• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, welcome to .webm - the FUTURE (of burning out your CPU)

Will this make some gaffers realize how great high framerates are for videogames?

30fps vs 60fps comparisons with sound.

Dark Souls 2 console target 30fps:
"it looks like a slideshow"
"omg horrible"

PC:
"smooth as butter"

----

Glitches/bugs all day everyday for games ppl want to trash.

---

Youtube soon adds 60fps option to "compete". Calling it now.

Redmoon

GAF is known for their E3 gifs. This will change everything.

However... I do wonder about the impact on people who don't know to install the add-ons for this. If I were to hop into an E3 thread and all I saw were just links and not actual videos, some of the impact would be lost.

I'd assume it would work like normal gif/youtube/video embedding, a server-side script or whatnot, that auto embeds them with the wrap:

[WEBM]webmhere[/WEBM] or something

And you could customize playback options/settings in your User CP

So long as your browser/device supports it, it would work.
Forgive me if im misled, I know little about web/html and the like.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What makes it better than embedded, autoplaying mp4, which has much better browser support? It seems weird that this is suddenly a thing.

MP4 would be much preferred by me, but I can settle for WebM if that's whats gonna become Gaf standard.

Garteal

I'd assume it would work like normal gif/youtube/video embedding, a server-side script or whatnot, that auto embeds them with the wrap:

[WEBM]webmhere[/WEBM] or something

And you could customize playback options/settings in your User CP

So long as your browser/device supports it, it would work.
Forgive me if im misled, I know little about web/html and the like.
Every modern browser already supports HTML5. All browsers that support the HTML5 media tag and the webm codec can play these out of the box.
All GAF has to do is simply add an option for the video tag where we can specify the source for. It's already built-in. GAF just has to allow it now.

This is so infuriating. I can't get WebM to work on my surface with IE. I don't plan on using any other browser. I quite like IE and it's deeply integrated into the surface.

Falk

that puzzling face
Youtube soon adds 60fps option to "compete". Calling it now.

Considering how many people have wanted this for -forever- and it has no effect on bandwidth (encode bitrate being the factor) and minimal effect on CPU usage, I don't understand why Youtube hasn't done this in like... 2008.

MP4 would be much preferred by me, but I can settle for WebM if that's whats gonna become Gaf standard.

Would this have anything to do with MP4 containers allowing more stream/codec types whereas webm/vp8 is a little more 'standardized'? I'd see that as being a little more failsafe, at least.

SuperSah

Banned
Can someone webm me this:

iKXCtbprzJPCV.gif

These are crazy. I appreciate the extension but may have to disable it and use hoverzoom (or whatever I use now) because these are killing my work laptop!

ToD_

It turns out this pomf.se hosting site is blocked at work. So as much as I'd like this format to take over gifs, I can't see the vast majority of them as of now!

Top Bottom