• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus' Palmer Luckey is funding an anti-Hilary shitposting org

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's actually super disappointing... but I'd say that's par for the course in much of the industry/silicon valley. GAF (and some sites like GB) really are the exception as a somewhat center-left oasis of sorts (at least in OT) as there are many large swaths of right-leaning awfulness out there.

GB, really? It must have moved on since the Leigh Alexander appearance all those years ago then, because the outrageously misogynistic reaction to that from a huge number of their fans was far from what you'd expect from a "center-left oasis".

Henkka

Banned
Said it in the other thread, but I'm so disappointed by this. As much shit as they've been getting in GAF VR circles for their huge DRM misstep and the third party software switch, Oculus has funded some great games and there's a lot of merit to their hardware (Touch is really nice). And timewarp!

I hope they dump the dude.

I mean, Oculus is owned by Facebook now, right? Zuckerberg just pledged to give 3 billion dollars to combating disease, I don't see why their business and reputation should be damaged because of Luckey.

johnsmith

remember me
I mean, Oculus is owned by Facebook now, right? Zuckerberg just pledged to give 3 billion dollars to combating disease, I don't see why their business and reputation should be damaged because of Luckey.

He's still an employee. They need to get rid of him.

Because backing Luckey is a big contradiction to that positive image. This is getting too big, it's going to impact business. I'm interested in how they handle Palmer, how Palmer handles himself, and who jumps ship at Oculus.

popcorn.gif

I would love for it to happen but I seriously, incredibly doubt Luckey's going to do any harm to his career, or that anyone other than indie devs are going to end their working relationships with Luckey over this. The alt-right still isn't seen as a hate group by the vast majority of Americans.

Brinbe

GB, really? It must have moved on since the Leigh Alexander appearance all those years ago then, because the outrageously misogynistic reaction to that from a huge number of their fans was far from what you'd expect from a "center-left oasis".

Well, yeah, that was the awful fanbase. I offer no excuses for them. They're still pretty shitty and that can't be helped.

That's not what I meant. I was referring to Jeff and the other personalities, especially someone like Austin when he was there.

I suspect they mean the members of Giant Bomb who all seem to at least lean left, while none of them have ever said as much reading between the lines you can tell. I mean they routinely have several different transgender individuals on as guests, if nothing else.

nomis

You abandoned GB over Leigh Alexander?

mjp2417

Banned

That's their fans, not the site itself. RPS, for example, is much more openly liberal than Giant Bomb and you would still want to take a bath after reading some of their comments sections.

He's still an employee. They need to get rid of him.

As bad as his thoughts maybe, we can't start firing people because of their political opinion, can we?

There is a difference between a right wing or centre right opinion and the Aryan Brotherhood or the KKK.

Armaros

As bad as his thoughts maybe, we can't start firing people because of their political opinion, can we?

There is a difference between a right wing or centre right opinion and the Aryan Brotherhood or the KKK.

If they try to push him out, it will be, 'go resign and enjoy your nice parachute'

Like all high profile corporate 'firings'

johnsmith

remember me

And this is closer to the latter, imo. If he had donated to the RNC nobody would bat an eye.

There's a difference between having a political opinion and investing thousands of dollars into an organization focusing on generating racist memes.

riotous

Banned

Of course they can fire a public figure "face of the company" type employee for terrible PR disasters. This isn't an average employee merely having s political view.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam

I think you misread, he meant the GB community must have moved on from their non-left-wing position after the Leigh Alexander thing. He said nothing about himself.

He himself was mistaking what the other person said as being about the GB community rather than about the GB staff.

mjp2417

Banned

He's a private sector employee who is both the public face of the company and publicly contributing to a hate group. Of course they can fire him.

Where did I say I abandoned them?
Not that it wouldn't be a good reason to - they're response to how their fan base reacted to that was pisspoor. In fact I don't even recal if they followed up on it at all, it was a shitshow.

He's a private sector employee who is both the public face of the company and publicly contributing to a hate group. Of course they can fire him.

Except that its totally illegal in several states, including California. He might be forced to resign somehow, but they can't fire him.

Community has gotten significantly better since then, and all the GB dudes are unabashedly left leaning dudes.

superbeau

Neo Member
I suspect they mean the members of Giant Bomb who all seem to at least lean left, while none of them have ever said as much reading between the lines you can tell. I mean they routinely have several different transgender individuals on as guests, if nothing else.

Yeah I remember the staff and the mods fighting that pretty hard. Brad, Alex, Patrick, & Vinny all seem pretty left wing. Jeff seems very down the middle but came out hard against Gamergate and the harassment. Jeff also said Ryan was way more socially liberal than him.

Their audience at that time though, jeez. Such a huge reaction to nothing.

JackDT

I knew Palmer was a Trump supporter from his twitter. But there's a big difference between 'I hate taxes so I'm voting Trump' or whatever and explicitly supporting alt-right 8chan crap, Milo, etc. That stuff is lowering the level of civility and discourse in our country.

Ugh.

But Oculus is Facebook now. Not Palmer.

I understand and support those who choose to take their business elsewhere, but I personally don't expect to see eye to eye with every employee of every company I engage with. Especially when they aren't even calling the shots.

It's unfortunate, I hope he has a change of perspective as life goes on.

Alienfan

But Oculus is Facebook now. Not Palmer.

This, all Facebook needs to do is apologise and take him off the payroll,so people won't feel like their money is indirectly supporting Trump at such a large scale. I don't see how this news would make anyone decide not to buy an Oculus indefinitely, a product made by thousands of creative individuals and by a company that's partly owned by two very liberal people who recently gave away 3 billion.

Armaros

This, all Facebook needs to do is apologise and take him off the payroll,so people won't feel like their money is indirectly supporting Trump at such a large scale. I don't see how this news would make anyone decide not to buy an Oculus indefinitely, a product made by thousands of creative individuals and by a company that's partly owned by two very liberal individuals who recently gave away 3 billion.

Palmer has been the face of Oculus since it's founding and even into and past the buyout. He is synomious with Oculus.

IrishNinja

I understand and support those who choose to take their business elsewhere, but I personally don't expect to see eye to eye with every employee of every company I engage with. Especially when they aren't even calling the shots.

i understand the logic here, but when someone at the top is proudly chest-thumping about taking consumer's money and propping up hateful shit, it's not something i can ignore.
like, i'm well aware wal-mart very likely supports things i vehemently disagree with, but my options there are limited, and they wisely don't keep it in the press. chik fil-a did, for example, and i no longer support them. likewise here.

cheezcake

Palmer has been the face of Oculus since it's founding and even into and past the buyout. He is synomious with Oculus.

Yeh which is why I'm interested in how Facebook is going to approach this, they need to distance Palmer and Oculus ASAP

tensuke

which helped popularize Trump-themed white supremacist and anti-Semitic memes along with 4Chan and 8Chan.
...which links to an article about how pepe memes are all racist nazi memes now. Do people still not understand the internet? Or memes?

“When they adapt Pepe the green frog and turn it into an anti-Semite, staring into the screen with the World Trade Center behind it, is that cute or funny?” she asked when reached by phone Wednesday.
Or 4chan?

Alienfan

Eh, I just don't think it's very productive to stop buying the Oculus because of its origins - if its current iteration is far removed from the co-creator and he isn't profiting from it, why does it matter? Wasn't Fanta basically Nazi coke at some point? I understand boycotting the Oculus now, but once Palmer is out of the equation, why should this stop people more purchasing one?

i understand the logic here, but when someone at the top is proudly chest-thumping about taking consumer's money and propping up hateful shit, it's not something i can ignore.
like, i'm well aware wal-mart very likely supports things i vehemently disagree with, but my options there are limited, and they wisely don't keep it in the press. chik fil-a did, for example, and i no longer support them. likewise here.

Yeah. It's been a very strange journey with him. I really do wish he would conduct himself in a different manner, overall. Or that Oculus could find someone else to represent the company in a more neutral manner.

For me it was always Carmack who I was interested to hear from, and even he has outlooks I don't agree with (naturally), but he generally seems to conduct himself in a manner that is more healthy for business and consumer trust.

Either way I just wish Luckey would step back a bit, I think he already kind of has (haven't seen him posting on Reddit), but more so. He's gone through some huge changes in his life. It would probably do him some good to get out of the public eye for awhile and get some inner-reflection, as we all need from time to time.

To be fair to GB, I think the whole <> thing was totally just a "let's make some fun of the drunk person" thing that they would've done to anybody, white, black, male, female, whatever, but their fans turned it into a sexist shitshow, unfortunately, especially considering Leigh's political leanings and it's unfortunate they didn't think of that at the time.

I also think the GB of 2016 wouldn't let things get that far with someone not in their inner circle in the 1st place.

To be fair to GB, I think the whole <> thing was totally just a "let's make some fun of the drunk person" thing that they would've done to anybody, white, black, male, female, whatever, but their fans turned it into a sexist shitshow, unfortunately, especially considering Leigh's political leanings and it's unfortunate they didn't think of that at the time.

I also think the GB of 2016 wouldn't let things get that far with someone not in their inner circle in the 1st place.

It was more their lack of visible action following that which was a disappointment than how they behaved on the show.

Breads

Banned
Vive/PSVR it is. Fuck this guy.

For real. Not joking. I was on the fence on which one I should get... now I am no longer uncertain. Fuck oculus.

Another brilliant deflection from Henkka. I'm going to have to make a script to block even quotes from this person. I feel like my annoyance over them is bordering on shitposting.

Window

GB does get pretty political. Just need to listen to GBEast. Vinny, Alex and especially Austin (when he was around) approached some subjects pretty head on. It's clear what side of the political spectrum they lie on. I don't think they pretend to exist in a vacuum.

Had no idea about Luckey. Don't know why people are using this as an opportunity to speculate and pass judgement on Carmack.

For real. Not joking. I was on the fence on which one I should get... now I am no longer uncertain. Fuck oculus.

Another brilliant deflection from Henkka. I'm going to have to make a script to block even quotes from this person. I feel like my annoyance over them is bordering on shitposting.

How is it a deflection? He's saying that they last thing they need is Luckey fucking up their image, so they need to get rid of him.

I think most likely there are people here who would rather he stay to help further vindicate the side they've picked in the great VR platform war of 2016 though. Which is weird.

SilentRob

If I see anyone in the gaming industry working with him ever again I will make sure to never visit that site again. Holy shit. He is a straight-up white supremacist...ah, sorry, no, a white nationalist! He is very sensitive about the difference.

Fuck.

d00d3n

Let's keep things in perspective here.

Backing Trump economically is a shitty thing to do, but his big crime is using big $ to derail the open VR ecosystem that we need and want.

Malakhov

Banned
If I started to boycott everything that is against my political views here in QC, I'd be boycotting pretty much everything. This is ridiculous...

UrbanRats

Backing Trump economically is a shitty thing to do, but his big crime is using big $ to derail the open VR ecosystem that we need and want.

Well Oculus is hardly "open", so this is a good thing for VR, helping prop up the Vive.

I feel like putting money behind 21st century Hitler is a little more shameful than making video games suck for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom