• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, welcome to .webm - the FUTURE (of burning out your CPU)

Would it be possible to stream live content in WebM? Twitch could make serious bank.

Twitch is already using MPEG-4/h.264, which is roughly on par with WebM/VP8. Same with youtube, and basically every other online video source worth a damn nowadays. "gfycat.com" has been doing GIF -> MPEG-4 conversions/embeds with HTML5 for awhile now, which is pretty similar to what we're seeing in this thread: http://www.reddit.com/domain/gfycat.com/top/?sort=top&t=all It just seems that 4chan is the first major website(?) to declare usage of webm as a replacement for short animated images

Don't forget that the point of comparison here is against GIF, so the level of improvement is somewhere between a factor of 100 and 1,000.

Lebon14

Perhaps it is a better format but I haven't seen much of it as of yet so I can't comment. Hell I don't know much about these formats. All I know is that the benefits from this format (webm) as compared to GIF are huge.

Indeed, they are still pretty new formats and I agree that either format would bring considerable benefits. However, if we choose the video format (webm) over the picture format (webp), NeoGAF need to have a rule in place for potential screamer-trolling if audio is permitted in webm.

Haunted

If we can't embed these into a thread so they're immediately viable (no clicks required), they won't replace .gifs. Looking how they're played in a video player in the browser, I don't see how this would work.

Quality does look great, though.

Honestly, I don't really see what the fuss is all about.

The standard's been around for years, is just that no one thought about stripping the audio from it and using it as a viable replacement for the aging .gif/.jif format.

You could've done the same with .H264 encoded .mp4 files by stripping out the audio and linking them in this threads. The quality differential between VP8 (webm) and .H264 (the defacto standard for streaming video) is pretty much a wash.

Even youtube's 720p/1080p files are already encoded using .H264 and on the HTML5 site, they've already been using webm afaik.

Damaniel

Banned
nothing works. I was able to link the files to the player but when I click on the files I just get a blank (green) screen. When I click on the files directly in Internet explorer nothing happens. This thing is broken.

Found your problem. Get rid of IE and use anything else, stat. Microsoft's insistence on not adhering to standards holds the rest of the Web back needlessly.

(I've seen a few webm examples that look fine, but I've also seen a few that look quite bad. Encoding is going to be a lot more important, especially for high-motion images, and some of the ones out there seem to have sacrificed the image quality too much to keep the size under the limits that 4chan is imposing on their site. If NeoGAF starts allowing inlined webm, hopefully there will be fewer limitations placed on size, length, and quality. And please, PLEASE don't allow sound in them!)

Redmoon

If we can't embed these into a thread so they're immediately viable (no clicks required), they won't replace .gifs. Looking how they're played in the video browser, I don't think this will ever happen.

This, and they need to endlessly loop, looses its charm when its a one time run.

Will say though, these look great, run smooth, and use less bandwidth it seems.

Am I the only one not particularly impressed by these? Many seem to be playing back at far faster than 60fps (or at least appear to be), and the macroblocking on most of them looks worse than the color dithering of an average GIF. Sure, they load fast, but they end up being blurry, blocky messes (in both Firefox and Chrome).

Something needs to make the animated GIF go away once and for all, but can't it be something that looks nice everywhere?

They don't look blurry or blocky to me, on chrome and FF.

This, and they need to endlessly loop, looses its charm when its a one time run.

I think the application for message boards, it is what the board supports. On 4chan they autoloop when they are embedded, once you click them. I like it that way,so not everything is moving at once if you don't want it to, you have to click them first.

If we can't embed these into a thread so they're immediately viable (no clicks required), they won't replace .gifs. Looking how they're played in the video browser, I don't think this will ever happen.

Quality looks great, though.

They can definitely be embedded and I'm fairly certain they can be set to autoplay.

sunnz

Anyone know of a chrome app/extension or something that can loop the gifs, dislike having to press play.

Yes I did google it, didn't find anything useful.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Which leads to the potential problem .webm video format brings. Sound. If there's sound and they are embedded to posts and they all start at the same time. That's chaos and could bring screamer-trolling. That's why .webp would be the better alternative since it's a picture format.

Is there no way to embed them paused?

Damaniel

Banned
They don't look blurry or blocky to me, on chrome and FF.

I should say they don't *all* look bad, but some of them are suffering quite a bit from encoding limitations. I'm going to come back to this thread on my laptop and see how things look there; maybe it's just my PC that's messed up.

Is there no way to embed them paused?

Or only allow them to be embedded inline if they have no audio stream, perhaps.

Bsigg12

If you go to 4chan, you can see them embedded and in certain browsers click right and select loop. In theory you could have them automatically set to loop with no sound if embedded with a script.

Opening a GAF thread packed with gifs is an absolute nightmare on my iPhone 4 (yeah I know, replacing soon). You never know what's inside when you click it and it crawls more often than not. We need to become more efficient.

Truespeed

The only advantage it has is being free. It doesn't win on any technical level vs H.264. No matter what anyone says because of the patent debate and all that other stuff, the black and white truth is it doesn't match up.

So file size isn't an advantage? Or did you not know that VPx files are generally smaller than their H.26x counterparts?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
AFAIK, this is really no different than linking to short MP4 files. WEBM is another video format, produced by Google. So if one is embeddable at GAF (using <video> tag) the other one would be as well. Safari on Mac/iOS don't support webm btw.

From Wikipedia:

Google has proposed using WebP for animated images as an alternative to the popular GIF, citing the advantages of 24-bit color with transparency, combining frames with lossy and lossless compression in the same animation, and as well as support for seeking to specific frames.[15] They report a 64% reduction in file size for images converted from animated GIFs to lossy WebP, and a 19% reduction when converted to lossless WebP.

Top Bottom