• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nyko introduces PS4 Data Bank - 3.5" HD bay

Krakn3Dfx

I don't mind it, my PS4 sits horizontally anyway. I currently have a 2TB drive in my PS4, so no hurry for this tho.

LOL at people acting like it's some sort of visual eyesore, I can't imagine a cleaner solution for allowing a 3.5" drive to be installed.

It's really not though...even single games from the Club Nintendo or Mario Kart 8 deals would immediately fill up the internal storage.

I am really and honestly surprised how I am able to have Nintendo Land, Child of Light, DuckTales Rematered, a lot of indies and VC stuff, nearly all DLCs and updates for 20+ retail games and PIKMIN Short Movies and still have 8 GB free. Although I understand that quite a lot of games can eat up all Wii U memory singlehandedly.

AkuMifune

Banned
Buy two and you can have your own Tyrell Building.

1-Screenshot-Blade-Runner-%C2%A9-Warner-Bros.png

My 2TB will be full by the summer at the current rate. I'm not really a -delete games to make room- kinda guy. Provided I get good feedback on the performance and "stability" of 3.5" drives, I'm in.

Teletraan1

Banned
What about power draw? Do the larger drives not require more from the console?

I would imagine that this thing needs some sort of external power. I think 3.5" drives have roughly 2x the power draw compared to a 2.5" drive, even at idle. You can currently just run a sata extension cable from the PS4 into an external drive enclosure housing a 3.5" drive that is powered and do a diy version of this. However rest mode does not work because the drive has to be powered externally. You can install 6TB+ drives using this method.

What the hell is that? I thought the original PS2 had an internal drive bay?

It's the very first PS2 external HDD, made only Japan, for early revisions which supported external drives only (SCPH-10000, I suppose?). Looked pretty darn cool on magazine covers.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
SG-17 said:
What the hell is that? I thought the original PS2 had an internal drive bay?
PS2 was dropping features with HW-revisions more than half-a decade before it became cool to talk about it.
Jpn launch hw didn't have a HDD bay - it came with a PCMCIA and Firewire ports instead. US introduced HDD bay and dropped both of the above ports, and eventually bay and HDD support was dropped in the slim revision (but it added an integrated network card instead and external PS).
And finally SuperSlim got rid of external PS again (ok that's a plus).

NewDust

I'd rather use a SATA extension cable and a molex power supply... Easy to work it out of sight and probably cheaper too.

HUELEN10

I fully support this accessory, and I also criticize Sony for not saying yes to external storage expansion (or expansion period, as you can't add additional storage, you can only replace it; it is impossible to add 2 TB of storage to a PS4 (totaling 2.5 TB Unformatted)).

PS2 was dropping features with HW-revisions more than half-a decade before it became cool to talk about it.
Jpn launch hw didn't have a HDD bay - it came with a PCMCIA and Firewire ports instead. US introduced HDD bay and dropped both of the above ports, and eventually bay and HDD support was dropped in the slim revision (but it added an integrated network card instead and external PS).
And finally SuperSlim got rid of external PS again (ok that's a plus).

Just wanted to add some info - PS2 Slim also added built-in IR sensor for DVD remote.

NickFire

Well I figure 2TB will eventually be too small, so I'm just wasting money if I get a 2TB as my not-final drive, but 1TB is a happy medium. All depends on how many games you end up with, but my PS3 is almost at 1TB despite (mostly) smaller games. I figure in 5 years I'll probably be well over 1 or 2 TB but in the short term nah, because I wont' have all the cheap games I've gotten on PS3.

If they start releasing regular retail games via PS+ then 2 TB may not last long. I just hope it lasts at least until SSD's drop big time in price.

Ducayne

Where's the Xbox version?

Was JUST thinking I hope they announce something like this. Reaching capacity on my internal Xbone HD and would love an additional solution that extends the aesthetic of the device. Something like the Nyko Power bank:

See Sony? This is the kind of stuff that happens when you don't support external HDD's.
This looks nicer than some wire hanging our of my usb front port and a box loosely sitting on my ps4 or the shelf next to it. It also frees up the usb.

I paid $108 for a 2tb drive after black Friday, they are usually around $160+ but the desktop sized droves are half the price and go up t 8tb. When I maxed out the 500gn, over the summer I knew there would be issues. I don't like deleting and want all my loads of games and digital downloads on there. When I have 2 kids using th email console too, and games being 30 - 50 gb a pop for disks... it's an issue.

I am glad they are doing this. For those that don't like it, don't buy it. Just be glad someone is giving us the option to do so.

Etaber

Jesus Sony just support external drives already. Nyko could still do something like this for people who want it to (sorta, kinda) blend in but at least it wouldn't be drilling into the internals of your PS4.

bomblord1

Banned
There are 8TB 3.5" drives.

Maybe my textbooks are out of date but I just took a class on basic computer makeup and it said that the maximum size for a 3.5" magnetic hard drive is 4TB due to physical limitations of the magnetic hard drive format. Or maybe that was 2.5" drives

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Jesus Sony just support external drives already. Nyko could still do something like this for people who want it to (sorta, kinda) blend in but at least it wouldn't be drilling into the internals of your PS4.

Drilling in?

pixlexic

Banned
you dont really need that to add a internal 3.5 drive .. just hook one up with a long sata cable and power cable.

theoretically you should also be able to run a long sata cable from the ps4s hdd slot to an external raid enclosure if you want to get hard core about it .

bomblord1

Banned
don't all retail games require full install on PS4?

with the average game being around 30 GB that's 65 games which is 13 games a year over the course of a 5 year console lifespan. Now I don't know about you but I definitely don't buy even close to 13 games a year for one console.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/12/seagate-ships-8tb-shingled-hard-drive/

This one uses shingled magnetic technology, whatever the hell that means.

Oh, that's fairly recent I guess they made some kind of breakthrough recently

with the average game being around 30 GB that's 65 games which is 13 games a year over the course of a 5 year console lifespan. Now I don't know about you but I definitely don't buy even close to 13 games a year for one console.

I borrow from my local library a lot. It's kind of a pain in the ass to have to install a game, delete it when I return it, then reinstall when I check the game out again at a later date.

Cappa

Banned
Agreed. 1tb is easily managed. If you're filling up then you're playing too many games without finishing others. 2tb is enough room to not have to worry. Anymore is just being incredibly lazy.

Or, 1 TB is enough for YOU and not enough for others. "Being incredibly lazy" sounds like an incredibly dumb statement.

It looks fine. It's not like the PS4 isn't already dumb and blocky looking.

Pretty interested in this since I like to keep installs/patches/DLC on my drive at all times. That said, I'll be holding off until it's confirmed that this won't be a problem:

What about power draw? Do the larger drives not require more from the console?

Top Bottom