• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, welcome to .webm - the FUTURE (of burning out your CPU)

Ivan

This is awesome, we should upgrade gaf immediately :).

There is loop option, but can it be default like on gifs?

These are so beautiful,
mr-t-crying.gif

I'd gladly Abandon the GIF Format for this.

How resource heavy is it? It seems to be running like silk on Chrome. I can only assume this is some sort of magic or witch craft. Either way it's incredible.

No more than, say, watching videoes on youtube. Any modern computer has hardware acceleration that should be utilized when watching these.

Dambrosi

Banned
Why the last one has no sound? Wasted opportunity.

No more than, say, watching videoes on youtube. Any modern computer has hardware acceleration that should be utilized when watching these.
Would it be possible to stream live content in WebM? Twitch could make serious bank.

xemumanic

WebM (or I think WebP to be more specific given the use case) is clearly better than .GIF.

But vs H.264, oh hells no.
zWVbK.gif

Lebon14

webp would be better since it's an image format instead of video so embedding and auto-looping would be easier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webp

uses the same compression algorithm so quality should be comparable

I add my voice to this possible solution.

The only thing is that, as far as I know, if you save said picture to your hdd, well, Windows' default picture viewing software doesn't support. XNView and other software does though (and is multiplatform too).

Lebon14

4chan doesn't allow audio on .webm's. Moot's not a fan of screamers, especially when people auto-enable images and files like this.

Which leads to the potential problem .webm video format brings. Sound. If there's sound and they are embedded to posts and they all start at the same time. That's chaos and could bring screamer-trolling. That's why .webp would be the better alternative since it's a picture format.

Jigolo

They are beautiful! I wish they had sound!!!

http://a.pomf.se/nmcgyp.webm

Which leads to the potential problem .webm video format brings. Sound. If there's sound and they are embedded to posts and they all start at the same time. That's chaos and could bring screamer-trolling. That's why .webp would be the better alternative since it's a picture format.

Perhaps it is a better format but I haven't seen much of it as of yet so I can't comment. Hell I don't know much about these formats. All I know is that the benefits from this format (webm) as compared to GIF are huge.

Rubius

I'm in a inuit village on a wireless modem that connect to a satellite dish. They load kinda slow, but about as fast as gifs. Pretty cool.

xemumanic

VP9 kicks H.264's ass. The comparison to H.265 is another story with pro's and con's for each.

The only advantage it has is being free. It doesn't win on any technical level vs H.264. No matter what anyone says because of the patent debate and all that other stuff, the black and white truth is it doesn't match up.

Damaniel

Banned
Am I the only one not particularly impressed by these? Many seem to be playing back at far faster than 60fps (or at least appear to be), and the macroblocking on most of them looks worse than the color dithering of an average GIF. Sure, they load fast, but they end up being blurry, blocky messes (in both Firefox and Chrome).

Something needs to make the animated GIF go away once and for all, but can't it be something that looks nice everywhere?

DirtyLarry

Wow. These load just as fast as any image format. JPEG. PNG. GIF. Yet they look fantastic.

Any additional information on how to create one of these?

clem84

Gold Member
nothing works. I was able to link the files to the player but when I click on the files I just get a blank (green) screen. When I click on the files directly in Internet explorer nothing happens. This thing is broken.

Rubius

http://a.pomf.se/nmcgyp.webm

Perhaps it is a better format but I haven't seen much of it as of yet so I can't comment. Hell I don't know much about these formats. All I know is that the benefits from this format (webm) as compared to GIF are huge.

Welp there is the problem. Imagine opening a page on Neogaf and having 100 sounds. Not cool brah. Maybe if the sound was disabled by default it would be okay?

nothing works. I was able to link the files to the player but when I click on the files I just get a blank (green) screen. When I click on the files directly in Internet explorer nothing happens. This thing is broken.

Internet Explorer do not support it. Only Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
Internet Explorer is years behind browser wise. Chrome is the best Browser out there with 505/555 point. IE 11 is at 376/555

Top Bottom