• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, welcome to .webm - the FUTURE (of burning out your CPU)

xemumanic

This format is way smaller in size than h.264, since the video codec is one that's being promoted for 4K streaming and is way more efficient at compression.

VP9 is the one being pushed for YouTube 4K streaming, but generally HEVC/H.265 is being pushed for 4K.

coldfoot

Banned
It's not the same tech as h.264, it's VP8/VP9.

It's also royalty/patent free.

It's based on the same freaking algorithms. VP8 is pretty much a subset of h264, etc.
Who cares about royalties/patents? Every device, most importantly mobile has h264 decoding built in, and encoding software are also free.

Schrade

Not sure why everyone is freaking out over this. It's just like linking a .mp4 with h.264 video.

As a matter of fact, h.264 would be even better and could end up smaller than the codec used in the webm stuff. (VP9 I believe is what it is)

Not sure why everyone is freaking out over this. It's just like linking a .mp4 with h.264 video.

As a matter of fact, h.264 would be even better and could end up smaller than the codec used in the webm stuff. (VP9 I believe is what it is)

If you've read the thread people are "freaking out" because it's been allowed on 4chan and people wouldn't mind it on here because it's better than .gifs in every way.

Post examples! We're clueless and seeing is believing!

This is pretty impressive, but if all it's ever used for is higher quality animated gifs, then what a waste of the technology.

Forgive me if my assumptions are off base, I've never heard of this before today.

Kibbles

I don't get it, it's just a bunch of short videos.
edit: derp oh embed them automatically vs gifs, yeah. I've never seen that happen before though.

It's based on the same freaking algorithms. VP8 is pretty much a subset of h264, etc.

No it isn't. If it was, then VP8 wouldn't be patent free, it would just be an open source implementation of h.264 like x264. It's an entirely different codec.

Who cares about royalties/patents? Every device, most importantly mobile has h264 decoding built in, and encoding software are also free.

No, the software isn't free. I'd prefer to not have to pay to watch animation on the internet, nor have to go through that dumb rights bullshit that GIF went through in the 90's.

A-V-B

YouTube needs to step up its game to 60fps, really. After basking in high framerate warmth, you really... don't want... anything... else...

Lebon14

No matter how awesome webm/webp is, there's another obstacle before its mass adoption: it's not compatible on all browsers and/or browser is missing features related to the format. SAFARI and IE are still not compatible with it and Firefox needs a plugin to enable looping. So, I think it's a little off before completely replacing GIF.

A-V-B

No matter how awesome webm/webp is, there's another obstacle before its mass adoption: it's not compatible on all browsers and/or browser is missing features related to the format. Opera and IE are still not compatible with it and Firefox needs a plugin to enable looping. So, I think it's a little off before completely replacing GIF.

Shouldn't be too hard, should it? Once people start using it, phones will just have to start adapting.

Well, anything with a good quality/size ratio that can destroy gifs has my enthusiasm. Most game threads destroy my paltry DSL connection. Animated GIFs got popular because they're supported on most browsers/devices, but it's an archaic, lossless format. Very inefficient.

This is pretty impressive, but if all it's ever used for is higher quality animated gifs, then what a waste of the technology.

Forgive me if my assumptions are off base, I've never heard of this before today.

It's used for video encoding already, it just happens to be in a format that people can treat like images.

No matter how awesome webm/webp is, there's another obstacle before its mass adoption: it's not compatible on all browsers and/or browser is missing features related to the format. Opera and IE are still not compatible with it and Firefox needs a plugin to enable looping. So, I think it's a little off before completely replacing GIF.

Isn't it open source? If the demand is present, would they not implement?

Lebon14

Shouldn't be too hard, should it? Once people start using it, phones will just have to start adapting.

Easier said than done my friend. Apple and Microsoft are pretty hard-headed in that domain. Look, MS won't even adopt OGG and OGM for HTML5 video and audio; they are thick-headed toward H264 and AAC. Standard-wise, THAT is the problem. Note that even if we, gamers, start to adopt it, we are still a small population that uses it.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Easier said than done my friend. Apple and Microsoft are pretty hard-headed in that domain. Look, MS won't even adopt OGG and OGM for HTML5 video and audio; they are thick-headed toward H264 and AAC. Standard-wise, THAT is the problem. Note that even if we, gamers, start to adopt it, we are still a small population that uses it.

This "small population" got the xbox drm-free

Koozek

What's FFXV GAF doing? Need Webm!!!

Haha, came in wanting to ask the same!
Can someone please make one of these beautiful things of some FFXV GIFs, especially the one where Noctis is about to jump over to the airship with his friends on (from the extended, 9-secs-extra E3 trailer)? That'd be awesome :)

Top Bottom