• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, welcome to .webm - the FUTURE (of burning out your CPU)

Easier said than done my friend. Apple and Microsoft are pretty hard-headed in that domain. Look, MS won't even adopt OGG and OGM for HTML5 video and audio; they are thick-headed toward H264 and AAC. Standard-wise, THAT is the problem. Note that even if we, gamers, start to adopt it, we are still a small population that uses it.

It's time to make our own standards! Make NeoGAF Chrome exclusive!

Lebon14

This "small population" got the xbox drm-free

Because the product is aimed toward that small population. Webm and webp are... more general public.

Isn't it open source? If the demand is present, would they not implement?

Yeah, it is. But MS and Apple, like I said, are so thick-headed and their head are so far up their arse that they won't even bother even if it's open source.

Will the general public will use such feature? Is it worth our time implementing, debugging and updating for the people who will be using it?
That's what the companies are thinking.

Jimca2

Neo Member
Just installed the Chrome extention. This is incredible! I had no idea what WebM was before checking out this thread.

I saw the Wiki for VP8. If this container has been around since 2010, why the sudden attention? Just because it's now allowed on 4chan?

EDIT:

Now allowed on GAF, too? Oh shit.

Lebon14

That's because Apple and Microsoft both have patent interests in MPEG/h264. You could easily make a script that falls back to a gif version if the browser doesn't support webm though.

There we go. Until MS and Apple decide to remove their interrests, I'm pretty sure that it's what holding up WEBM and WEBP to be widely adopted as well as Vorbis audio and video in HTML 5 for their respective browsers.

Here's the deal.

H.264 and WebM are both very similar formats. WebM is not patent encumbered. Google has adopted it as their preferred video format. On the other hand, H .264 is extremely widely adopted, and is usually built into mobile hardware decoding chips. They are kissing cousins on a technical side, but different politically.

iPhones have hardware that decode H .264 files but not WebM files. Most devices can't decode WebM files right now unless they use a huge chunk of CPU. So it's going to be at a bit of a disadvantage for mobile. Some android devices may contain dedicated WebM decoding hardware, I'm not too sure.

My Xperia Z1S can play these. Looks beautiful.

Dennis

Banned
Guys, guys......

What is going to happen if I post my 2 minute looping 2560 x 1600 webm?

Am I going fry thousands of CPUs around the world?

This is some Neuromancer shit right here.

They load instantly and run flawlessly on my piece of shit computer and network. I don't even want to think about how long it would've taken to load a full screen 14 second gif.

What kind of sorcery is this

A-V-B

They load instantly and run flawlessly on my piece of shit computer and network. I don't even want to think about how long it would've taken to load a full screen 14 second gif.

fact is we've been using gifs for decades

we should've found something new a long time ago...

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

12710043529791.jpg

antitrop

YES!

I was starting to hack together a userscript for this. First attempt crashed the shit out my chrome tab when it tried to load all the webms :p

The first page of this thread pushes all 8 of my CPU threads to 100% usage with Andrex's script.

Dumped the Javascript code in the OP into my YouTube embed Firefox userscript and now I have the power of embedded .webms on my browser.

Note: NoScript users have to whitelist the host domains to get them to display.

Top Bottom