• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Fantasy Football (The Degenerate League)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantomex

I'd recommend .5 but would have no problem with 1.0 ppr. It's a double edged sword when it comes to running backs but I think it pays off in the end if you missed out on an elite RB and made up for it with an elite WR.

Bishman

Figured this would be a good place to get some feedback on my upcoming fantasy draft strategy. I've done plenty of mock drafts and a number of regular drafts, but this weekend I'm drafting for a league with old college friends so I care about it more. Here's my tentative strategy in rounds 1-7. Feedback is appreciated. 12 team ESPN league, snake draft.

1. Any of the top tier RBs. If I get a pick at the end (say 11 or 12, maybe I go Rodgers, but I'm pretty confident I need a RB if I pick in the first round and grabbing a QB is unnecessary)

2. Top RB left, or WR (Marshall, Andre Johnson, White)...I see Jimmy Grahmn going in Rd 2, and I can't justify picking him there. Or can I?

3. Another RB, say Ball, or a WR..If I haven't picked a QB is Cam Newton worth a 3rd round pick?

4. If I'm still without a QB I'm grabbing Matt Ryan here.

5. Do I take a TE with this pick considering how shallow the position is? Vernon Davis maybe? Or I wait and grab another WR.

6. Gotta grab a TE by this point, or just say screw grabbing a TE and grab a nice flex in Torrey Smith, Cecil Shorts. Plan then to grab a TE somewhere around the 9th or 10th round. Like an Ed Dickson or Finley?

7. I'm big on getting the Def I want...I'll grab the Hawks defense here.

8 and beyond is a crapshoot.

Glaring questions I have: Is it worth picking a QB in the first or second round no matter who it is, or should I be looking more at the flow of draft and pick the best value pick depending on who other owners pick? Is MJD for real this year? Is David Wilson a shoe-in for starter in NY? Is Luck a poor man's Matt Ryan? Is Stafford a legit QB starter for fantasy teams, or was 2011 a fluke? Thanks for the feedback in advance.

1. I usually pick a RB first round. If you pick Rodgers, you will be in a hole searching for a quality RB1. There are a lot of good QBs this year.

2. It really depends on who is available. Pick the best value.

And I would share more strategy and tips but my competition is here. Sorry.

1. I usually pick a RB first round. If you pick Rodgers, you will be in a hole searching for a quality RB1. There are a lot of good QBs this year.

2. It really depends on who is available. Pick the best value.

And I would share more strategy and tips but my competition is here. Sorry.

Thank you for the feedback. That is completely understandable. I agree there are roughly 8-9 very decent starting QBs available so grabbing one first round is really unnecessary. The key is not getting stuck with that 10th QB..lol. In addition to my draft this Saturday today I got an offer to participate in a keeper league that's been going on for 8 years. It's quite a bit of money to join, but I'd have a decent core of the team I'd inherit, well sorta decent, before the draft.

-Rodgers
-Gore
-Sproles

Bench of Andre Brown, Ahmad Bradshaw, Fleener, and Fred Jackson. I'd also get the second pick in each round of drafting so I'm guaranteed Montee Ball or Eddie Lacy..It's a standard 12 team, 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 Def, and 1 kicker league. 6 playoff teams, with top 4 getting payouts. I think I'm going to join as I've done fantasy for a long time but have never done a keeper league, or even a pay league, but I appreciate the competition that will come with paying versus the lazy play of free leagues.

Obviously I have nothing at WR, but maybe I can swing a trade of Rodgers for a lower tier QB and a starting WR.

Shagwell

I'd recommend .5 but would have no problem with 1.0 ppr. It's a double edged sword when it comes to running backs but I think it pays off in the end if you missed out on an elite RB and made up for it with an elite WR.

I just imagine getting a full point per reception and can't help but feel the numbers are going to be crazy. Maybe that's just me.

Shagwell

PPR is now 0.5.

o4lOarj.gif

You are an awesome commissioner. Cheers for sorting out the payment thing as well, just submitted my fee.

Bishman

o4lOarj.gif

You are an awesome commissioner. Cheers for sorting out the payment thing as well, just submitted my fee.

PPR is new to a couple of people, so 0.5 is a good transition into it. Next year, we will push to full 1.0 PPR. And thanks btw! =)

I don't wanna be that Guy, but I think I will back out. Not sure what the commissioners wait list is like?

What happened? PM please.

Anyone doing any mock drafts? I've done a couple. I'm so ready for the draft!

PPR is new to a couple of people, so 0.5 is a good transition into it. Next year, we will push to full 1.0 PPR. And thanks btw! =)

What happened? PM please.

Anyone doing any mock drafts? I've done a couple. I'm so ready for the draft!

Picking first is HORRIBLE. I have done a plethora of drafts and have got shit results everytime. Hey least I get AP! Let me know if you wanna do some mocks.

Bishman

Picking first is HORRIBLE. I have done a plethora of drafts and have got shit results everytime. Hey least I get AP! Let me know if you wanna do some mocks.

Picking first isn't too bad. But a lot of pressure to nail your first two picks. Imagine if AP is a bust. Your team is done. And I will.

Spades

Posted this on the league message board, but is there any chance of bringing the draft forward by a few hours? Currently it starts at 1am for me :(

I'd really appreciate it if we could.

Well I think my draft this weekend went pretty well. I ended up with the 7th pick (snake draft). I'm pretty confident in my team.

-Cam Newton
-Jamal Charles
-Chris Johnson
-Wes Welker
-Marques Colston
-Jason Witten
-DeAngelo Williams
-Seahawks Def
-Sebastian Janikowski

Bench: Ronnie Hillman, Aaron Dobson, Carson Palmer, Jermicheal Finley, Toby Gerhart, Rueben Randle, and somone else I can't remember.

I proposed a trade to the owner of Montee Ball of Hillman and Williams for Roddy White, but he hasn't responded..I'd be happy if he accepted..lol

Thanks for the feedback previously.

Shagwell

The further away we pull the draft from Breaking Bad the better haha. Hopefully everyone gets their fee in this week I'm itching to get this bad boy rolling.

Posted this on the league message board, but is there any chance of bringing the draft forward by a few hours? Currently it starts at 1am for me :(

I'd really appreciate it if we could.

Shirtless Draft is at 2PM PST, this one is at 5PM PST. Earlier would be problematic for several Degenerate league members

Bishman

Well I think my draft this weekend went pretty well. I ended up with the 7th pick (snake draft). I'm pretty confident in my team.

-Cam Newton
-Jamal Charles
-Chris Johnson
-Wes Welker
-Marques Colston
-Jason Witten
-DeAngelo Williams
-Seahawks Def
-Sebastian Janikowski

Bench: Ronnie Hillman, Aaron Dobson, Carson Palmer, Jermicheal Finley, Toby Gerhart, Rueben Randle, and somone else I can't remember.

I proposed a trade to the owner of Montee Ball of Hillman and Williams for Roddy White, but he hasn't responded..I'd be happy if he accepted..lol

Thanks for the feedback previously.
Your starting unit is top notch. Charles + CJ2K combo will be deadly and Cam is a top 5 QB. Your bench is weak, very weak. You better start working the waivers for depth. lol.

Roster Positions: QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R/T, W/R/T, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Holy shit. We're lookin at 200+ pts a game.
I think I'm going to drop a flex position. One less round to draft and the waivers / free agency pool won't be so depleted.

Shirtless Draft is at 2PM PST, this one is at 5PM PST. Earlier would be problematic for several Degenerate league members
The draft time will stay the same. Sorry Spades.

And it is too late to change the draft date. Advice: set your OWN pre-draft rankings and queue of players you want to draft early in advance.

Your starting unit is top notch. Charles + CJ2K combo will be deadly and Cam is a top 5 QB. Your bench is weak, very weak. You better start working the waivers for depth. lol.

Thx, but yeah, I hear ya about the bench. It kind of sucks, but you're right..That what waivers are for...I do have another question.

I'm in another league which is a keeper league. I have the second pick in each round of the draft. Each team keep 7 players. Anyways, I have "enough" RBs (Gore, Sproles, Bradshaw, A. Brown)...And am short on WR (Bowe, that's it)...

I know Bell and Lacy will most likely go 1 and 2...And I know I should probably look to the future, BUT....the question is..Should I take Tavon Austin with the 2nd pick if Bell isn't there?

I'm basically sold on Bell if he drops to me. I'll take him, but I'm not sold on Lacy as it could be him or Franklin winning the carries..I need WRs, Austin seems like a sure thing as he'll be the Rams only legit offensive weapon..

So yeah, Austin over Lacy with the 2nd pick in a keeper league? I'm assuming Bell will go 1st. Is this a good gameplan?

Shagwell

Yahoo's giving me a notification that our league currently has an odd number of teams and can't start as a head-to-head until that's ratified.

I'm guessing someone dropped out?

Bishman

Yahoo's giving me a notification that our league currently has an odd number of teams and can't start as a head-to-head until that's ratified.

I'm guessing someone dropped out?

BlackGhost dropped out. I sent invites to people on the waitlist but they haven't joined yet.

I am getting slightly annoyed with the people who haven't paid. No PMs, no thread posts when they are going to pay, or yahoo messages. BlackGhost told me in advance, so that was cool.

I know a lot of people on GAF are interested in Fantasy Football. So if anyone wants to help recruit players in case some people don't pay by the deadline - go ahead. They will need to pay their $25 on entry to the league on the dot. After the deadline, the teams that haven't paid will be booted and wait list teams will be invited ASAP.

BlackGhost dropped out. I sent invites to people on the waitlist but they haven't joined yet.

I am getting slightly annoyed with the people who haven't paid. No PMs, no thread posts when they are going to pay, or yahoo messages. BlackGhost told me in advance, so that was cool.

I know a lot of people on GAF are interested in Fantasy Football. So if anyone wants to help recruit players in case some people don't pay by the deadline - go ahead. They will need to pay their $25 on entry to the league on the dot. After the deadline, the teams that haven't paid will be booted and wait list teams will be invited ASAP.
Maybe make a post in the main football thread saying we have openings.

Shagwell

We have three on the waitlist right now and there's been a couple posts in here IIRC lamenting that they were too late to catch this thread. That should do, right?

Fantomex

Yo I was gonna pay before the draft. But I can only transfer paypal money in the thousands from my swiss account. But if you guys want I can pay already.

/SWAG

Shagwell

We now have 14 teams. Lock teams or add 2 more teams before draft Sunday?

Maybe PM those on the waitlist and if see if they reply quickly and believe they can make the payment before Sunday? If they do then voila we're back to where we were and if not then at least we tried and there's absolutely nothing wrong with a 14 man league.

Lock it. 14 One division. Each team plays each other once. 13 weeks. 6 team Playoffs weeks 14 15 16. Best amount of people for a league imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom