bought a PS4 on day one and not an XB1. Again, I don't work for MS so I don't care about how much they paid for whatever game or if they are trying to keep it off other platforms for a spell. If I can go to the store and buy a game on my XB1 that is not found anywhere else I kind of like that. Sorry that sounds selfish, but to me it adds value to my purshase.

Shahed

You don't know that, there could be a bunch of Xbox one related features bundled due to the deal. And of course it may sway non Xbox one owners to purchase the machine (combined with other games). Once the trailers hit, I feel many gamers will be licking their lips with anticipation.

Same was said about Titanfall and we found out the deal was far more than delaying it for others.

Then that's a different thing altogether. I have no qualms about funding extra exclusives. But the original post i quoted specifically mentioned being welcome to more moneyhatting, which by nature is more content prevention rathher than content creation

Why don't you ask MS how the DRM plan worked out? I was one of it's fiercest opponents. It's the reason I bought a PS4 on day one and not an XB1. Again, I don't work for MS so I don't care about how much they paid for whatever game or if they are trying to keep it off other platforms for a spell. If I can go to the store and buy a game on my XB1 that is not found anywhere else I kind of like that. Sorry that sounds selfish, but to me it adds value to my purshase.

So after denying it earlier, it really is about that superiority complex? Because that's the only benefit you really get in that situation.

Nobody has a problem with you getting games on X1 that you can't get else where.
The problem is MS paying the money to take away the games from others .
MS could use that same money to make there own games and you have gotten games you can't get anywhere else.
The same for all the console makers.

Ugh, what an awful thing to say:( We are all gamers, and that money MS spent so you could have a game you were always getting, but others won't, could have gone to funding some really cool REAL exclusive. But as long as you get your game and others are derived all is well.. And Uncharted is a real exclusive, TR was a 3rd party none that, huge difference.....God bless the ignore button because it's actually nice to have conversations and discussions with open minded people...
Thank you, I never there was an ignore button on here.

Synth

If you were standing on my side I think you would find the actions of someone who purchases a console s/he doesn't play, didn't buy a game for until a month ago, and has issues with the console they could have found out about before purchasing because s/he's a member of one of the most popular gaming discussion forums on the Internet funny.

So what is the one game you want to play on the PS4 against the 30 on the XB1?

The fact that I bought the console earlier than I required it is unimportant. I can spend my cash however I choose, and it's not like I had to sell personal possessions to come up with the money.. I purchased with Driveclub as the only release I was truly hyped for, but I also had an interest in Resogun (which I didn't need to buy, because I've had PS+ for years). I've never owned a console that didn't have at least 10 games I required it for (barring maaaaybe the N64), and I've owned all the major ones. So yea, I'm more likely to buy a console earlier in the gen, based off fewer games than most people.

I had issues with both consoles during the launch window. The Xbox One also didn't provide friend notifications back then (or even a low battery notification). The difference is that it does now. I've already said that the PS4 could become the better games machine for me over time, but if someone asks me about them today, then I comment about how they are at present. If I hadn't bought a PS4 yet, would that make my opinion that the Xbox One is a better gaming console more valid somehow? All my points would remain the same, I just would have selected one console over the other, rather than buying both.

Also, I didn't say 1 game versus 30. I was estimating that I play games on my Xbox around 30 times more than I do on PS4 (and that's probably generous). A single release can massively skew that figure if it becomes pretty much all I play on a daily basis. I have no idea what game that would be though, as I'm not currently hyped for any releases in the near future, for any of the 3 consoles I own. Everything I was looking forward to has been released at this point (excluding far off shit like Crackdown), which is fine because I've currently got far more games than I've had time to play through, so I'm in no rush.

bigace33

Then that's a different thing altogether. I have no qualms about funding extra exclusives. But the original post i quoted specifically mentioned being welcome to more moneyhatting, which by nature is more content prevention rathher than content creation

So after denying it earlier, it really is about that superiority complex? Because that's the only benefit you really get in that situation.

You mean besides getting to play the game? I could then easily say you and others have an "inferiority" complex since you like throwing out words like superiority when it's not even applicable. I mean if it doesn't matter, and you are gonna get the game anyway, why whine about XB1 or PS4 for that matter, getting timed exclusives or the like? You are saying gamers are getting deprived of playing games that are moneyhatted, so why cry if your console of choice is going to get the game anyway in 6 months to a year? Why cry about me maybe knowing before hand that a game will be exclusive and I want to play it now, and the only way to do so is purchase this platform? It's like you want to have your cake and eat it too, and falsely charge me with things that couldn't be further from my though process. I'm not a console war nutjob, I go where the games are, and the games are truly on...PC B^p

truth411

Not to derail this thread any further than it has been, but all this talk of MS using moneyhatt money to fund new IPs and the such is hogwash. I personally think the XB1 is doing just fine on the games front. For a first year console it has a very solid lineup without any moneyhats. All I'm saying is as an owner of the console I wouldn't cry a single tear if Mass Effect is said to be a 6 month timed exclusive on XB1. I'm eventually going to buy another PS4 because I know I can only play the amazing God of War series on said platform. It's just the reality of the situation.

Let's look at 2015 lineup. There's nothing significant for the first 3/4 of the Year. I think M.S. Will be ok for the first 2 years on games (similar to the 360) after that things will get sparse and they will have pretty much nothing and operate primarily from holiday to holiday season. That's the problem when you don't have 1st and 2nd party studio's that Sony and Nintendo have. Also M.S. is absolutely not going to have the biggest market share this gen so Money hatting isn't going to be very viable the further along we move into this gen of consoles.

Synth

You clearly haven't been around GAF for last 2 years, because tons of people got mightely upset about Bayonetta 2 exclusivity.

Nah, I've been around (registered 2005). I just think getting upset over something that wouldn't have existed any other way is stupid.

No, that's really it. There were two choices here: You either have the game on Wii U or don't have the game at all.

Yea, but I honestly think there are a decent number of posters that would rather a game not exist at all, rather than have it exist on a console other than their chosen one. I'm fucking grateful that Nintendo picked up Bayo 2, and purchased a Wii U once it was released in order to play it. If someone's upset that a game that's otherwise dead becomes exclusive to another console, then they're not fans of that game, and just want more shit to use in list wars.

On the other hand, if someone's glad that something like a Tomb Raider sequel, which was so obviously going to happen anyway, becomes exclusive... well... they also probably just want more shit to use in list wars.

bigace33

Let's look at 2015 lineup. There's nothing significant for the first 3/4 of the Year. I think M.S. Will be ok for the first 2 years on games (similar to the 360) after that things will get sparse and they will have pretty much nothing and operate primarily from holiday to holiday season. That's the problem when you don't have 1st and 2nd party studio's that Sony and Nintendo have. Also M.S. is absolutely not going to have the biggest market share this gen so Money hatting isn't going to be very viable the further along we move into this gen of consoles.

crystal_ball-193x300.jpg

truth411

You mean besides getting to play the game? I could then easily say you and others have an "inferiority" complex since you like throwing out words like superiority when it's not even applicable. I mean if it doesn't matter, and you are gonna get the game anyway, why whine about XB1 or PS4 for that matter, getting timed exclusives or the like? You are saying gamers are getting deprived of playing games that are moneyhatted, so why cry if your console of choice is going to get the game anyway in 6 months to a year? Why cry about me maybe knowing before hand that a game will be exclusive and I want to play it now, and the only way to do so is purchase this platform? It's like you want to have your cake and eat it too, and falsely charge me with things that couldn't be further from my though process. I'm not a console war nutjob, I go where the games are, and the games are truly on...PC B^p

It's like your intentionally ignoring the point that say for example tomb raider is coming regardless to Xbox one and spending say 8 or maybe even 9 figure money to DELAY the game on other platforms would be better spent on creating MORE and exclusive content for the Xbox one. Whether it's AAA games or more indie titles, X1 indie line up is falling fast behind PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom