• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus' Palmer Luckey funds white-supremacist/misogynistic/anti-lgbt harassment group

Armaros

Yep. If they missed today, they'd have to wait a week for another chance at the Friday News Dump, and given the reaction, they can't wait a week.

They don't have much time before Oculus Connect either. They can't just go forward with that and leave this to fester unaccounted for.

red731

BCDYv.gif

Initially I wondered if this was a "for the lulz" thing, which I have less of a problem with philosophically. To be clear, I'm not okay with it; but I'm much less disgusted by Trump supporters who are so disenfranchised that they just want to shake things up, or break themselves out of some kind of political ennui. If there are enough people like that in society to make a difference to the democratic process, that's a social problem that needs to be recognised and addressed. But nope: he's clearly a dyed-in-the-wool Trump supporter who believes in the man's policies and subscribes to the same perverse philosophy. Gross.

Nah. If you think electing a racist is the appropriate way to "shake things up" then you're stupid, and privledged.

And also racist.

Peltz

It's the racist motivation thats unacceptable.

He supports an organisation that was started by mods who support racist memes.
His girlfriend tweets racist shite which he also publicly supports.

He's a racist.

I can't see how FB can still employ him unless I've got the above wrong.

Right... sorry, I thought that was encompassed in the shitposting. All that shit, yes, is totally unacceptable.

After thinking about it more: man this is a sad situation. Palmer came across as likable and was a good face for VR imo. He was easy to market as this young, enthusiastic guy who helped reinvigorate interest in VR. Having all this come out is a massive bummer. I hope there's some way it's all just a mistake or something, even though it's super unlikely.

Why? I'd much rather have Carmack not working for Facebook.

Carmack focuses on Gear VR right? I'd prefer him to be working on something more major, personally. Gear VR is decent but ultimately super limited compared to the 'bigger' headsets.

Schnozberry

Initially I wondered if this was a "for the lulz" thing, which I have less of a problem with philosophically. To be clear, I'm not okay with it; but I'm much less disgusted by Trump supporters who are so disenfranchised that they just want to shake things up, or break themselves out of some kind of political ennui. If there are enough people like that in society to make a difference to the democratic process, that's a social problem that needs to be recognised and addressed. But nope: he's clearly a dyed-in-the-wool Trump supporter who believes in the man's policies and subscribes to the same perverse philosophy. Gross.

Is that really a position that exists? I could see that being the case if you were voting for a candidate promising to vastly undermine the current government and it's base of power, but Trump just seems to want to seize it in order to punish the kinds of people he doesn't like.

If you're disenfranchised with the political process, maybe support other candidates that aren't literal xenophobes, racist conmen. You don't have to set literal fire to a building if you don't like the way the company is run and want to "shake things up".

My bets are on "Palmer Luckey's political views do not necessarily reflect those of Oculus'. Please understand (and please buy our Oculus Exclusive tm titles)."

edit: Also, as bad as this is, I definitely do not condone the wikipedia edits. Sets a bad precedent and it pains me every time I try to tell someone how much I love Wikipedia and they retort with 'yeah, but anybody can edit and it's filled with inaccuracies." Can we not.

Carmack focuses on Gear VR right? I'd prefer him to be working on something more major, personally. Gear VR is decent but ultimately super limited compared to the 'bigger' headsets.

Mobile VR is the mainstream future of VR I'd say. Having Carmack leading the charge is why it's already as advanced as it is this early.

Aske

If you're disenfranchised with the political process, maybe support other candidates that aren't literal xenophobes, racist conmen. You don't have to set literal fire to a building if you don't like the way the company is run and want to "shake things up".

You sure don't, which is why I don't respect these people. But philosophically, I have much less of a problem with "Fuck everything, I just want to laugh and ruin shit" than I do with "Fellow white people! Let's take back our country!"

Kind of like how I have less of a problem with someone who murders store clerks while commiting armed robbery vs someone who murders women because they're a misogynist who gets off on exherting power over feminists. They're both in need of correction, but one is significantly more unpleasant to me than the other.

I'm at work on mobile and can't type lengthy replies. I already told them to read the Constitution and Washington's final address.

The insistence that the Consitution has anything to do with the two-party system is just wrong. We had an 'Era of Good Feelings' beginning in 1816 under Monroe whose ultimate goal was to eliminate parties altogether.

The two-party system emerged from a variety of factors. Blaming it on the Constitution is extremely limited.

Edit: Sorry I was harsh everyone. I shouldn't have been so pejorative. Happy to continue this discussion at a later point with anyone once I'm at a place where I'm not typing on an iPhone 5 with a broken screen >.<

Washington's farewell address is not law, if it was then the country would be far more isolationist than it is.

Until the 12th Amendment gets changed, the two party system is absolutely entrenched. You simply can not have a 3 or 4 party system where it is a requirement for the victor to win a clear majority. You simply can't.

Your problem seems to stem from the common mistake of treating the Founding Father as if they were a unified group. There were tons of disagreements. Just because Washington and Monroe wanted something doesn't mean that everyone wanted it or that it was a good idea. They spoke out against the idea of political parties and they lost out.

Intentional or not, the two party system is written into the Constitution. How would you propose we go about creating a multiparty system under the current constitution? What would that even look like? Nobody would ever make it to 270. Every election would come down to the current Speaker of the House's choice. You would effectively remove a branch of government. The White House would just become an arm of the Legislative branch.

Avatar bet ? Because i'm sure that he will mysteriously resign / no longer be part of Facebook.

Heheh, no way am I avatar betting on this! I love my GAF account too much. However, I also hope he gets booted. Maybe you are all right. I just have this feeling they are going to try and down-play it rather than get rid of him.

Kind of like how I have more respect for someone who murders store clerks while commiting armed robbery vs someone who murders women because they're a misogynist who gets off on exherting power over feminists. Their both in need of correction, but one is significantly more unpleasant to me than the other.

This is fucking weird.

Heheh, no way am I avatar betting on this! I love my GAF account too much. However, I also hope he gets booted. Maybe you are all right. I just have this feeling they are going to try and down-play it rather than get rid of him.

Ahah that's okay mate, i hope he gets booted too, but i understand your point of view.... In fact, the more i think about it, the more i think you're probably right :-/

You sure don't, which is why I don't respect these people. But philosophically, I have much less of a problem with "Fuck everything, I just want to laugh and ruin shit" than I do with "Fellow white people! Let's take back our country!"

Kind of like how I have less of a problem with someone who murders store clerks while commiting armed robbery vs someone who murders women because they're a misogynist who gets off on exherting power over feminists. Their both in need of correction, but one is significantly more unpleasant to me than the other.

For me the differences are negligible. The people wanting to ruin everything "for the lulz" are only flaunting their privilege by admitting that none of this will matter to them, and that they really don't give a shit about the well-being of the people who will be affected in very real ways. There's obviously a technical difference between them and people who are actively white supremacists, but my difference in (lack of) respect for the two is so minuscule it is functionally not there.

I feel FB has very little reason to keep around after this. They own the company and allegedly they don't really need him anymore to keep working on the technology.

The benefits of kicking him out are much bigger than of those of keeping him. Unless Zuckerberg has some extreme simpathy for him.

Top Bottom