• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, welcome to .webm - the FUTURE (of burning out your CPU)

Dennis

Banned
Yeah, it's probably because the website hosting all those webm files (pomf.se) is getting hammered.

pomf.se is a free service, but our hosting bill isn't — we need almost $100 a month for that. Donations help keep pomf.se free, online, and fast. Everything (after fees) goes to the hosting bill

Guys, we may have a problem. When pomf.se gets their $10,000 next hosting bill they are probably going to have shut down.

Then what do we do?

Any other sites like it? Don't say gfycat.

EL CUCO

Holy goodness, my phone just crapped out clicking on a couple different ones. It got stuck in a loop vibrating. I think it went into shock. Had to restart it, not even joking!
7pQst0F.jpg

LoveCake

Guys, we may have a problem. When pomf.se gets their $10,000 next hosting bill they are probably going to have shut down.

Then what do we do?

Any other sites like it? Don't say gfycat.

i was wondering the same thing myself, especially if 4chan & Reddit are using it for hosting as well.

i'm sure there are other hosts we just need to find them, if Reddit are using it then i would think imgur will allow them to be hosted soon.

Falk

that puzzling face
Alot of people are posting ridiculously large files with high resolution and bit rate. The smaller ones load almost instantly for me.

If these ever get the go for embedding on GAF, there needs to be some kind of way to tell how big they are. It's great that people post wifs of games in great detail, but not everyone wants to open a gigantic video when a modest 360p one will suffice.

If anything, any 'official' GAF extension needs to impose limitations the same way 4chan ones do if it is to 'replace' GIF. Sniffing the header for bitrate and dimension to compare to accepted ceilings, for one, and only autoplaying those that comply to the standards would go a long way from letting things get out of hand.

(Although to be fair there aren't any actual GIF filesize/dimension limits on NeoGAF either)

This is an interesting development. I wonder how it will play out. In general, web video is kind of a mess. Some browsers support WebM, most support H.264/MP4 in some way or other. Sadly, there is no single format proscribed in the standard that is supported everywhere, making it hard to use if you want to optimize compatibility, because you need to have encodes in multiple formats available to send to the user, depending on what they can play.

From a technical point of view, H.264 has widely available hardware decoders, making it much easier to play higher resolution files on otherwise weaker hardware with lower power cost. From a size/quality point of view, H.264 encoded with x264 easily beats WebM. Patents can be a problem, but Cisco did an interesting legal hack that could make things easier on the decoder side.

The newer formats, VP9 and HEVC, are not too widely supported and have ridiculously slow encoders. HEVC decoders are somewhat reasonable, performance-wise. I don't know much about VP9 decoders. Compared to a high quality H.264 encode made with x264, current VP9 and HEVC can still (often?) fail to deliver a perceptually superior result, due to the refined psy models in x264. They are improving, however.

Compared to GIF, even WebM should be way more efficient, of course.

If anything, any 'official' GAF extension needs to impose limitations the same way 4chan ones do if it is to 'replace' GIF. Sniffing the header for bitrate and dimension to compare to accepted ceilings, for one, and only autoplaying those that comply to the standards would go a long way from letting things get out of hand.
That would be very tricky to do in a reliable way, unless you also build a video hosting service that reencodes videos to fall within specifications to go along with it. There's a reason YouTube no longer passes through un-reencoded videos, even if they seem to fall within the specs where they used to do it.

Majukun

still don't understand why i can load with no problem soe of these,but others will stutter or never load completely...maybe my cpu is just too shitty

anyway,any chance the firefox extension will receive updates like the chrome one?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone notice that Sunhi posts (for example) is black on this page? Almost all the quotes are black. Not sure why.

How are you guys recording these videos? Someone, tech me, please!

How I did mine:

1. I had a video recorded with fraps from some time ago.
2. I had converted that video to mp4 using handbrake.
3. Selected a few seconds from the mp4 video, created a new mp4 video (~23 MiB). Select "seconds" instead of "chapters" on handbrake.
4. Uploaded it to dropbox.
5. Used http://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-webm to convert the video.
6. Uploaded it to pomf.se
7. Posted it in url tags.

gngf123

How are you guys recording these videos? Someone, tech me, please!

Use a good video recording software (Fraps, DxTory, etc) to record the raw footage, and then convert it to a WebM using ffmpeg.

OBS works as a free solution, and I've been playing around with it. I really can't get high quality footage out of it though, it washes the colours out and highly compresses the video to streaming quality regardless of what settings I use.

DaBoss

I'm sure other Firefox users have noticed that some wifs stutters at the end. I think I figured it out. It is the audio causing that. It seems the wifs with audio stutters at the end.

Falk

that puzzling face
That would be very tricky to do in a reliable way, unless you also build a video hosting service that reencodes videos to fall within specifications to go along with it. There's a reason YouTube no longer passes through un-reencoded videos, even if they seem to fall within the specs where they used to do it.

I'm not saying the *host* needs to enforce the ceilings. I'm saying that the chrome extension or whatever that parses urls and embeds them automatically should check them out, and only load/autoplay them if they're compliant, and otherwise display only the preview frame (with optional play-on-click for example).

I've noticed another issue with these things. Whenever I load up a page using the "first unread post" feature, it loads the page up with the first unread post, then loads the .webm's, scrolling the page upwards. Is there a way to fix that?

EDIT: Seems to only happen to pages that have a lot of these things.

I'm not saying the *host* needs to enforce the ceilings. I'm saying that the chrome extension or whatever that parses urls and embeds them automatically should check them out, and only load/autoplay them if they're compliant, and otherwise display only the preview frame (with optional play-on-click for example).

Yes, I understood that. It would be very tricky. Bitrate values in video file headers, if given at all, tend to be notoriously wrong in my experience. The only way to make sure, would be to process the whole video and if you do that on the client, it's too late already.

Edit: Just tried the FF extension. Hmpf. The only thing I'm getting is an "X" with "Video format or MIME type is not supported". Odd, I would have assumed that the official FF28 build for amd64/linux has support for WebM.

Edit 2: Got it working. Disabling WebM support in about:config disables WebM support. Who would have thought...

Top Bottom