• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus' Palmer Luckey is funding an anti-Hilary shitposting org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Banned
How is it a deflection? He's saying that they last thing they need is Luckey fucking up their image, so they need to get rid of him.

I think most likely there are people here who would rather he stay to help further vindicate the side they've picked in the great VR platform war of 2016 though. Which is weird.

I think I meant it as, I don't understand completely dropping support for Oculus because of this, because 99% of the people working on Oculus aren't Palmer Luckey. You'd be hurting Facebook more than Luckey.

If they don't distance themselves from him in the coming days, then I could understand dropping support.

I think I meant it as, I don't understand completely dropping support for Oculus because of this, because 99% of the people working on Oculus aren't Palmer Luckey. You'd be hurting Facebook more than Luckey.

If they don't distance themselves from him in the coming days, then I could understand dropping support.

How they react to this is the important thing, absolutely. Other than as a figurehead, I doubt he's of any value to them, and a figurehead bankrolling garbage like this could only be damanging to them.

I'd be tempted to switch to another headset next time if they don't sever ties with him.

aznpxdd

Not giving Oculus anymore money after this news, not even kidding. Fuck these Trump supporters...worst of the worst.

Breads

Banned
How is it a deflection? He's saying that they last thing they need is Luckey fucking up their image, so they need to get rid of him.

I think most likely there are people here who would rather he stay to help further vindicate the side they've picked in the great VR platform war of 2016 though. Which is weird.

Is that what they said? That's not what I read. They said that you shouldn't blame Oculus because they are now owned by facebook and their reputation shouldn't be hurt by Luckey. If they had said that Luckey fucked up and Oculus/ Facebook had reason to distance themselves from Lucky then I would actually agree. But it isn't.

Krejlooc

Banned
This isn't the time for cutesy jokes about the value of gaming as cultural collateral. The guy is openly supporting the propagation of racist memes.

I don't see virtual reality as a gaming platform in the long run, no more than I see the internet merely as a portal for online games. VR will ultimately give way to AR, and ubiquitous AR will have a pretty dramatic affect on the world.

I see both topics as being black marks coming from someone who cares quite a bit about both topics.

Henkka

Banned
How they react to this is the important thing, absolutely. Other than as a figurehead, I doubt he's of any value to them, and a figurehead bankrolling garbage like this could only be damanging to them.

I'd be tempted to switch to another headset next time if they don't sever ties with him.

Yeah it's hard to see him being paraded around for interviews anymore, or appearing on magazine covers. Again, really dumb to ruin your reputation over memes, no matter how dank.

The thing with Thiel is that he exposed himself as a soulless technocrat after years of at least humbly running out of fucks to give.

This Palmer fellow, on the other hand, is rich but still finding his footing as the face of an unproven upstart that's heading nowhere fast. With this story blowing up and overshadowing all the good PR that the $3 billion pledge to combat global disease brought, Facebook will be all too eager to excise this cancerous growth and erase all records of his pathetic existence.

He will be rich, but he will be a non-entity. Even more so when Trump gets wiped out in a landslide this November. And the valley is an infamously insular group, so good luck finding someone else to give you the time of day.

Could've been the next Steve Jobs, but instead wants to be the next Milo.

Sad!

LaneDS

Oculus (and Luckey) did a lot this year to lose me as a supporter (I had been enthusiastic about them both since the start and owned a DK2) but if this pans out I'm 100% in support of Vive and PSVR moving forward. Really disappointing to see.

Acorn

Let's keep things in perspective here.

Backing Trump economically is a shitty thing to do, but his big crime is using big $ to derail the open VR ecosystem that we need and want.
Lol

Hell no. Games do not fucking matter compared to real life consequences.

DavidDesu

What bizarre news to wake up to today. Just can't fathom this, I thought Palmer was a doofus, but that he was one of the good guys. Enlightened and forward thinking. Not this. Oh well.

I expect this won't help Oculus much but they were fucking themselves over already with their business decisions (no Touch on launch, trying to clamp down in the market of relative PC openness, cost etc). I can see Facebook ditching Oculus or doing something drastic. At least Zuckerburg has his head screwed on.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
"Sorry about secretly funding a racist, misogyinistic organization! My bad!"

No, no, these people always say "sorry you were offended!"

This is getting too big, it's going to impact business.

popcorn.gif

Wow, you're not kidding. Anyone Googling this guy is going to find a lot of articles about this.

So is Zuckerberg making some calls right now that one of the faces of the technology he paid a few billion for is hurting the companies image?

Zakalwe

Banned
"Delicious memes" makes my skin crawl too. I didn't know these people could become less attractive than they were.

Horrible.

Because backing Luckey is a big contradiction to that positive image. This is getting too big, it's going to impact business. I'm interested in how they handle Palmer, how Palmer handles himself, and who jumps ship at Oculus.

popcorn.gif

Oh shit, it's getting big? I wonder if Zuckerberg is feeling about this? I think right now he is making all the calls to cut Luckey loose from Oculus.

But any way you slice it, Luckey is fucked. No one, not a soul is gonna want to deal with this toxic guy after this fiasco. Not a one. I hope every single person or company that dealt with Luckey are thinking real hard about cutting ties with him, because if I was in their shoes right now I certainly would.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit, it's getting big? I wonder if Zuckerberg is feeling about this? I think right now he is making all the calls to cut Luckey loose from Oculus.

But any way you slice it, Luckey is fucked. No one, not a soul is gonna want to deal with this toxic guy after this fiasco. Not a one. I hope every single person or company that dealt with Luckey are thinking real hard about cutting ties with him, because if I was in their shoes right now I certainly would.

There's even an article on The Guardian.

This is not just a gaming industry thing now.

It was more their lack of visible action following that which was a disappointment than how they behaved on the show.

I think GB had to do some growing on that front. I wouldn't be surprised if Leigh Alexander felt a bit like she got thrown under the bus for the E3 stuff, and perhaps rightfully so--she didn't deserve any of that hot mess. But the Giant Bomb staff were better about locking down E3/GDC livestream chats later on when they would get misogynist (I think shortly after their move to a "real" studio they posted a message about not harassing the shit out of their guests), they were more vocal about rejecting the hate aimed at Samantha Allen after the Dan/Jason hiring, and then of course the Gamergate response, which was one of the first in the game writing industry (though still arguably pretty late in the game).

It sucks that Alexander was the one who had to pay the price for GB's inaction and significant shitty parts of their community (which, by the way: also parts of OUR community, the GAF thread that year was pretty hard on her), but I think the crew did take some lessons from that whole debacle.

Let's keep things in perspective here.

Backing Trump economically is a shitty thing to do, but his big crime is using big $ to derail the open VR ecosystem that we need and want.

It's true, making sure VR games are playable across all platforms is a much more important issue than trying to lock down the entire country to Muslims and forced deportation, or any of a thousand other things Trump might do. There's no way any of that stuff could affect me more than "fuck I can only play this VR game on an Oculus Rift."

Morts

Weird that the source of the story seems to be Palmer himself, unless I missed something. Maybe he's pretty confident this won't hurt him?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Weird that the source of the story seems to be Palmer himself, unless I missed something. Maybe he's pretty confident this won't hurt him?

He has rich boy blinders on. I'm sure he's been really insulated since Oculus took off, and he didn't really seem socially adept before then. His rude awakening is happening as I type.

Alo0oy

Banned
Oh shit, I forgot that Gear VR is part of Occulus, I never gave a shit about traditional VR, but I wanted to buy GVR.

No Gear VR for me until something else for smartphones shows up.

Oculus (and Luckey) did a lot this year to lose me as a supporter (I had been enthusiastic about them both since the start and owned a DK2) but if this pans out I'm 100% in support of Vive and PSVR moving forward. Really disappointing to see.

Yeah, I face palmed this morning when I read this news. What an ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom