• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Glass

The user who was asking for questions for his interview with Kevin Franklin the other day, wish I'd thought of asking if Warzone was going to be used to get vehicles like the brute chopper in without having to be in the campaign, since I'm guessing we won't be seeing those beautiful bastards anytime soon.

Ein Bear

The user who was asking for questions for his interview with Kevin Franklin the other day, wish I'd thought of asking if Warzone was going to be used to get vehicles like the brute chopper in without having to be in the campaign, since I'm guessing we won't be seeing those beautiful bastards anytime soon.

I miss all the Brute stuff. The spike/fire grenades were the best in Halo 3, and the Spiker, Mauler and Brute Shot were all really fun to use too.

I'm still hoping that the Brutes make an appearance in Halo 5, but kind of feel like they'd have been announced by now if they were going to.

solis74

I think the Master Chief, due to a much more serious impending threat, is possibly activating these 'guardian' devices because they will be desperately needed in order to protect humanity against whatever is coming next. These things may not all necessarily be threats to humanity, but due to the sheer scale of destruction caused upon their awakening, it makes sense how people would view anyone that is potentially activating such things -- whether intentionally or unintentionally -- as a threat that needs to be stopped at all costs.

hmmmm could well be?

I miss all the Brute stuff. The spike/fire grenades were the best in Halo 3, and the Spiker, Mauler and Brute Shot were all really fun to use too.

I'm still hoping that the Brutes make an appearance in Halo 5, but kind of feel like they'd have been announced by now if they were going to.

Never say never. There was the gravity hammer in Halo 4 in the weapons room before the final fight.

ryan299

Is the phaeton and rocket goose the only new vehicles in the game?

Weapon wise we have:
Hydra
Plasma caster
Forerunner turret
And the variations of existing weapons.

Correct?

OEM

So no new trailer is confirmed correct? The one that was leaked on Friday, and they uploaded official version was initially the one coming out today right?

Is the phaeton and rocket goose the only new vehicles in the game?

Weapon wise we have:
Hydra
Plasma caster
Forerunner turret
And the variations of existing weapons.

Correct?

New forerunner splinter grenade and the functionality of most forerunner weapons are completely different than their H4 incarnations.

Bolt shot is basically a new gun for example

singhr1

It was lame how they got rid of the ricochet in Halo 3 that the Brute Shot had in Halo 2. And that was probably why it wasn't as effective for you.

I much prefer the Halo 3 brute shot to the Halo 2 one in multiplayer though. I feel like I'm more accurate with it and it absolutely destroys vehicles by sending them flying due to their concussive force.

m23

So no new trailer is confirmed correct? The one that was leaked on Friday, and they uploaded official version was initially the one coming out today right?

I would assume they'd be showing the same trailer from Friday on TV, is that what you mean?

It was lame how they got rid of the ricochet in Halo 3 that the Brute Shot had in Halo 2. And that was probably why it wasn't as effective for you.

Not to mention the influx of Brute weapons like the Spiker and Mauler (which were nearly useless on Legendary), Brutes had a tendency to carry Brute Shots a lot less often than they did in Halo 2. In Halo 2, the later levels would have plentiful amounts of Brute Shot ammunition, either from weapon crates or Brutes themselves. In Halo 3, they were carried almost exclusively by high-ranking Brutes, leading to them becoming rare and difficult to utilize without wasting grenades.

And as you said, the ricochet removal was a harsh nerf. There was also a slight damage nerf that led to even Jackals and Grunt Majors (basically the only Grunt unit you face on Legendary in H3) being able to tank two direct grenade hits.

A capable player with a Brute Shot can blaze through Uprising and High Charity in Halo 2. If you combine that with my favorite bug in the series (clone Sergeant Johnson!), you can turn the last two Arbiter levels into a cakewalk.

ElRenoRaven

I was hoping New Blood would be a good read before Halo 5 but the writing is pretty terrible. Maybe I'll plow through it and start Last Light.

See I actually really liked it. I've actually liked all the Halo books post Greg and Karen. Those 2 series were awful minus tiny tidbits here and there.

Monocle

I much prefer the Halo 3 brute shot to the Halo 2 one in multiplayer though. I feel like I'm more accurate with it and it absolutely destroys vehicles by sending them flying due to their concussive force.
Yeah, its shots feel a lot beefier.

Not to mention the influx of Brute weapons like the Spiker and Mauler (which were nearly useless on Legendary), Brutes had a tendency to carry Brute Shots a lot less often than they did in Halo 2. In Halo 2, the later levels would have plentiful amounts of Brute Shot ammunition, either from weapon crates or Brutes themselves. In Halo 3, they were carried almost exclusively by high-ranking Brutes, leading to them becoming rare and difficult to utilize without wasting grenades.

And as you said, the ricochet removal was a harsh nerf. There was also a slight damage nerf that led to even Jackals and Grunt Majors (basically the only Grunt unit you face on Legendary in H3) being able to tank two direct grenade hits.

A capable player with a Brute Shot can blaze through Uprising and High Charity in Halo 2. If you combine that with my favorite bug in the series (clone Sergeant Johnson!), you can turn the last two Arbiter levels into a cakewalk.
That reminds me, I love the Mauler. I call it the Cakeshooter because its range is so bad that unless you're right in the enemy's face you might as well be throwing fistfuls of cake mix at them. (I'm pretty sure I stole that from somewhere, maybe GAF.)

I really like the feel of it though. A point blank blast then a melee tears up Brutes real good. It's effective for charging through Flood hordes too.

That Halo 5 HUD during the wrestling match...

bCkZO3A.jpg

Hey that's my blurry pic! :D

The UFC announcers must have said the words "Halo 5" about 200 times during last nights PPV lol

Really? I didn't see the fight, but normally they just say the name of the game/movie once. What else did they say?

They brought it up during every fighters entrance while they were getting pat down and getting Vaseline rubbed on their face. They also mentioned it almost every other round and sometimes brought out the HUD. The Halo logo was also all over the octagon.

My favorite part of the advertising was the "twitter war" between Cormier and Gustafsson that had #Halo5 in every other tweet lol

Is Forge reveal coming in 30min or is it embargoed for some other time?

Maybe? Probably not, if it is truly getting revealed this week then they might save it toward the end. My guess is if The Sprint starts this week then that may be today if it is 5 episodes like previous seasons (one for each day). But I doubt they would release The Sprint at 3am EST. Probably be around the usual time of 9pm PST (if it comes out today).

That reminds me, I love the Mauler. I call it the Cakeshooter because its range is so bad that unless you're right in the enemy's face you might as well be throwing fistfuls of cake mix at them. (I'm pretty sure I stole that from somewhere, maybe GAF.)

I really like the feel of it though. A point blank blast then a melee tears up Brutes real good. It's effective for charging through Flood hordes too.

It's certainly cool looking, but on Legendary, you can't afford to make mistakes (especially when playing for par score, time, or both), and the standard shotty is a lot more reliable.

Madness

I dunno.

I played the MCC front to back about 2 months ago, and honestly I thought Halo 3 was a pretty jarring come down from Halo 2A. You're right in that 60/1080 was still a nice upgrade for Halo 3, but I thought 2A was absolutely gorgeous - easily my favourite time with the collection - and I think Halo 3 looks rough going into it immediately after 2A.

Not sure I'd be lining up to pay full price for it but.. I think Halo 3A would still be something pretty cool to have.

I'm gonna have to agree with the other guy. I wouldn't be interested as much in a H3A. Not only because unlike the other two games, Halo 3 still looked decent enough because it was a gen ahead, but because how many times will people buy into it, especially after MCC. I mean the game went free on Xbox 360 once, it's now available on Xbox One in 1080p/60fps as part of MCC, as is the entire multi-player suite (whatever playable state it is).

I can start up Halo 3 right now, any level, any map, with 1080p/60fps. You couldn't do that for Halo 2 on Xbox One. Halo CE, it was their first real release/project after getting the Halo rights and was the first of the ten year anniversary for the series. They also utilized it to try and bring players back to Reach with the map pack.

Will I really want to buy Halo 3 Anniversary for improved campaign visuals? Pretty obvious they won't be able to have the same instant switch feature without a massive sacrifice to whatever H3A would run at, just look how much trouble Xbox One had with Halo 2.

Then comes multi-player. I loved the hell out of Halo 3 multi-player. But a large portion also hate it. What could they do to incentivize the multi-player? Maybe a full remake of ALL Halo 3 maps with Halo 5 gameplay? But then, would they really do that? Especially when the goal 2 years from now is probably Halo 6? One of the hardest aspects is adapting the maps of Halo 3 to the new features of Halo 5 gameplay. Maybe they could do ten maps? And a beta of Halo 6 to try and sell the game?

Monocle

It's certainly cool looking, but on Legendary, you can't afford to make mistakes (especially when playing for par score, time, or both), and the standard shotty is a lot more reliable.
Oh, definitely. But the Mauler works fine if you have enough cover to get within its effective range. That is, kissing distance. So it's decent in fairly tight quarters, indoors.

Aux717

Neo Member
I spoke with 343's Multiplayer Design Director Kevin Franklin last week. To answer a couple of gaf's questions:
-Legendary weapons aren't in custom games
-They aren't discussing file sharing
-It has multiplayer (as asked by Stinkles)

I spoke with 343's Multiplayer Design Director Kevin Franklin last week. To answer a couple of gaf's questions:
-Legendary weapons aren't in custom games
-They aren't discussing file sharing
-It has multiplayer (as asked by Stinkles)

Darn!
Does that mean they aren't in forge either?

I wonder why they did that.

Darn!
Does that mean they aren't in forge either?

I wonder why they did that.

Probably so people wont complain about losing their legendary one time use req card in a custom game. They most likely don't have a system in place to put different parameters on the type of req card you are going to use. Just my guess though.

Top Bottom