• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, welcome to .webm - the FUTURE (of burning out your CPU)

It's so funny seeing people get so excited about this when GAF Gold members have had .gifs automatically converted to .webms for awhile now.

Seriously though, GAF needs to have embed support for this by E3

Blizzard

Banned
I've tried two different browsers so far (Firefox 28.0 and Internet Explorer 10), and the only thing that has worked with this is downloading and playing with VLC.

Charcoal

http://i.4cdn.org/tv/src/1396818909204.webm (somewhat nsfw)

tumblr_m7diig61WG1qe6nyz_medium.gif
attachment.php

xemumanic

So file size isn't an advantage? Or did you not know that VPx files are generally smaller than their H.26x counterparts?

...............and don't match up in quality. There's been numerous comparisons, it just doesn't win. I get the motivation and desire for it, but it doesn't match up. Close, but no cigar.

But enough of this debate. This thread is about using it as a .GIF replacement, where its a CLEAR advantage. Also, its pretty obvious why it shouldn't have audio if its going to be used as a replacement image format.

The question I have is, why isn't it WebP? And isn't WebP just WebM renamed and without an audio stream, but otherwise unchanged? Or is there more to it?

Exentryk

The play and pause button needs to go. Or there should be some auto play function. Otherwise it's just an embedded video like .mov etc.

mothball

I remember posting in a gif thread a while back that it's really shitty that we deal with low res, low-quality 50+ MB gifs when WebM exists. I really hope they become embeddable here. There's even a "muted" attribute in the HTML5 video tag, so that takes care of the sound issue. And to those nitpicking the quality, remember that every 4chan WebM in here is under 3MB.

Now all we need is a WebM screen capture program that's as easy to use as GifCam

The play and pause button needs to go. Or there should be some auto play function. Otherwise it's just an embedded video like .mov etc.

The "controls" attribute of the video tag allows the controls to be hidden. There's also a "loop" attribute.

Mr.Mike

Right Click > Loop

I'm sure there will be a chrome extension that does this automatically really soon.

Lebon14

Is there no way to embed them paused?

That, I don't know. If you are embedding them, you pretty much load them. However, a good developper could come up with something. For exemple, the embedded content only load if you press a button under the webm/webp, etc.

jwk94

Yeah there's five of those.
It's become a contest to make the most extravagant transformation sequence.

Ugh. That's a complete turn off. Not even sure if I want to make the effort of watching that series. What's better: nanoha series, the Pretty Cure series, or Madoka series?

coldfoot

Banned
Wouldn't it be easier to have a format based on H.264 video in a container just like gif that autoplays and autoloops without sound? Pretty much every browser and mobile device has h.264 decoding built in.
Or websites can easily programmed to embed h264 video files and play them without sound just like how vine works from inside twitter.

Dambrosi

Banned
...and this thread just sold me a Wii U. Thanks a lot, NeoGAF.

Ugh. That's a complete turn off. Not even sure if I want to make the effort of watching that series. What's better: nanoha series, the Pretty Cure series, or Madoka series?
Madoka, without a shadow of a doubt...but watch the other two and some Sailor Moon first. Madoka is a
really bizarre and somewhat grimdark
deconstruction of the genre, and you need some background knowledge of the tropes involved to appreciate it fully. Especially if you're considering watching the Madoka movies.

Mr.Mike

Wouldn't it be easier to have a format based on H.264 video in a container just like gif that autoplays and autoloops without sound? Pretty much every browser and mobile device has h.264 decoding built in.

Looks like 4chan has set the standard for the internet here.

GavinUK86

Hmm. I think it would be better if they looped automatically and dropped the on screen controls so they're pretty much like higher quality gifs instead of, for lack of a better term, videos.

We're getting off topic here but those are only in the third movie and they're insanely well animated if you're going to watch a mahou shojo series you gotta deal with transformation sequences.

Man, I really hope .webm takes off because of this, but I do wish the regular image hosting sites add this format to their roster. I don't want to have to have yet another account to host my uploaded media.

This format is way smaller in size than h.264, since the video codec is one that's being promoted for 4K streaming and is way more efficient at compression.

What did I just see, and how do I get it?
Go here to download the encoder, then here to download a GUI for it.

coldfoot

Banned
This format is way smaller in size than h.264, since the video codec is one that's being promoted for 4K streaming and is way more efficient at compression.
It's the same tech as h.264, and it's not more efficient at all, look at gfycat.com to see what I mean.

Top Bottom