• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

CFMOORE!

how does the store for purchasing games through this work, if it is running android wouldn't it HAVE to go through some kind of Google operated store where they too would take a cut on top of Ouya's cut? Or is Ouya planning on some kind of OS licensing deal that allows them to setup and exclusively control the distribution of games separately?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
you actually think they'll have the manpower to implement changes in time / not succumb to some insane form of hubris? that's rich.

It's a prototype. They haven't gone into production yet. I guess you also thought that the PS3 was going to have the batarang controller.

And hubris? Seriously?

Saw the KS campaign earlier today and scoffed at it. Then I read this OT and see that ED fraking FRIES is involved and my interest is piqued.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
how does the store for purchasing games through this work, if it is running android wouldn't it HAVE to go through some kind of Google operated store where they too would take a cut on top of Ouya's cut? Or is Ouya planning on some kind of OS licensing deal that allows them to setup and exclusively control the distribution of games separately?

I think anyone can make their own marketplace on the Android platform. That's what Amazon did. Android is open source.

Rimfya

Banned

See Kindle Fire

So, as someone who doesn't know anything about hacking or tech or whatever, and just, you know, plays games, is this not the product for me?

Umm, they are only manufacturing 21,000 of these for Kickstarter backers. Once the 21,000 sell out, the money will stop trickling.

Read pledges $95 and $99.

Originally it was 1000 early birds + 5000 at $99 + the others above that tier.

It was increased twice (first to 10,000, then 20,000), and it will occur again to suit demand.

dLMN8R

It's $99 for a start.

It's also a lot simpler.

I currently have an Acer Revo hooked up to my TV as an HTPC, but outside of it being extremely slow for everything but playing back video, I'm also dealing with Windows on a huge TV, which isn't really that fun. Sure I could use XBMC, but it's still just a shell on top of a complicated thing.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Whoa.

BombCast just made it appealing to me. Once hacked it could just play NES games.

Sold.

You don't need to hack it, there's software that readily lets you play those games. There's no need to hack, it's open-source. People Write, not Hack.

There's even an app to unlock apps.

It has the capabalities to play PS2 games because of its power, (more powerful than PS3), however there is yet an emulator app for playing PS2 games because phones are weaker. But since this has released, it can be picked up.

You can play PS1 gen down games at 60FPS however. But I would suggest only if you own the games. :D

MrBS

This could not turn out any better than something like the GP2X could it? I just sorta see this thing running a lot of emulators and not a whole lot else. Maybe it'll be a good set-top box.

Also I'm a bit surprised this wasn't being run on straight-up Linux.
Came to post this. Much like the GP32 and its ilk it will only be popular for emulators.

Sophia

Not terribly interested in Android games, but I'm highly interested in the HTPC, Emulation, and app functionality that could come from it.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
No device with a Tegra 3 chip is more powerful than current gen consoles. Not even close.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. :\

Anyways, hopefully this will be the nail in the coffin for iOS, or at least get the market on par.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
PS3 controller support would make this a lot more appealing.

360 controller support would be AWESOME.

Cartman86

Banned

To even get the Google Store (Google Play) on an Android device you have to meet certain requirements to be "Android Certified". You don't have to get certified to use Android though. I don't know if this device would pass the test nor if they want to actually certify it.

Odrion

Banned
We have Xbox Live Indie Games, and there is also the potential release of a Steambox, with Steam Greenlight.
Microsoft's support for independent game development is an embarrassment. And if the "comfy couch" arguments still exist today, then the PC catching on as a mainstream home media device is over with.

Cartman86

Banned
Would the Android OnLive app be okay on this service? OnLive doesn't have demos for all their games does it?

Honestly I just go crazy with all this media box shit. The second you say you're running Android 4.0 on this box I say make it a full on Android on TV and have the "Ouya" front end be an app of some sort. I want to download and install any app I want from the play store dammit!

PS: With the open nature of this thing I could see that happening. With future devices or just simple hacking of this box...wish it had more ram *runs away*.

pargonta

as a companion to next gen consoles this could be rad. undercutting the mobile space's one strength by creating game library parity with mobile devices in the console space is pretty sweet.

ps4 $400
720 $400
wii u $300
ouya $100

solid choices, and ouya with approachable fare would come off as a great companion to a traditional console with richer fare. we need expansive expensive games just like we need the more focused, simple games, so ouya by itself is not the future. it fills its niche though, and would fit nicely against the traditional consoles. viva la home console market indeed.

Cartman86

Banned
I'm in. Looks interesting enough for $100. Even if it just turns out to be a weird media player.

Good luck with that.

Yeah not gonna happen. Yeah if it does well it will sky rocket Android up to parity with iOS for games, but games aren't going to kill iOS, and either way you're gonna be playing those same games on your Android with the exact same interface.

shaowebb

I like this a lot. I can develop indy stuff and directly release to this. I hope it takes off and gains more support from android market developers in the form of ports. A cheap android console thats open source sounds fun to me to work on.

Pachimari

I pledged $149 yesterday.

By the way, do any of you guys know how I can get a hold of an OnLive MicroConsole if I live outside the US and UK?

Top Bottom